themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Discussion => Topic started by: jules on July 27, 2021, 11:54:59 AM

Title: Melvins CDs
Post by: jules on July 27, 2021, 11:54:59 AM
Loving the vinyl and sleeve variations Melvins has put out. Lockdown got me curious about CDs (although a motoring analogy comparing vinyl albums with CDs would like comparing a Formula 1 racing car to some sort of utility vehicle) -

(https://i.ibb.co/vqpCZKM/WP-20210727-17-30-31-Pro.jpg)



(https://i.ibb.co/tBjH4Zy/WP-20210727-17-52-18-Pro.jpg)
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: ))))(((( on July 27, 2021, 08:32:06 PM
My copy of 'The Maggot' is green and i didn't know there were variants. I knew there were others with 'The Crybaby' though. The first one of that i had, the CD was orange. At first i didn't like that album so stupidly i exchanged it and then a year or so later repurchased it and my current one is grey i think. The same happened to me with 'Sieg Howdy!' too. My first copy was a block colour of orange with the figure on and then my follow up one is shiny with a slight hint of orange with the same figure featured. I'd like to know which ones are the original ones and which possibly later reissues.
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: Stonergrunge on July 28, 2021, 10:54:13 AM
Quote from: jules on July 27, 2021, 11:54:59 AM
(https://i.ibb.co/tBjH4Zy/WP-20210727-17-52-18-Pro.jpg)

Damn! I really want to have the Singles 1-12  :(

My version of The Maggot is also the green one.
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: von grip on July 29, 2021, 12:32:57 PM
first off, Been after singles 1-12 for a while now too...
like chieftenbeers had no idea there were  variants of the maggot cd (mine is the green one like the majority) OR the crybaby for that matter
I remember back in the early 2000s when I  used to go to Borders books and music and remember they had Melvins albums on cd which I thought was cool at the time and bought a few albums sporadically but thinking back wished I had bought more- there weren't too many retailers even then that you could find brand new copies of Melvins cds especially am rep stuff; really for me just wish I had same completist, collector mentality back then bc I would've swooped those cd's without even thinking about it but then I spent too
much time pondering and not enough time just buying  :P
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: the bloat on July 29, 2021, 06:46:28 PM
So is the problem that no one can find a Singles 1-12 CD anymore? Not on Amazon or anything? Guess I'm glad I kept my copy!
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: amazonAMAZON on July 29, 2021, 10:09:32 PM
14 For Sale from $18.00

https://www.discogs.com/Melvins-Singles-1-12/release/436077

You don't have to look too hard.
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: jules on July 30, 2021, 07:31:03 AM
Singles 1-12 was the hardest one for me to find back in the day. Never seen a brand new one. Finally found one in a second hand record shop, really expensive, not very good condition. Decided to give it a miss and waited ages (couple of years) until I found the next second hand one at which point I could afford to get it.

I think the Honky CD was pretty much the same. I just got one off a guy in Germany who can't have even opened it or touched it since he bought it new. Absolutely pristine. Those cardboard sleeves are easy to wear out, too. 

L to R: Australia; Australia; Germany; Original US; Canada

(https://i.ibb.co/zQBx2mR/WP-20210730-13-39-18-Pro.jpg)
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: vince furnier on July 30, 2021, 09:17:55 AM
Houdini in a black jewel case just seems wrong!
(https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnknownAdorableBuzzard-size_restricted.gif)
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: black stallion on July 31, 2021, 02:10:12 AM
very cool thread, i should post mine but i'm too lazy
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: jules on July 31, 2021, 03:27:02 AM
Quote from: black stallion on July 31, 2021, 02:10:12 AM
very cool thread, i should post mine but i'm too lazy
Levantate!
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: black stallion on July 31, 2021, 04:39:02 AM
here you go with my huge mess ah!

ps: Ian, don't get too nervous if you should notice too many packages  8-[

ps2: better watching them on your cell which is easier to rotate than your pc  :lol:

(https://i.ibb.co/S6J5zGh/dav.jpg)

(https://i.ibb.co/JmmRfZt/dav.jpg)

(https://i.ibb.co/gJW0qNG/dav.jpg)

(https://i.ibb.co/GMgBHPx/dav.jpg)
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: amazonAMAZON on July 31, 2021, 05:13:31 AM
These are beautiful collections of a beautiful discography.

I don't go big into vinyl, just a few things I'm interested to keep for posterity and eventually to display. BUT vinyl photographs the best (of all music collectibles.)

Dare I ask to see your CD singles and promos and any other relevant comps and features?

