themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Discussion => Topic started by: MrLuck87 on June 16, 2010, 05:33:23 PM

Title: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: MrLuck87 on June 16, 2010, 05:33:23 PM
This was retweeted by themelvins.net on Twitter but I haven't seen it posted here.  It's a great read!

http://www.self-titledmag.com/home/2010/06/16/primer-buzz-osborne-breaks-down-10-crucial-melvins-records-including-their-amp-less-album-and-the-one-kurt-cobain-ruined/ (http://www.self-titledmag.com/home/2010/06/16/primer-buzz-osborne-breaks-down-10-crucial-melvins-records-including-their-amp-less-album-and-the-one-kurt-cobain-ruined/)

Nude With Boots

"People keep telling me this is a
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: the ether bunny on June 16, 2010, 05:56:52 PM
QuoteStag (Atlantic, 1996) We had a blast making this great, great record and I think it shows. I got to get a whole lot of music out of me that I never had before. I was listening to a lot of Fuggs at this point and it rubbed off, especially on songs like
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Mount Ambulance on June 16, 2010, 07:41:17 PM
Man the FUGS (one G) absolutely rule! Perhaps the first "punk" band ever? In ideology anyway. Check out the Fugs 1st, 2nd, or Virgin Fugs releases ... all absolute CLASSICS! The Melvins should cover "Frenzy" ... or "Coca Cola Douche".
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Chomas on June 16, 2010, 10:18:34 PM
I prefer Houdini Live to the original myself.  Buzz is spot on here, he is good at looking at his own stuff objectively.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Fishheadphil on June 16, 2010, 11:47:26 PM
Crantastic.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Like Stee on June 17, 2010, 12:05:24 AM
Quote from: change&suffocation on June 16, 2010, 10:18:34 PM
I prefer Houdini Live to the original myself.  Buzz is spot on here, he is good at looking at his own stuff objectively.
Yes he is.  He's spot on about C.O.D. as well.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: bonzo on June 17, 2010, 02:53:28 AM
"Do you like boobs a lot?"



(http://realitystudio.org/images/bibliographic_bunker/fuck_you/fuck_you.03.jpg)
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: MrLuck87 on June 17, 2010, 03:48:43 AM
Quote from: rhyme orange on June 17, 2010, 02:53:28 AM
"Do you like boobs a lot?"



(http://realitystudio.org/images/bibliographic_bunker/fuck_you/fuck_you.03.jpg)

(http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/6463/larsulrichmetallicabitt.jpg) (http://img686.imageshack.us/i/larsulrichmetallicabitt.jpg/)

Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: (((O))) on June 17, 2010, 05:34:04 AM
Oh man this is an amazing read. After this, i want a follow up one with Buzz talking about the other albums now tho!!!  :( Guess i'll have to re-listen to COD once again too!  :?
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: ManWithNoName on June 17, 2010, 07:45:04 AM
Great read. I can't believe HAT is the album they've had the most returns on. That's crazy!!!
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Justafilthylurker on June 17, 2010, 07:57:15 AM
Quote from: OsbourneIt
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Dubwise Ministry Juan on June 17, 2010, 08:58:53 AM
Nice find.

Always interesting to hear folk talk about their own albums.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: rictus on June 17, 2010, 09:17:56 AM
I thought this was interesting about HAT:

Quotewe had more returns for this record than any other we
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: jonE5 on June 17, 2010, 11:44:50 AM
Think I'm going to have to listen to C.O.D. again now. Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: EGO the Living Planet on June 17, 2010, 12:13:00 PM

Very nice. Thank You!


QuoteI've been saying this since the album came out.  It's still one of my favorites and probably my favorite of the Jared and Coady era.

...and Thank you! I agree completely. I've been really surprised by the lack of love I keep seeing for Nude With Boots lately. I like it a lot and it's been climbing my list of favorite MELVINS albums since it came out.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Like Stee on June 17, 2010, 01:43:24 PM
Quote from: EGO the Living Planet on June 17, 2010, 12:13:00 PM

Very nice. Thank You!


