themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Show Reviews => Topic started by: closedeyevisuals on November 21, 2006, 04:25:24 AM

Title: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: closedeyevisuals on November 21, 2006, 04:25:24 AM
ok where to begin!!!!my day starts out on taking a trip up to the conservatory early to get some lunch and to try to meet everyone from the bands well me and my wife get there no sign so we travel up to wal-mart to pick up some film and my wife says hey dosent the singer have big afro hair i said WHERE WHAT WHERE! she said they just pulled out on the street. i do believe it was a blue mini van so i slow down thinking jared or buzz.as the van approaches they past us oh shit! its buzz my wife says speed up,keep in mind im holding a spit cup for my chewing tobacco.it falls i come up to the van im honking and waiving like a tard buzz was driving and one of the merch guys was riding shotgun,buzz starts waiving so im waiving to next thing i notice is my wife is holding the sterring wheel.so they turn into sonic so i hurry home im pumped ive got the history of bad men at full volume pumped!!!!!!!!!i am !!!!!!so i get home and turn around and head up to the show early i get their about 4:00 it get close to 7:00 and jared,tim moss,dale crover,come wandering into size records. so i approach them one by one pictures with them are took and some stuff signed as well. i didnt realize tim was so short so i was talking to jared the most.this guy is fucking funny.so the line starts outside. i meet up with my friends and mom and dad.pictures and video duty''''''and finally they let us in 8:40 or so....so i rush past some ppl and straight to the merch table i picked up
melvins trick and riddle book
melvins octopuss shirt
and 1 for my son
a big business shirt and the newest tour e.p
a porn shirt
3 of the hat singles these are about gone along with the other7"s
so grab a beer and head over to the left side of the stage theres some kind of music blarring like a warped looping sound that plays for 30 minutes.so its time well santa shows up with elvis and the bass player i didnt recognize someone let me in on who it was? he was wearing a dressed up shirt and jacket tie'''and boxers and black socks...they start fucking brilliant porn is fucking awesome well guess what the fucking god damn pushing at the front of the stage starts some dude knocks over a couple beers and some girl is gasping for air..tim moss Aka old saint nick throws his guitar down leeps int the audience from what appeared he was dragging the dude outside get this piece of shit out of here!!!!! so the music stops and dale is pissed a motherfuckers you wanna play this he says ill tell you what keep it up this stupid moshing childish ********* and we will cancel. so they finished the song and the crowd looked like a bunch of bobble heads for the rest of the show they actually played a longer than usual set.big business starts up and they only played 2 songs from head for the shallow the rest was all new songs most are on the new tour e.p.so has ther finishing up dale already behind the kit and there was a small tap on my shoulder i turned it was buzz oh excuse me. he walks past me and on the stageheres  the set list
talking horse
bloated pope
civilized
doh
sky pup
let it all be
bllod witch
history of drunks
rat faced
the hawk
youve never been right
history of bad men
mech bride
revolve
hooch
the bit
lovely
the closing was okie from muskooge
as buzz his taking off the stage by tim moss and out the doors the band finishes off and dale and coady are dangling from the ceiling then jared starts some monkey chant or something?and the roadies(the english dude is cool as hell) put on monkey masks and start hooping around the they end up wrestling around thats it...so this is the fucking best show ive ever been to....im just sad it came to a end.so we stick around will there blasting zztop and the roadie dudes are up on the stage.i went up on buzz's side of the stage and the roadie hads me the set list.alrighty then ..!!!!!so im thinking this isnt enough the place is praticaly empty.so me and my friend ask for some drum sticks i get a broken one my friend get one from jared on one from dale.so im thinking  cool well the other roadie was over by dales kit and yells hey!! i turn around and he throws the crover gardeing gloves wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. i suck at writing reviews but i had one hell of a night...i talked to coady for awhile and he was saying this isnt it for the tour they will be back next year for another round!!!!!
i got my porn american style cd cover signed right on the chicks crotch by tim moss
and the others were jared and dale on the inserts on the senile animal pages no sign of buzz?

