Am I the only one who isn't super impressed by the visual side of the Melvins lately?
Narrowing it down to studio album covers, the last cover I really liked was Electroretard, and I've never been a huge fan of Mackie's style but the last cover she designed that wasn't "meh" to me were the individual covers for the trilogy.
CoD, HAT, Senile Animal, Nude With Boots, Bride, Sausage, Tres Cabrones, and Hold It In are all really boring album covers in my opinion, and I wouldn't buy any of them if I didn't know who the Melvins were.
I like a lot of the singles and the idea of repeating the same artwork but with slight variations, and some of the other artwork and even art on the inside of the albums are cool, but when it comes down to it I really don't like Melvins album covers lately. Obviously a huge part of liking a band and collecting their output is enjoying the artwork, but it has come to a point where I don't collect much Melvins stuff because the (most, certainly not all) of Mackie's artwork isn't interesting to me. One band I collect a lot of stuff from is Alien Sex Fiend because I really like the art and enjoy looking at it while I listen. But I don't feel like sitting around looking at a picture of some heads in some spoons.
I understand that the Melvins have never had album covers that directly reflect the music. Like you'd never guess Bullhead (one of my absolute favourite album covers) would be as sludgey as it is, but I'm bored by recent artwork and was just wondering if any other fans feel the same way. It just feels formulaic at this point; I've had enough typography and animals :lol:
ANTM
[attachment deleted by admin]
What does America's Next Top Model have to do with what I said?? :-s
Their albums for the most part do have a minimalist aspect to the covers, I never really thought about that before now.
Yep, you're the only one.
C.O.D. & H.A.T. are two of their best albums for artwork. Hold It In seemed like not much thought put into it, but everything else is great.
I think Honkey is my favorite cover. I agree that the Hold It In cover isn't that great but I like everything else. I also really like Mackies stuff too and love the minimalism in her art.
As far as inserts, like the inside covers, H.A.T., POTRE, C.O.D. The vinyl version of the Trilogy and Electroretard for the win cover and insert.
I take back CoD but I still feel the same way about pretty much everything else :?
What was the first Mackie designed album cover? Who did the art for the previous melvins albums?
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on October 19, 2015, 07:31:21 PM
What was the first Mackie designed album cover? Who did the art for the previous melvins albums?
Stoner Witch was the first Mackie cover as far as I know
eh im with you. the artwork isnt too important to me since im usually at work or in the car when i have time to listen, but ive never cared for the whole "graphic designer" style of mackies.
i do really like stoner witch a lot though. that cover is flawless. and most of the others are fine... just not my style.
i think they like the idea of not being able to predict what your getting based on the cover, and in that they succeed.
hold it in... well i think its a fitting cover.. i havent warmed up to that album much.
Hold It In made me love and hate Waffle House all over again.
I think of the recent albums with Mackie art my favorites have got to be Everybody Loves Sausages (Really whimsical, kind of like the album), Freak Puke (Really cool style) and Colossus of Destiny (For the laffs.) HAT, POTRE and Mangled Demos are pretty solid too.
Quote from: ))))(((( on October 20, 2015, 04:09:18 PM
As a student of Fine Art i am perfectly placed to assess the visual qualities and sensibilities of the Melvins cover art, ha! No but in all seriousness i think many of their album covers are pretty great for what they are. As regards Mackie's involvement there is a definite, distinctive aesthetic there. One which i don't always feel complements what it represents perfectly, yet no less still sits well within the grandeur scheme of things. I will mention that it always boggles my mind that so many love the cover to Electroretard. I actually think that is one of the worst.
My top 6...
Ozma
Lysol
Never Breathe What You Cant See
(A) Senile Animal
Nude With Boots
Freak Puke
My disliked 6...
Eggnog
Your Choice Live
Bullhead
Houdini
Stag
Electroretard
I guess we're not the same, contrary to what I said in the What Are You Doing thread.
Your most disliked are some of my favourites :lol:
I really love Mackie's art and design. (A) Senile Animal is my favorite, and I had them sign the 4xLP gatefold when I met everyone a few years back. Also love Sugar Daddy CDs and 12"s. I was a little disappointed by Hold It In and Machine, but I generally don't like covers w/band photos.
