themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Discussion => Topic started by: DC on February 25, 2010, 11:14:32 AM

Title: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: DC on February 25, 2010, 11:14:32 AM
http://www.bonnaroo.com/artists.aspx

With a buncha shitty bands thrown in there for good measure!

(although flaming lips doing Dark Side of The Moon would be pretty sweet)
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Angus Khan on February 25, 2010, 11:26:45 AM
It's like an indie festival organised purely for rich students.  Melvins definitely stick out.  Id go watch Melvins and Clutch then get drunk and abusive and throw things at kings of leon.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: rictus on February 25, 2010, 11:58:31 AM
Quote from: Dc on February 25, 2010, 11:14:32 AM
(although flaming lips doing Dark Side of The Moon would be pretty sweet)

Yeah, I'd like to see that too.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: MIVSY on February 25, 2010, 12:10:15 PM
there's some vidoes of them playing it on youtube. it's not as impressive as it sounds. :(
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: deatheats on February 25, 2010, 12:19:08 PM
Quote from: Cato Fong on February 25, 2010, 12:10:15 PM
there's some vidoes of them playing it on youtube. it's not as impressive as it sounds. :(

I would have to say most youtube videos are not as impressive as they sound :)
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: MIVSY on February 25, 2010, 12:24:51 PM
i would agree. i think the flaming lips are one of the best concerts i've ever seen. are they some of the best live musicians i've ever seen? definately not. it's my opinion that they just don't have the musical talent to pull something like this off. well maybe steven drozd does, but come on, michael ivins can't even play bass standing up. :wink:
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: spunkmonkey on February 25, 2010, 12:48:41 PM
Quoteit's my opinion that they just don't have the musical talent to pull something like this off

I don't think there's anything too technical or difficult about playing Dark Side of the Moon.  I could never get into the Lips anyway.  I've tried, but they just don't do anything for me.  The one time I saw them live, they were blown off the stage by the Butthole Surfers.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: MIVSY on February 25, 2010, 01:05:34 PM
Quote from: spunkmonkey  The one time I saw them live, they were blown off the stage by the Butthole Surfers.
/quote]
well yeah! :lol:
what year did you see them. i think the present day flaming lips stage show is pretty hard to beat, but the music seems to come second.

i can never edit and quote shit right
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: bongzilla420 on February 25, 2010, 01:25:54 PM
Yeah i would just go to bonaroo to see melvins and les claypool. everything else pretty much looks like it sucks.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: ManWithNoName on February 25, 2010, 02:01:27 PM
Quote from: spunkmonkey on February 25, 2010, 12:48:41 PM
Quoteit's my opinion that they just don't have the musical talent to pull something like this off

I don't think there's anything too technical or difficult about playing Dark Side of the Moon.  I could never get into the Lips anyway.  I've tried, but they just don't do anything for me.  The one time I saw them live, they were blown off the stage by the Butthole Surfers.

I agree on both counts but I think there aren't that many bands out there that can stand up to a Butthole Surfers show.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: blackjosh on February 26, 2010, 04:53:17 PM
ANGUS: great avatar!