i got some pics and the video part was 2 songs by porn and the melvins 2 or 3 the battery light is on no charger so im sorry about the video guys but ill check with ma and pa and find out if she got the santa scene jumping off the stage that outa be worth it right?
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: closedeyevisuals on November 21, 2006, 04:27:52 AM
damn im tired good night....
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: FartLips on November 21, 2006, 06:05:08 AM
could you repeat that again? :lol:
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: mopafeena on November 21, 2006, 06:25:02 AM
Cool. Hopefully you do have that footage of the santa jump part.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: klump on November 21, 2006, 08:06:54 AM
wow
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on November 21, 2006, 08:20:02 AM
Ha, this is a great review!  Thanks!  I liked the part where your speeding out of the Walmart parking lot with a chewing tobacco cup spilling over, trying to catch up with Buzz!
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: glen on November 21, 2006, 08:27:16 AM
hey, hey  do you get the feeling closedeyevisuals was really excited when he wrote this? I bet his adrenaline was still gushing you get that feeling from his non-stop unpunctuated writing style sounds like this was a highlight night for the tour damn I am jealous he got to meet the band and get autographs but I think he should have whipped into sonic and bought the boys lunch hey that would have been really cool I salute you closedeye for your ability to convey emotions with your fast -talking style of reviewing and thanks for getting me all fired up with the comment by coady about touring again next year.

(please read as fast as possible)
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: norecess on November 21, 2006, 08:27:24 AM
This was one of the best reviews, thanks for posting and sharing your enthusiasm. You picked up some great merch too man. Moshers Must Die!
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on November 21, 2006, 08:41:41 AM
Quote from: glen on November 21, 2006, 08:27:16 AM
hey, hey  do you get the feeling closedeyevisuals was really excited when he wrote this? I bet his adrenaline was still gushing you get that feeling from his non-stop unpunctuated writing style sounds like this was a highlight night for the tour damn I am jealous he got to meet the band and get autographs but I think he should have whipped into sonic and bought the boys lunch hey that would have been really cool I salute you closedeye for your ability to convey emotions with your fast -talking style of reviewing and thanks for getting me all fired up with the comment by coady about touring again next year.

(please read as fast as possible)
That's what I was thinking!


As for moshers, sometime I'll have to bring a stun gun into the pit, for shits and giggles.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: norecess on November 21, 2006, 09:03:12 AM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on November 21, 2006, 08:41:41 AM
As for moshers, sometime I'll have to bring a stun gun into the pit, for shits and giggles.

