https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/soundgarden-kim-thayil-favorite-grunge-albums-812785/
Melvins, Gluey Porch Treatments (1987)
I could pick almost anything by Melvins, but I'm going to say Gluey Porch Treatments since it was their debut album. They made a lot of albums that were more inventive creatively and better produced sonically, but I'm picking this one because I like to think of them in that period.
They were the slowest band in the scene, but they started of being the fastest. At times Buzz had this Gene Simmons thing to his vocals, but the music was incredibly arty and somewhat experimental even if they were never self-conscious about it. They may not have been aware they were being so arty at the time, but all the rest of the bands certainly took notice. Just the fact that they slowed down was a big deal. The fact that they have arrangements that would often not repeat was cool too; it would just be a linear sequence: A, B, C, D, N.
Cool read! Thanks for sharing! I for one like what Skin Yard was doing on their first album. I sought out the vinyl so i could hear the lp only track "Burning The Candle." I see now that that song is up on YouTube. The CD has 15 tracks totalling 60 minutes. I'd listen to it while i'd take a walk.
Bundle Of Hiss is a great band also!
Woah bundle of hiss...Checking it out...hm! Never heard of it.
Somehow the first minute or so... it sounds vaguely like a super produced clean and glossy Flipper if that even makes sense?
what a lame list....
Quote from: give up on April 03, 2019, 11:57:31 AM
I'm a person with no uplifting presence, or positive contribution to the board
Lemme just go ahead annnd.....there....Fixed that for ya...there ya go..thats better.
Buzz's list:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/melvins-buzz-osborne-grunge-albums-812782/
Quote from: Dumpster D on April 03, 2019, 12:08:25 PM
Quote from: give up on April 03, 2019, 11:57:31 AM
I'm a person with no uplifting presence, or positive contribution to the board
Lemme just go ahead annnd.....there....Fixed that for ya...there ya go..thats better.
yea! Pearl Jam and Alice and Chains.
Pfffttt.....
Quote from: give up on April 03, 2019, 11:57:31 AM
what a lame list....
Quote from: Dumpster D on April 03, 2019, 12:08:25 PM
Quote from: give up on April 03, 2019, 11:57:31 AM
I'm a person with no uplifting presence, or positive contribution to the board
Lemme just go ahead annnd.....there....Fixed that for ya...there ya go..thats better.
Nah, it really is a pretty lame list ... but grunge was/is a pretty lame genre so what do you expect? You should expect lame shit.
Buzz's list is a bit less lame but kinda lame all the same because grunge was/is lame ... what do you expect? I'll agree with Bad Motorfinger and some of the Mudhoney shit as being "good grunge"; but the majority of his picks that aren't lame kinda fall outta the parameters of dyed in the flannel "grunge" (Tales Of Terror, Flipper, U-Men) kinda pre-grunge influences really ... and if you gonna go that route I'd sub out some of those other lame choices for some WIPERS and maybe some DEAD MOON.
As per grunge being any good? I think this quote sums it up ...
"I might as well be listening to fucking Jon Bovi"
Both articles are a bit on the circlejerky side but both have at least one record I'd be curious to give a shot.
Quote from: Captain CoryCory on April 03, 2019, 04:16:28 PM
Both articles are a bit on the circlejerky side but both have at least one record I'd be curious to give a shot.
Which is a majority of Rolling Stone articles. Lot's of circle jerks over shit that came out years ago but maybe worth checking out an album or two.
ALL TAD, some MUDHONEY, a couple Soundgarden and Nirvana/melvins.
that's all ya need 8)
I'm suprised there was no Green River on Buzz's list since they do cover "Leech". Not on an album but still
Quote from: Tobias on April 03, 2019, 08:58:10 PM
I'm suprised there was no Green River on Buzz's list since they do cover "Leech". Not on an album but still
Green River is kinda meh, though :lol:
Quote from: Captain CoryCory on April 04, 2019, 05:47:18 AM
Quote from: Tobias on April 03, 2019, 08:58:10 PM
I'm suprised there was no Green River on Buzz's list since they do cover "Leech". Not on an album but still
Green River is kinda meh, though :lol:
I never really thought of Leech as a cover because didn't Green River actually 'give' them the song? Maybe I'm thinking of something else....
Quote from: GiveMe45 on April 04, 2019, 10:37:40 AM
Quote from: Captain CoryCory on April 04, 2019, 05:47:18 AM
Quote from: Tobias on April 03, 2019, 08:58:10 PM
I'm suprised there was no Green River on Buzz's list since they do cover "Leech". Not on an album but still
Green River is kinda meh, though :lol:
I never really thought of Leech as a cover because didn't Green River actually 'give' them the song? Maybe I'm thinking of something else....