i'm going to the big tent show.  F yeah. .jay-Z
i got 99 problems
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: >>>JZS<<< on February 27, 2010, 02:52:14 AM
     * Dave Matthews Band (seriously?)
    * Kings of Leon (seriously?)
   * Stevie Wonder
    * Jay-Z (99 problems,but only one good song)
   * Tenacious D (who gives a shit any more?)
   * Weezer (like 2 songs,but who gives a shit any more?)
   * The Flaming Lips performing Dark Side of the Moon featuring Stardeath and White Dwarfs (yawn...pass)
   * The Dead Weather (waaay over rated)
    * Damian Marley and Nas (who ? what?)
   * Phoenix (who?)
   * Norah Jones (seriously?)
   * Michael Franti and Spearhead (seriously?)
   * John Fogerty (yawn...pass)
   * Regina Spektor (no idea ?)
   * Jimmy Cliff
   * LCD Soundsystem (no idea ?)
   * The Avett Brothers (who?)
   * Thievery Corporation (waaay over rated)
   * Rise Against (waaay over rated)
   * Tori Amos (waaay over rated) & (who gives a shit any more?)
   * The National (no idea?)
   * Zac Brown Band (who?)
   * Les Claypool (waaay over rated) & (who gives a shit any more?) & (seriously?)
   * John Prine (yawn...pass)
   * The Black Keys (yawn...pass)
   * Steve Martin & the Steep Canyon Rangers
   * Jeff Beck
   * Dropkick Murphys (waaay over rated) & (who gives a shit any more?)
   * She & Him (who?)
   * Against Me! (waaay over rated) & (who gives a shit any more?)
   * Deadmau5 (don't listen to bands with numbers in the name, sum41,3doors down....etc.)
   * Daryl Hall & Chromeo (I can't go for that,no,nooaw,no can do.)
   * Jamey Johnson (who?)
   * Clutch (not a fan,music's ok,singer not so much)
   * Bassnectar (never heard of 'em,ain't gonna google 'em)
   * Kid Cudi (waaay over rated) & (who gives a shit any more?)
   * The Disco Biscuits (??? can't be good)
   * Kris Kristofferson (yawn,pass)
   * Medeski Martin & Wood (seriously talented & seriously boring)
   * The xx (can't be better than the one X)
   * GWAR ( after you see them once,what's the point) & (who gives a shit any more?)
   * Dan Deacon Ensemble (yawn..pass)
   * Tinariwen (never heard of 'em,ain't gonna google 'em)
   * Wale (?...hobo humpin' slobo...?)
   * Baaba Maal (never heard of 'em,ain't gonna google 'em)
   * The Melvins
   * The Gaslight Anthem (never heard of 'em,ain't gonna google 'em)
   * Miike Snow (never heard of 'em,ain't gonna google 'em)
   * The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (never heard of 'em,ain't gonna google 'em)
   * Dr. Dog (never heard of 'em,ain't gonna google 'em)
   * They Might Be Giants (waaay over rated) & (who gives a shit any more?)
   * Punch Brothers featuring Chris Thile (never heard of 'em,ain't gonna google 'em)
   * Isis (yawn...pass)
   * Blitzen Trapper (holy shit ! this is the worst band on the fucking planet)
   * Blues Traveler (seriously?)
   * Miranda Lambert (who?)
   * Calexico (waaay over rated) & (who gives a shit any more?)
   * Gary Chardonnay (never heard of 'em,ain't gonna google 'em)
   * OK Go (no go)
   * Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue
   * Martin Sexton (never heard of 'em,ain't gonna google 'em)
   * Lotus (never heard of 'em,ain't gonna google 'em)
   * Baroness (waaay over rated)
   
Don't see nuthin'  past this point.......So,IMO,we got Stevie Wonder, Jimmy Cliff, Steve Martin & the Steep Canyon Rangers, Jeff Beck,
 Trombone Shorty(who I'm pretty sure plays on STAG) & Orleans Avenue...........and  the Melvins.  

                                                                :lol:  6 good bands out of how many? for $250  :lol:



Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Angus Khan on February 27, 2010, 09:42:18 AM
Quote from: blackjosh on February 26, 2010, 04:53:17 PM
ANGUS: great avatar!

i'm going to the big tent show.  F yeah. .jay-Z
i got 99 problems
Thanks.  I'm a big fan of Bobby Peru.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: (the) Razor on February 27, 2010, 06:55:49 PM
I was wondering who that was (the actor, not the character), the face was so familiar.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: >>>JZS<<< on February 27, 2010, 07:18:45 PM
Quote from: Razor on February 27, 2010, 06:55:49 PM
I was wondering who that was (the actor, not the character), the face was so familiar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G56TRBUNkq4

(http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s69/anameyoucantrust/bobby_peru.jpg)
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: blackjosh on March 13, 2010, 04:54:56 PM
Why has no one mentioned WEEN?  it's not on the bonnaroo site.  but the band released a statement saying they were playing.
Also, I was initially disappointed about Flaming Lips doing DSOTM, but it could be really cool. who knows?
maybe.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: MrLuck87 on March 13, 2010, 09:29:03 PM
Quote from: >>>JZS<<< on February 27, 2010, 02:52:14 AM
   
   * Les Claypool (waaay over rated) & (who gives a shit any more?) & (seriously?)