Thank God for GISM and flamethrowers.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: glen on November 21, 2006, 09:55:27 AM
moshing is SO 1994.  :lol:
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: Guts on November 21, 2006, 12:15:05 PM
That is one hell of an awesome story, closedeye. I can only hope my experience tonight is even a quarter as cool as that.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: Rev. Mike on November 21, 2006, 02:32:36 PM
You didn't buy a poster?  That's one of the best of the tour so far.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: Zelig on November 21, 2006, 04:07:40 PM
Which poster was it?  The one by Soma?
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: Rev. Mike on November 21, 2006, 04:35:43 PM
Nope the Horkey. SOMA's was on halloween.
(http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/135/melvinskz2.jpg)
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: lord of heaviness on November 21, 2006, 05:09:20 PM
Dude, last night was absolute awseome chaos. I was parked directly in front of Jared's cabs all night.
I had no idea about Moss jumping off the stage. That's insane. On the other side of the stage, bout 10 seconds into Porn's set, some Mexican dude rushed the front and whoever was playing bass (guy without the pants) ran up and sent the dude flying back, full shoulder tackle right over me. 
And Porn was amazing. Heavy, sludgy, noisey, gold. Dale did have a moment with the jackasses who kept rushing the stage, and that was when I noticed that a bass moniter was on the floor. I replaced it back on stage, and the bassist really seemed to appreciate the hospitality. My buddy who's a metalcore fan said they were his favorite act of the night. I'd have to disagree with him there, but they were sweet none the less. At least for "action," they get a 2 thumbs up. Don't f**k with Porn.
Right before Big Business's set, I could hear one of the roadies talking about how insanely low Jared tunes down. Kind of funny.
Big Business were mind blowing, especially when you're so close to Jared that his bass is about to smack you in the head. I couldn't get enough of that sub-sonic rumble. By some stroke of luck I was the only dude on that side of the stage during most of their set, so I was able to get full enjoyment. Then right before the Melvins hit the stage, some short fellow came up to Jared with 2 beers in his hands and kept trying to get his attention. He kept waving at him, and screaming as loud as he could at him. Then Jared bent down and told him something along the lines of "...........i'll have you kicked out of here if you keep it up."
Then as the Melvins entered the stage, Jared mentioned to Dale about this guy and they seemed a bit cautious of him coming back.
It was about this point that things got hellish. The alcohol was taking effect for most of the people, and the whole floor was becoming a mosh pit. I was standing next to some very small girl, probably about 19, and I pretty much made it my duty to make sure she didn't get hurt. With the back-slamming madness going on, it was somewhat hard to fully enjoy the Melvins set. There were a few close calls where it looked like the P.A stacks were gonna get knocked over.Even Jared made a funny speech about the moshers, Like "even though you guys think your Superman flailing you're arms around, you're not. You're really a bunch of jerks. And you probably smell pretty bad, too." The moshing then died down just a bit.
Anwyays, the Melvins tore it up. The dual drumming made me weepy at times it was so awesome. The kick drums and toms were nauseating me a bit, in the best possible way. Good thing I skipped dinner, I guess. The monkey thing was hilarious. Dale was also throwing sticks up into the air and bouncing them off of his head afterwards. Throughout the night, Dale kept pulling the Keith Moon stick bounce, and that was pretty funny.
I almost nabbed the "full set list" from Jared's side of the stage, but it got torn in half after me and some other dude tried to grab it.
All in all, best show i've ever been to.

Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: closedeyevisuals on November 22, 2006, 04:17:19 AM
ok im off work now for the holidays!!!!
hey lord i was wearing the singles shirt  with the skull on it and a black hat and a beard? did you see me. i was the one walking around with a couple friends and a older couple(my parents).i was pretty much on the left side of the stage next to buzz.... :D. the santa jump was when they first started i do believe the song was(porch song off of american style) that mexican dude was annoying as fuck.i thought he was the one getting draged out by saint nick? i am still shocked about the show the beeeeeesssssssstttttttt ever!!!!!!!!!!


and to all you guys thanxs for the complements i know i suck at typing the thing is i get really exited at shit like this and i make this little anoying sound kind of like a eeeeee..?


and as for the poster i got that one on hold. i was giving one by one of the merch guys it was the one with redish brown hair talks kida fast..the poster was the chunklet anniversary show with harvey milk
david yow
big b
melvins i got it free becuase one of the corners were bent on it.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: closedeyevisuals on November 22, 2006, 04:34:04 AM
Hopefully ill get the pictures done this week.As far as the video ill be viewing and editing it thanxsgiving day over at my parents house my mom has all the high tech shit.....ill put some of the picks up here like the set list and the gloves and the broken drum stick.Lord did you pick up the big b tour 2 ep..shits fucking awesome!!!



Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: lord of heaviness on November 22, 2006, 11:29:02 AM
I think I might have seen you. I was the guy in the black long sleeve shirt in a blue striped beanie and sideburns. I'm really gonna guess that the Mexican was the one getting drug out, because after the bass player kicked him off the stage, he kinda dissapeared and I noticed saint nick wasn't on stage anymore.
And the tour ep 2 is sweet! i'm listening to it non stop!
but yea,great show. You got quite the story, i'll say. You made out like a bandit.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: curtangel on November 22, 2006, 03:20:25 PM
Man, that show was awesome. This is the third time I've seen them.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: lord of heaviness on November 22, 2006, 03:31:14 PM
Hehe, yeah, the guy behind the amp was pretty interesting. We kept locking eyes, and it was sort of creeping me out.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on November 22, 2006, 03:33:48 PM
Thanks for the great review, curtangel.  Are you a fan of the wrestler?
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: MailOrderBride on November 22, 2006, 03:50:01 PM
what are doh and mech bride? i thought there was only one song i didn't recognize, which was towards the middle of the set. they played oven where "doh" is. is that what you meant?
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: MailOrderBride on November 22, 2006, 03:54:33 PM
moshing is appropriate in certain circumstances people. now flailing your arms around and hitting people is not...but come on guys don't go all emo on me. if you've never assisted in david yow crowdsurfing naked you haven't lived.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on November 22, 2006, 03:58:00 PM
Quote from: MailOrderBride on November 22, 2006, 03:50:01 PM
what are doh and mech bride? i thought there was only one song i didn't recognize, which was towards the middle of the set. they played oven where "doh" is. is that what you meant?
DOH is the Cream cover, Destiny of the Heart?  something of the Heart?  As heard on Houdini live version 2.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: MailOrderBride on November 22, 2006, 04:09:05 PM
Oh okay I must have misread it, I though it was DCH this whole time.
What do you mean version 2? On my copy it is the second half of Set me Straight. Which reminds me they played that at the show too.
So is Mech Bride off that single that came out not too long ago? I don't have a record player. Anyone wanna send me an MP3?
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on November 22, 2006, 04:14:17 PM
Quote from: MailOrderBride on November 22, 2006, 04:09:05 PM
Oh okay I must have misread it, I though it was DCH this whole time.
What do you mean version 2? On my copy it is the second half of Set me Straight. Which reminds me they played that at the show too.
So is Mech Bride off that single that came out not too long ago? I don't have a record player. Anyone wanna send me an MP3?
Version 2, I was just referring to the second Houdini that recently came out.
Mechanical Bride is off of (a) senile animal, the melvins latest release.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: MailOrderBride on November 22, 2006, 04:19:18 PM
Ok my bad--I was scrolling thru my Itunes list of songs and alphabetically it had The Mechanical Bride and I missed it. I thought it sounded familiar, name-wise, but over 25 Melvins CDs I get some of their newer stuff confused. Okay so PIGSKIN is the single I guess I was talking about that I don't have.
I went back and researched it. I really don't remember them playing Mech. Bride for some reason, though. This was my 5th time seeing them. The first time was like the first show of a 5 gig mini tour the day or two after Stag came out in Denver, before they took off for Europe. That was an awesome show. Then opening for Tool, then at Will Rogers then about 6 months later in Dallas at Trees when they were doing the double set. This was awesome. I don't know if it was the best show, the first one will always be really strong in my mind (also I was only 20 then) but honeslty this one was probably the best performance. Definitely the most intimate, like having them play your keg party or something.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: norecess on November 22, 2006, 04:28:26 PM
doh must have been the result of a misread, I think. DCH stands for Deserted Cities of the Heart, usually abbreviated as DCH on the setlist I've seen before.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: glen on November 22, 2006, 05:50:15 PM
Quote from: MailOrderBride on November 22, 2006, 04:09:05 PM
I though it was DCH this whole time.


