themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Discussion => Topic started by: Michael Jordan on April 20, 2007, 02:35:52 AM

Title: New Melvins interview
Post by: Michael Jordan on April 20, 2007, 02:35:52 AM
ok, there is a catch - it's in hebrew...      so for those of u who can read hebrew enjoy and as for the rest - don't worry, I'll translate the interview tomorrow!

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3389712,00.html
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: OfficerButtcrack on April 20, 2007, 05:13:58 PM
Great read, thanks
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: CaptainPungent on April 20, 2007, 06:20:44 PM
everything i've ever wanted.
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: Mad Arab on April 20, 2007, 06:40:08 PM
That was the best Melvins interview hands down. I can't believe Buzz said that about Kevin Rutmanis.
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: Michael Jordan on April 21, 2007, 02:55:14 AM
ok, here we go with the translation:

Buzz Osbourne is very excited about coming to Israel, and if you know the Melvins it's likely that you are excited too.

It's not easy to interview Buzz Osbourne. "King Buzzo", the crazy musician with the even crazier haircut will arrive in Israel next friday and judging by our conversation it seems like this is the most exciting thing he has experienced in years.

One can chat to Buzz non-stop for days about the history of Rock'n'Roll. For the past 20 years, The Melvins have been there to witness and experience everything. They have influenced many successful bands, left their crazy musical mark on today's rock music and have been nearly everywhere around the globe. But they still haven't played in Israel, and their leader is not interested in re-living memories, he wants to speak about the new thing in his life - coming to Israel.

During our conversation Osbourne doesn't stop talking about Israel. He'd start a sentence and then change the topic to the middle east. He repeats what he just said about Israel a couple of sentences back and asks a sea of questions. "I was talking to someone in Israel recently and he asked me if I'm not afraid to go there. Do you think I need to be afraid?  I don't think so".


Q: What do you know about Israel?

" I know it's in the middle east", he laughs, "I am really excited to go there. It will be our first time. We never thought we would do it,  but we also never thought we wouldn't play in Israel. I will always plan anything that is realistic. When we were offered to play (in Tel Aviv) we inspected the offer and found out there are no problems. I am very excited because I know Israel is very friendly towards the U.S.A.  I know we've had fans in Israel for a long time, it's not like we're going to play in Antartica..."

Q: So what do you plan to do?

We arrive in Israel on the day of the show and have a free day the next day. I would like to absorb as much as I can from the local culture. One of things I enjoy the most is talking to people, learn how they live their life and try to understand what goes through their head. you know, for example how it was growing up in Israel. I don't know much about Israel and as someone who comes from L.A. I know it will be very different for me. It is really interesting to learn about the people's attitudes in Israel and the way they look at life. I can't imagine what the city looks like, I'm really interested in knowing how everything works there. I want to open my eyes and look at everything.
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: Michael Jordan on April 21, 2007, 03:31:52 AM
Q: You are very curious. were you always curious (about israel) or is that a new thing?

Always. I've been to Europe a million times and have been talking about the same things many times. But Israel is a place I have never been to and it's new for me. I would have probably done the same had we played in South Africa, we've never been there too". I was very interested and curious when we've been to Brazil and Japan.

Q: Do you intend to visit the Palestinian areas?

hummm...  probably not. Should I?

It is up to you

All I can say is that I will do anything that is realistic and is good to do. I will just put my trust in the local people. Do you think people will come to our show?

I'm sure there will be a lot of people.

Amazing. the funny thing is that during the years we have spoken to many Israelis, we met Israeli fans around the world (hehe, one of them is me, MJ) and it was amazing to discover we have fans over there. The best times are always after shows. That's when you can talk to the fans, the kids, the grown ups or just the people who work there. It's great.

