themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Show Reviews => Topic started by: tededfred on October 26, 2005, 09:23:47 AM

Title: 10/25/2005 Black Cat Washington, DC w/ Jello Biafra
Post by: tededfred on October 26, 2005, 09:23:47 AM
the Melvins killed!  Their 'new' bassist, the dude we all saw a few years ago playing 2nd guitar on tour is great.  he holds it down as well as anyone as well as continuing to add further noise dimensions to their sound.  Other than the opening number from Houdini i don't believe they did anything pre-trilogy.  but i could be wrong.  it was nice to see the return of moshing at the black cat club, although security seemed a little rough.
  had never seen jello before.  he was awesome...like  a mix of liberace and iggy pop w/a heavy sneer.  he definitely took the energy level up a few more notches from the already high mark set by the melvins.
  haram were good too.  heavy superchunk/faith no more/drone influences.
Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: Hank Hill on October 26, 2005, 09:52:51 AM
pics ?
Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: Bitches of Copacabana on October 26, 2005, 10:23:02 AM
Quote from: tededfred on October 26, 2005, 09:23:47 AM
Other than the opening number from Houdini i don't believe they did anything pre-trilogy.
Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: Bitches of Copacabana on October 26, 2005, 10:31:01 AM
By the way... I did take some pics.  I had bought a digital camera on a whim before the show so I could take some decent shots (I needed one anyways).  A few of them came out pretty well... they're alright.  A couple of DSS during his set, a few of Buzzo, but I couldn't get any of Dale from where I was... believe me, I tried my damndest.  But towards the end of the Melvins set... dude man in a black cowboy hat came up to me and said, "No more pictures tonight."  Maybe a policy for Alternative Tentacles or Jello's thing?  I dunno, but needless to say I didn't get any of him or anyone else during the last set.  But as soon as I get all the software installed and figure this bad boy out, I'll post whatever I have when I get the chance.
Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: Hank Hill on October 26, 2005, 10:59:18 AM
It's a trip looking at how skinny he used to be -
Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: Raoul on October 26, 2005, 12:13:38 PM
I was there.
Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: turnacus on October 26, 2005, 02:27:47 PM
Yeah, I agree, what a killer show. I got bored of Jellvins about halfway through, due to Jello's political rantings, during which, I kept shouting "Nader!", to no avail.

The Melvins set ruled. Amazon got the crowd movin, as did night goat.

And despite my previous criticism of Jello, I gotta say, the highlight of the show was probably plesthymograph, killer song, awesome with Jello running out, I was bouncin like no ones buisness.




And thank you for yelling Alice Cooper. And fuck buzz for not playing it.

Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: turnacus on October 26, 2005, 02:37:54 PM
As for Jello's weight, its funny to see him enjoying the greater quantity of cheaper food that comes from division of labor and capitalism, and yet at the same time, ranting against corporations.

Its straight, I'm sure Buzz'll get sick of him soon enough, and split.
Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: anaconda on October 26, 2005, 03:51:30 PM
it says something that they couldnt just pull Halo out and play it.
Pre-rehearsed and canned set maybe? Sounds like it was great anyways
Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: turnacus on October 26, 2005, 04:37:45 PM
Oh it was a great set, but have the Melvins ever played halo with a 2nd guitarist?
Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: anaconda on October 26, 2005, 04:57:08 PM
good point! all the boots of it have adam jones on the recording!!!
Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: turnacus on October 26, 2005, 07:53:42 PM
house of blues...

Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: rhett E rock on October 26, 2005, 08:28:38 PM
that sucks.  my favorite song on the new album and they most definitely won't play it live.
Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: Bitches of Copacabana on October 26, 2005, 09:16:43 PM
Quote from: rhett E rock on October 26, 2005, 08:28:38 PM
that sucks.
Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: Hank Hill on October 27, 2005, 10:51:11 AM
Apparently this has happened twice now?  This makes me wonder why Halo of Flies is even on the setlist, can it be done with one guitar?  It's the best track on Sieg Howdy!  !

Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: meanclown on October 27, 2005, 05:08:50 PM
Hey there -

with all due respect to the topic of "Halo"......spoke briefly w/Buzz @ the NYC show...a gentleman in all respects......Jello was anxious to do it, but Buzz explained quite simply it's a complex tune that  Dave Stone has still not completely worked through on bass...Dave used to play the 2nd guitar part back when Kevin was playing bass, but as I'm sure you can all appreciate, the bass part is an entirely different beast. Jello said Buzz expressed concern that attempting the tune at this point might even throw his guitar arrangement  off a bit, w/respect to Dave still fine-tuning his bass part....I get the feeling Buzz simply wants to make sure the band is firing on all cylinders with the tune when they finally unleash it. Perfectly understandable to me, anyway. Perhaps just reserved for sound checks now? Maybe as the tour progresses it'll work it's way into the set...no doubt 'Jelvins' love the tune, and appreciate the fact that so many fans are jonesing to hear them pound it out! I know I am.......but remember, great things are often worth waiting for! Then again, that was Sunday...maybe they've worked it out by now! peace.....
Title: Melvins/Jelvins DC 10/25/05- Pics.
Post by: niki on October 27, 2005, 09:12:17 PM
I don't post much here, but I lurk. I know, lurkers suck. I just have too many boards as it is...hehe.