QuoteI've been saying this since the album came out.  It's still one of my favorites and probably my favorite of the Jared and Coady era.

...and Thank you! I agree completely. I've been really surprised by the lack of love I keep seeing for Nude With Boots lately. I like it a lot and it's been climbing my list of favorite MELVINS albums since it came out.
I immediately preferred it to ASA when it came out, but over time I've come to appreciate ASA more than NWB.  That said, The Bride Screamed Murder is hands down the best record with this lineup.  (So far).
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: black stallion on June 17, 2010, 01:44:44 PM
Quote from: Like Stee on June 17, 2010, 01:43:24 PM
Quote from: EGO the Living Planet on June 17, 2010, 12:13:00 PM

Very nice. Thank You!


QuoteI've been saying this since the album came out.  It's still one of my favorites and probably my favorite of the Jared and Coady era.

...and Thank you! I agree completely. I've been really surprised by the lack of love I keep seeing for Nude With Boots lately. I like it a lot and it's been climbing my list of favorite MELVINS albums since it came out.
I immediately preferred it to ASA when it came out, but over time I've come to appreciate ASA more than NWB.  That said, The Bride Screamed Murder is hands down the best record with this lineup.  (So far).
i agree with everything you said
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: MrLuck87 on June 17, 2010, 02:04:22 PM
Quote from: (((O))) on June 17, 2010, 05:34:04 AM
Oh man this is an amazing read. After this, i want a follow up one with Buzz talking about the other albums now tho!!!  :( Guess i'll have to re-listen to COD once again too!  :?

This came out in 2005.  http://books.google.com/books?id=7ioEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA19&lpg=PA19&dq=melvins+kevin+cmj&source=bl&ots=IRrimMZJbx&sig=NBujiVGpQlBxOWP1vnPonKp1g4Q&hl=en&ei=PXAaTLfZNoWBlAfbvM20Cg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=true (http://books.google.com/books?id=7ioEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA19&lpg=PA19&dq=melvins+kevin+cmj&source=bl&ots=IRrimMZJbx&sig=NBujiVGpQlBxOWP1vnPonKp1g4Q&hl=en&ei=PXAaTLfZNoWBlAfbvM20Cg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=true)
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on June 17, 2010, 02:15:13 PM
Thanks mr luck
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Like Stee on June 17, 2010, 02:27:41 PM
Yes, thanks luck, another awesome read.  My favorite part of that is their description of Dale: "speedo-clad drum bulldozer Dale Crover."

Buzz' opinion of HAT was a little different back then.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Stonergrunge on June 17, 2010, 03:23:54 PM
How can anyone buy HAT and then return it? that makes no sense...

... well, maybe THEY bought it:

(http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=150662&d=1217277034)

(http://media.nj.com/entertainment_impact_celebrities/photo/shorejpg-4cb1e343a33b1fe8_large.jpg)

(http://razorbladedream.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/308601126l1sikx8.jpg)
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: (((O))) on June 17, 2010, 04:58:01 PM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on June 17, 2010, 02:15:13 PM
Thanks mr luck
Yeah x2 that was good stuff cheers!
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Mount Ambulance on June 17, 2010, 05:23:14 PM
Quote from: rhyme orange on June 17, 2010, 02:53:28 AM
"Do you like boobs a lot?"



(http://realitystudio.org/images/bibliographic_bunker/fuck_you/fuck_you.03.jpg)

Ya gotta like boobs alot!
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Captain CoryCory on June 17, 2010, 06:00:25 PM
Quote from: ManWithNoName on June 17, 2010, 07:45:04 AM
Great read. I can't believe HAT is the album they've had the most returns on. That's crazy!!!

I found a used copy of HAT for 5 bucks. But I won't return it.  LOVE IT.

Love the list too except maybe Honky. I've never really been able to get into that album.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Like Stee on June 17, 2010, 06:24:22 PM
Quote from: Captain CoryCory on June 17, 2010, 06:00:25 PM8)except maybe Honky. I've never really been able to get into that album.