you were right.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on November 22, 2006, 06:14:58 PM
Quote from: MailOrderBride on November 22, 2006, 04:19:18 PM
Ok my bad--I was scrolling thru my Itunes list of songs and alphabetically it had The Mechanical Bride and I missed it. I thought it sounded familiar, name-wise, but over 25 Melvins CDs I get some of their newer stuff confused. Okay so PIGSKIN is the single I guess I was talking about that I don't have.
I went back and researched it. I really don't remember them playing Mech. Bride for some reason, though. This was my 5th time seeing them. The first time was like the first show of a 5 gig mini tour the day or two after Stag came out in Denver, before they took off for Europe. That was an awesome show. Then opening for Tool, then at Will Rogers then about 6 months later in Dallas at Trees when they were doing the double set. This was awesome. I don't know if it was the best show, the first one will always be really strong in my mind (also I was only 20 then) but honeslty this one was probably the best performance. Definitely the most intimate, like having them play your keg party or something.
Here's both sides of the PIGSKIN SINGLE:
http://download.yousendit.com/C44FF20834EAC9C4
http://download.yousendit.com/30AACB805AEBEE49
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: MailOrderBride on November 22, 2006, 08:58:34 PM
frickin' awesome!
a senile animal has really reignited my interest in the melvins. well the concert did too, but i am even thinking about re purchasing prick. i lost about 600 cds in a house fire in 01, and the only melvins cd i have not re-purchased is prick. it took a while to get a hold of stag though. is that still out of print?
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on November 22, 2006, 09:15:02 PM
I think Europeeans can still get Stag, but I'm not sure.  OOPrint in the United states.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: closedeyevisuals on November 22, 2006, 10:16:47 PM
doh??? i have no clue it was written on the set list i got..on buzz's side of the stage.did any of you talk to the roadie from england? pretty cool dude!!! the owner of the conservatory and size recs said he was doing this to help out the band for awhile and he was a roadie for portishead..and one of the merch dudes went to school with kurt c.and buzz,he had some pretty cool stories..hey lord the mexican dude....he didnt get thrown out bc he was throwing his arms around the entire show i hope this kind of thing pushes the melvins back from the state of oklahoma..even though coady said they will be back for another round like i mentioned before..
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: lord of heaviness on November 22, 2006, 11:43:13 PM
I know what you mean, closedeye. I actually went up to one of the roadies afterwards and asked him if it usually got this chaotic, because I really want them to come back. He said there's always some drunken assholes in the crowd like it was no big thing, so hopefully they didn't get too bad of an impression from the crowd.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: lord of heaviness on November 22, 2006, 11:44:54 PM
And btw, which one was from England?
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: Guts on November 22, 2006, 11:54:10 PM
The setlist last night was taped down right in front of me and it said DOH. They played Set Me Straight with DCH in the middle of it. Maybe they changed the spelling to honor one of their favorite cartoon characters.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: curtangel on November 22, 2006, 11:58:03 PM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on November 22, 2006, 03:33:48 PM
Thanks for the great review, curtangel.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: norecess on November 23, 2006, 03:09:40 AM
Quote from: curtangel on November 22, 2006, 11:58:03 PM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on November 22, 2006, 03:33:48 PM
Thanks for the great review, curtangel.  Are you a fan of the wrestler?

Thanks, I was worried I went on too much about the events at the show and not enough about the music.

Impossible! Besides, wel already know the music and we know it's good! I personally am only reading the reviews for some juicy stories.

And welcome.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: MailOrderBride on November 23, 2006, 10:12:05 AM
Quote from: lord of heaviness on November 22, 2006, 11:44:54 PM
And btw, which one was from England?

presumably the shorter guy with the crew cut, the one wearing a shirt that said "fuck me, i'm british."
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: lord of heaviness on November 23, 2006, 10:00:22 PM
That would make sense. All I could make out was the "fuck me" part.
He was the guy I talked too. Pretty cool dude. Somehow, throughout all of the ringing in my ears I couldn't really make out an accent, but I had a feeling he wasn't from the states.
Title: Re: 11-20-06 oklahoma city ok
Post by: MailOrderBride on November 29, 2006, 11:44:11 AM

does anybody know how many were at this show? i am guessing between 125-150. anyone know for sure.