Did you know at least 5 members here used to post at Primus' message board until that board went to shit?
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: sanpablobay on March 14, 2010, 11:25:43 AM
Quote from: MrLuck87 on March 13, 2010, 09:29:03 PM
Quote from: >>>JZS<<< on February 27, 2010, 02:52:14 AM
   
   * Les Claypool (waaay over rated) & (who gives a shit any more?) & (seriously?)

Did you know at least 5 members here used to post at Primus' message board until that board went to shit?

some still occasionally do. what up seas of luck? long time.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: MrLuck87 on March 14, 2010, 07:49:23 PM
Quote from: sanpablobay on March 14, 2010, 11:25:43 AM
Quote from: MrLuck87 on March 13, 2010, 09:29:03 PM
Quote from: >>>JZS<<< on February 27, 2010, 02:52:14 AM
   
   * Les Claypool (waaay over rated) & (who gives a shit any more?) & (seriously?)

Did you know at least 5 members here used to post at Primus' message board until that board went to shit?

some still occasionally do. what up seas of luck? long time.

Not much.  Thinking of going to High on Fire in two weeks but don't really want to go by myself. 
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: >>>JZS<<< on March 15, 2010, 12:13:23 AM
Quote from: MrLuck87 on March 14, 2010, 07:49:23 PM
Quote from: sanpablobay on March 14, 2010, 11:25:43 AM
Quote from: MrLuck87 on March 13, 2010, 09:29:03 PM
Quote from: >>>JZS<<< on February 27, 2010, 02:52:14 AM
   
   * Les Claypool (waaay over rated) & (who gives a shit any more?) & (seriously?)

Did you know at least 5 members here used to post at Primus' message board until that board went to shit?

some still occasionally do. what up seas of luck? long time.

Not much.  Thinking of going to High on Fire in two weeks but don't really want to go by myself. 

Primus ,the Bobby McFerrin of the 90's.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Angus Khan on March 15, 2010, 09:13:41 AM
I love Primus.  Primus rule or maybe they suck I forget which is appropriate.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: MrLuck87 on March 15, 2010, 02:03:07 PM
Quote from: >>>JZS<<< on March 15, 2010, 12:13:23 AM

Primus ,the Bobby McFerrin of the 90's.

I don't get it.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Angus Khan on March 15, 2010, 02:15:52 PM
I think he means they were a novelty wacky act that disappeared.  Difference with Primus is they were  no novelty one hit wonders.  They released loads of perfect albums and made alot of people happy.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: MrLuck87 on March 15, 2010, 02:21:14 PM
Quote from: Angus Khan on March 15, 2010, 02:15:52 PM
I think he means they were a novelty wacky act that disappeared.  Difference with Primus is they were  no novelty one hit wonders.  They released loads of perfect albums and made alot of people happy.

Yea I don't get that.  A few of their albums went platinum, they did the South Park theme, and the shows they played this past decade all sold out.  Once you get past the weirdness they really were phenomenal songwriters.

Did you know that Buzz is in the DMV music video?  Blink and you'll miss it.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M_jh4CA8a8
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: rictus on March 15, 2010, 02:23:50 PM
Quote from: Angus Khan on March 15, 2010, 02:15:52 PM
They released loads of perfect albums and made alot of people happy.

Sadly, Bobby McFerrin made no one happy, and made alot of people worried.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Angus Khan on March 15, 2010, 02:40:42 PM
Quote from: rictus on March 15, 2010, 02:23:50 PM
Quote from: Angus Khan on March 15, 2010, 02:15:52 PM
They released loads of perfect albums and made alot of people happy.

Sadly, Bobby McFerrin made no one happy, and made alot of people worried.
:lol: Classic
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: sanpablobay on March 17, 2010, 08:34:25 AM
Anybody that thinks Primus is/was a novelty act has clearly never listened to any Primus beyond "Wynona's". Open your ears fools.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: >>>JZS<<< on March 17, 2010, 09:00:26 AM
Quote from: sanpablobay on March 17, 2010, 08:34:25 AM
Anybody that thinks Primus is/was a novelty act has clearly never listened to any Primus beyond "Wynona's". Open your ears fools.

