themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Show Reviews => Topic started by: KURDTLUVUR! on November 15, 2005, 09:00:03 PM

Title: 11/16/2005 Henry Fonda Theatre Los Angeles, CA w/ Jello Biafra, Altamont
Post by: KURDTLUVUR! on November 15, 2005, 09:00:03 PM
This show is going to be SCANDALOUS!  I'm bringing an assload of film, in the hopes of capturing every single person in attendance.  Stories of this concert will be told for DECADES I tell you! [-o<
Title: Re: prepare yourselves: LOS ANGELES MELVINS SHOW TOMORROW!
Post by: THE DON on November 15, 2005, 09:22:33 PM
see you there KURDTLUVUR!!!!!!!!

are cameras allowed in there?
Title: Re: prepare yourselves: LOS ANGELES MELVINS SHOW TOMORROW!
Post by: RichieGoodtimes on November 15, 2005, 09:27:08 PM
I had an emergency come up and I can't go. My flight down there was an hour ago. Me and Moss were gonna go to Jumbos tonight.

I'm kinda bummed about missing the Melvins, but I'm super bummed about not getting to go to Jumbos.
Title: Re: prepare yourselves: LOS ANGELES MELVINS SHOW TOMORROW!
Post by: KURDTLUVUR! on November 15, 2005, 09:57:38 PM
No Richie?!?!? That's a crying shame!  A SHAME!
Why does everyone love Jumbo's?  The best looking women, or the best prices?!?

I'm pretty sure cameras are allowed... but I wouldn't trust that account.
Title: Re: prepare yourselves: LOS ANGELES MELVINS SHOW TOMORROW!
Post by: THE DON on November 15, 2005, 10:10:48 PM
is the show sold out?
Title: Re: prepare yourselves: LOS ANGELES MELVINS SHOW TOMORROW!
Post by: THE DON on November 15, 2005, 10:16:43 PM
KURDTLUVUR!  you and i will finally meet!!!  well maybe...  :? :? :? :?
Title: Re: prepare yourselves: LOS ANGELES MELVINS SHOW TOMORROW!
Post by: RichieGoodtimes on November 15, 2005, 10:23:07 PM
I love Jumbos...I guess for the depravity of it all. And I got friends who work there.

Hasn't been the same since the no booze with tits law passed though.
Title: Re: prepare yourselves: LOS ANGELES MELVINS SHOW TOMORROW!
Post by: gesundheit on November 15, 2005, 10:26:26 PM
and adam might sit in too.....
Title: Re: prepare yourselves: LOS ANGELES MELVINS SHOW TOMORROW!
Post by: TGH on November 15, 2005, 11:17:55 PM
Some must record this. (Hopefully video?)
Title: Re: prepare yourselves: LOS ANGELES MELVINS SHOW TOMORROW!
Post by: GrimReaper on November 16, 2005, 03:33:09 AM
Kurdt and Don, did you survive the night?
Title: Re: prepare yourselves: LOS ANGELES MELVINS SHOW TOMORROW!
Post by: klump on November 16, 2005, 06:13:16 AM
when altamont comes out , start shouting "Toshi! Toshi!"
Title: Re: prepare yourselves: LOS ANGELES MELVINS SHOW TOMORROW!
Post by: THE DON on November 16, 2005, 01:01:03 PM
im ganna be screaming KURDTLUVUR! give me  some karma !!!!!!!
Title: Re: prepare yourselves: LOS ANGELES MELVINS SHOW TOMORROW!
Post by: KURDTLUVUR! on November 16, 2005, 07:29:38 PM
Quote from: don chente on November 16, 2005, 01:01:03 PM
im ganna be screaming KURDTLUVUR! give me  some karma !!!!!!!
=D> =D> =P~ =P~ :love: :love:
(http://themelvins.net/forum/Smileys/default/eusa_dance.gif)(http://themelvins.net/forum/Smileys/default/eusa_dance.gif)(http://themelvins.net/forum/Smileys/default/eusa_dance.gif)(http://themelvins.net/forum/Smileys/default/eusa_dance.gif)(http://themelvins.net/forum/Smileys/default/eusa_dance.gif)
Title: Re: prepare yourselves: LOS ANGELES MELVINS SHOW TOMORROW!
Post by: anaconda on November 17, 2005, 12:25:36 AM
you 2 hookin up? :lol:
Title: Jello Biafra/Melvins - Fonda - Hollywood CA
Post by: fathollywood on November 17, 2005, 04:25:54 AM
This show kicked ass the melvins were awsome and jellow was a madman for the first time seeing either but being a big fan this was a show to see for sure... all the DK songs were great... the house came down for holiday in cambodia it was insane... I just wish that the melvins played more of their songs... they were more of a backround band with their skimasks on for the DK set... i would of liked to hear revolve and youth of america but it was still a great show...
Title: Re: Jello Biafra/Melvins - Fonda - Hollywood CA
Post by: chopklop on November 17, 2005, 11:30:53 AM
I'm sorry, but maybe my expectations were too high going into this show but I thought it sucked. Altamont was okay, interesting to see Dale getting down with his own band. They were nice and heavy but Dale may need to work a little on his vocal prowess to keep it interesting the whole set through. The best part of the show for me was how when Altamont left the stage their drummer kept playing all the way through DSS setting up and into him doing his feedback thing. Then Dale takes over and Buzz comes out they go into Pigs which was pretty damn cool. Drums sounded great but lost some of their initial impact due to the Altamont guy using Dale's set and I don't think the volume changed at all. Now I don't know about some of you but to me a great thing about seeing the Melvins was always the BIG difference in sound between Dale and the opening act drums.This was the most amount of people I've ever seen at a Melvins gig though I'm pretty sure some of it was due to the bloated relic that was about to take the stage. Melvins sounded great despite the set list being way too short.

