themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Discussion => Topic started by: blipntime on August 03, 2005, 12:27:12 PM

Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: blipntime on August 03, 2005, 12:27:12 PM
I cannot believe that Buzz Osbourne said that Joe treated it like a homework assignment and put no effort into it. Buzz's solo EP had only two songs on it! One noise loop, and a fourth song that was done entirely by Dave Grohl (the song appeared on his Pocketwatch demos in completely unaltered form.) Who phoned it in? Joe, who put together a 23 minute opus that obviously would have taken more than an afternoon, plus a really catchy little ditty that was way better than anything Earth ever put out.  One only has to listen to the Thrones' output to decide who is the more artistically adventurous. I like the Melvins and everything, but the way they rag on Joe when he is obviously a very respected musician and has probably influenced the most recent wave of stoner rock more than the Melvins have. They say they haven't even listened to any of his records. They should shut the hell up then.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: anaconda on August 03, 2005, 12:44:26 PM
Dont forget that Buzz and Dale are now going to collaborate with
some of Joe's ex band mates from The Whip, namely Big Business.
Joe must have known something after all. Huh Buzz?? Huh??
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Kurva on August 03, 2005, 12:52:55 PM
Quote from: anacondaDont forget that Buzz and Dale are now going to collaborate with
some of Joe's ex band mates from The Whip, namely Big Business.
Joe must have known something after all. Huh Buzz?? Huh??

huhhuhuhuhuhuhuhhahahahahahhaha
I hope he reads this :P
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Vcavallo on August 03, 2005, 01:08:18 PM
i get the feeling that this poster has some secret intentions.  something about this post is just fishy.  like it is joe or buzz or something.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: ___-----_____------_____ on August 03, 2005, 01:10:07 PM
Quote from: Vcavallolike it is joe or buzz or something.

I was never too impressed with buzz's ep although I was w/ Joe's.  I still have not heard dales, I need to acquire it.

could heros be watching?
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Michael on August 03, 2005, 01:17:15 PM
I feel the impulse to intervene.  

Buzz's solo album is wonderful in my highly esteemed opinion.  The two "songs" that you are referring to are fantastic works, particularly "Annum", a song that sounds nothing like any other in the Melvins canon.  "Porg" is an experiment that I think he pulled off (I never skip it when listening to the record) and although it's weird that a solo album ends with a song that Buzz doesn't even play on, it seems a bit fitting doesn't it?  Plus, "Skeeter" is one of the best things Dave Grohl has ever done.  If only the Foo Fighters sounded like that.

Joe's record is frankly, a mess.  It is a tedious album and the one record out of all the numerous works with MELVINS written on it that I listen to the least.  Yes, I listen to Prick more often than the Joe Preston EP.  If I am not mistaken, when they reviewed their albums at the time of Stoner Witch's release, Dale stated something to the effect that Joe really did wait until the last minute to throw his together.  He gave it a "big, fat zero".  

Speaking of Mr. Crover, his solo album is the best.  It is the most cohesive and strong of the EP's.

So why quibble?
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Dog Tired on August 03, 2005, 01:39:21 PM
No way..... Joe Preston EP the best of the 3, one of the best melvins albums actually, but it's more a thrones album if anything.

It has the 2 weird tracks ala Sperm Whale / White Rabbit EP

and the drone track ala Alarune.

Maybe the Melvins are a bit jealous.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: klump on August 03, 2005, 03:04:50 PM
[-X  ](*,)  :-&
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Reverend Ebeneezer on August 03, 2005, 03:06:29 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Buzz's solo EP is dire. Sure, Annum's pretty neat, but the rest of it's blatant filler. In fact, if I remember correctly, Skeeter's a Scream cast-off. Buzz seems somewhat full of it, when discussing the solo records, claiming that he wished that they'd all worked harder on them and then lambasting Joe for being 'lazy'.

Having said that, The Eagle Has Landed on Joe's EP's a waste of three minutes but Bricklebrit and Hands First Flower are awesome songs! In fact, I wrote an article on drone which I sent to a UK metal magazine in which I claimed that Hands First was one of the first examples of the drone-doom genre. Indeed, while I like Dale's to listen to for 3 minute pop songs, Joe's seems the most artistically important.