Yeah,yeah, keep flappin'.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Angus Khan on March 17, 2010, 09:58:49 AM
Primus are on a par with the Melvins for me.  Other than a few songs off antipop they have never released a proper turkey.  I love them and always will.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: ManWithNoName on March 17, 2010, 11:12:01 AM
Never was able to get into Primus. Don't get what all the fuss is about. I also think Claypool is overrated.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: MrLuck87 on March 17, 2010, 01:33:07 PM
Quote from: ManWithNoName on March 17, 2010, 11:12:01 AM
Never was able to get into Primus. Don't get what all the fuss is about. I also think Claypool is overrated.

They're like a screwy mix of funk, punk, and The Residents.  It shouldn't work but it does.

Out of curiosity what albums have you listened to?
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: spunkmonkey on March 17, 2010, 01:34:58 PM
Eh, Frizzle Fry & Sailing the Seas... are good albums.  I can do without everything after that though.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: MrLuck87 on March 17, 2010, 01:56:47 PM
Quote from: sanpablobay on March 17, 2010, 08:34:25 AM
Anybody that thinks Primus is/was a novelty act has clearly never listened to any Primus beyond "Wynona's". Open your ears fools.

Seriously.  Wynona is cool but it'd be like if The Melvins' "I Like Porn" became a huge hit.  It's a fun song that doesn't represent the band well.

Damn it this thread is going way off in another direction.  Maybe I should resurrect that other Primus thread.  Actually it seems like that thread also went way off into some other random topic.

Bonnaroo sucks.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: pinkyslim on March 17, 2010, 02:58:03 PM
I have to concur w/ manwithnoname.
Primus  to me were a silly bass heavy band.  Most fans were "RUSH" nerd types who have no taste in music. :lol:
Les Claypool is blabbermouthing fool.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: MrLuck87 on March 17, 2010, 03:01:49 PM
Quote from: pinkyslim on March 17, 2010, 02:58:03 PM
I have to concur w/ manwithnoname.
Primus  to me were a silly bass heavy band.  Most fans were "RUSH" nerd types who had no taste in music. :lol:
Les Claypool is blabbermouthing fool.

When I went to their live show in 2004 it was probably the most diverse crowd I had ever seen in my life.  Rednecks, "punks", hipsters, hippies, wannabe rappers, it was amazingly weird.

I can't stand Rush.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: anaconda on March 17, 2010, 03:05:28 PM
The first 8 RUSH albums are essential!!!!!!!! they only started to lose it around Grace Under Pressure.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: rictus on March 17, 2010, 03:12:57 PM
Geddy Lee is overrated.






:lol:
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: anaconda on March 17, 2010, 03:16:11 PM
The tour with Rush was the last time I physically saw the Melvins live and it was fantastic.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Jozzy on March 17, 2010, 03:32:59 PM
Quote from: rictus on March 17, 2010, 03:12:57 PM
Geddy Lee is overrated.






:lol:

:lol:
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: pinkyslim on March 17, 2010, 03:36:33 PM
Quote from: MrLuck87 on March 17, 2010, 03:01:49 PM
Quote from: pinkyslim on March 17, 2010, 02:58:03 PM
I have to concur w/ manwithnoname.
Primus  to me were a silly bass heavy band.  Most fans were "RUSH" nerd types who have no taste in music. :lol:
Les Claypool is blabbermouthing fool.

When I went to their live show in 2004 it was probably the most diverse crowd I had ever seen in my life.  Rednecks, "punks", hipsters, hippies, wannabe rappers, it was amazingly weird.

I can't stand Rush.