Then came out the blow hard in his bloody surgeon jacket and they went into Plethysmograph I believe. They sounded alright but looking at Jello up there doing his predictable miming shit and reliving them damn DK songs I couldn't help but think how much better the show would have been without him.  His hair these days seems to say,"Sir, what do I have to do today to put you in a Le Sabre?"

Also, I don't know about anyone else but the whole vibe in the crowd was plain uncomfortable and bit stupid. I saw some fights and a lot of idiotic verbal confrontations between people. One guy next to me was standing right on the edge of the pit and when someone bumped into him causing him to spill his beer he got all pissed and would not let it go. Right around that point Jello launches into one of his predictable excercises in political rhetoric about some book about a soldiers experiences in Iraq and then he urges the crowd to not join the military and says we're keeping the Iraqi people from being free.

Whatever Jello. We didn't pay to see one of your sorry ass spoken word gigs. So become president and save the world for us. Whatever will stop your hen cackle excuse for a voice.

At that point I went to the lobby and found my friend to leave and just then two dipishits were in full on fisticuffs with security guards because they got kicked out and wanted back in. I don't know what it was, maybe Jello being there brought a bunch of the old violent punk fuckers out of the woodwork or something. Every Melvins gig I ever been too (about 7) were always relatively peaceful affairs and people by and large seemed to be enjoying themselves. The meat head factor was in full effect for this one kids. A disappointing one in my book.
Title: Re: Jello Biafra/Melvins - Fonda - Hollywood CA
Post by: THE DON on November 17, 2005, 12:14:00 PM
hahahaha i was the guy who made that guy spill his beer
i was in the pit for all of jellos set
the melvins were great, just would like them to have a longer set.

Title: Re: Jello Biafra/Melvins - Fonda - Hollywood CA
Post by: mumu on November 17, 2005, 12:24:52 PM
When Jello said the U.S. was using torture techniques that even Sadaam and Hitler wouldn't use, I thought I was going to throw up.  Other than that, I enjoyed the concert.  Did you see the little pink haired girl that kept running around the pit?  There was a girl with huge white hair there, that looked like she was part of halloween.  Didn't really see anyone that looked under 23.  Chopklop is right- of the numerous Melvins concerts I've seen, the meathead factor was definitely highest tonight. 
Title: Re: Jello Biafra/Melvins - Fonda - Hollywood CA
Post by: THE DON on November 17, 2005, 12:58:24 PM
i saw that girl in the pit like once...

Title: Re: Jello Biafra/Melvins - Fonda - Hollywood CA
Post by: GrimReaper on November 17, 2005, 01:43:00 PM
Chop, that review is outstanding.

It boils down to this: Like the Jelvins or not, this part in the on going saga of Buzz and Dale is over.