Now, the reason I think Buzz and Dale spit so much bile in Joe's direction is in part due to whatever reason it was they fired him and partly because, as Buzzo's been quoted as saying, they're sick of people claiming that the Joe Preston era was the best of the Melvins' history. For some reason, Joe's got the same aura as Mike Patton which creates some kind of obsession in his fans and so when Buzz hears that their bassist with the shortest tenure, and little writing input to the band was their most integral member it's likely to rile him.

I doubt this post has anything much to do with the Melvins, past or present, but it's funny that Buzz is linked to Joe again through Big Business.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Joe Deutrom on August 03, 2005, 04:06:22 PM
This is the order:

Dale Crover: Crafted, well written tracks.
Joe Preston: Experimental madness.
King Buzzo: Mediocre at best. But it is Buzz so what are you gonna do?

Joe should spend more time working on new Thrones material but I get the feeling he gets lonely.  :D

Buzz and Dale definitely have a chip on their shoulder concerning Joe.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: klump on August 03, 2005, 04:57:00 PM
who cares?

hehehehehe....
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Vcavallo on August 03, 2005, 05:16:21 PM
buzz's has a good sound.

it's amazing how much debate arises over this issue.
REV, i think you are probably right-on about why buzz and dale don't like joe, but i'm not surprised, you are usually quite perceptive and concentrated (or so it seems).  
joe's album, in my opinion, IS experimental, which is something buzz's might not be, but i've been trying lately to decide when experimental is good, and when it is just that: an experiment.  just because he did something different doesn't mean it works.  i don't think there is anything particularly genius about it.  he tried something, it's different, it's boring.  plus 10 points for originality, minus 15 for execution.  
personally, i like buzz's album.  i find it repetitive in a good way, the riffs have a nice groove.  

my final thought (for now):  they all kinda suck.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Vcavallo on August 03, 2005, 05:17:44 PM
Quote from: Reverend Ebeneezer...Buzz seems somewhat full of it...

no news here, eh?  he is a pretty NOTmodest guy.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: GrimReaper on August 03, 2005, 05:37:25 PM
Quote from: Reverend EbeneezerI've said it before and I'll say it again, Buzz's solo EP is dire. Sure, Annum's pretty neat, but the rest of it's blatant filler. In fact, if I remember correctly, Skeeter's a Scream cast-off. Buzz seems somewhat full of it, when discussing the solo records, claiming that he wished that they'd all worked harder on them and then lambasting Joe for being 'lazy'.

Having said that, The Eagle Has Landed on Joe's EP's a waste of three minutes but Bricklebrit and Hands First Flower are awesome songs! In fact, I wrote an article on drone which I sent to a UK metal magazine in which I claimed that Hands First was one of the first examples of the drone-doom genre. Indeed, while I like Dale's to listen to for 3 minute pop songs, Joe's seems the most artistically important.

Now, the reason I think Buzz and Dale spit so much bile in Joe's direction is in part due to whatever reason it was they fired him and partly because, as Buzzo's been quoted as saying, they're sick of people claiming that the Joe Preston era was the best of the Melvins' history. For some reason, Joe's got the same aura as Mike Patton which creates some kind of obsession in his fans and so when Buzz hears that their bassist with the shortest tenure, and little writing input to the band was their most integral member it's likely to rile him.

I doubt this post has anything much to do with the Melvins, past or present, but it's funny that Buzz is linked to Joe again through Big Business.

This is great Rev. You Sir are very articulate. Did your drone article get printed?
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: blacksanta on August 03, 2005, 06:00:01 PM
I put Buzzo on for Isabella and Annum (one of his best).
I put Preston on for Bricklebrit, if I put it on at all.
The Crover EP is one of the best Melvins releases. It is moody, dark psychedelic drone and I'll be goddamned if Respite isn't one of the heaviest tunes in the Melvins catalog at the proper volume.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Reverend Ebeneezer on August 03, 2005, 06:07:56 PM
Quote from: Vcavallojoe's album, in my opinion, IS experimental, which is something buzz's might not be, but i've been trying lately to decide when experimental is good, and when it is just that: an experiment.  just because he did something different doesn't mean it works.  i don't think there is anything particularly genius about it.  he tried something, it's different, it's boring.  plus 10 points for originality, minus 15 for execution.  
.

