Quote from: black stallion on October 14, 2011, 04:37:36 AM
usually this is the story with melvins doing covers:
melvins version > original version
Yeah so which cover do you enjoy most? For me it's a toss up between The Green Manalishi and Dies Irae. Both utterly marvellous! At a push i'd perhaps say Dies Irae tho. I think. So what's your favourite then???
Oh and no-one had better say PGX3 okay or there's gonna be trouble brewin'. :x
Quote from: )))((( on October 14, 2011, 05:33:55 AM
Quote from: black stallion on October 14, 2011, 04:37:36 AM
usually this is the story with melvins doing covers:
melvins version > original version
Yeah so which cover do you enjoy most?
Green Manalishi(F.Mac)/Promise Me (Gun Club)/Jerkin Krokus (Mott The Hopple)/Today Your Love Tomorrow The World (Ramones)/Buick MacKane (TRex)/Return Of The Spiders (A.Cooper)/ Interstellar Overdrive (Floyd)/Theme(Clown Alley)
leech
You'll Be Taken Care Of.
Runners up: Youth of America and Sweet Young Thing
The Ballad of Dwight Frye (Alice Cooper) and Youth of America (Wipers) are some of my favorites. Sacrifice (Flipper) is a killer one, and Interstellar Overdrive (Pink Floyd) too, in a different way. I've always loved Going Blind (Kiss), but it's probably not one of their greatest... Oh, and their cover of Symptom of the Universe (Black Sabbath) is amazing hehe.
Candy-O
YOA
She
Mr DNA
jerkin krokus
Melvins - Into The Void (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m0QcEv2xwU#)
love how they slow down the slow parts and speed up the fast part.
Toss up between Sacrifice and Green Manalishi
into the void (i'd love a "proper" version of this someday)
leech
halo of flies
Adolecent Wet Dream
Arnie (White Punks On Dope)
Promise Me
Halo Of Flies
Lexicon Devil
Got to be Youth of America. Was the only song I recognized at my first live Melvins show. I had only heard Gluey Porch Treatments at that point and this was around 2005 so I was a super late to the bandwagon but the moment I saw them live I was hypnotized by the power of the Melvins.
Green Manalishi/Promise Me/ Let Me Roll
I REALLY likey when MELVINS completely annahilate the original by MELVINING it up like the T-Rex Buick song. =D>
I'm Afraid GLEN has spoken for me on this one!!!
and HE's RIGHT you know!
:lol:
Whoa Black Betty, bam a-lam.
i like there version of detroit rock city
Quote from: glen on October 14, 2011, 09:13:56 AM
jerkin krokus
I'm very much inclined to agree with this. But I also love their version of Let Me Roll It.
Green Manalishi and Candy-O
...two of my favs.
I never got into KISS, but love Melvins doing Goin' Blind and The Love Theme
...OH. And God of Thunder, o'course.
the MELVINS God Of Thunder cover could have been so much more crushing. they should have slowed it down another notch even. some songs just weren't meant to be covered though. GOT is walking that fine line.
Bacon Industry
when they played this in toronto a while back it friggin' blew me away!!!
Youth of America and Sacrifice come to mind right away, but then again I like pretty much all their cover songs and have trouble thinking of one I don't like.
y.o.a., lexicon devil, i wanna hold your hand.
Sacrifice and let me roll it.
Quote from: glen on October 20, 2011, 03:17:18 PM
the MELVINS God Of Thunder cover could have been so much more crushing. they should have slowed it down another notch even. some songs just weren't meant to be covered though. GOT is walking that fine line.
Indeed, it could have been slower.....
Can't argue that.
Green Manalishi and Youth of America, but they blew me away playing Bacon Industry at Smalls in Detroit last time they were here.
White Punks On Dope.
venus in furs
Halo
Youth
Sac
Kali-uber!
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!
I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the MC5, and every time I've ever listened to "Rocket Reducer #62" I always thought, "God damn, the melvins need to cover this song."
Little did I know they already have:
09 - MELVINS - Rocket Reducer #62 (Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa) MC5 Cover - Live 2005 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrBNUfJ3NE0#ws)
The Melvins - 8 Cherub Live at the House of Blues 2005 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqFWMl-oSIM#ws)
saw this at stubb's for the 4x4 tour...pinkus pointed out they played it in the wrong key...
Quote from: nerker on December 30, 2011, 03:26:59 AM
pinkus pointed out they played it in the wrong key...
ahah,cool!
Youth of America. I like Melvins version almost as much as the original.
The Ballad of Dwight Frye
It's Shoved because they stole it from Nirvana..............
Quote from: (the) Razor on December 31, 2011, 11:22:23 PM
It's Shoved because they stole it from Nirvana..............
Buzz said Nirvana did that with Milk It,what are you referring to?
Quote from: black stallion on January 01, 2012, 05:06:54 AM
Quote from: (the) Razor on December 31, 2011, 11:22:23 PM
It's Shoved because they stole it from Nirvana..............