You saw a historical last show.
Title: Re: Jello Biafra/Melvins - Fonda - Hollywood CA
Post by: glen on November 17, 2005, 01:51:15 PM
Quote from: GrimReaper on November 17, 2005, 01:43:00 PM
Chop, that review is outstanding.

It boils down to this: Like the Jelvins or not, this part in the on going saga of Buzz and Dale is over.

You saw a historical last show.

I thought I read somewhere around here that MELVINS/Jello were doing a tour of Europe in December.    someone even had tour dates.     recess?   galv?   is this true? 
the saga continues.
Title: Re: Jello Biafra/Melvins - Fonda - Hollywood CA
Post by: norecess on November 17, 2005, 02:31:27 PM
Quote from: glen on November 17, 2005, 01:51:15 PM
I thought I read somewhere around here that MELVINS/Jello were doing a tour of Europe in December.    someone even had tour dates.     recess?   galv?   is this true? 

Glen, don't do this to me, man Last August Conda already told me about a European Altamont/Porn tour and it turned out he just dreamt it. I don't believe anything until Ipecac has confirmed it. Otherwise, it's just too painful.
Title: Re: Jello Biafra/Melvins - Fonda - Hollywood CA
Post by: chopklop on November 17, 2005, 02:44:29 PM
Well, if it was indeed the last show then all I've got to say is Good Riddance.  Seeing the Melvins as a backing band is just kind of funny I guess. Can't wait for'em to get back to doing what they do best.
Title: Re: Jello Biafra/Melvins - Fonda - Hollywood CA
Post by: glen on November 17, 2005, 04:08:29 PM
here is what I saw:

The Melvins have unveiled the schedule of dates for their upcoming European/UK run, it looks as follows:
November 04th Zurich, SWI - Rote Fabrik
November 05th Fribourg, SWI - Fri-Son
November 08th Graz, AUT - Orpheum
November 09th Linz, AUT - Postof
November 13th Amsterdam, NET - Melkweg
November 14th Bielefeld, GER - TBA
November 15th Hamburg, GER - TBA
November 16th Berlin, GER - TBA
November 17th Warsaw,POL - TBA
November 20th Florence, ITA - Flog
November 21st Milan, ITA - Rainbow
November 22nd Rome, ITA - Circolo degli Artisti
November 23rd Bologna, ITA - Container/Estragon
November 24th Turin, ITA - Hiroshima
November 26th Mulhouse, FRA - Noumatrouf
November 27th Lyon, FRA - Ninkasi
November 28th Evreux, FRA - L'Abordage
November 29th Brussels, BEL - Ancienne Belgique
November 30th London, UK - Mean Fiddler

I dug it up about a page or 2 back.  I knew I saw something.
thread title was something about Melvins European Tour Dates (all of them).
I guess the biggest issue I see here is:  IT'S NOVEMBER 17th TODAY!   pretty big issue seeing as this list has them in Poland tonight.   
sorry recess,    I guess it was bullshit that I bit on.
Title: Re: Jello Biafra/Melvins - Fonda - Hollywood CA
Post by: meanclown on November 17, 2005, 05:44:18 PM
hey there glen - you know it's funny, I remember seeing those dates posted here somewhere recently too - but I think they're '04 dates - check the list of shows  from '04.
Title: Re: Jello Biafra/Melvins - Fonda - Hollywood CA
Post by: gesundheit on November 21, 2005, 11:39:23 AM
so shouldn't there be more reviews for this show?
Title: Re: Jello Biafra/Melvins - Fonda - Hollywood CA
Post by: mumu on November 21, 2005, 07:54:48 PM
I've got pictures coming in a few weeks.  I tried to take as many pics possible of the crowd (a new art project), so if you were there you might be in the pictures.  Like many have already said, the crowd up front was really rowdy.  Lots of security..Altamonts set segued into Melvins set..which melted into the Jelvins set.  A few posters were sale, as well as a few shirts..nothing really special, or specific to just the Melvins. 

I'm curious to see what Big Belvins is going to sound like..I think I'm going to miss Sir Dave Scott stone.  For all the DSS fans out there, I kept hearing some guy ( :shock: :shock: :P) call out his name for a major part of the show.  He sounded like a dedicated fan...
Title: Re: Jello Biafra/Melvins - Fonda - Hollywood CA
Post by: THE DON on December 16, 2005, 09:01:40 PM
ohh can i see your pictures?