PRIMUS is a "good" version of The SPIN DOCTORS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Watch me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAlQ1cR6X9Q&feature=PlayList&p=3D1A8B077AA9B8C4&index=0

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e86omL8uzks
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: pinkyslim on March 17, 2010, 03:45:57 PM
Quote from: anaconda on March 17, 2010, 03:16:11 PM
The tour with Rush was the last time I physically saw the Melvins live and it was fantastic.

you live a sheltered life or you are a veal.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: anaconda on March 17, 2010, 03:54:37 PM
moved to Canada.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: MrLuck87 on March 17, 2010, 04:40:03 PM
Quote from: pinkyslim on March 17, 2010, 03:36:33 PM
Quote from: MrLuck87 on March 17, 2010, 03:01:49 PM
Quote from: pinkyslim on March 17, 2010, 02:58:03 PM
I have to concur w/ manwithnoname.
Primus  to me were a silly bass heavy band.  Most fans were "RUSH" nerd types who have no taste in music. :lol:
Les Claypool is blabbermouthing fool.

When I went to their live show in 2004 it was probably the most diverse crowd I had ever seen in my life.  Rednecks, "punks", hipsters, hippies, wannabe rappers, it was amazingly weird.

I can't stand Rush.

PRIMUS is a "good" version of The SPIN DOCTORS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Watch me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAlQ1cR6X9Q&feature=PlayList&p=3D1A8B077AA9B8C4&index=0

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e86omL8uzks

Just because the bassist slaps doesn't mean they sound anything alike.  Spin Doctors sound more like Hootie and the Blowfish with slap bass.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Buick GN on March 17, 2010, 05:29:14 PM
Quote from: MrLuck87 on March 17, 2010, 03:01:49 PM
Quote from: pinkyslim on March 17, 2010, 02:58:03 PM
I have to concur w/ manwithnoname.
Primus  to me were a silly bass heavy band.  Most fans were "RUSH" nerd types who had no taste in music. :lol:
Les Claypool is blabbermouthing fool.

When I went to their live show in 2004

There's your problem, jumped on the bandwagon several years too late.

There was a period of about a year where they played in the BayArea EVERY other weekend.

Saw them over 18 times, actually lost count. Les drew two mosquitoes on the hood of a VW, that I owned back in the day. Under his art he wrote, "Keep on Suckin"

My roomie had his photos put on/in the Frizzle Fry album, had Les & Lers home phone number, and received full roam of the stage to every show he attended. The first time I saw them.. Les & Ler were riding their skateboards down 1st st of San Ho.

Not trying to be a prick just sayin'

Every band has a peak and a beginning. You missed their beginning.

Shit, "Jerry was a race.." was waaay out of the "Rock radio" full rotation by the time you saw them.

Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: pinkyslim on March 17, 2010, 05:55:24 PM
Quote from: anaconda on March 17, 2010, 03:54:37 PM
moved to Canada.

yikes..
how's the blueberry kush? 8)

Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: pinkyslim on March 17, 2010, 06:01:38 PM
Quote from: Buick on March 17, 2010, 05:29:14 PM
Quote from: MrLuck87 on March 17, 2010, 03:01:49 PM
Quote from: pinkyslim on March 17, 2010, 02:58:03 PM
I have to concur w/ manwithnoname.
Primus  to me were a silly bass heavy band.  Most fans were "RUSH" nerd types who had no taste in music. :lol:
Les Claypool is blabbermouthing fool.

When I went to their live show in 2004

There's your problem, jumped on the bandwagon several years too late.

There was a period of about a year where they played in the BayArea EVERY other weekend.

Saw them over 18 times, actually lost count. Les drew two mosquitoes on the hood of a VW, that I owned back in the day. Under his art he wrote, "Keep on Suckin"

My roomie had his photos put on/in the Frizzle Fry album, had Les & Lers home phone number, and received full roam of the stage to every show he attended. The first time I saw them.. Les & Ler were riding their skateboards down 1st st of San Ho.

Not trying to be a prick just sayin'

Every band has a peak and a beginning. You missed their beginning.

Shit, "Jerry was a race.." was waaay out of the "Rock radio" full rotation by the time you saw them.



