themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Discussion => Topic started by: musefreek on November 27, 2003, 08:14:10 AM

Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: musefreek on November 27, 2003, 08:14:10 AM
Hi everyone

I'm new to this board and The Melvins. I've heard about them countless of times of course but thought it's time I actually get an album by them.

So, my questions to all you experienced Melvin people are: what album should I get first that is a good introduction to the band?

I've read good reviews about Stoner Witch. Would that be any good?

Thanks for your help.

Vernard (I'm South African)
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: Reverend Ebeneezer on November 27, 2003, 08:56:37 AM
Muse eh? *Raises eyebrows*

Nah, I'm being a pathetic elitist...sorry. Anyhow, Stoner Witch is a fantastic album but you can get Melvinmania for about
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: GrimReaper on November 27, 2003, 09:03:55 AM
Is every new member on this site going to ask which Melvins c/d to get?
Is this a running joke that I'm not privy to?
Anyway welcome aboard. Get Stoner Witch, Stag and H.A.T.
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: alnis on November 27, 2003, 11:28:34 AM
Every melvins album is a good album, but if you want to hear an album with good scop and a variety of melvins styles, get Stag. Or HAT.

They're both really good, but for some reason HAT doesn't sit that well with me. It's good...but for it kind of sounds like the melvins trying to sound like the melvins.
Title: Re: what do you recommend?
Post by: GodDammit on November 27, 2003, 11:48:11 AM
Prick.  It's a fanastic album.  Get it.
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: cooter on November 27, 2003, 12:14:22 PM
texasucks
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: Ed on November 27, 2003, 07:22:11 PM
I don't mean to sound rude here, but I'm feeling this question should be put on an FAQ somewhere...

And the answer should be Houdini.
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: turnacus on November 28, 2003, 01:56:23 AM
Ozma dude, Ozma.
Title: Re: what do you recommend?
Post by: Beto Brasil on November 28, 2003, 03:35:23 AM
Stag,pretty good...
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: lazy klumpfenstein on November 28, 2003, 04:56:01 AM
put up FAQ for newbs!!! :) and we will be saved from the same ol` same ol` threads :D
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: musefreek on November 28, 2003, 07:09:33 AM
Well, I went out yesterday and bought myself Stoner Witch. I definitely wasn't let down first listen of and I didn't expect it to be as metal as it is.
I reckon I can totally get into them.

Funny just how the album change completely as it progresses. Funny the last bit where he says "whaddaya mean, my lungs are fine" *heavy breathing*

I think I might get Houdini next as I've read it's quite similar. Yes/no?
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: The Chalupa on November 28, 2003, 12:50:44 PM
Ozma/ Gluey Porch Treatments
Stoner Witch
HAT
Stag
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: Dr. Gonzo on November 28, 2003, 05:00:33 PM
Definately prick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definately.... it's the best to get into the melvins, then the other more "difficult" albums like stag should be moved onto when you "understand" the melvins
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: Dave on November 28, 2003, 10:44:53 PM
Welcome... It's nice to have you here,

I've noticed something strange...

Anyone who buys a Melvins album and likes it, will end up a Melvins addict and eventually get all their albums.... It is a strange phenomenon, but I think everyone here will agree with me about this...

So be very careful, once you buy one, you will be hooked...


That being said... DO NOT start with Prick or Collossus of Destiny, anyone who recommends those is joking...

I started with Houdini, it's a good place to start...

And like I said if you buy that and like it (it's worth it for Night Goat alone) you will be hooked and end up buying the rest.
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: The Wise Shotgun on November 29, 2003, 08:14:16 PM
You don't have enough money to be loved by anyone Davey boy, so start whackin'.
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: KurtCobain2902 on November 29, 2003, 09:49:22 PM
Houdini man!! I don't really like Honky. :roll:
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: The Wise Shotgun on November 29, 2003, 10:28:11 PM
Houdini is a very good one.
But fuck you Kurt Cobain.
When will you die? Please?
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: Beto Brasil on November 30, 2003, 05:39:45 AM
Quote from: KurtCoabin2902Houdini man!! I don't really like Honky. :roll:

im scared,im old today.but , the news baby fans believe that HOUDINI is the best Melvins Album ,only because Kurt Cocain produced some songs and played in Sky PuP.....man , i dont know,this guys hear music for KC?


HOUDINI is excellent , but not because kurt cocain produced,because is more one MELVINS ALBUM...... remember this okay?

man , believe in you, and no in dead people.
thanks
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

and remember too, "Kurt Cocain burn in hell"
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: KurtCobain2902 on November 30, 2003, 09:19:57 PM
Don't fucking jump all over my ass because I like Kurt you prick. I didn't do anything to you. I don't like Houdini because Kurt produced some of it. I just think it's a really good album. I am knew to the Melvins bet they're my second favorite band.
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: Reverend Ebeneezer on December 01, 2003, 05:32:30 AM
Quote from: KurtCobain2902Don't fucking jump all over my ass because I like Kurt you prick. I didn't do anything to you. I don't like Houdini because Kurt produced some of it. I just think it's a really good album. I am knew to the Melvins bet they're my second favorite band.