Anyways, enough rambling. Here are the pictures I took at the show. I got some small video clips too. It was an excellent show. I couldn't have asked for a better evening. Well, except a longer Melvins set...but I am happy with what I got...:)

The Melvins
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc10.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc11.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc12.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc13.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc14.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc15.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc16.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc17.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc18.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc19.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc20.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc21.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc22.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc23.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc24.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc25.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc26.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc28.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc29.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc30.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc31.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc32.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc33.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc34.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc35.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc36.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc37.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc38.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc39.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc40.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc41.jpg)

Jello and the melvins (didn't get many of these, I had to get away from the stage for a lil while, people were pissin me off)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc42.jpg)

(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc43.jpg)

Title: Re: Melvins/Jelvins DC 10/25/05- Pics.
Post by: niki on October 27, 2005, 09:15:56 PM
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc44.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc45.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc46.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc47.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc48.jpg)
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc51.jpg)
Title: Re: Melvins/Jelvins DC 10/25/05- Pics.
Post by: DubEMC on October 27, 2005, 09:16:57 PM
Buzz looks like he needs to lay off on the cheeseburgers.
Title: Re: Melvins/Jelvins DC 10/25/05- Pics.
Post by: Bitches of Copacabana on October 27, 2005, 10:13:32 PM
Quote from: DubEMC on October 27, 2005, 09:16:57 PM
Buzz looks like he needs to lay off on the cheeseburgers.

ROCK AND ROLL MCDONNNNALDZ!!!!!

Goddamn these are some good pics... no point in even posting the ones I took.  But I don't see why dude man in the black cowboy hat (behind ski-mask Buzz) told me "No pics tonight" towards the end of the first set.  I was pretty much in the same spot the whole night, so maybe my flash was pissing somebody off... and THAT'S the real reason Buzz turned down my shout out for Halo........  :(

*buries face in pillow*
Title: Re: Melvins/Jelvins DC 10/25/05- Pics.
Post by: rhett E rock on October 27, 2005, 10:22:40 PM
damn, you went crazy with the pictures.  awesome. 

DSS looks kind of like Thurston Moore in some of those pics.  his guitar looks just like my Cruise.  just a much bigger version.  aww my first bass.

i swear in some pictures if Buzz slicked his hair back he could be in the Sopranos.
(http://www.hellbetties.com/melvins/bc25.jpg)
Title: Re: Melvins/Jelvins DC 10/25/05- Pics.
Post by: niki on October 28, 2005, 05:44:52 AM
Quote from: Bitches of Copacabana on October 27, 2005, 10:13:32 PM
Quote from: DubEMC on October 27, 2005, 09:16:57 PM
Buzz looks like he needs to lay off on the cheeseburgers.

ROCK AND ROLL MCDONNNNALDZ!!!!!

Goddamn these are some good pics... no point in even posting the ones I took.  But I don't see why dude man in the black cowboy hat (behind ski-mask Buzz) told me "No pics tonight" towards the end of the first set.  I was pretty much in the same spot the whole night, so maybe my flash was pissing somebody off... and THAT'S the real reason Buzz turned down my shout out for Halo........  :(

*buries face in pillow*

Thank ya. :)

I dunno why he said that to ya. They knew I had my cam as soon as I walked in the door, and they said it was okay. I don' t think they know wtf they are talking about sometimes, well....most of the time. haha.
My friend took a little bit of video on her camcorder. We were right up front, so she was gettin pushed around alot and decided to go to the bar and film a lil bit, and the bartender told her she couldn't use her cam, but she probably could if she went back up front. Wtf. :o
Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: Hank Hill on October 28, 2005, 08:46:08 AM
Thanks for asking him.
This Alice Cooper guy's music seems to be an big influence on Buzz.
Title: Re: Melvins/Jelvins DC 10/25/05- Pics.
Post by: Hank Hill on October 28, 2005, 08:51:27 AM
::
Title: Re: Melvins/Jello/Haram 10/25 DC...
Post by: tastelikedirt on October 28, 2005, 11:12:35 PM
     Halo of Flies was part of the Melvins set 92/93...




just sayin'
Title: Re: Melvins/Jelvins DC 10/25/05- Pics.
Post by: chopklop on November 08, 2005, 12:29:07 PM
Buzz does look to be gettin' his roll on again if you know what I mean. Must mean he's living well, good for him!