Maybe.  I saw them around '93ish??
Bass slapping hillbillies schtick got old quick.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: MrLuck87 on March 17, 2010, 06:12:48 PM
Quote from: Buick on March 17, 2010, 05:29:14 PM
Quote from: MrLuck87 on March 17, 2010, 03:01:49 PM
Quote from: pinkyslim on March 17, 2010, 02:58:03 PM
I have to concur w/ manwithnoname.
Primus  to me were a silly bass heavy band.  Most fans were "RUSH" nerd types who had no taste in music. :lol:
Les Claypool is blabbermouthing fool.

When I went to their live show in 2004

There's your problem, jumped on the bandwagon several years too late.

There was a period of about a year where they played in the BayArea EVERY other weekend.

Saw them over 18 times, actually lost count. Les drew two mosquitoes on the hood of a VW, that I owned back in the day. Under his art he wrote, "Keep on Suckin"

My roomie had his photos put on/in the Frizzle Fry album, had Les & Lers home phone number, and received full roam of the stage to every show he attended. The first time I saw them.. Les & Ler were riding their skateboards down 1st st of San Ho.

Not trying to be a prick just sayin'

Every band has a peak and a beginning. You missed their beginning.

Shit, "Jerry was a race.." was waaay out of the "Rock radio" full rotation by the time you saw them.



Umm...okay?  They were good when I saw them but I prefer watching 1991 and Brown Album era shows on youtube instead of the HallucinoGentics DVD.  I was just pointing out that Primus has the most diverse group of fans out of any other semi-recent band I know about.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Angus Khan on March 18, 2010, 10:06:45 AM
I agree with ya MrLuck.  No point trying to defend them really.  We both know that primus are/were great and nobody's opinion will change that.  I never even saw them live and the fact that the English press hated them meant that they never came over to Ireland or probably europe for their latter tours.  Hallucinogenetics is well performed but seems lacking in enthusiasm or maybe I just wanna see Brain back in the fold as Brown album for me was their highlight.
What do you think of Miscellaneous Debris and Rhinoplasty by the way?  I can't get enough of "family and the fishing net"
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: the bloat on March 18, 2010, 10:22:41 AM
I'm a big fan of Rhinoplasty. The Brown album and Tales from the Punchbowl came out during those all-important formative years of youth and although I appreciate Pork Soda, Cheese, Frizzle Fry, etc. Those two really resonate with me. Rhinoplasty has some killer stuff on it. I have never owned Anti Pop - I thought it was kinda awkward and not good.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Angus Khan on March 18, 2010, 10:32:14 AM
Quote from: the bloat on March 18, 2010, 10:22:41 AM
I'm a big fan of Rhinoplasty. The Brown album and Tales from the Punchbowl came out during those all-important formative years of youth and although I appreciate Pork Soda, Cheese, Frizzle Fry, etc. Those two really resonate with me. Rhinoplasty has some killer stuff on it. I have never owned Anti Pop - I thought it was kinda awkward and not good.
antipop has it's moments, they just went overboard with the guest stars.  Lacquer head, electric uncle sam, coattails of a dead man and electric eclectic are great songs.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: MrLuck87 on March 18, 2010, 04:44:18 PM
Quote from: Angus Khan on March 18, 2010, 10:06:45 AM
I agree with ya MrLuck.  No point trying to defend them really.  We both know that primus are/were great and nobody's opinion will change that.  I never even saw them live and the fact that the English press hated them meant that they never came over to Ireland or probably europe for their latter tours.  Hallucinogenetics is well performed but seems lacking in enthusiasm or maybe I just wanna see Brain back in the fold as Brown album for me was their highlight.
What do you think of Miscellaneous Debris and Rhinoplasty by the way?  I can't get enough of "family and the fishing net"

Miscellaneous Debris is a great EP.  I love it from start to finish.  Rhinoplasty is cool too.  I always smile hearing Bob Cock in the background of family and the fishing net.  It probably contains my favorite version of Tommy the Cat too.

Anti-Pop is okay.  Liquid Sky used to be one of my favorite songs but I think Les has overused that effect lately.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boDQmJk9LEo  Oh yes...
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: ManWithNoName on March 19, 2010, 10:19:53 PM
I saw Primus a few summers ago at the bluesfest in Ottawa. Honestly, that crowd had some of the biggest douchebags I have ever seen at a show. PASS.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Buick GN on March 19, 2010, 10:31:37 PM
After "Sailing..." everybody and their brother were hip to them. They soon were embraced by every Frat house across the land.

