themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Discussion => Topic started by: hour_of_the_wolf on January 23, 2009, 01:08:59 PM

Title: Electroretard reissue
Post by: hour_of_the_wolf on January 23, 2009, 01:08:59 PM
Maybe it has been answered before. Will IPECAC  acquire the rights and reissue it at some point? I missed picking it up back in the day and the Amazon vendor prices for copies is ridiculous! Fifty bucks and up!
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: glen on January 23, 2009, 01:14:52 PM
many rumors swirl about an electroretard reissue with added material.

but I've never heard anything official.
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: spunkmonkey on January 23, 2009, 01:53:02 PM
They occasionally have some at shows for a reasonable price.
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: turnacus on January 23, 2009, 02:04:23 PM
For the longest time, it was the only album in stock at circuit city. Glad I bought it.
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: hour_of_the_wolf on January 23, 2009, 02:21:25 PM
While they are at it, IPECAC should reissue the Amphetamine Reptitle Records releases Prick, Honky and the compilation Singles Vol 1-12 as well. Isn't Stag from the Atlantic years also OOP?
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: gesundheit on January 23, 2009, 03:39:32 PM
I recently bought Stag at a record store but it was an "import" version.

Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: cara on January 23, 2009, 04:34:55 PM
Maybe it'll be included in the Ipecac boxset
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: (PAUL) on January 23, 2009, 04:56:31 PM
I could see them getting the AmRep stuff no problem, but I don't think they could get the rights to Stag back, which sucks because that's a great album. Would love to be proved wrong, though. Question: did Prick come out on vinyl, and if so, wouldn't Pure Digital Silence actually be in analog?
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: Idlehanz on January 23, 2009, 06:31:12 PM
Yes and yes.
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: hour_of_the_wolf on January 23, 2009, 08:19:47 PM
I guess IPECAC negotiating with a major like Atlantic for Stag would be a royal pain, not to mention expensive. Not like the thing sold millions of copies even though it should have, in a perfect world.

To quote Thurston Moore from 1991: The Year Punk Broke. "The first thing we have to do is destroy the record companies". Amen.
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: anaconda on January 23, 2009, 08:28:57 PM
let's not knight Thurston just yet, he did spend 15 cushy years on Geffen.

as for Electroretard, Kozik probably wants a piece of the action,
it came out on his old label

fact: Electroretard is in my Melvins top 3.


HAT
Ozma
Electroretard
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: turnacus on January 23, 2009, 09:13:35 PM
Quote from: anaconda on January 23, 2009, 08:28:57 PM
let's not knight Thurston just yet, he did spend 15 cushy years on Geffen.

as for Electroretard, Kozik probably wants a piece of the action,
it came out on his old label

fact: Electroretard is in my Melvins top 3.


HAT
Ozma
Electroretard

I agree with HAT and Ozma. I like Electroretard, but I could never see it as a legit release.  It's interesting to be sure, the covers all rock, but Shit Storm and new Revolve are a bit worthless.
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: r40f on January 23, 2009, 09:30:58 PM
Quote from: turnacus on January 23, 2009, 09:13:35 PM
Quote from: anaconda on January 23, 2009, 08:28:57 PM
let's not knight Thurston just yet, he did spend 15 cushy years on Geffen.

as for Electroretard, Kozik probably wants a piece of the action,
it came out on his old label

fact: Electroretard is in my Melvins top 3.


HAT
Ozma
Electroretard

I agree with HAT and Ozma. I like Electroretard, but I could never see it as a legit release.  It's interesting to be sure, the covers all rock, but Shit Storm and new Revolve are a bit worthless.

revolve is great.  maybe better than the original.  electroretard is one of their best albums...   not in my top 3 though.
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: Dr.Benway on January 23, 2009, 09:36:57 PM
Quotelet's not knight Thurston just yet, he did spend 15 cushy years on Geffen.

Yeah, but he loathed every minute of it. 
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: anaconda on January 23, 2009, 09:38:17 PM
$$$
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: Dr.Benway on January 23, 2009, 09:58:46 PM
Quote from: Dr.Benway on January 23, 2009, 09:36:57 PM
Quotelet's not knight Thurston just yet, he did spend 15 cushy years on Geffen.

Yeah, but he loathed every minute of it. 
oops.

