themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Discussion => Topic started by: Huey P. Newton on October 21, 2004, 10:07:37 PM

Title: HYPE! the Seattle Music Scene Documentary
Post by: Huey P. Newton on October 21, 2004, 10:07:37 PM
Has anyone seen this movie? I heard good things, but I was wondering if you guys would recomend it.
Title: Is HYPE! any good?
Post by: exide on October 21, 2004, 10:23:43 PM
Is it related to the Melvins in anyways?I don't mind if You made a mistake.I am full of frustration.I want to smash and punch everything that is across my way!!!!FUCK OFF!@!!WOUAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!
Title: Is HYPE! any good?
Post by: Huey P. Newton on October 21, 2004, 10:38:17 PM
Yeah, Buzzo is in it. It's about the seattle scene and what not.
Title: Is HYPE! any good?
Post by: exide on October 22, 2004, 12:28:08 AM
What???Buzzo in it???? :o
Title: Re: Is HYPE! any good?
Post by: AlmightyRetard on October 22, 2004, 02:46:48 AM
Quote from: DeleriumHas anyone seen this movie? I heard good things, but I was wondering if you guys would recomend it.

Yeah, It's great...A lot of music, and interviews with Seattle bands...well-known and unknown..
also some interviews with Jack Endino and Charles Peterson (is that his name?) who took a lot of pictures of bands in Seattle.
I strongly recommend you to see it.
Title: Is HYPE! any good?
Post by: Galvano on October 22, 2004, 08:22:00 AM
There's a 7 year bitch interview aswell, if I'm not mistaken.
Title: Is HYPE! any good?
Post by: retrodummy on October 22, 2004, 10:00:09 AM
it is also with a short melvins live clip (about a few seconds) with night goat.
ok, just a few seconds, but its great!
whats also funny is the "first - ever - live - perfomance" of teen spirit.
THAT is what nirvana should have played it.
totally raw, full of screaming, also a very good one...


i highly recommend this one!
Title: Is HYPE! any good?
Post by: cooter on October 23, 2004, 06:29:11 AM
Yes, the photograper is named charles peterson
Title: Is HYPE! any good?
Post by: klump on October 23, 2004, 11:50:27 AM
can somebody rip that small clip?
Title: Is HYPE! any good?
Post by: Beto Brasil on October 23, 2004, 05:12:12 PM
I have this tape.Melvins playing in the GRUNGE FESTIVAL,good small clip of Night Goat,well, who are playing bass in this festival? i dont know this guy!
i can make copys. pm me who want.
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:
Title: Is HYPE! any good?
Post by: Leroy on October 24, 2004, 01:57:16 AM
is it that billy anderson guy who was a fill-in or whatever?  or tom flynn maybe?  i'm not sure, i think those were two of the fill-ins before mark d joined.
Title: HYPE! the Seattle Music Scene Documentary
Post by: Ron Maiden on January 28, 2005, 10:17:58 PM
Hype is gonna be released on DVD with extras, like extra live performances. I wonder if there will be an extended Melvins scene. I hope so. the clip we got was way too short.

hey what happened to the fantomas new record posts?
Title: HYPE on DVD
Post by: Huey P. Newton on January 29, 2005, 11:11:35 AM
Heres the link to where you can buy the DVD:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000654YK6/qid=1107018635/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3954794-0176838?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846
Title: HYPE on DVD
Post by: Beto Brasil on January 29, 2005, 02:16:57 PM
can anyone buy and send me this original DVD? i can send 3 DVDS of my list per this HYPE original DVD.

let me know guys !!
thanks
BB
Title: HYPE on DVD
Post by: Huey P. Newton on January 29, 2005, 04:59:01 PM
Quote from: Beto Brasilcan anyone buy and send me this original DVD? i can send 3 DVDS of my list per this HYPE original DVD.

let me know guys !!
thanks
BB

Will it even work on your DVD? It's a Region 1 DVD.
Title: HYPE on DVD
Post by: Beto Brasil on January 29, 2005, 06:18:29 PM
Quote from: DeleriumWill it even work on your DVD? It's a Region 1 DVD.

oh yeah, my DVD player can play all regions!! :wink:
Title: The Melvins/Hype
Post by: Leroy on September 12, 2005, 10:41:27 PM
Why weren't the Melvins on the Hype soundtrack???  This doesn't make sense to me.  They were much more relavent than a lot of the bands on it!  


