themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Discussion => Topic started by: cara on September 16, 2010, 04:35:06 PM

Title: Outtakes From First 7"?
Post by: cara on September 16, 2010, 04:35:06 PM
So I managed to find a copy of the Melvins outtakes from their first 7" at a used record store today but I can't find any information about the value etc. online other than the info on this site! Does anyone know any more about this? As far as I know there were only 1000 pressed.
Title: Re: Outtakes From First 7"?
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on September 16, 2010, 05:00:41 PM
That one is strange.  I've heard there was an initial bootleg pressing on flimsy paper, and a second pressing on 'stiffer' paper much later.  The quality of the songs themselves aren't the greatest.  On the copy that have, what do the run out grooves say?
Title: Re: Outtakes From First 7"?
Post by: cara on September 16, 2010, 05:09:23 PM
something thats scratched out on both sides, and an "A" and "B". It's definitely the flimsy paper one, too. I'm confused if this is a really good find or if I overpayed @ $20 for it. I know nothing about this one.
Title: Re: Outtakes From First 7"?
Post by: nightwolf on September 16, 2010, 05:13:12 PM
Quote from: cara on September 16, 2010, 04:35:06 PM
I can't find any information about the value etc.

you'll have a good life
Title: Re: Outtakes From First 7"?
Post by: jules on September 16, 2010, 05:20:39 PM
Quote from: cara on September 16, 2010, 05:09:23 PM
something thats scratched out on both sides, and an "A" and "B". It's definitely the flimsy paper one, too. I'm confused if this is a really good find or if I overpayed @ $20 for it. I know nothing about this one.
You haven't overpaid - they average around $25 on ebay. What has been scratched out on the matrix is "CSJ 1008" , the catalogue number of the single. Don't know why it's been crossed out, though.
Title: Re: Outtakes From First 7"?
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on September 16, 2010, 05:43:46 PM
Quote from: jules on September 16, 2010, 05:20:39 PM
Quote from: cara on September 16, 2010, 05:09:23 PM
something thats scratched out on both sides, and an "A" and "B". It's definitely the flimsy paper one, too. I'm confused if this is a really good find or if I overpayed @ $20 for it. I know nothing about this one.
You haven't overpaid - they average around $25 on ebay. What has ben scratched out on the matrix is "CSJ 1008" , the catalogue number of the single. Don't know why it's been crossed out, though.
I'll take some pictures of ones that were crossed out..It's the weirdest thing.
Title: Re: Outtakes From First 7"?
Post by: anaconda on September 16, 2010, 09:15:15 PM
don't they scratch it out when its deleted? like punching a hole in the sleeve of discontinued vinyl??
Title: Re: Outtakes From First 7"?
Post by: jules on September 17, 2010, 02:41:22 AM
Quote from: anaconda on September 16, 2010, 09:15:15 PM
don't they scratch it out when its deleted? like punching a hole in the sleeve of discontinued vinyl??
I had a look at Wiki but couldn't find a reason why a Matrix would be scratched out and not replaced with a different Matrix, EXCEPT when a record is bootlegged. Is it possible this record was bootlegged after the original 1000 had been pressed, the bootlegged copies having the Matrices scratched out?
Title: Re: Outtakes From First 7"?
Post by: buddy holiday on September 17, 2010, 04:54:40 AM
first press has a small center hole, repress has large. don't now about the matrix....
http://www.discogs.com/Melvins-Outtakes-From-1st-7-1986/master/197426 (http://www.discogs.com/Melvins-Outtakes-From-1st-7-1986/master/197426)