Yeah, but he loathed every minute of it. 
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: danimal on January 23, 2009, 11:34:56 PM
i read something a while back saying they were originally planning to relese electroretard w/boinus tracks but decided against it because there were still a lot of copies floating around
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: Justafilthylurker on January 24, 2009, 05:21:50 AM
For some reason, Stag seems to be their most well stocked album in my part of the world.

And Electroretard is definately one of their best.
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: black stallion on January 24, 2009, 07:18:33 AM
guess sometimes it appears on ebay,i got a copy from there,check it out! love where it says,Dale:drums,b vocals,organ and RMS 2000 8)
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: Captain CoryCory on January 24, 2009, 10:27:05 AM
I feel kinda lucky to have found a used promo copy of Stag for eight dollars.

I'm just glad they might be re-issuing Lysol, Ozma, and Bullhead.
Title: Re: Electroretard question
Post by: flyinghouses on January 24, 2009, 03:28:26 PM
They should leave the others alone. The band is into collecting and should put that energy into new material. Re-releasing Electroretard would be a good idea, being on Mans Ruin.
Title: Electroretard reissue
Post by: Duane100 on May 18, 2009, 04:18:41 PM
Did anyone else see this? There's a pretty big interview with Greg Werckman in the latest Rock-A-Rolla and apparently Ipecac will be reissuing Electroretard some time in the near future   :D
www.rock-a-rolla.com (http://www.rock-a-rolla.com)
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: the ether bunny on May 18, 2009, 04:32:25 PM
this has been rumored to happen for some time now. lets hope it happens.
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: anaconda on May 18, 2009, 04:37:08 PM
they must have finally reached an agreement with kozik.
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: I am the Sun on May 18, 2009, 05:15:43 PM
this is really great news. I wouldn't be surprised if the reissue has a few bonus tracks
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: Like Stee on May 18, 2009, 06:10:00 PM
Vinyl?
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: >>>JZS<<< on May 18, 2009, 08:05:16 PM
YES, extra tracks would be nice (more remixes?). I doubt Ipecac would release vinyl, but they might let Hydrahead do it.
I bet they change the art, like GPT & 26 songs.
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: Chomas on May 18, 2009, 08:44:05 PM
kinda silly unless they give us a few more songs (please!)

it's one of my favorite Melvins albums actually
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: perusha on May 18, 2009, 09:37:06 PM
Not really.  For a lot of people it's hard to find...
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: I am the Sun on May 19, 2009, 12:40:43 AM
I'll buy it with or without bonus tracks but I'm positive that they'll put some extras on it, especially since they did with the 10 Songs and Gluey Porch Treatments reissues.
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: rhett E rock on May 19, 2009, 01:19:15 AM
don't they still sell copies of these at the shows???
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: Captain CoryCory on May 19, 2009, 10:01:25 AM
I'd love to get a physical copy of this. It's definitel one of the more interesting albums I've heard from them. Really like Youth of America (Who Dosen't?), Tipping The Lion (that song has really grown on me) and Lovely Butterflies.
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: Rev. Mike on May 19, 2009, 10:13:08 AM
I don' t think this had anything to do with Kozik holding it up, when Man's Ruin folded he gave all the rights to everything back to the bands, and he is not concerned with reuse of artwork as long as he is made aware of what is happening.  I am guessing like most stuff Melvins this had more to do with looking forward instead of looking back.
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: anaconda on May 19, 2009, 11:23:35 AM
Interesting. I coulda swore there something on gig posters a few years ago about issues over re-using the exisiting artwork???
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: Rev. Mike on May 19, 2009, 12:04:22 PM
I could be wrong.  Kozik did sell the rights to a lot of his artwork, so this maybe fell under that.  I know he stated on GP that he didn't care if people used his old artwork for projects as long as they contacted him first.
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: anaconda on May 19, 2009, 12:32:07 PM
Cool Mike, now I'm very curious to see if they do new artwork for the re-issue or not.
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: Green Honey on May 25, 2009, 09:05:53 PM
FOR SALE
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=200346156638
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: maggot on April 13, 2010, 03:26:30 AM
Why Electroretard cd is so rare and expensive?  :shock:
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: glen on April 13, 2010, 06:00:33 AM
Quote from: maggot on April 13, 2010, 03:26:30 AM
Why Electroretard cd is so rare and expensive?  :shock:

the label that released it (MANSRUIN) is no longer in existance.  therefore the album is out of print.
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: (the) Razor on April 13, 2010, 06:05:10 AM
Can't argue with that explanation.
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: anaconda on April 13, 2010, 06:16:51 AM
Still my favorite Melvins cover art of all time.