Anyways, despite all the mediocre bands, it's still a great movie.  I like the interviews with the guys from Screaming Trees.  That fat guy is funny. "We're the ones who got picked on!  We're nerds, Goddamnit!"
Title: Re: The Melvins/Hype
Post by: GrimReaper on September 13, 2005, 01:03:18 AM
Quote from: LeroyWhy weren't the Melvins on the Hype soundtrack???  This doesn't make sense to me.  They were much more relavent than a lot of the bands on it!

If you look at the credits at the end of Hype the Melvins are listed. Take particular notice to who is listed as playing bass.  :?:  :?:  :?:

There are two fat guys in the Trees, the Connor brothers. Van must be the jovial fat guy you are referring to.
Title: Re: The Melvins/Hype
Post by: norecess on September 13, 2005, 11:46:46 AM
Quote from: LeroyWhy weren't the Melvins on the Hype soundtrack???  This doesn't make sense to me.  They were much more relavent than a lot of the bands on it!

They were not. Hype! is about the Seattle Scene.
Title: The Melvins/Hype
Post by: (PAUL) on September 13, 2005, 01:58:36 PM
Yeah, as Buzz says, they were never from Seattle in the first place, plus they left in the late 80's for San Fran.
Title: The Melvins/Hype
Post by: chuckm792 on September 15, 2005, 04:52:54 PM
Hype! wasn't solely about Seattle bands: Screaming Trees were from Ellensburg (which is Eastern Washington, which is a whole other world than Western WA), Mono Men were from Bellingham (two hours north), and, truthfully, Nirvana were from Aberdeen (an hour or so south and west).  Whether Buzz wants to admit it or not, Melvins were founding fathers of the scene that became what Hype! was about.  Fuck, what's the "Seattle Scene" without Mudhoney, featuring Matt Lukin, founding bass player of the Melvins?  Whether or not Hype! properly pays homage to Buzz and co. probably lies more with the Melvins not participating with the film than a slight by the filmmakers.
Title: The Melvins/Hype
Post by: norecess on September 15, 2005, 04:56:10 PM
I guess that's why the movie is not about both Nirvana and Screaming Trees.
Title: what about the hype movie?
Post by: klump on February 21, 2006, 05:46:19 PM
is there any melvins stuff on it?
is it worth buying?

:?
Title: Re: what about the hype movie?
Post by: anaconda on February 21, 2006, 06:11:43 PM
Their clip wasn't even long enough to be included on the soundtrack.
Title: Re: what about the hype movie?
Post by: klump on February 21, 2006, 07:45:43 PM
Quote from: anaconda on February 21, 2006, 06:11:43 PM
Their clip wasn't even long enough to be included on the soundtrack.


ok, great.

16 bucks saved  :lol:
Title: Re: what about the hype movie?
Post by: mopafeena on February 21, 2006, 09:56:26 PM
Yeah, for a melvins fan it's not really worth it. I wouldn't bother if i was you.

I scored a free copy though.
Title: Re: what about the hype movie?
Post by: Eponymous on February 21, 2006, 10:09:43 PM
I thought the doco was really good. It has been many years since I have seen it, though.
Title: Re: what about the hype movie?
Post by: mopafeena on February 21, 2006, 10:15:23 PM
yeah, i agree. The doco is quite good.

I just meant that if you were buying it purely for the melvins it wouldn't be worth it. If you have any interest in any of the other bands or the """"scene"""" in general, then you may find it worth it.
Title: Re: what about the hype movie?
Post by: Eponymous on February 21, 2006, 10:56:39 PM
I know what you mean.

I have fond memories of the girl from SubPop inventing "Seattle-speak" words for that New York newspaper.
Title: Re: what about the hype movie?
Post by: mopafeena on February 21, 2006, 10:57:32 PM
Quote from: Eponymous on February 21, 2006, 10:56:39 PM
I know what you mean.

I have fond memories of the girl from SubPop inventing "Seattle-speak" words for that New York newspaper.
:lol: Yeah.
Title: Re: what about the hype movie?
Post by: GrimReaper on February 22, 2006, 01:55:15 AM

The Melvins have some bass player named at the end that i've never heard of.

It is a good movie Klump. You should see it for all the other bands.

If I remember right Buzz is interviewed sitting down playing with something he picked off the ground around him. Thats it for the Melvins, except for the mysterious credits at the end.
Title: Re: what about the hype movie?
Post by: ben9785 on March 02, 2006, 04:54:52 PM
yeah i remember seeing this years ago..i might still have a video

i think its got like 10-15 seconds of buzz being interviewed...and maybe one or two short clips of them playing NIGHT GOAT live at some outdoor festival..and thats it..