themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Discussion => Topic started by: homeless_dad on February 01, 2012, 10:32:57 AM

Title: At the stake question
Post by: homeless_dad on February 01, 2012, 10:32:57 AM
At the stake has always been one of my favorites.  I prefer the album version much more than any live version I've heard (which is weird for me).  It just doesnt have nearly the "full" sound as the album version. Think its because of the increased emphasis on the drums but also that really eerie feedback-ish sound throughout the song that isn't done live.  That sound reminds me of some of the background violins on some of Scott Walkers stuff.

Anyhow, anybody know what makes that sound?  I doubt its a guitar but who knows.

Then there is another sound in the song that I can't describe at all.  But at the end of the song it has a really cool end to the sound.  Vague enough? So, Anybody know what that sound is?

Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: norecess on February 01, 2012, 11:29:15 AM
all i can tell it is mark deutrom who handles the guitar on that track, i have always been under the impression it was a guitar.

at the stake is one of my favorite melvins songs. for years i considered it as one of their heaviest, then about a year ago i listened to it and got a entirely different vibe from it, much more spacey and slow and not so much heaviness...
Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: (PAUL) on February 01, 2012, 05:05:25 PM
I'm guessing by scraping the guitar pick across the strings.
Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: homeless_dad on February 01, 2012, 06:32:50 PM
Quote from: (PAUL) on February 01, 2012, 05:05:25 PM
I'm guessing by scraping the guitar pick across the strings.

You do hear either a finger or the pick being lightly scraped against the strings at some parts, but I think this sound is different from scraping.

BTW, He perfected the pick scrape in revulsion.
Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: perzo))) on February 01, 2012, 09:26:07 PM
mark did that pick scrape on bass live.
Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: (the) Razor on February 02, 2012, 03:50:44 AM
Mark D is underrated.
Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: (((O))) on February 02, 2012, 05:34:56 AM
Quote from: (the) Razor on February 02, 2012, 03:50:44 AM
Mark D is underrated.
I agree mind you i think all us lot on here already know he's great. Its everyone else that needs to acknowledge this.
Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: (the) Razor on February 02, 2012, 05:38:33 AM
Yeah, I notice his influence on the Melvins more and more everytime I go back to those old albums, he seemed to have done vocals quite a lot too but he does have a very similar "clean" style to Buzz so it's hard to tell.   
Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: (((O))) on February 02, 2012, 05:47:18 AM
Quote from: (the) Razor on February 02, 2012, 05:38:33 AM
he does have a very similar "clean" style to Buzz so it's hard to tell.
Definitely. I find it tricky to know who's who too. Think i've given up now trying to guess.
Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: Dumpster D on February 02, 2012, 04:39:27 PM
I beleive he means the weird feedback sound through the entire track.

you know like when you take a wine glass and rub your finger around the rim and it's all like

ooOOoooOOOoooOOooo?

I'm pretty sure it was dale on that track with a couple wine glasses, it's hard to tell because there IS also guitar feedback.

If you listen to the DRUMB 7" you can hear them as well, I beleive it's a pretty good trick.

you wouldn't realize is was such an effective technique, because it's a ghetto move.

but THERE is the answer right there.
Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: homeless_dad on February 02, 2012, 05:37:37 PM
HA! Is that so?  Come to think of it, I remember watching something on TV that showed an "instrument" made of rotating ice or glass or something that makes that kind of sound described so well by dumpster.

Thanks for articulating in type the sound I just couldn't describe very well.

You nailed it D.  Thanks a lot!
:D
Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: dr.ghira on February 03, 2012, 03:55:06 AM
Y'all listen to his latest album The Value Of Decay http://markdeutrom.com/MarkDeutromWebsite/N/N.html (http://markdeutrom.com/MarkDeutromWebsite/N/N.html). This is the long lost new Melvins Album. Then you know how much he had influenced the Melvins. I'll miss him a lot as a bass player in the Melvins. The dark and smooth side of our favorite band (listen to Shevil etc.) was only managed to play with him.
Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: (the) Razor on February 03, 2012, 04:08:01 AM
I hear it now, well picked up.

The recording on this album is expert. Level 100. Wish they still had that big(ger) Atlantic budget to record with.
Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: Dumpster D on February 03, 2012, 05:15:40 AM
Quote from: (the) Razor on February 03, 2012, 04:08:01 AM
I hear it now, well picked up.

The recording on this album is expert. Level 100. Wish they still had that big(ger) Atlantic budget to record with.

you think money is what makes a good record?

Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: (the) Razor on February 03, 2012, 05:51:05 AM
Good sounding record.

But I know you, or someone else, will probably come back and dispute this with a thousand reasons and examples of previous great albums over the years that have shitty sound quality. But that's not the point.
Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: Dumpster D on February 03, 2012, 05:53:46 AM
Analog is what makes a good sounding record.

Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: (the) Razor on February 03, 2012, 05:56:13 AM
What like Bungle's California? Yes, if so. That's a fantastic sounding record.
Title: Re: At the stake question
Post by: Dumpster D on February 03, 2012, 06:09:00 AM
CALIFORNIA; The last we have seen of the BIG-TIME 24-track analog Tape console recording jobs, not to mention the last we've seen of Mr. Bungle.