interesting fact: Altamont - Our Darling was one of the last records released by MansRuin
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: norecess on April 13, 2010, 06:30:25 AM
Quote from: anaconda on April 13, 2010, 06:16:51 AM
interesting fact: Altamont - Our Darling was one of the last records released by MansRuin

drumb one of the first!
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: (the) Razor on April 13, 2010, 06:36:29 AM
Many fine records from that label.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man%27s_Ruin_Records_discography (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man%27s_Ruin_Records_discography)
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: glen on April 13, 2010, 06:38:52 AM
interesting fact:  frank kozik CEO

as you already likely knew.
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: >>>JZS<<< on April 13, 2010, 01:18:13 PM
 :D Fun Fact...
Man's Ruin Records was Rise Records before it was Man's Ruin.
Which would make the Hooch 7'' picture disc one of the very first releases.

I think the original Rise records had about 15-20 releases & both Lindsey Kuhn
& Kozik did cover art. This Rise records is not related to the new one.

I only have 4 Rise releases on vinyl...

Wet -  7'' (red vinyl) 'Eating Out Is Fun'/'Magic Forehead Vision' - RR-73 '92-'93
Melvins - 7'' (pic. disc) 'Hooch'/'Sky Pup' - RR-76/Atlantic("Satanic Sellout") '93
Stretford - 7" (blue vinyl) 'Zerox Love'/'Last Days Home' - RR-77  '93-'94
Moist Fist - 12" (black LP) S/T - RR-121 '93 (cover is very similar to 'Electroretard' cover, except blind girl is standing.)

...The catalog numbers don't represent how many releases Rise had, they start at RR-71.
(http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp172/seder71/L-150-52687-1240833104.jpg)(http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp172/seder71/113880492.jpg)
(http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp172/seder71/MR-WET.jpg)(http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp172/seder71/us_7pd_fr-bk.jpg)(http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp172/seder71/R-1007475-1183396557.jpg)
(http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp172/seder71/51DJgddHPFL_SS500_.jpg)

Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: Mesteren on April 14, 2010, 04:14:02 AM
I once tried to do a complete list of Rise Records releases.

You can see the attempt here:
http://www.grunnenrocks.nl/label/r/riserecords.htm (http://www.grunnenrocks.nl/label/r/riserecords.htm)
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: Leroy on April 14, 2010, 09:14:31 AM
Are the Melvins still doing the re-release thing of any past albums?  Haven't heard any word for a while, last one was Melvins Demos from 83
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: Idlehanz on April 14, 2010, 09:17:32 AM
Quote from: Leroy on April 14, 2010, 09:14:31 AM
Are the Melvins still doing the re-release thing of any past albums?  Haven't heard any word for a while, last one was Melvins Demos from 83
Nothing's announced.
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: Rev. Mike on April 14, 2010, 09:42:36 AM
Boner reissues coming at some point, hopefully.  Still a possibility on the Ipecac box set.
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: Idlehanz on April 14, 2010, 10:38:03 AM
Guess I should have said no dates announced :)
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: Leroy on April 14, 2010, 11:15:37 AM
The liner notes from Buzz would be very interesting if Electroretard were to be re-released. 


I remember a while back someone said they would include the cover songs from the HAT 7 inch records, but I am doubtful that would happen.
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: Rusty Shackleford on April 14, 2010, 11:35:15 AM
box set



             
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: glen on April 14, 2010, 02:05:13 PM
Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on April 14, 2010, 11:35:15 AM
box set



             

....with all previously released material.

#-o

but I'll still buy it anyway.


#-o #-o
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: norecess on April 14, 2010, 02:51:09 PM
so, who'd buy a 'melvins in mono' boxset?
Title: Re: Electroretard reissue
Post by: >>>JZS<<< on April 14, 2010, 08:39:09 PM
Quote from: norecess on April 14, 2010, 02:51:09 PM
so, who'd buy a 'melvins in mono' boxset?

only if it came on reel to reel tape.