(I don't have variants and stuff. I'm lucky to have original Prick, I guess.)
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: black stallion on July 31, 2021, 05:34:22 AM
i'm more into cd's, especially for Melvins.  each new album they released i bought the cd, with a few exceptions.  i own some of their albums (bullhead, lysol, gpt, two with biafra, stoner witch, stag, ozma, solo albums etc) on vinyl too. speaking of singles, promos or features/comps i might disappoint you but i don't have any relevant stuff.. i'm not a collector/completist, i tend to buy the regular albums mostly, not limited edition stuff etc.. i have a few things which i can post but i'd never beat jules :)
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: ))))(((( on July 31, 2021, 07:15:26 AM
Just imagine how much space someone would need if they had a copy of EVERYTHING Melvins had ever put out!!! Great collection Stallion. I don't know why but i was surprised you have Chicken Switch and the Night Goat single. What is the CD in the last photo which is orange with the "M" on. I don't recognise that. I see it's an Amrep release.


Quote from: black stallion on July 31, 2021, 04:39:02 AM
ps: Ian, don't get too nervous if you should notice too many packages
DESTROY THEM!!!! KILL!!!!! KILL!!!! All that precious paper going unrecycled like that. Such a crime.
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: black stallion on July 31, 2021, 07:19:54 AM
Quote from: ))))(((( on July 31, 2021, 07:15:26 AM

What is the CD in the last photo which is orange with the "M" on. I don't recognise that. I see it's an Amrep release.


Prick! which is the first Melvins album i ever bought and heard. i'm so proud of this story
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: ))))(((( on July 31, 2021, 07:27:51 AM
Quote from: black stallion on July 31, 2021, 07:19:54 AM
Prick! which is the first Melvins album i ever bought and heard. i'm so proud of this story
Ah yes, i should have known that. I always remember that Prick was your first Melvins purchase. I bet not many people can say that!
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: vince furnier on July 31, 2021, 07:38:42 AM
Quote from: ))))(((( on July 31, 2021, 07:27:51 AM
Quote from: black stallion on July 31, 2021, 07:19:54 AM
Prick! which is the first Melvins album i ever bought and heard. i'm so proud of this story
Ah yes, i should have known that. I always remember that Prick was your first Melvins purchase. I bet not many people can say that!
same thing happened to me!  :lol:
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: ))))(((( on July 31, 2021, 07:47:50 AM
Quote from: vince furnier on July 31, 2021, 07:38:42 AM
Quote from: ))))(((( on July 31, 2021, 07:27:51 AM
Quote from: black stallion on July 31, 2021, 07:19:54 AM
Prick! which is the first Melvins album i ever bought and heard. i'm so proud of this story
Ah yes, i should have known that. I always remember that Prick was your first Melvins purchase. I bet not many people can say that!
same thing happened to me!
Wow! Perhaps that is the one true path to Melvins fandom. All us other fans are just sub-fans!! Why Prick though???? Was it by accident or just because it was the latest release and you tried that one?
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: black stallion on July 31, 2021, 08:21:42 AM
Quote from: vince furnier on July 31, 2021, 07:38:42 AM
Quote from: ))))(((( on July 31, 2021, 07:27:51 AM
Quote from: black stallion on July 31, 2021, 07:19:54 AM
Prick! which is the first Melvins album i ever bought and heard. i'm so proud of this story
Ah yes, i should have known that. I always remember that Prick was your first Melvins purchase. I bet not many people can say that!
same thing happened to me!  :lol:

awesome!!

Quote from: ))))(((( on July 31, 2021, 07:47:50 AM
Quote from: vince furnier on July 31, 2021, 07:38:42 AM
Quote from: ))))(((( on July 31, 2021, 07:27:51 AM
Quote from: black stallion on July 31, 2021, 07:19:54 AM
Prick! which is the first Melvins album i ever bought and heard. i'm so proud of this story
Ah yes, i should have known that. I always remember that Prick was your first Melvins purchase. I bet not many people can say that!
same thing happened to me!
Wow! Perhaps that is the one true path to Melvins fandom. All us other fans are just sub-fans!! Why Prick though???? Was it by accident or just because it was the latest release and you tried that one?

was by accident, it was probably their latest release too. remember being in a big shopping store with my parents.. was 1994. Cobain probably was just gone. i was a Nirvana fan at the time, reading about Melvins being Kurt's favourite band. so when i noticed in the music store that album i  immediately picked it. after listening i was confused to say the least, then i got Stoner Witch  and the rest is history  :)
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: vince furnier on July 31, 2021, 10:24:49 AM
Quote from: ))))(((( on July 31, 2021, 07:47:50 AM
Quote from: vince furnier on July 31, 2021, 07:38:42 AM
Quote from: ))))(((( on July 31, 2021, 07:27:51 AM
Quote from: black stallion on July 31, 2021, 07:19:54 AM
Prick! which is the first Melvins album i ever bought and heard. i'm so proud of this story
Ah yes, i should have known that. I always remember that Prick was your first Melvins purchase. I bet not many people can say that!
same thing happened to me!
Wow! Perhaps that is the one true path to Melvins fandom. All us other fans are just sub-fans!! Why Prick though???? Was it by accident or just because it was the latest release and you tried that one?
i've told this story here before. i was going to see L7 and was having good luck with opening bands so i got the one Melvins cd i found at the record store that one visit and it just happened to be Prick. if it would have been Stoner Witch or Houdini, that show would have been totally different for me. still i was convinced the were the real thing from the set even if the cd left me feeling like they were a joke band.  :lol: btw, i sold the cd and bought it again after Stag came out.
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: jules on July 31, 2021, 01:02:00 PM
(https://i.ibb.co/2y5Bn3q/WP-20210731-18-38-14-Pro.jpg)

(https://i.ibb.co/HdY64HK/WP-20210731-18-51-49-Pro.jpg)
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: the bloat on July 31, 2021, 11:17:19 PM
This post inspired me to dust off my old Melvins CDs. Had to rifle through an old bin in my garage since I don't even have a way to play CDs anymore. The first thing I noticed is that I was very studious about buying every release up until Nude with Boots. I even have the short-run stuff like Electroretard and a sealed copy of Alive at the Fucker Club. So I guess I stopped keeping up in 2006. I've since switched over to digital and now blow all my cash on iTunes and limited edition vinyl.
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: black stallion on August 01, 2021, 04:34:35 AM
Quote from: jules on July 31, 2021, 01:02:00 PM
(https://i.ibb.co/2y5Bn3q/WP-20210731-18-38-14-Pro.jpg)

(https://i.ibb.co/HdY64HK/WP-20210731-18-51-49-Pro.jpg)

weird
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: jules on August 01, 2021, 04:35:13 AM
Quote from: black stallion on July 31, 2021, 04:39:02 AM
here you go with my huge mess ah!
8)

Thanks for not being lazy!


More weird:

(https://i.ibb.co/XyBzL8D/WP-20210801-10-50-27-Pro.jpg)
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: black stallion on August 01, 2021, 06:23:22 AM
totally weird and awesome. a question maybe a little stupid, you obviously own all those variants, right?  :)

could these two be considered "rare" ?

(https://i.ibb.co/ySQDgz1/dav.jpg)
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: jules on August 01, 2021, 06:42:55 AM
Quote from: black stallion on August 01, 2021, 06:23:22 AM
could these two be considered "rare" ?

I guess they're rare outside of the U.S. - Scion gave them away but only in the States. That Electric Flower promo was issued on vinyl, too.
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: black stallion on August 01, 2021, 06:48:46 AM
Quote from: jules on August 01, 2021, 06:42:55 AM
Quote from: black stallion on August 01, 2021, 06:23:22 AM
could these two be considered "rare" ?

I guess they're rare outside of the U.S. - Scion gave them away but only in the States. That Electric Flower promo was issued on vinyl, too.

yeah, i suspected they could be rare outside the US. Bulls&Bees i mean. Europe got the version with Electroretard if i remember correctly
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: jules on August 02, 2021, 10:47:36 AM
(https://i.ibb.co/GTzVLGk/WP-20210802-16-44-16-Pro.jpg)

The lavender one just arrived. Is it a European re-release? Fucked if I know.
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on August 02, 2021, 01:32:51 PM
Ha, very nice. An eastern Europe pressing?
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: jules on August 02, 2021, 02:42:08 PM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on August 02, 2021, 01:32:51 PM
Ha, very nice. An eastern Europe pressing?
The new artwork is exactly the same as the IPC-153 re-release except it says Manufactured and distributed by Southern Records (i.e. Europe) and has the old catalogue number IPC-6. Also it states C & P 1999, not 2000 as per the originals or 2006 as per IPC-153.

Looking closely, we see other differences, too. True-to-form Ipecac has now spelled Leif Garrett wrong (one t in Garrett), Godzik Pink is now Godzickpink, Erik Sanko is now Eric Sanko, Amanda Ferguson is now Amanda Fergusson, Ryeland Allison is now Ryland Allison, Henry Bogdan is now Henry Bogden and Tim Green is now Time Green.
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: black stallion on August 02, 2021, 03:45:02 PM
 :o
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: jules on August 22, 2021, 02:39:05 AM
Brazilian Mesomorph, Japanese Terror Firmer, metal Throbbing Gristle tribute:

                                             (https://i.ibb.co/BBFdYNn/Tg.jpg)



            (https://i.ibb.co/k5gtLFw/Tf.jpg)



                                      (https://i.ibb.co/QmrdWPn/Br.jpg)
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: von grip on August 22, 2021, 12:13:47 PM
 :o Dam Jules 'Terror Firmer' soundtrack on cd, f dope (Japanese ver to boot)
Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: jules on June 24, 2022, 03:30:51 PM
This guy's Maggot reissue is MADE IN MEXICO. Never seen that before.

(https://i.ibb.co/SVc1gvW/Screenshot-2022-06-24-21-27-09.png)

Title: Re: Melvins CDs
Post by: amazonAMAZON on June 24, 2022, 08:57:50 PM
I picked up a new shit kid EP letterpress at the merch table. I was somewhat hoping there'd be the unapproved art inside. But instead the original EP cover was trimmed with a paper cutter and stick in the pocket. Still, I like it. Ed of 24 I think.