Game over.

That's the last purchase they saw from me.

Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: >>>JZS<<< on March 19, 2010, 11:30:46 PM
Quote from: anaconda on March 17, 2010, 03:16:11 PM
The tour with Rush was the last time I physically saw the Melvins live and it was fantastic.

Whaaaaat? you're kidding right?
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: anaconda on March 19, 2010, 11:59:14 PM
No man, it's true. That's why I was so obsessive about collecting live DVDs.
I will be travelling out to BC to see them on July 5th though for the Bride tour.
It's going to be a blast. I'm going to spend a few days with my mom in Squamish
as well. First time I'll be seeing her in 5 years! besides chatting on cam.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Buick GN on March 20, 2010, 07:20:57 AM
^Awesome news, 'conda.

:cheers:

Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Idlehanz on March 20, 2010, 09:48:21 AM
Quote from: anaconda on March 19, 2010, 11:59:14 PM
.
I will be travelling out to BC to see them on July 5th though for the Bride tour.


Sweet.  I shall buy you a beer.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: pinkyslim on March 20, 2010, 10:54:25 AM
Quote from: anaconda on March 19, 2010, 11:59:14 PM
No man, it's true. That's why I was so obsessive about collecting live DVDs.
I will be travelling out to BC to see them on July 5th though for the Bride tour.
It's going to be a blast. I'm going to spend a few days with my mom in Squamish
as well. First time I'll be seeing her in 5 years! besides chatting on cam.

i am perplexed WHY you reside out of America? :-k
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Buick GN on March 20, 2010, 11:04:04 AM
US Department of Justice, Federal Witness Protection Program - Porn Division.

:wink:

Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Angus Khan on March 20, 2010, 01:03:58 PM
Quote from: Buick on March 19, 2010, 10:31:37 PM
After "Sailing..." everybody and their brother were hip to them. They soon were embraced by every Frat house across the land.

Game over.

That's the last purchase they saw from me.


It's hard to believe that.  We don't have frat houses here but we do have sports obsessed idiot rich kids and they wouldn't dream of listening to Primus let alone even know who Primus are.  Only Primus fans here are musician types or people with overall good taste in music, Primus never appealed to a certain click of people here really.  That is really disturbing though that in the states they appeal to that crowd.  It's nearly enough to put me off them.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: rictus on March 20, 2010, 01:19:38 PM
I've never met a frat boy who liked Primus. Only stoners.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: pinkyslim on March 20, 2010, 05:50:57 PM
Quote from: Angus Khan on March 20, 2010, 01:03:58 PM
Quote from: Buick on March 19, 2010, 10:31:37 PM
After "Sailing..." everybody and their brother were hip to them. They soon were embraced by every Frat house across the land.

Game over.

That's the last purchase they saw from me.


It's hard to believe that.  We don't have frat houses here but we do have sports obsessed idiot rich kids and they wouldn't dream of listening to Primus let alone even know who Primus are.  Only Primus fans here are musician types or people with overall good taste in music, Primus never appealed to a certain click of people here really.  That is really disturbing though that in the states they appeal to that crowd.  It's nearly enough to put me off them.
:idea:


dude,
you are a sharp man.  There are SO MANY other bands and so little time..
Here are a few you may or may not already have in your rotation..

Angel Rot-LA/NY
Burnt by the sun-New Jersey
Bongzilla-Wisconsin
Beaver-Neatherlands
Cavity-Florida
CROM from LA
Chokebore-LA/Europe
Concentrick-SF
Cutthroats 9-SF/LA
more to come my friend. :D
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Buick GN on March 20, 2010, 09:02:12 PM
Quote from: rictus on March 20, 2010, 01:19:38 PM
I've never met a frat boy who liked Primus. Only stoners.
Bah!!