Oh, yeah, experimentation doesn't automatically equal 'good'. I mean, personally, I see very little merit or artistic vision in things like Merzbow (I've heard Venerealogy or whatever it's called) but Joe's drone track predates Earth 2 by about a year, and like it or not, it's a release that's influenced a lot of people. I mean, I dig it but I can understand why some wouldn't. Like Collossus in that respect, I guess...

And Grimmy, I've not heard back from the mag but I'll let you know if I hear that it's going to be published. Thanks for the compliment, too, bud.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: DubEMC on August 03, 2005, 07:13:30 PM
Anyone else get the feeling that POTRE was the Melvins trying to do a Thrones album?
Title: Yeah...
Post by: popeye on August 03, 2005, 07:41:38 PM
...that first post prob'ly was Buzzo - and that's as close as he'll ever come to apologizing for Anything....
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: lord of heaviness on August 03, 2005, 07:53:52 PM
Quote from: anacondaDont forget that Buzz and Dale are now going to collaborate with
some of Joe's ex band mates from The Whip, namely Big Business.
Joe must have known something after all. Huh Buzz?? Huh??

i do find this very interesting, indeed.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: cellphone on August 03, 2005, 08:15:14 PM
I think I listened to joe's once and wasn't really impressed.  buzz's is okay for a few listens, but dale's is definitely the best.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Joe Deutrom on August 03, 2005, 08:53:58 PM
Quote from: Vcavalloi get the feeling that this poster has some secret intentions.  something about this post is just fishy.  like it is joe or buzz or something.

Hey Scooby!
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: turnacus on August 03, 2005, 09:22:02 PM
isabella > better than anything joe preston, dale, or even jonas salk could conjure up.

BUt thats mostly to daves credito.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: blipntime on August 03, 2005, 11:37:02 PM
Quote from: Reverend Ebeneezer
Now, the reason I think Buzz and Dale spit so much bile in Joe's direction is in part due to whatever reason it was they fired him and partly because, as Buzzo's been quoted as saying, they're sick of people claiming that the Joe Preston era was the best of the Melvins' history. For some reason, Joe's got the same aura as Mike Patton which creates some kind of obsession in his fans and so when Buzz hears that their bassist with the shortest tenure, and little writing input to the band was their most integral member it's likely to rile him.

OBVIOUSLY from examining his career, despite naysayers, he has more integrity than just about anyone. Until Southern Lord came out with a Thrones shirt, he only sold them at his own shows. And from posts, I've gleaned Joe was not even aware of the Southern Lord t-shirt. I got a Thrones show booked here, then his van broke down and he cancelled, then he made it here the next year but I missed it, so it kind of sucks I've never seen them...but he has defined the genre. Is it a coincidence that Hung Bunny/Roman Bird Dog has Thrones written all over it, and it could quite possibly be considered the Melvins' finest moment?

I am a big Thrones fan ever since I heard Alraune in 97. I also picked up the Senex single around this point in time. I had White Rabbit on vinyl and a couple of other singles...but if I could hear the Punk In My Vitamins cassettes I'd flip. Of course he's not releasing them on CD despite the obvious monetary gain. Probably not much but up until the High On Fire gig, I believe he was working in a warehouse, so it probably wouldn't hurt.

The fact that Joe does it all by himself, at home, for himself, and lets us hear the amazing results is every artists' dream. Now the Melvins do have the luxury of releasing a lot of material. But what are they doing? Regurgitating shitty demos from 20 years ago instead of writing anything new. At least release a remastered Ozma and Bullhead since the former has some of the shittiest production this side of early COC records, and the latter, despite being the most kick ass Melvins record, is also one of the quietest albums I have ever heard.

Anyway---it just seems like the Melvins revel in assholes of rock status whereas Joe is just a regular guy. It sort of epitomizes the whole Stoner Rock thing---and its not just dumb wizards or songs about weed. It captures the Pink Floyd lurking behind the Black Sabbath vibe of stoner rock---but its just a completely new entity musically.