Buzz asked them why they never played it live anymore; they told him they didn't like the song because they thought it was too slow/repetitive and that he could 'have' it and start playing it himself for all they cared. So he did.
Quote from: DToxico on April 04, 2019, 03:08:58 PM
Quote from: GiveMe45 on April 04, 2019, 10:37:40 AM
Quote from: Captain CoryCory on April 04, 2019, 05:47:18 AM
Quote from: Tobias on April 03, 2019, 08:58:10 PM
I'm suprised there was no Green River on Buzz's list since they do cover "Leech". Not on an album but still
Green River is kinda meh, though :lol:
I never really thought of Leech as a cover because didn't Green River actually 'give' them the song? Maybe I'm thinking of something else....
Buzz asked them why they never played it live anymore; they told him they didn't like the song because they thought it was too slow/repetitive and that he could 'have' it and start playing it himself for all they cared. So he did.
Here Mark mentions it
https://youtu.be/Ws3rOyyem6A
Mark Arm
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/mudhoney-mark-arm-grunge-albums-812789/
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 04, 2019, 10:02:48 PM
Mark Arm
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/mudhoney-mark-arm-grunge-albums-812789/
Bobby Soxx, Randy Holden, & Hawkwind on the same list, nice!
Quote from: give up on April 03, 2019, 05:49:46 PM
ALL AMREP, some Sub-Pop, a couple Boner and C/Z
that's all ya need 8)
Fixed. =;
Quote from: Dumpster D on April 03, 2019, 12:08:25 PM
Quote from: give up on April 03, 2019, 11:57:31 AM
I'm a person with no uplifting presence, or positive contribution to the board
Lemme just go ahead annnd.....there....Fixed that for ya...there ya go..thats better.
Holy shit. Did Pinky just start an interesting discussion?
Quote from: dead mike on April 07, 2019, 10:09:56 AM
Quote from: Dumpster D on April 03, 2019, 12:08:25 PM
Quote from: give up on April 03, 2019, 11:57:31 AM
I'm a person with no uplifting presence, or positive contribution to the board
Lemme just go ahead annnd.....there....Fixed that for ya...there ya go..thats better.
Holy shit. Did Pinky just start an interesting discussion?
I started actually, by replying...Generally speaking it's best I don't respond to either one of you.
But there ya go...two for two.
Didn't get a response back, I'm guessing the muted response is complete and utter shock someone actually replied finally to one of their posts?
What next right? Courtney love confessing to conspiracy?
What? Wha'd I do?
Quote from: dead mike on April 07, 2019, 05:06:41 PM
What? Wha'd I do?
dont sweat that dumpy dude. He's a tweaker.
Quote from: give up on April 08, 2019, 10:26:33 AM
Quote from: dead mike on April 07, 2019, 05:06:41 PM
What? Wha'd I do?
dont sweat that dumpy dude. He's a tweaker.
For once you're actually right. :lol:
LEMON MERINGUEEE PIEEEEEE ON THE WINDOW SILLLLLL!!!
TAKE ME FOR A RIDE IN THE CAR CAR TAKE ME FOR A RIDE IN THE CAR CAR!!!!
A BUMP IN THE NIGHT!!!!!! A BUMP IN THE NIGHT!!!
This is me in real life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJqmGyUQ-0o
this is really sad to watch...
Almost like a scene from GUMMO. inbreeding.
Quote from: give up on April 08, 2019, 07:02:49 PM
this is really sad to watch...
Almost like a scene from GUMMO. inbreeding.
This is nothing compared to the Trailer folks next door...down the road.
They make meth...they breed Dogs like a puppy mill...they have more tractors, and cars and vans and dead trailers and parts and sleds and Burn garbage and tires..Grow dope make liquor...Gotta hand it to them they are pretty productive people in a lord of the flies type way.
The Redneck is a real thing, it does exist unlike a saskatchewan.
There was a death two weeks ago down the road, the police were at the home for three days, suspicious circumstances...He was my age and left behind a newborn and a daughter and family. Suicidal overdose or something he was related to a friend of mine...they're ALL related around here if you know what I mean??
A town of 4,000 people has a methadone clinic, it used to be on the mainstreet but they moved it behind the TD bank....out of sight but still hidden in plain view...It was bad for business...this is wine country now.
Anyway....YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWW!!!!!!
The thing about lookin' good is smellin' good!