You didn't spend your college years in the Bay, Brocephus.   [-X

Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: MrLuck87 on March 20, 2010, 09:16:14 PM
Quote from: Buick on March 20, 2010, 09:02:12 PM
Quote from: rictus on March 20, 2010, 01:19:38 PM
I've never met a frat boy who liked Primus. Only stoners.
Bah!!

You didn't spend your college years in the Bay, Brocephus.   [-X

Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: rictus on March 20, 2010, 09:56:22 PM
Quote from: Buick on March 20, 2010, 09:02:12 PM
Quote from: rictus on March 20, 2010, 01:19:38 PM
I've never met a frat boy who liked Primus. Only stoners.
Bah!!

You didn't spend your college years in the Bay, Brocephus.   [-X

Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Angus Khan on March 22, 2010, 09:47:42 AM
Quote from: pinkyslim on March 20, 2010, 05:50:57 PM
dude,
you are a sharp man.  There are SO MANY other bands and so little time..
Here are a few you may or may not already have in your rotation..

Angel Rot-LA/NY
Burnt by the sun-New Jersey
Bongzilla-Wisconsin
Beaver-Neatherlands
Cavity-Florida
CROM from LA
Chokebore-LA/Europe
Concentrick-SF
Cutthroats 9-SF/LA
more to come my friend. :D

Never been called a sharp man before so thanks very much.  Thanks for the ideas too.  I like Bongzilla and Burnt by the sun the others I will check out.  Wasn't it you who said that real men eat pussy and listen to Crom?  Also in your avatar what's the painting on the wall it looks brilliant.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: pinkyslim on March 22, 2010, 12:09:12 PM
Quote from: Angus Khan on March 22, 2010, 09:47:42 AM
Quote from: pinkyslim on March 20, 2010, 05:50:57 PM
dude,
you are a sharp man.  There are SO MANY other bands and so little time..
Here are a few you may or may not already have in your rotation..

Angel Rot-LA/NY
Burnt by the sun-New Jersey
Bongzilla-Wisconsin
Beaver-Neatherlands
Cavity-Florida
CROM from LA
Chokebore-LA/Europe
Concentrick-SF
Cutthroats 9-SF/LA
more to come my friend. :D

Never been called a sharp man before so thanks very much.  Thanks for the ideas too.  I like Bongzilla and Burnt by the sun the others I will check out.  Wasn't it you who said that real men eat pussy and listen to Crom?  Also in your avatar what's the painting on the wall it looks brilliant.

Thanks.
The painting is an Anthony Ausgang.  A trailbllazer of modern art..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Ausgang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Ausgang)

fyi-  I bid on the Ausgang painting in 1995 at a art show early in the day..later in the evening David Lee Roth tried to hand me 10k for it.  I passed.
He likes  Ausgang ALOT and has used his art on some of his shitty solo stuff..


Crom-Real men shoot arrows and eat pussy
http://www.myspace.com/crom1 (http://www.myspace.com/crom1)

enjoy CROM- they are the best thing out of LA next to MELVINS.  Fun guys who will play for key hits.
http://www.myspace.com/crom1 (http://www.myspace.com/crom1)
:twisted:




[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: Angus Khan on March 22, 2010, 03:31:30 PM
I never realised what was going on in the small version of the painting.  I like it alot.  Well done for not giving into David Lee Roth.  That's a cool cowboy guy in your photo too.  Kinda looks like my old man.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: jules on May 31, 2010, 10:13:12 AM
How much do you pay for a Melvins gig in the 'States? I'd guess $10 to $20 depending on venue?
The last few I've been to in the UK have ranged from
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: gesundheit on May 31, 2010, 11:47:00 AM
The Melvins show tomorrow night was $22 with the convenience fee through the ticket agency the Casbah uses. Could've bought them for $18 at the venue I think.
Title: Re: A really expensive melvins ticket
Post by: jules on May 31, 2010, 11:56:15 AM
Quote from: gesundheit on May 31, 2010, 11:47:00 AM
The Melvins show tomorrow night was $22 with the convenience fee through the ticket agency the Casbah uses. Could've bought them for $18 at the venue I think.
I hate that extra fee shit. Ticketweb charge you to print your own fucking ticket.  :x