Was just listening to it today for the first time in a long time.  Forgot what a FANTASTIC album it is.  Air Breather Deep in the Arms Of Morphius is epic stuff.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: endsjustifymeans on June 17, 2010, 09:42:51 PM
eggnog will always be my favorite melvins release, nice to see his thoughts on it.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: EGO the Living Planet on June 17, 2010, 10:13:16 PM

"Returns" are unsold albums returned to the distributor from retailers.

H.A.T. came out just before Tower Records and Warehouse Records went out of business and Best Buy and Walmart began devoting less floorspace to CDs. The returns probably have more to do with that stuff than any reaction to the record itself.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Dumpster D on June 17, 2010, 10:46:13 PM
ew, steroids guy on the far right has bigger boobs than...ew...jesus, watch out, those things are gonna lactate green sludge!

He looks like he's having a serious testosterone Frenzy!

it doesn't get better than H.A.T.

that album is the pinnacle of everything in the universe.

P.s. when I read "god thru orgasm" I somehow think of those guido's and Lars, was that the idea?

Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: MrLuck87 on June 18, 2010, 01:02:15 AM
Quote from: EGO the Living Planet on June 17, 2010, 10:13:16 PM

"Returns" are unsold albums returned to the distributor from retailers.

H.A.T. came out just before Tower Records and Warehouse Records went out of business and Best Buy and Walmart began devoting less floorspace to CDs. The returns probably have more to do with that stuff than any reaction to the record itself.

I meant to comment on this but haven't had the time.  When I bought a copy of H.A.T. from them during their 2006 tour it had a FYE sticker on it.  I had always wondered why but this actually explains it.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: jonE5 on June 18, 2010, 11:48:47 AM
Quote from: Stonergrunge on June 17, 2010, 03:23:54 PM
How can anyone buy HAT and then return it? that makes no sense...

... well, maybe THEY bought it:

(http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=150662&d=1217277034)

(http://media.nj.com/entertainment_impact_celebrities/photo/shorejpg-4cb1e343a33b1fe8_large.jpg)

(http://razorbladedream.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/308601126l1sikx8.jpg)

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now. That's!!! A..  CULT!!
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Mount Ambulance on June 18, 2010, 04:30:54 PM
Quote from: Dumpster D on June 17, 2010, 10:46:13 PMP.s. when I read "god thru orgasm" I somehow think of those guido's and Lars, was that the idea?

Nope ... The FUGS!
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Mad Arab on June 19, 2010, 09:21:21 AM
I'm glad he mentioned The Bootlicker. That album doesn't get enough love. Its one of their best I think.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Uncle Fester on June 19, 2010, 10:27:34 AM
Quote from: Stonergrunge on June 17, 2010, 03:23:54 PM
How can anyone buy HAT and then return it? that makes no sense...

... well, maybe THEY bought it:

(http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=150662&d=1217277034)

(http://media.nj.com/entertainment_impact_celebrities/photo/shorejpg-4cb1e343a33b1fe8_large.jpg)

(http://razorbladedream.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/308601126l1sikx8.jpg)

(http://dragonballzgamesonline.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Goku-Angry-Picture.jpg)
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: turnacus on June 19, 2010, 10:48:41 AM
C.O.D sucks. I can't get behind his opinion.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: (((O))) on June 19, 2010, 11:50:15 AM
Quote from: turnacus on June 19, 2010, 10:48:41 AM
C.O.D sucks. I can't get behind his opinion.
Well Buzz says he never listens to his own albums, so in his mind its probably still some work of utter genius that amazed him the once he actually heard it.  [-X
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: turnacus on June 19, 2010, 01:18:08 PM
He's a troll. That's a compliment. He's trolling people when he release COD or Prick. He's a troll when he plays nothing but feedback opening for Nine inch nails.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: TheLegitMan93 on June 19, 2010, 01:44:04 PM
Explains the hair.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: EGO the Living Planet on June 19, 2010, 10:58:46 PM

Is it really that hard to believe that anyone likes Colossus of Destiny?

