My bad if this has been covered before (I couldn't find it in the search function):
So, the Sawed Off 7-inch has two covers by "The Ronsons." I always figured that there never was a band called "The Ronsons," Buzz, Dale, and Pat wrote the songs, and the credit was just a gag referenced to Mick Ronson.
But discogs seems to think that there actually was a band called "The Ronsons." I tried to google them and just came back up with Sawed Off.
Was there ever a band called "The Ronsons?" Did they record the Sawed Off songs? Or, is the "ronsons" reference just a cheeky joke?
We've talked about it a bunch over the years but never came up with an answer.
Some inside joke.
This discussion was one page back. Search function blows, but come on! \:D/
http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=3490.msg41254#msg41254 (http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=3490.msg41254#msg41254)
I forget exactly how this happened. I think I sent him a facebook friend request and he responded with a conversation - at like 2:30 in the morning when I have to be to work at 7am. That's why I ended it so promptly. As you can tell I'm not a very good interviewer, but here it is straight from the horse's mouth on the Ronson's.
Pat Fear(Bill Bartell)/ Dale Nixon(me)
June 15, 2013
Bill Bartell: The Ronsons or go home
Dale Nixon: yes please...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEGfcZtViOI&feature=share
https://youtu.be/KHh_PvRyRqA
Bill Bartell: "Melvins"
Dale Nixon: are the Ronsons real? could never find any info.
Bill Bartel:l as real as Dale Nixon
Dale Nixon: lol
Bill Bartell: recording this and the a side with Buzz's bass almost killed me, after recording Goin' Blind bass AND lead guitar on Buzz's heavy gauge 5 string Les Paul, I wanted to kill all of them...except Dale, who played lead guitar and drums, what a guy
Dale Nixon: How did the songs from Sawed Off come about? Were they recorded with the idea of a release or just messing around during the sessions and got something good out of it? Goin' Blind has to be one of the greatest covers ever. Nice work all around!
Bill Bartell: we did them and Goin' Blind during Houdini sessionswhen I was bass player 9 1/2
Bill Bartell: thanks, Buzz called me and said "Lori is indisposed so we're flying you to SF tomorrow to play lead guitar and bass on Goin' Blind..this was about 9 pm
Dale Nixon: Haha, a little advanced notice would've been nice.
Bill Bartell: I guess he assumed I knew that song on bass and Ace, neither of which was the case
Dale Nixon: you know what happens when you assume...you get a kick ass bass track and smokin' lead, that's what!
Bill Bartell: on a five string guitar with no high E nd fifty million gauge strings
Bill Bartell: and a bass with one inch off the fretboard action
Dale Nixon: Haha, I hope they at least bought lunch.
Dale Nixon: Any good Kurdt stories from the sessions?
Bill Bartell: none I will ever tell
Dale Nixon: I can respect that
Dale Nixon: It was cool to chat with you a bit. Hope to do it again. -Jason
Bill Bartell: never
Bill Bartell: you get one shot at fame and this was it
Bill Bartell: I failed u
Dale Nixon: :,(
Dale Nixon: I'll remember it, always.
Dale Nixon: Thanks Mr. Bartell
June 15, 2013 at 3:22am · Like
Quote from: DAYSTAR on June 27, 2015, 12:37:24 PM
I forget exactly how this happened. I think I sent him a facebook friend request and he responded with a conversation - at like 2:30 in the morning when I have to be to work at 7am. That's why I ended it so promptly. As you can tell I'm not a very good interviewer, but here it is straight from the horse's mouth on the Ronson's.
Pat Fear(Bill Bartell)/ Dale Nixon(me)
June 15, 2013
Bill Bartell: The Ronsons or go home
Dale Nixon: yes please...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEGfcZtViOI&feature=share
https://youtu.be/KHh_PvRyRqA
Bill Bartell: "Melvins"
Dale Nixon: are the Ronsons real? could never find any info.
Bill Bartel:l as real as Dale Nixon
Dale Nixon: lol
Bill Bartell: recording this and the a side with Buzz's bass almost killed me, after recording Goin' Blind bass AND lead guitar on Buzz's heavy gauge 5 string Les Paul, I wanted to kill all of them...except Dale, who played lead guitar and drums, what a guy
Dale Nixon: How did the songs from Sawed Off come about? Were they recorded with the idea of a release or just messing around during the sessions and got something good out of it? Goin' Blind has to be one of the greatest covers ever. Nice work all around!
Bill Bartell: we did them and Goin' Blind during Houdini sessionswhen I was bass player 9 1/2
Bill Bartell: thanks, Buzz called me and said "Lori is indisposed so we're flying you to SF tomorrow to play lead guitar and bass on Goin' Blind..this was about 9 pm
Dale Nixon: Haha, a little advanced notice would've been nice.
Bill Bartell: I guess he assumed I knew that song on bass and Ace, neither of which was the case
Dale Nixon: you know what happens when you assume...you get a kick ass bass track and smokin' lead, that's what!
Bill Bartell: on a five string guitar with no high E nd fifty million gauge strings
Bill Bartell: and a bass with one inch off the fretboard action
Dale Nixon: Haha, I hope they at least bought lunch.
Dale Nixon: Any good Kurdt stories from the sessions?
Bill Bartell: none I will ever tell
Dale Nixon: I can respect that
Dale Nixon: It was cool to chat with you a bit. Hope to do it again. -Jason
Bill Bartell: never
Bill Bartell: you get one shot at fame and this was it
Bill Bartell: I failed u
Dale Nixon: :,(
Dale Nixon: I'll remember it, always.
Dale Nixon: Thanks Mr. Bartell
June 15, 2013 at 3:22am · Like
This is great, thanks!
Sure. I thought it was kind of a cool little thing.
"on bass and Ace, neither of which was the case"
This info need to be in the Wiki.
=D> =D>
Quote from: DAYSTAR on June 27, 2015, 12:37:24 PM
I forget exactly how this happened. I think I sent him a facebook friend request and he responded with a conversation - at like 2:30 in the morning when I have to be to work at 7am. That's why I ended it so promptly. As you can tell I'm not a very good interviewer, but here it is straight from the horse's mouth on the Ronson's.
e[/i]
Well done SIR!