Buzz said Nirvana did that with Milk It,what are you referring to?
I think Razor's just joking there.
Top 5 covers:
1. Youth Of America
2. Candy-O
3. The Green Manalishi (With The Two Pronged Crown)
4. Sacrifice
5. Star Spangled Banner :P
Cheap Trick's Surrender.....soundcheck at San Jos
Youth of America (like everybody !)
Way of the World
Green Manalishi
Poison
Deserted Cities Of The Heart
Black Betty
Quote from: The Bloated Pope on March 25, 2012, 06:16:40 PM
Poison
I don't recall them doing that one. The Alice Cooper song im guessing right?
Quote from: )))((( on March 26, 2012, 05:09:11 AM
Quote from: The Bloated Pope on March 25, 2012, 06:16:40 PM
Poison
I don't recall them doing that one. The Alice Cooper song im guessing right?
Actually it's a MC5 song
Melvins - Singles 1-12 - Disk 2 - 01 - Poison (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1VV-4QR5DQ#ws)
killer tune
Quote from: Stass on March 19, 2012, 01:00:56 PM
Top 5 covers:
1. Youth Of America
2. Candy-O
3. The Green Manalishi (With The Two Pronged Crown)
4. Sacrifice
5. Star Spangled Banner :P
No wait, scratch that. This Velvet Underground cover beats everything (fast forward to 4:58). :P
Nirvana/Melvins split - 1991 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Y5-LWYZnM#)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD24SC5c-nk
Green Manalishi for me followed by Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World!!!
Lexicon Devil
I Can't Shake It
Station To Station
Way Of The World
Leeech
Top 11 in no particular order:
Sacrifice
Green Manalashi
Halo Of Flies
Return Of The Spiders
Dwight Fry
Promise Me
Mr. DNA (no official release yet)
Rocket Reducer No. 62
Poison
Ramblin Man
Youth Of America
Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on February 28, 2018, 04:00:28 PM
Top 11 in no particular order:
Sacrifice
Green Manalashi
Halo Of Flies
Return Of The Spiders
Dwight Fry
Promise Me
Mr. DNA (no official release yet)
Rocket Reducer No. 62
Poison
Ramblin Man
Youth Of America
Yes to all of these.
I was totally not even thinking about the Sausages album #-o. The Bowie, Fugs, & Roxy Music ones are the top 3 off of that.
Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on February 28, 2018, 04:00:28 PM
Mr. DNA (no official release yet)
Ever since they performed that with the Big Business guys i've wanted them to put out a studio recording. At this point though i think it's pretty doubtful. I mean, we're talking 9 years ago now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnsyfNmtQY0
Would love to see them record Bacon Industry by Karp. When I saw them do it live it blew my brains out.
Quote from: sadcorps on March 01, 2018, 12:46:44 PM
Would love to see them record Bacon Industry by Karp. When I saw them do it live it blew my brains out.
Haven't heard this, but imagine my mind would also be blown if I did.
Youth of America and Lexicon Devil both really turned me onto bands that I was only passively interested in, so those 2 are tops for me.
With Yo Heart Not Yo Hands is an all time classic. I saw them play Cherub by the Butthole Surfers years ago and it was top notch. I'm a big fan of Kiss and the Melvins version of God Of Thunder is fucking awesome, much better than the version credited to Buzz.
That looks like a top 5 for me, but as others have said melvins > originals ;)
Quote from: rictus on October 14, 2011, 09:21:45 AM
Toss up between Sacrifice and Green Manalishi
This exactly and only this exactly
Im thinking 'Graveyard' could be a contender! I love their version.
I think my recent hope for a touring partner would be Off! since Keith Morris is such a big Germs fan, then I could hear them do Lexicon Devil live with Keith on vox.
Mind you, he has trouble doing tours of any kind of length these days for health reasons.
I also love Youth of America and Let me Roll It.
Quote from: Mecha Mummy Jr. on April 07, 2018, 10:06:38 PM
I also love Youth of America and Let me Roll It.
My favorites as well!
The Green Manalishi is most likely my favorite cover of theirs, followed by The Ballad of Dwight Fry. After those two, Female Trouble, Let Me Roll It, and Dies Iraea would be the only other ones in the conversation for me. One of the few times I've seen the Melvins live in San Jose they did something they don't usually do and had a break in the middle of their set. More interestingly, they played Dies Iraea as the ending song for their first set and then came out and opened the second set with it. Pretty fucking weird choice and I dug it.
Jerkin Krokus and Let Me Roll It.
Was Butchertown a cover? If it is then thats a favorite too!
Almost forgot about Missing off the Electroretard album. Another favorite cover of theirs that was originally performed by the Cows.
Quote from: spliff(TONE) on April 28, 2018, 12:20:25 PM
Almost forgot about Missing off the Electroretard album. Another favorite cover of theirs that was originally performed by the Cows.
Totally!
All the covers on Electroretard are grade A, in fact.