It's a very different kind of record than they usually make, but it's really cool to listen to when you just wanna kick back and clear the mind.  I get that it's not everybody's cup of tea, but is it that impossible to understand that it could be for someone else? I would think that anyone who knows enough about underground music to really dig the MELVINS must at least be aware that there is other music like it out there (and fans of that kind of thing), right?
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: MrLuck87 on June 19, 2010, 11:11:59 PM
Quote from: EGO the Living Planet on June 19, 2010, 10:58:46 PM

Is it really that hard to believe that anyone likes Colossus of Destiny?


It's even somewhat comparable to The Beatles Rev 9.  But even if everyone hates that you still get an awesome version of Eyes Flies and some really cool art.  I'm sure some of the fans here have spent more on 7'' singles they don't listen to than CoD.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: turnacus on June 20, 2010, 10:41:46 AM
No, people might like it....because it has The Melvins on it.

Besides that? Nope.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: EGO the Living Planet on June 20, 2010, 12:10:33 PM

Seriously, you can't imagine that anyone likes it on it's own merits? ...and you unaware that other music like that is out there and that such music has it's own fans?
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: turnacus on June 20, 2010, 03:04:40 PM
So what are some albums similar to COD you like?
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: the baron on June 20, 2010, 04:43:04 PM
Quote from: turnacus on June 20, 2010, 03:04:40 PM
So what are some albums similar to COD you like?

Wolf Eyes - Burned Mind
Sistrenatus - Division One
Merzbow - Doors Open At 8pm
Merzbow - Pulse Demon
Hentai vs Nordvargr - Semen

Heck I would put some of The Residents more experimental stuff in the same vein as COD/Prick too, and I love The Residents.

Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: MrLuck87 on June 20, 2010, 05:13:25 PM
Quote from: the baron on June 20, 2010, 04:43:04 PM
Quote from: turnacus on June 20, 2010, 03:04:40 PM
So what are some albums similar to COD you like?

Merzbow - Pulse Demon




This was the first album that jumped to my mind.  Lustmord's albums are also very atmospheric and Buzz collaborated with him a few times.  Of course now you may think I only like Lustmord cause of The Melvins connection which isn't true.

Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: dijk cheese on June 20, 2010, 08:15:42 PM
aethenor is another, i listen to them as much as any act. dig all their albums.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Mount Ambulance on June 20, 2010, 09:43:57 PM
Quote from: EGO the Living Planet on June 20, 2010, 12:10:33 PM

Seriously, you can't imagine that anyone likes it on it's own merits? ...and you unaware that other music like that is out there and that such music has it's own fans?

No shit, I can understand someone not diggin' COD (or noise based music in general). Though, I find it hard to believe someone who digs the Melvins isn't aware of "music" like this existing and  being a genre unto itself? Hell, I listen to just as much stuff (if not more) that resembles COD than say, Houdini. The list is almost endless .... Wolf Eyes, Piss Horn, Death Agonies, The Cherry Point, Hair Police, Bastard Noise, The New Blockaders, Einst
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: turnacus on June 21, 2010, 12:38:41 AM
Touche, but.... I still think it sucks. let's just say it was my first and nearly last Melvins album.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: Mount Ambulance on June 21, 2010, 05:24:01 PM
Quote from: turnacus on June 21, 2010, 12:38:41 AM
Touche, but.... I still think it sucks. let's just say it was my first and nearly last Melvins album.

Good thing you kept diggin' past COD into more Melvins ... though as I said, even though I dig shit like that I can fully understand that others might not ... I mean it is "noise" in the broader sense ... not so much "music" ... in a pop/rock sense anyway.
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: pinkyslim on June 21, 2010, 06:16:50 PM
I usually listen to it while I vacuum.   :-s



AM I WRONG? AM I WRONG? 8)
Title: Re: Buzz Osborne Breaks Down 10 Crucial Melvins Records
Post by: (PAUL) on June 21, 2010, 08:51:24 PM
I thought Prick was the album to vacuum to.