themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Discussion => Topic started by: mopafeena on January 26, 2006, 05:48:34 AM

Poll
Question: Which is your favourite solo EP?? er, and Why?
Option 1: Buzz's
Option 2: Dale's
Option 3: Joe's
Title: The best solo EP
Post by: mopafeena on January 26, 2006, 05:48:34 AM
Thought we needed a poll. It's probally already been done but..........
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: norecess on January 26, 2006, 06:36:43 AM
I have voted Buzz's because of Annum.
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: Shatz on January 26, 2006, 07:51:21 AM
I'd go for Dale Crover. Best drawings (the one with him holding a rose just makes me smile the most) and best music, because it sounds different from the Melvins, yet very good in its own right.
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: Anonymous on January 26, 2006, 07:51:59 AM
I vote Joe's. Dale's is probably got stronger song structures, and all that stuff... But, Joe's has some real groove.
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: fearless1000 on January 26, 2006, 09:20:52 AM
The drums at the start of buzz's are pummelling, and I'm never one to turn down such drone and experimentation as is present on joes.

But I voted dales, its just got some damn fine tunes  :D
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: Anonymous on January 26, 2006, 10:49:29 AM
The chorus of Annum... I keep getting the feeling someone has totally ripped that tune off...

Like I've heard it in another song... But I can't put my finger on it...

It's right there... But I can't think...

Has anybody gotten the same weird feeling?... Or is it just me?...
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: Andy on January 26, 2006, 11:33:05 AM
I voted Dale, but to be honest I don't think any of them are any good. Best of a bad bunch.
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: norecess on January 26, 2006, 01:18:24 PM
Quote from: Andy on January 26, 2006, 11:33:05 AM
I voted Dale, but to be honest I don't think any of them are any good. Best of a bad bunch.

You gotta a point there. It seems Dale and Buzz just need each other, which is positive. Would they ever seperate? I bet they won't. Buzz would die without Dale and vice versa.

That may not be the truth, but it's my truth, and I love it!
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: glen on January 26, 2006, 01:50:05 PM
that is indeed a tough question.  I really like dale's on a "good song" level.  but Buzz's just fucking ROCKS like no tomorrow.
Joe's has to appreciated on a different level.

I will put them in a group similar to the trilogy and say (in my opinion) SUCCESS!!

I would classify as follows:  Buzz = the maggot
                                     Dale = the bootlicker
                                     Joe = the crybaby

wow,  that just came to me and I feel I made a pretty profound comparison.  or is it just me?
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: Rex Irae on January 26, 2006, 01:57:06 PM
There is one song on each of them that I like a lot,

Buzz: Annum
Dale: Dead Wipe
Joe: Bricklebrit

But between all of those I voted for Joes.
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: youllneverbe on January 26, 2006, 03:16:06 PM
Still need to get Dale and Joe's
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: klump on January 26, 2006, 04:56:45 PM
I think all three together would make a good album.
but that wasnt what they wanted.
and I dont think you would get so different songs if they had recorded together.
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: mopafeena on January 27, 2006, 12:27:01 AM
I actually forgot to say who i voted for.

It was Dale's. The other two are good but i voted for dale simply because i like his the best. That's the only reason...... obviously
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: Guts on January 27, 2006, 10:08:00 AM
I went with Dale's. I would have voted for Buzz's but it's got Porg.
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: the bloat on January 27, 2006, 04:51:24 PM
Here is how I have dealt with this often confusing connundrum of which solo EP to throw on:

I made a mix CD and here how I have it ordered. It actually sounds pretty cool - almost like how Stag may have sounded had it come out around this time.

1. Hex Me
2. Dead Wipe
3. Isabella
4. Bricklebrit
5. Annum
6. Hands First Flower
7. Respite
8. Hurter
9. Porg
10. Skeeter

Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: cellphone on January 27, 2006, 07:22:25 PM
Dale's, hands-down.  It's really fun with play guitar with, too.  Great, simple, riffs. 
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: Reverend Ebeneezer on January 27, 2006, 07:33:38 PM
Joe's purely for the artistic significance of 'Hand's First Flower' and the sheer awesomeness of 'Bricklebrit'.

Although Dale's does indeed rock, but Buzz's is still IMO fairly worthless. Without 'Annum' it is nothing! Nothing I tells ya!
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: Shatz on January 28, 2006, 05:24:06 AM
Quote from: the bloat on January 27, 2006, 04:51:24 PM
Here is how I have dealt with this often confusing connundrum of which solo EP to throw on:

I made a mix CD and here how I have it ordered. It actually sounds pretty cool - almost like how Stag may have sounded had it come out around this time.

1. Hex Me
2. Dead Wipe
3. Isabella
4. Bricklebrit
5. Annum
6. Hands First Flower
7. Respite
8. Hurter
9. Porg
10. Skeeter

And "The Eagle Has Landed" didn't make the cut? Not that it is an outstanding piece of music, but I always liked the run-amok-in-public-places kind of atmosphere.
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: klump on January 28, 2006, 02:38:09 PM
Quote from: the bloat on January 27, 2006, 04:51:24 PM

almost like how Stag may have sounded had it come out around this time.


I actually have thought about that myself.
its sort of the same way they made Stag.
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: Andy on January 28, 2006, 07:57:11 PM
Quote from: norecess on January 26, 2006, 01:18:24 PM
Quote from: Andy on January 26, 2006, 11:33:05 AM
I voted Dale, but to be honest I don't think any of them are any good. Best of a bad bunch.

You gotta a point there. It seems Dale and Buzz just need each other, which is positive. Would they ever seperate? I bet they won't. Buzz would die without Dale and vice versa.

That may not be the truth, but it's my truth, and I love it!

Dale's drumming is definitely coolest on Melvins songs. Porn/Jello stuff isn't quite as good I think. Er I don't know what my point is.

Artistic significance of Joe's? I suppose it is a big long slow heavy beast. But it's not the first is it? I dunno. I don't enjoy it very much. Ok in the background I suppose.
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: FartLips on January 28, 2006, 08:55:57 PM
buzz's definitely! 
Title: Re: The best solo EP
Post by: Beto Brasil on January 29, 2006, 08:12:48 AM
Dale's definitely!