Anyway I'm rambling, but the Thrones are the most important thing musically since I graduated high school and that was 10 years ago.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: blipntime on August 03, 2005, 11:41:10 PM
Oh yeah---since no one has mentioned it, at some point in San Fran Joe invited someone back to the Melvins practice pad to show it off, because I guess Joe was young and his dream had always been to play with the Melvins. So I guess once this guy found out where the place was he came back later, broke in and stole some of their stuff, and thats why they booted Joe. Kinda shitty. But man wasnt the shit insured?

Anyway, I saw some other folks from OKC on here---hit me up we'll get together and do something , especially if yer musicians.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Grungeisdead on August 03, 2005, 11:47:18 PM
JOE solo lp yet another rip off of a nirvana thing, the eagle has landed was a running joke by nirvana and bootleggers.

And then you've got lysol, a bleach product. Nirvana had a album out called bleach ya before melvins.

Wait what am I talking about? .
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: THE DON on August 03, 2005, 11:53:49 PM
Quote from: GrungeisdeadJOE solo lp yet another rip off of a nirvana thing, the eagle has landed was a running joke by nirvana and bootleggers.

And then you've got lysol, a bleach product. Nirvana had a album out called bleach ya before melvins.

Wait what am I talking about? .

huh?
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Joe Deutrom on August 04, 2005, 12:05:04 AM
Roman Bird Dog is one Melvins song I can say without a doubt is one of my favorites. Thrones is a product of genius and originality. Welcome to the board blipntime. Your post is the first one I have read that had a specific reason why Joe was kicked out. It seems strange that they kicked Joe out for this, if this is the truth. It wasn't Joe's fault. It would be an angry situation definitely though, since the Melvins aren't made of money and professional gear isn't cheap.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: cellphone on August 04, 2005, 12:17:38 AM
Quote from: blipntime
The fact that Joe does it all by himself, at home, for himself, and lets us hear the amazing results is every artists' dream. Now the Melvins do have the luxury of releasing a lot of material. But what are they doing? Regurgitating shitty demos from 20 years ago instead of writing anything new. At least release a remastered Ozma and Bullhead since the former has some of the shittiest production this side of early COC records, and the latter, despite being the most kick ass Melvins record, is also one of the quietest albums I have ever heard.

I think the biggest misconception a person can have about any band is that they owe them something.  This isn't defending a release schedule that isn't ideal for the fanbase.  Far from it.  I'd rather have two genuine Melvins album a month and a weekly visit from Dale's wife ( :roll: ). What I mean is that everyone seems to have this thing in their head that because they pay attention to some band and buy their albums, they are owed a product tailored to their individual preference.

The truth is, you're wrong.  Look at this: -------> $$$$$$$
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Vcavallo on August 04, 2005, 12:21:14 AM
blip, your post really made me think about the whole situation in a different light.  even the melvins.  thanks for such a perfect translation of very poignant thoughts.  
and yea, i second that other post there, thanks for producing a solid reason of why joe was kicked out.  

now, as i said before.  this poster is either joe or buzz.  i've made my decision, and it is obviously joe.

sorry that was a stupid joke.  really, welcome.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: anaconda on August 04, 2005, 12:37:13 AM
whoever it is theyre randomizing their IP, vin youre privvy to this, click  on the IP button and have a look as well :P
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: cellphone on August 04, 2005, 12:40:36 AM
Quote from: anacondawhoever it is theyre randomizing their IP, vin youre privvy to this, click  on the IP button and have a look as well :P

is there a subnet staying the same?

ex:
192.168.1.89
192.168.2.23
192.168.1.145
etc
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Vcavallo on August 04, 2005, 12:41:41 AM
Quote from: cellphoneI think the biggest misconception a person can have about any band is that they owe them something.

right on.  "bands" as we call them are just people living their lives and creating what they think is GOOD.  what one person feels is the type of music that they need to produce for their own artistic purposes is of no concern to anyone else.  we as humans should be thankful that other humans share what they create and that we sometimes like it.  if we share their taste 20 times in a row, like some do with melvins records, then hotdamn! that's good luck!  if you don't like what they do next, then that's too bad, but the point is it's still one person's personal decision that we happen to know about.  

sheeeeeeiit
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: DubEMC on August 04, 2005, 12:58:32 AM
It's probably not a good idea to have a high opinion of what bands think of fans conceptions of their work....at the same time it's not a good idea to have high expectations of them as heroes or role models.
I've been fortunate enough to meet a few of my favorite musicians and most of them have always been really down to earth. The thing is to not get into someone's space to a point where they want to dislike you.
An old friend of mine was a true disciple of Jello Biafra-he booked him a spoken word show and gave him lodging-turns out Jello was having a bad day and was a complete prick the whole time.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: lord of heaviness on August 04, 2005, 01:22:24 AM
damn blip, you're like a joe encyclopedia.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Reverend Ebeneezer on August 04, 2005, 06:07:07 AM
Quote from: cellphone

I think the biggest misconception a person can have about any band is that they owe them something.  What I mean is that everyone seems to have this thing in their head that because they pay attention to some band and buy their albums, they are owed a product tailored to their individual preference.

The truth is, you're wrong.  Look at this: -------> $$$$$$$

Aye, hence the Jello albums presumably...

*slaps own wrist*

Also thanks for finally shedding some more light on why Joe got canned, Blip...
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: luciano darkage on August 04, 2005, 07:42:19 AM
hows this for a reason

its so obvious, so subliminal

joe likes rabbits, on 26 songs cover theres a picture of a poercelin rabbit(mackie).

joe bent mackie over and she loved it

buzz hates joe, dales got buzzs back


it happens everyday
Title: Re: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Andy on August 04, 2005, 10:12:58 AM
Quote from: blipntimeThey say they haven't even listened to any of his records. They should shut the hell up then.

Buzz said in an interview that someone posted on here that he thought Thrones (and Sunn) were good!

He also said that he thought Joe wasn't doing very well at the 'being in a band' thing at the time. At the time.

He isn't calling him a bad musician or anything. I'm sure he's allowed to call the EP crap if he wants to. As for the 'homework assignment' thing he's going to have a better idea of how it was conceived than you are I would imagine. Saying he treated it like a homework assignment has fuck all to do with what it sounds like/how much he liked it.

QuoteIs it a coincidence that Hung Bunny/Roman Bird Dog has Thrones written all over it, and it could quite possibly be considered the Melvins' finest moment?

You could argue that 'Eye Flys' has Thrones written all over it and that came out long before Joe was anywhere near the picture.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Joe Deutrom on August 04, 2005, 11:05:14 AM
Quote from: anacondawhoever it is theyre randomizing their IP, vin youre privvy to this, click  on the IP button and have a look as well :P


Jinkies
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Grungeisdead on August 04, 2005, 11:54:28 AM
people arn't going to like people, its the way shit works. If buzz is sick of Joe and didn't think his stuff was melvins material, then he's right, cause buzz has been there the longest, and if its buzz and dale agianst who ever else is the band, ya know what, thasts 2/3 vote.

Buzz might not appreciate the EP, to be honest when i heard the two songs on there (leaving out the eagle...) I was like is there more to it (before i knew only 3 songs were on it) I felt like it had left a lot out.

Maybe Buzz had higher expectations from Joe and was let down when he did something Buzz felt as let down.

Well whatever. You got to hate someone, let buzz hate whoever.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Hank Hill on August 04, 2005, 12:42:03 PM
The KB, JP, and DC EPs are mediocre compared to other Melvins efforts.  case closed.   I own them because I have to own everything Melvins.  The "Trilogy" is the real deal.  Three superb full lengths.  I am proud to own a sealed vinyl set.   :twisted:
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: turnacus on August 04, 2005, 01:31:30 PM
Like Joe over The Melvins if you will, and think Buzz is sometimes a dick in interviews, but I don't think I've ever seen the melvins posture themselves as asshole rock stars. Buzz has always had a good sense of humor about the industry that he works in, and they treat their fans real well.

How many American and Euroepean tours have they done since 99, and how many records have they releassed, including new material and older stuff (which you aren't forced to buy, so don't complain).  Let's also not forget the music we've gotten through Altamont and Fantomas (and hell, even Men of Porn and Venemous Concept if you will).


The Melvins owe their fans nothing, but in true contrarian Melvins fashion, they don't act like it.

Whoever said the solo albums suck compared the rest of the catologue is quite right. Not that bad, but mostly an excuse to play the kiss joke out. Perhaps that's why Joe didn't take it too serious.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: TosT on August 04, 2005, 01:31:42 PM
Quote from: Hank HillThe KB, JP, and DC EPs are mediocre compared to other Melvins efforts.  case closed.   I own them because I have to own everything Melvins.  The "Trilogy" is the real deal.  Three superb full lengths.  I am proud to own a sealed vinyl set.   :twisted:

awww... sealed?!
i had to take mine out and rub them all over... couldn't help it.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Joe Deutrom on August 04, 2005, 02:36:46 PM
Quote from: turnacusThe Melvins owe their fans nothing.

If that's the case then "we as fans" don't owe them anything either. In fact quit buying their albums altogether and just download them from Soulseek. I change my mind about the Melvins, they suck! And I am leaving this board too.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Joe Deutrom on August 04, 2005, 02:53:53 PM
RIP Lorax Bricklebrit and your articulate yellow text. Long live Joe Deutrom!
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: klump on August 04, 2005, 03:23:36 PM
I think Buzz has moved on.
I dont think he uses energy on hating people, cause I dont think he cares enough, hehe.
Title: Re: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Reverend Ebeneezer on August 05, 2005, 07:50:25 AM
Quote from: Andy
You could argue that 'Eye Flys' has Thrones written all over it and that came out long before Joe was anywhere near the picture.

I thought ManMtn used the Eye Flys intro as something of a joke...
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: blipntime on August 05, 2005, 10:45:15 AM
I dont think the Melvins owe us anything. But that whole "envision, execute" rhetoric he keeps giving the fans (the last few releases have featured a lot of self indulgent liner notes so yes it is aimed at the fans and it seems more like defensive posturing because he knows the majority of the listeners will think "Why the hell did I just shell out money for this crap?)  when he is merely referring to releasing whatever he wants and he knows it will sell.
Colossus Of Destiny was terrible. The Fantomas/Melvins Big Band thing was dreadful. And how many shitty sounding versions of At A Crawl can one person need? The song was not THAT good. The whole Melvins legacy seems to have gone to Buzz's head. How about write several good songs, record them, and release THAT? The last several releases and tours have relied upon additional instrumentation and guest artists, and they still are playing primarily shit from 10 or 15 years ago. Buzz has made a big deal that he can churn out stuff like Stoner Witch easy but he chooses not to. Hey whatever. As long as its a song, fine. I have purchased about 50 Melvins CDs---Had to buy their catalogue twice because my house burned down. My point is, he prides himself on the fact that hes releasing self indulgent tripe. Prick was okay---it was sandwiched between Stoner Witch and Houdini. And that was the beauty of the Melvins for so long, and it can all be summed up in one song....Magic Pig Detective. That encompasses the whole Melvins aesthetic, or at least it did at the time. Mind blowing noise that makes you wonder what the fuck and then kick ass rock and roll that was weird AND heavy. HAT was alright. It would have been a better EP. But Electroretard, COD, Melvins/Fantomas, POTRE, and two Jello Biafra releases, and there are maybe two decent original songs on all the releases combined. One good cover. And a bunch of shit that was rehashed. Something like Honky which was half Melvins dicking around and half Melvins trying was acceptable to a degree. I mean if the Melvins insist on irritating people pointlessly not only in concert but on record at least give us half an album. But record after record of shit that I could do on my 4 track if I were that bored is pretty discouraging.
Its almost like "TAKING DRUGS TO MAKE MUSIC TO TAKE DRUGS TO," but they dont take drugs anymore so its really lame and boring.

Its like Buzz is progressively releasing a box set, but skipping the career retrospective aspect of it. That unreleased "here's this one time back in 93 that I loaded up on pineapple juice and squeezed a few off into a Shure SM 57 and caught it all on DAT
and you have the honor of listening to my genius" is pretty pointless unless there is some real music along with it as contrast.

The Melvins in 1983 were not THAT interesting that we need several versions of the same songs we've been hearing for 20 years. I would however be very interested in hearing alternate versions of songs from Ozma onward. GLUEY PORCH TREATMENTS IS NOT AS GREAT AS EVERYONE HAS TOLD BUZZ IT IS. Its the shit that came after Ozma that was truly worthwhile and really brilliant. Why? Because in addition to being heavy Melvins glory, there are a lot of dynamics at play. Ozma and Gluey were 35 or so songs that all blur together. Then they put out Bullhead and people thought they sold out because they decided to put some songcraft into it? Nonsense.

As a hardcore Melvins fan, I feel obligated to purchase their new stuff because I might be surprised. But I feel like I'm buying a Britney Spears album blindfolded. I might like one song on the album, ya know, if I'm fucking lucky.

I have been into the Melvins for a while, not as long as some, but around the time of Stoner Witch. And there used to be a lot of anticipation and excitement and there were a lot of good releases in a short period of time. Now that they have Mike Patton letting them do whatever they want they are just resting on their laurels. Maybe they could use some fucking editorial input. They are "raging against the machine," but there is no machine now, so its pointless noise. As opposed to purposeful noise, done much more effectively by a lot of the stoner type bands out there.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: anaconda on August 05, 2005, 10:48:43 AM
i like that Spacemen 3 reference up there.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Vcavallo on August 05, 2005, 11:05:17 AM
i think pigs of the roman empire is a great example of collaboration and experimentation paying off.  i find the writing on that album to be really interesting, and lustmord's input makes it perfect, in my opinion.  
i'm looking forward to the next project with lustmord.  

blip, why didn't you like POTRE?
Title: Dood..!!
Post by: popeye on August 05, 2005, 11:16:41 AM
...I love Collossus of Destiny.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: blipntime on August 05, 2005, 12:05:56 PM
i seem to remember liking pigs of the roman empire, but i have a really short attention span. it sounds good. it really does. it just isnt very interesting. ive not been able to sit and listen to the whole thing. just bits and pieces at various times. tell ya what lets do---i'll put it on my ipod and listen to it today in its entirety from start to finish. then ill give an updated opinion. im sure its one of their stronger collaborations. only one or two songs jumped out at me from it. and they werent very memorable. HAT and all prior releases I havent had a problem with...but maybe it is me.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Joe Deutrom on August 05, 2005, 12:30:42 PM
The Melvins "owe" us a "Melvins" album or before long their fans are going to get tired of all this meaningless novelty stuff like Nike Air Crovers, Buzz Force One's, art book this and joke book that. When are we going to see the Melvins on David Letterman?
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Vcavallo on August 05, 2005, 02:17:21 PM
hahahh air crover...

blip, i agree with you there, it is tough to listen to the whole thing at once..  i'm looking forward to your updated opinion.  it's always interesting to listen to music with the intention of forming an opinion on it.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: cellphone on August 05, 2005, 06:02:52 PM
I almost started to read that book of a post blipntime wrote, until I saw how long it would take.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: GrimReaper on August 05, 2005, 07:23:34 PM
Blips iconoclastic ranting is well worth the time to read.

I like how the Melvins are re-packaging their old stuff. I have been satisfied with all this stuff since the Bootlicker, the Melvins last "Melvins" release since HAT:

Crybaby is a collaboration

COD live album

ElectroRetard remixes and covers

26 Songs a reissue

Millinium MonterWorks - Live

GPT a reissue

Mangled Demos unreleased songs from 1983

Venomus Concept

Fantomas release DC

Fantomas the new one

Altamont Our Darling

Neither Here Nor There a book

Porn Wine Women and Song

Tomahawk two releases

Salad of A Thousand Delights DVD

Pigs of the Roman Empire w/Lustmord

Never Breath What you Can't See

Jellvins EP unreleased

Add in HAT to this.

This is a lot of fucken music. Surely you an pick out something in this list you will like. If nothing else the selection is good. For fucks sake just look at that body of work since the Trilogy. Throw in the countless tours they have done.

And the beauty is purchase is not manditory.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: mumu on August 05, 2005, 07:43:41 PM
Quote from: cellphoneI almost started to read that book of a post blipntime wrote, until I saw how long it would take.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: cellphone on August 05, 2005, 08:14:35 PM
Quote from: blipntimei seem to remember liking pigs of the roman empire, but i have a really short attention span. it sounds good. it really does. it just isnt very interesting. ive not been able to sit and listen to the whole thing. just bits and pieces at various times. tell ya what lets do---i'll put it on my ipod and listen to it today in its entirety from start to finish. then ill give an updated opinion. im sure its one of their stronger collaborations. only one or two songs jumped out at me from it. and they werent very memorable. HAT and all prior releases I havent had a problem with...but maybe it is me.

I hope you're not one of those people who sit and stare at their stereo/ipod/8-track while listening to music.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: TGH on August 05, 2005, 08:23:10 PM
Quote from: GrimReaperVenomus Concept
.

That albums fuckins rocks.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: blipntime2 on August 05, 2005, 11:54:53 PM
I hope you're not one of those people who sit and stare at their stereo/ipod/8-track while listening to music.[/quote]


Only if the drugs are quality.

Hey I think my recent diatribes got me kicked out of here. It wouldnt let me log in at all, and I had to register again. Everyone is out to get me.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: cellphone on August 05, 2005, 11:57:53 PM
that's just the drugs talking.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: blipntime on August 06, 2005, 12:44:04 AM
No I quit doing drugs a couple of days ago.
I want to listen to Pigs Of The Roman Empire but I downloaded the Black Sabbath box set to my Ipod, and I had never noticed it because I had the remasters from the mid 90s (imports from England) and those sounded pretty good...BUT THE BOX SET IS FUCKING GODHEAD. You can hear a lot more reverb, and echo on Ozzy's voice (Into the Void in particular) and all these inverted triads and shit underneath a lot of their heavy riffs I had NEVER heard before.

Man Black Sabbath you can just keep coming back to and its always satisfying.

But Ill listen to Pigs tomorrow. I SWEAR.
I could be listening to it now, but Gang Of Four's on. I tried to listen to it today and I would get impatient because like, it feels like the music is on the verge of kicking in but it never does. It doesnt quite have the suspenseful feel of their other dirges. You know like when the drums come in at 9 minutes into Lysol AND THEY COULDNT HAVE COME IN ANY SOONER.

That shit please me to no end.
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: anaconda on August 06, 2005, 01:27:35 AM
tony?  :o
Title: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Vcavallo on August 06, 2005, 02:43:06 AM
oh right...tony.. where has he gone?
Title: Re: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: meezer on May 04, 2014, 08:15:23 PM
Very interesting! Tony?! Ha! \:D/ :facepalm: :later: =D>
Title: Re: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Satchel Paige on May 05, 2014, 04:59:12 PM
even if you took 'skeeter' out of the buzz ep
dale>buzz>joe
bricklebrit sucks
blip,
i hope you didnt overdosed
so you can read that youre a douchbag...

but alas,
talking to ghosts
Title: Re: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: Dumpster D on May 05, 2014, 06:13:51 PM
I Think all you have to do Is watch SALAD OF A THOUSAND DELIGHTS to understand why Joe had to go.

If I had to work with a guy whos Always just off in his own thing when the team is waiting for your cue.

FUcK I would fucking SNAP.

Listen to how out in left feild Joe is compared to the other two EPs.

Safe to assume he wasnt much of a Team player. (But I DO think he sounded GREAT on the albums he played on)
Title: Re: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: dead mike on May 05, 2014, 07:42:26 PM
Yeah, but the way he shoved that one kid off the stage brought a tear to my eye.
Title: Re: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: anaconda on May 05, 2014, 09:03:28 PM
Quote from: meezer on May 04, 2014, 08:15:23 PM
Very interesting! Tony?! Ha! \:D/ :facepalm: :later: =D>

Tony was so prolific, he got his own book deal:

(http://thesickos.free.fr/tony-bullshitter.jpg)

:lol:
Title: Re: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: meezer on May 05, 2014, 10:48:15 PM
Tony, please! Just listen to the frackin' CD, and write down two or three goddamn sentences about it! It's not like we're asking you to edit and upload a King Buzzo interview! [-X
Title: Re: buzz's comments re: joe preston ep
Post by: anaconda on May 05, 2014, 10:50:47 PM
tony was really quite great at the start! He had a Les Paul,
access to a serious studio, and a contract on the horizon.