themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Discussion => Topic started by: homeless_dad on June 17, 2012, 11:29:51 PM

Title: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: homeless_dad on June 17, 2012, 11:29:51 PM
Being a Melvins fan can be immediately rewarding. 

The first listen of certain songs like The water glass, At a crawl, Respite, The savage hippy, Wispy, for me were instant favorites without question.
Then there are the songs that are good but not necessarily favorites.  We all have them.
Then there are the one's that require effort.  I know some are in this stage with Tommy goes berzerk, not for me, I really like it.  But...for me I can sympathize.

Melvins confessional: I have never been much of a fan of Honky.  For years I thought it was mostly filler but I passed on most songs.  Same goes with POTRE.  It's always been a bit abstract for me to grasp.  end confession.

So...I have a 45 minute commute to work now (my old commute was 8 minutes, not much listening time) which allows me plenty of time to get to know these albums better.  I started with Honky and after a few consecutive listens it's sinking in.  Most especially Lovely Butterflies!  How did I miss the greatness of this song before?  I always thought it was a bit of a throw away.  Not no more.  I guess it just clicked with me finally.  So far, The Melvins are the only band that have that kind affect where you go from skipping or tolerating a song for years to finally "getting it", for lack of better words.  I'm really looking forward to having the time to absorb POTRE too.

So...feel free to share melvins songs where you had a similar experience...


Title: Re: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: Metalhead Cow on June 18, 2012, 12:37:45 AM
That's great man. There's some real good stuff on Honky-They All Must Be Slaughtered, Lovely Butterfly, Pitfalls In Serving Warrants, Air Breather Deep In The Arms Of Morphius, Grin, Mombius Hibachi are all great tracks... I pretty much named most of the songs. I was delighted that Melvins Lite played Pitfalls In Serving Warrants live last year-such a great track and it's totally awesome live! I think Melvins lite should play Grin too-I could really see that working.

I think Pigs is better than Honky. I really think you'll grow to like it a lot-it really is an outstanding record. It took me a while to get into Pigs though. I think I liked Honky straight away, but I really had to let Pigs sink in. I can almost guarantee that at some point sooner or later Pigs will "click" with you and it will be glorious.
Title: Re: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: Metalhead Cow on June 18, 2012, 12:41:57 AM
For me I always liked Gluey Porch Treatments, but it took a very long time before I realized just how brilliant it is. I would read reviews online on amazon.com and such, and people were saying how Gluey was one of their best. For a long time I  just didn't understand that sentiment. Like I said I always liked Gluey, but it was awhile before it really "clicked" with me. Brilliant music.
Title: Re: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: Metalhead Cow on June 18, 2012, 12:48:29 AM
Collosus Of Destiny and The Crybaby were really slow growers as well. Much slower than gluey. To this day I'm not a big fan of Prick, although I never listen to it. I should give it a listen soon.

And on another note, I think Lysol and the Maggot are a tad overrated by fans... Don't kill me
Title: Re: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: black stallion on June 18, 2012, 03:32:34 AM
Honky is one of my favourite Melvins albums
Title: Re: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: The Bloated Pope on June 18, 2012, 12:28:09 PM
Quote from: black stallion on June 18, 2012, 03:32:34 AM
Honky is one of my favourite Melvins albums
One of the best Melvins records for me too, every tracks are awesome, at the right place, at the right moment

Such an underrated and great album (like the Melvins)
Title: Re: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: black stallion on June 18, 2012, 12:37:12 PM
bassist (who played guitar too) had a huge influence on that album
Title: Re: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: MrLuck87 on June 18, 2012, 12:55:45 PM
Quote from: )))((( on June 18, 2012, 05:08:51 AMI love the first half of The Water Glass but never took to the second.

You need to respond!  It's enormously satisfying saying "Here we go!" after Buzz.  Plus it absolutely rules live for this reason.

I think I've liked pretty much all Melvins on the first listen but I didn't always quite realize how great it was.  I remember thinking Stoner Witch was just a "very good hard rock record" for the first week or so but now I think it's brilliant.  I'm sure most fans have similar stories.  That why it drives some of us crazy when people slam new material immediately.  It's like, "Hey, don't you realize that sometimes it takes awhile for The Melvins songs to make sense?  Are you sure Houdini isn't your only Melvins album?".
Title: Re: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: Satchel Paige on June 23, 2012, 06:46:36 PM
Quote from: MrLuck87 on June 18, 2012, 12:55:45 PM
Quote from: )))((( on June 18, 2012, 05:08:51 AMI love the first half of The Water Glass but never took to the second.

You need to respond!  It's enormously satisfying saying "Here we go!" after Buzz.  Plus it absolutely rules live for this reason.


Yeah, i listen to it while i do situps.


"at the stake" took me a while to get a hold of, but i love the live version to death.
Title: Re: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: Uncle Fester on June 23, 2012, 08:35:13 PM
POTRE is a very very LOVELY album.
Title: Re: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: Metalhead Cow on June 24, 2012, 03:37:16 AM
I would love another lustmord collaboration
Title: Re: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: The Bloated Pope on August 17, 2012, 07:49:52 AM
The world is not ready yet for an another Lustmord/Melvins collab
Title: Re: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: Fishheadphil on August 18, 2012, 04:05:35 PM
Honky has always been a favourite of mine as well as Pigs.
As far as what I can't really get into... Anything With Jello Biafra + The Solo Ep's.
Title: Re: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: cleveland rewind on August 18, 2012, 04:45:24 PM
pigs to me the first few listens was like ok. then one day i found it cheap style on LP. took it home and really listened to it. and was blown away. its straight up a dub record. i love it now.
Title: Re: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: Afterbirthmilkshake on August 18, 2012, 09:10:00 PM
I always use this test for Melvins songs.  First seperate the song from the album.  Then ask yourself these questions.  for an old song: If this was the new melvins song what would I think of it?  For a new song: If this was the first Melvins song I ever heard, would I want to hear more from this band?    Once thing that I found that helps me to make a good judgement is listening to the songs on shuffle.  Sometimes I hear a song intro or something and I think "oh this is great"only later to find out that it was a gem of a song that was not loved the first time around due to album sequencing. 

I really like the secong half of POTRE

The Mechanical Bride and The savage hippy are also both seriously underrated

There are also parts of the Stag album that are greater than I ever noticed the first time. 

Who am I kidding?  I got Stoner Witch for christmas when I was about 15 and didn't really like it for years.  I really think that this is a band that grows on people slowly and then one day they are full blown Melvins addicts. 

Oh well, I'm off to go give handjobs for cash so I can afford that 1983 ep when the time comes.   
Title: Re: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: #2 Pencil on August 18, 2012, 10:30:22 PM
I love POTRE. Its not my favourite, but is like thier version of Throbbing Gristles Heathen Earth. When I listen to Heathen Earth, Colossus of Destiny and POTRE get played after.
I like records that grow on you. These are usually not for everyone, and can be difficult to explain why they're good
Title: Re: Why did it take so long to realize that this is a great song?
Post by: Captain CoryCory on August 20, 2012, 03:11:45 PM
Honky, 26 songs, potre, bootlicker and stag didn't hook me from the get-go either

Now id label potre and bootlicker as two of my favourites.

Freak puke's the same way though two songs bore the shit out of me and kind of kills the momentum. Finally got hooked on the title track and holy barbarians after enough listens.