Pay no heed...Kurt Cobain is to Beto what a spark is to blue touch-paper, know what I mean? In any case, I think many of of the posters here owe their introduction to the Melvins to Nirvana and Kurt, specifically. I know I found out about them through the gateway of grunge...
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: Beto Brasil on December 01, 2003, 06:42:16 AM
Quote from: KurtCobain2902Don't fucking jump all over my ass because I like Kurt you prick. I didn't do anything to you. I don't like Houdini because Kurt produced some of it. I just think it's a really good album. I am knew to the Melvins bet they're my second favorite band.

repeat please:

I KNOW HOUDINI BECAUSE KLOSERCOCAIN PRODUCED SOME SONGS.

thank you
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: Reverend Ebeneezer on December 01, 2003, 06:48:05 AM
Quote from: Beto Brasil
Quote from: KurtCobain2902Don't fucking jump all over my ass because I like Kurt you prick. I didn't do anything to you. I don't like Houdini because Kurt produced some of it. I just think it's a really good album. I am knew to the Melvins bet they're my second favorite band.

repeat please:

I KNOW HOUDINI BECAUSE KLOSERCOCAIN PRODUCED SOME SONGS.

thank you

Have you ever considered that he might like the album anyway. I'm a Nirvana fan and I love Houdini for what it is in itself. YOU'VE admitted to liking Nirvana. Lay off this guy's case, your 'Kurt Cocain' jokes are getting old. We know you don't like him but others do...
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: Beto Brasil on December 01, 2003, 06:54:40 AM
Quote from: Reverend Ebeneezer
Quote from: Beto BrasilHave you ever considered that he might like the album anyway. I'm a Nirvana fan and I love Houdini for what it is in itself. YOU'VE admitted to liking Nirvana. Lay off this guy's case, your 'Kurt Cocain' jokes are getting old. We know you don't like him but others do...

look, i like Nirvana ,yeah, Dave and Chris are goods..but ,the gay,faggot Kurt Cocain was a shit.
this OTHERS guy that you speak about,are news fans,after Nevermind ,Unplugged or KC dead.so fuck him.
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: musefreek on December 01, 2003, 07:21:48 AM
this Brazil guy is just tryin to wound everyone up so just ignore him. The point of this thread is what album to start out with, not Kurt Cobain.

I've bought my first album, am happy with it so that's it!

End of thread.
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: Dave on December 01, 2003, 03:16:07 PM
Quote from: musefreek

End of thread.


I dont think so!


Now that you've bought your first album... Don't you feel the overwhelming desire to buy another?
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: KurtCobain2902 on December 01, 2003, 04:13:27 PM
Thanks Ebeneezer.  :D
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: Reverend Ebeneezer on December 01, 2003, 05:19:49 PM
Quote from: KurtCobain2902Thanks Ebeneezer.  :D

No prob, man.
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: musefreek on December 02, 2003, 06:29:01 AM
Ha!

I certainly do, and each time I listen to Stoner Witch I want to find out more about this band and the music they make. They really are intriguing. I thought I'll definitely get Houdini next since that goes hand in hand with Stoner Witch ( I think) . After getting that it's up to the board to decide.

Thinking about, I'm actually going to let the boardmembers decide from now on which albums I should get. They'll know best of course.

:)
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: musefreek on December 02, 2003, 06:31:35 AM
I might just add, the other reason why I can totally get into them is because they have such a vast back catalogue. As a collector of music it's a total dream come true and my credit card's worst nightmare!
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: Reverend Ebeneezer on December 02, 2003, 06:50:32 AM
Quote from: musefreekI might just add, the other reason why I can totally get into them is because they have such a vast back catalogue. As a collector of music it's a total dream come true and my credit card's worst nightmare!

I hear you there, buddy. I thought that the Melvins were a music nerd's wet dream come true as well. Rare, deleted albums and singles! Coloured vinyl! I almost wish I was a Melvins newbie again.

Ahem. Anyhow, yes, Houdini's sensible but then if you wish to progress back through their early stuff, grab Bullhead for a taste and if you want to see which direction they've headed in since Stoner, try Stag or Maggot and Bootlicker...
Title: UGH
Post by: Dave on December 02, 2003, 03:12:15 PM
Get HAT.


Get HAT.


Get a big 'ole HAT.
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: KurtCobain2902 on December 02, 2003, 03:58:09 PM
I'm gonna get Bullhead and Stoner Witch next!
Title: what do you recommend?
Post by: The Chalupa on December 02, 2003, 06:24:14 PM
Quote from: KurtCobain2902I'm gonna get Bullhead and Stoner Witch next!
nice choices