themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Show Reviews => Topic started by: m3kcomp on August 15, 2008, 06:57:52 PM

Title: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: m3kcomp on August 15, 2008, 06:57:52 PM
so did anyone else actually go to this? I decided to stop lurking to start this thread since I thought it was by far the better of the two NYC shows...Brooklyn was cool, but this was much, much more enjoyable for me...

The asshole contingent was still in full force...some little drunk dipshit was screaming Dale and Buzzo's names every five seconds in my ear...and thowing his beer on people below (yes, I was a rail hugger on the mez.)...and another hipster was spitting beer down on the people below...

also thought there'd be less of a cluster-eff of a pit than Brooklyn, but was wrong on that count as well...

one happy side effect from the assholes attending was actually getting to hear Buzz address the crowd for the first time out of the 12 times I've seen them...I was thrilled to finally hear him speak during a set...

great show...glad I went both nights, in spite of the same setlist. Boris was the highlight both nights...though the entire show was amazing...

again, anyone else have anything interesting to report from last night?
Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: dontyoutellme on August 15, 2008, 10:01:55 PM
what did buzz say? i wish i couldve gone to this one too but was unable... i dont remember if ive seen them at bowery before- i think irving plaza is their usual nyc stop (mnhtn)... i would def be on the mezz for a venue like bowery
Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on August 15, 2008, 10:34:20 PM
Quote from: dontyoutellme on August 15, 2008, 10:01:55 PM
what did buzz say? i wish i couldve gone to this one too but was unable... i dont remember if ive seen them at bowery before- i think irving plaza is their usual nyc stop (mnhtn)... i would def be on the mezz for a venue like bowery
Why? Is the Bowery full of tough guys and hooligans?
Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: ZAPPAJOE on August 15, 2008, 10:37:42 PM
Buzz (and Dale) pretty much just called out some drunk asshole that was proud of himself for barrelling onto the stage.  When he jumped back off into the crowd he nearly kicked some girl in the face.  Buzz's rant was pretty funny.  Ironically, this all happened during "My Generation"

I had a great time at the show.  Straight up front dead center for the whole thing.  Had to elbow a few jackasses away as they tried to make their way into my spot. 

All in all the Melvins are pretty much my favorite "heavy" band for lack of a better description. 

See ya next year fellas . . .
Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: Pelican on August 15, 2008, 10:52:45 PM
m3kcomp, you must have been standing right next to me. I was one person to the right of that guy who threw his drink on the crowd, and those guys were yelling "Buzz" and "Dale" in my ear too. My girlfriend was standing to my right. Also, they screamed along to the Star Spangled Banner. When that guy threw his drink on the crowd I just stared at him and he goes "I had to do it". I didn't say anything, he was loaded.  Plenty of obnoxious drunks last night. At the end, whoever took the drink thrower's place tried to lower the red velvet rope down into the crowd, but gave up. I'm glad he didn't let it go, the brass ends definitely would have hurt someone if it hit them in the head.

Bowery was definitely the better of the two NYC shows. I've never seen a bad concert in that place, it always sounds great.

I liked watching the first idiot try to get up on stage over by Jared. Jared skipped a few notes, took a step over, grabbed the guys head like a bowling ball and shoved him back into the crowd and went right back to playing. It was hilarious. Then, the second idiot was great too. Dale saying "You know one in every four New Yorkers has herpes." Then pointing people out in the crowd: "One, two, three, herpes...  One, two, three herpes... One, two, three, herpes.." While Buzz gave his rant about drunk assholes and not caring if they die. I'm glad that dude jumped up there, it was hilarious, I like to hear Buzz rant.

Definitely a great show. It's always the same set list for the two night stops in NYC, I see them both nights every tour and they never change the set list. I don't really mind though. I try to look at it as having a sneak preview one night, and the real thing the next. It always seems like the better venue and the better show then is on the second night anyway.
Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: m3kcomp on August 15, 2008, 11:27:19 PM
yeah, I was 2 people behind you...some dipshit forcefully wedged himself between where your girlfriend was and where I was standing...those 2 dudes were pulling on the railing to my right with enough force I thought it would give...then they moved over to behind where you were for the second half of the set...looks like a bunch of people got some lovin' from those shits.

I was trying to figure out what Dale was saying...since I missed his first line...that's hilarious.

I liked Buzz's statement to the effect of, "You may think we're into hurting people, but we're not." (in response to the types who think the music they hear means demons are on stage) but then also saying how "We're not your parents, so we don't care if you die." so fucking funny.

was nice to talk to Walsby a bit more last night...that guy seems as down to earth as they come...bought MC3, now I want the first two...and really wish I had bought a hand-drawn poster...

Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: turnacus on August 16, 2008, 12:07:46 AM
A shame you city boys don't have the same manners as the upstate gents in Buffalo or Rochester
Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: drunkenmonkey on August 16, 2008, 04:41:31 PM
Indeed, the BB show was the better of the two. And Buzzo's comments were valid and to the point.

There's nothing, short of murder, we can do about the hipster factor. It's always been there. Even before there was a term for them. They will come. They will evetually go. And the ones who have a clue 'evolve' from being a hipster, to being a music fan.
Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: turnacus on August 16, 2008, 08:46:35 PM
Better hipsters than SXE gangs or skins.
Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: dontyoutellme on August 16, 2008, 09:30:35 PM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on August 15, 2008, 10:34:20 PM
Quote from: dontyoutellme on August 15, 2008, 10:01:55 PM
what did buzz say? i wish i couldve gone to this one too but was unable... i dont remember if ive seen them at bowery before- i think irving plaza is their usual nyc stop (mnhtn)... i would def be on the mezz for a venue like bowery
Why? Is the Bowery full of tough guys and hooligans?

nah, its just a killer mezz.
Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on August 16, 2008, 09:34:33 PM
Quote from: dontyoutellme on August 16, 2008, 09:30:35 PM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on August 15, 2008, 10:34:20 PM
Quote from: dontyoutellme on August 15, 2008, 10:01:55 PM
what did buzz say? i wish i couldve gone to this one too but was unable... i dont remember if ive seen them at bowery before- i think irving plaza is their usual nyc stop (mnhtn)... i would def be on the mezz for a venue like bowery
Why? Is the Bowery full of tough guys and hooligans?

nah, its just a killer mezz.
The el rey, and the palace..err i think it changed names..but anyways..both have great mezzanines.  Both in hollywood.
Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: black stallion on August 17, 2008, 06:20:14 AM
Quote from: Pelican on August 15, 2008, 10:52:45 PM
Dale saying "You know one in every four New Yorkers has herpes." Then pointing people out in the crowd: "One, two, three, herpes...  One, two, three herpes... One, two, three, herpes.."
:lol:
Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: Anticlimactic on August 17, 2008, 09:47:48 PM
Unfortunately, I didn't get to attend this one.  But from what I've read here - what a difference a year makes...what happened??  A lot of drunks this year, eh?  Last year's NYC show, which was at the Fillmore if I remember correctly - was one of the calmest I've attended. 

QuoteI liked watching the first idiot try to get up on stage over by Jared. Jared skipped a few notes, took a step over, grabbed the guys head like a bowling ball and shoved him back into the crowd and went right back to playing.

:lol:

Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: dontyoutellme on August 18, 2008, 12:16:49 AM
melvins standard issue pepper spray.
Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: Lunica on August 18, 2008, 02:53:55 AM
12 shows without rants? I've seen them around 10 times or something too, and I think he's said something in the majority of the shows, at least half.
Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: m3kcomp on August 18, 2008, 05:28:44 PM
seriously...not a word from Buzz  in 12 shows going back to Roseland in 1993 opening for Primus.

so you can imagine my reaction when he started pontificating while playing a chord every few sentences.

I loved it, but it was a shock how it finally brought an end to my memory's never-ending Melvins set...
Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: ___-----_____------_____ on August 18, 2008, 08:09:14 PM
Quote from: Lunica on August 18, 2008, 02:53:55 AM
12 shows without rants? I've seen them around 10 times or something too, and I think he's said something in the majority of the shows, at least half.

yeah,  he use to be a motor-mouth, couldn't get the guy to tone it down.  But I guess I'd be referring to shows 5, 6 years ago and prior.  Now he rarely talks at all... although I can relate.
Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: Pelican on September 12, 2008, 10:04:35 PM
Someone posted a cell phone video of the rant, I think this is at least half of the rant. Listen for Dale in the background doing the "one in five New Yorkers has herpes" chant. Good stuff, thanks to whoever took it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZRduKiFVFo&feature=related
Title: Re: Bowery Ballroom, NYC - 8/14
Post by: black stallion on September 13, 2008, 06:37:07 AM
Quote from: Pelican on September 12, 2008, 10:04:35 PM
Listen for Dale in the background doing the "one in five New Yorkers has herpes" chant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZRduKiFVFo&feature=related
:lol: