themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Discussion => Topic started by: ))))(((( on May 15, 2025, 04:45:46 PM

Title: Why the hell do they not play HAT songs???
Post by: ))))(((( on May 15, 2025, 04:45:46 PM
Honestly at this point it kinda annoys me that they constantly ignore the Kevin era live. I know when Jared and Coady first joined they performed Black Stooges a little but since then there's not been a single HAT song played live AT ALL! Outside of The Bloated Pope and AMAZON, virtually nothing from Kevin's stint in the band either. I find it really perplexing. Instead they focus on classic old period the Bullhead, Lysol and Houdini time then jump forward to the BB and Steven eras. That whole 97-06 period seems totally forgotten about. To me that's quite possibly the very best era of the band so to ignore it boggles my mind!
Title: Re: Why the hell do they not play HAT songs???
Post by: Chief Ten Beers on May 15, 2025, 05:30:13 PM
Let It All Be has been played on a few tours w/ Steve. That's about it. I know, Buzz has always mentioned HAT as an album that's important in the catalog. Yeah, so how's about playing some of those songs live?
Title: Re: Why the hell do they not play HAT songs???
Post by: glen on May 15, 2025, 05:33:13 PM
I also noticed this.    very little from the kev era.  I think AMAZON was on the setlist though recently, no?

I remember when they opened wuth Anti-Vermin Seed.    wrap your head around that as an opener.  I believe it was 2002.
Title: Re: Why the hell do they not play HAT songs???
Post by: black stallion on May 17, 2025, 04:14:18 AM
good question! I'm sure it's not only because Kevin is missing. probably songs a bit too tricky for actual melvins live standards?
Title: Re: Why the hell do they not play HAT songs???
Post by: Chief Ten Beers on May 17, 2025, 04:32:25 PM
Any lineup since Kevin left could whip out their own version of Brain Center..., and it would fucking kill.
Title: Re: Why the hell do they not play HAT songs???
Post by: ))))(((( on May 17, 2025, 05:18:06 PM
Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on May 17, 2025, 04:32:25 PMAny lineup since Kevin left could whip out their own version of Brain Center..., and it would fucking kill.
Yeah i always think that too. It may not be the same but Buzz likes to say they aren't married to any of the older material. I just wanna hear Vermin Seed, Brain Center and The Fool, The Meddling Idiot again.
Title: Re: Why the hell do they not play HAT songs???
Post by: amazonAMAZON on May 17, 2025, 09:49:08 PM
I think Steven's style is more suited to "Fool" than to "AMAZON" and "Let It All Be". I think that song would actually work pretty well with McDonald doing that kind of busy bullshit he sometimes likes to do in the slow songs.
Title: Re: Why the hell do they not play HAT songs???
Post by: glen on May 19, 2025, 12:38:26 PM
if it's got slide bass on it we likely won't ever be hearing it live again.

remember when Kev did the trombone part on Bar-X-The-Rocking-M with slide bass?    8)
Title: Re: Why the hell do they not play HAT songs???
Post by: ))))(((( on May 19, 2025, 12:40:51 PM
Quote from: glen on May 19, 2025, 12:38:26 PMremember when Kev did the trombone part on Bar-X-The-Rocking-M with slide bass?
I didn't know that!! I know Dale used to sing that part sometimes.
Title: Re: Why the hell do they not play HAT songs???
Post by: amazonAMAZON on May 19, 2025, 06:13:11 PM
Anyone know a guitar slide company? Maybe we can ask them to make STEVEN branded Melvins bass slides. (I know they're just slide, but hey whatever.)
Title: Re: Why the hell do they not play HAT songs???
Post by: ))))(((( on May 20, 2025, 09:01:06 AM
Although i see why they say it, i never quite understand when fans say the HAT songs cannot or will not be played live again because of the slide bass! I'm sure someone as competent as Steven could write his own bass lines to those songs or make what he does work within the context of the songs. They can still do versions of that material. I mean if Steven was in the band during that time he would have done the bass in some form.
Title: Re: Why the hell do they not play HAT songs???
Post by: black stallion on May 20, 2025, 11:45:48 AM
i remember they used to play a song from HAT, can't remember which was, during the BB era.
Title: Re: Why the hell do they not play HAT songs???
Post by: ))))(((( on May 20, 2025, 02:20:34 PM
Quote from: black stallion on May 20, 2025, 11:45:48 AMi remember they used to play a song from HAT, can't remember which was, during the BB era.
Black Stooges it was.
Title: Re: Why the hell do they not play HAT songs???
Post by: black stallion on May 20, 2025, 02:36:50 PM
Quote from: /////// on May 20, 2025, 02:20:34 PM
Quote from: black stallion on May 20, 2025, 11:45:48 AMi remember they used to play a song from HAT, can't remember which was, during the BB era.
Black Stooges it was.

yes, it was that one!
Title: Re: Why the hell do they not play HAT songs???
Post by: HAT36447 on June 01, 2025, 09:31:21 PM
About 2 weeks ago I asked buzz why they haven't played hat BASICALLY since 2004 (ignoring the one song played in 2010) he said "yeah we have too many songs who knows" he said hat is one of his favorites. It's my FAVORITE.

Yknow honestly as dumb as it sounds I think he just has a lot of love for Kevin and doesn't wanna play them without him. That whole album and tour cycle from 2002-2003 carried a distinct theme meaning it might not fit their style today. I told him Hat is the best record of all time, I forget what buzz said.
Title: Re: Why the hell do they not play HAT songs???
Post by: Bigval on June 01, 2025, 11:07:25 PM
Quote from: eth2150 on June 01, 2025, 09:31:21 PMI told him Hat is the best record of all time, I forget what buzz said.

I heard Buzz say in an interview that fans come up and tell him HAT is their best album and he said back, if it's so good why have I got so many copies of it sitting in boxes in my garage? Pretty ordinary take but that's Buzz.