I've also been disappointed w/the changeover to ecopacks, but understand people aren't buying CDs and they need to make money. Stills bums me out though.
Quote from: danimal on October 20, 2015, 05:04:01 PM
I really love Mackie's art and design. (A) Senile Animal is my favorite, and I had them sign the 4xLP gatefold when I met everyone a few years back. Also love Sugar Daddy CDs and 12"s. I was a little disappointed by Hold It In and Machine, but I generally don't like covers w/band photos.
I've also been disappointed w/the changeover to ecopacks, but understand people aren't buying CDs and they need to make money. Stills bums me out though.
I like eco packs. They're usually impossible to break (especially the centre piece that holds the CD in) and you don't have to fumble for 10 minutes just to take out/put back the booklet :D
One of the best Mackie did was California. Great album art.
I really like all her Melvin's work though really, POTRE is pretty good.
Most favorite;
Stag
Stoner Witch
Freak Puke
Damn good;
Trilogy
HAT
COD
(a) Senile Animal
POTRE
Least favorite;
Nude With Boots
Hold It In
Bride Screamed Murder
*according to album covers (Mackie only)
Quote from: Sludgebaby on October 20, 2015, 05:17:41 PM
Quote from: danimal on October 20, 2015, 05:04:01 PM
I really love Mackie's art and design. (A) Senile Animal is my favorite, and I had them sign the 4xLP gatefold when I met everyone a few years back. Also love Sugar Daddy CDs and 12"s. I was a little disappointed by Hold It In and Machine, but I generally don't like covers w/band photos.
I've also been disappointed w/the changeover to ecopacks, but understand people aren't buying CDs and they need to make money. Stills bums me out though.
I like eco packs. They're usually impossible to break (especially the centre piece that holds the CD in) and you don't have to fumble for 10 minutes just to take out/put back the booklet :D
Are you sure you don't mean digipaks? Those have the plastic centers. Eco packs are just cardboard and can easily damage the CD w/all the sliding.
I love all 3. I love CDs and i love it when people actually get them back to me without scratches and shit. :?
Quote from: danimal on October 21, 2015, 10:40:13 PM
Quote from: Sludgebaby on October 20, 2015, 05:17:41 PM
Quote from: danimal on October 20, 2015, 05:04:01 PM
I really love Mackie's art and design. (A) Senile Animal is my favorite, and I had them sign the 4xLP gatefold when I met everyone a few years back. Also love Sugar Daddy CDs and 12"s. I was a little disappointed by Hold It In and Machine, but I generally don't like covers w/band photos.
I've also been disappointed w/the changeover to ecopacks, but understand people aren't buying CDs and they need to make money. Stills bums me out though.
I like eco packs. They're usually impossible to break (especially the centre piece that holds the CD in) and you don't have to fumble for 10 minutes just to take out/put back the booklet :D
Are you sure you don't mean digipaks? Those have the plastic centers. Eco packs are just cardboard and can easily damage the CD w/all the sliding.
oops yeah I meant digipacks but I don't mind eco packs either. Fuck CDs though
I think where they kind lost a little bit of coolness is when mackie started using the real photos more. It seemed like hat and before was more art/drawings and from nude with boots on is more photos. I agree it's not as enthralling as some of the previous stuff but it's just one of many phases. I didn't like senile animal's art at first but it grew on me. I think everyone can agree that we can look past a few not so wonderful album covers as long as they continue to write the amazing music we all love. I like haze xxl's stuff too but it also can be a little repetitious sometimes. All in all the Melvins have been around for 30 plus years without a hiatus. It's ok if they try a few different art ideas.
Guys Mackie just sent me the album cover for the new Melvins album:
(https://40.media.tumblr.com/49f3790f69b566323cf28b1e77f04016/tumblr_nx2gj3hAEe1r6hh61o1_540.jpg)
not enough crayons! :o
Quote from: Sludgebaby on October 30, 2015, 11:02:36 PM
Guys Mackie just sent me the album cover for the new Melvins album:
(https://40.media.tumblr.com/49f3790f69b566323cf28b1e77f04016/tumblr_nx2gj3hAEe1r6hh61o1_540.jpg)
Really? She sent me this:
(http://i.imgur.com/pDQ83DZ.png)