We are like one big family

Almost every fan of alternative music knows the Melvins. However, if this is the first time you come across this name, you might want to know that it is one of the most important bands in the past 2 decades. The band was formed in the early 80's and ever since it continues to create original music that combines Rock, Punk, Metal and a great sense of houmor. Osbourne and his band mate, drummer  Dale Crover, have been releasing albums almost annualy. The problem is that the rest of the band members find it hard to keep up. During the years the Melvinsd have changed bass players more often than changing socks and Crover and Osbourne found themselves working with new musicians. In addition, they have a part of tens of collaborations with various musicians, such as Mike Patton, with whom Osbourne is playing in thr Fantomas.

Q: you must have heard that your friend Patton is coming to Israel shortly after you

Really? I didn't know. Is he coming with Peeping Tom?

Q: No, with Fennesz.

Is he playing at the same venue as us?

Q: Yes. Are you guys good friends outside the band?

Yes, sure. But he lives in SF and I live in LA so we don't see each other often.


It is a shame it's not possible to combine the 2 shows. No doubt people around the world will pay a fortune to see Patton and The Melvins collaborate. But to the Barbie club in Tel Aviv the band will come without its record label manager, but with 2 other bands who share the stage with them. Prior to the Melvins Porn and Big Business will take the stage in a long night of musical chairs. Try to follow: The drummer and bass player from BB now also play with Melvins. Crover also plays with Porn. Besides, Tim Moss from Porn is the tour manager for the bands. Confused? Osbourne doesn't mind that the musicians move between the bands. "we are like one big happy family", he says, "every band is connected to the others. we have played over 100 shows now so everything is working amooth between us. It's starting to feel really comfortable".
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: Michael Jordan on April 21, 2007, 03:32:47 AM
last part coming tomorrow, gotta go to work now...
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 21, 2007, 05:00:58 AM
Thanks Mike Jordan!
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: mopafeena on April 21, 2007, 05:32:35 AM
Thanks.
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: GrimReaper on April 21, 2007, 06:38:18 AM

Thanks for the timely translation MJ. Can't wait for tomorrow. Wait this is tomorrow.

Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: Mad Arab on April 21, 2007, 09:40:40 AM
Thank you Michael Jordon for the interview translation and for your snazzy shoes.
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 21, 2007, 11:59:18 AM
Quote from: Joe Deutrom on April 21, 2007, 09:40:40 AM
Thank you Michael Jordon for the interview translation and for your snazzy shoes.
Don't forget the snazzy underwear he sells.
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: CaptainPungent on April 21, 2007, 01:40:10 PM
mj, thanks a ton for the translation&interview
i didn't know you were from israel
man...fans in israel, that's insane to me.

hey, we're like brothers now, you're name is mj and mj is from my hometown, what a small world!
oh yeah, i always side with the israeli jews on the land turf thing, i know, no need to thank my understanding.
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: anaconda on April 21, 2007, 02:47:05 PM
don't even go there cap, politics is bad. there are some amazing arabs
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: CaptainPungent on April 21, 2007, 05:49:56 PM
Quote from: anaconda on April 21, 2007, 02:47:05 PM
don't even go there cap, politics is bad. there are some amazing arabs
haha, hell if i know
politics aren't bad if you don't know what the hell you're talking about like myself.
america is based off of more jewish ethics more than islamic., so i will blindly follow them in some directions.
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: (the) Razor on April 21, 2007, 08:38:18 PM
Quote from: Dudbean on April 21, 2007, 08:25:29 PM
Thanks for the translation, MJ.

+ Karma.
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: Schnabster on April 22, 2007, 05:28:51 AM
Superb for you, MJ, that a dream comes through in seeing The Melvins live in Israel. Wifey has an aunt living in Jerusalem, we`ve talked about travelling to Israel to perhaps say hi, so I will definately contact you for information when the day comes. Good concert, MJ!
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: CaptainPungent on April 22, 2007, 11:56:05 AM
Quote from: Schnabster on April 22, 2007, 05:28:51 AM
Superb for you, MJ, that a dream comes through in seeing The Melvins live in Israel. Wifey has an aunt living in Jerusalem, we`ve talked about travelling to Israel to perhaps say hi, so I will definately contact you for information when the day comes. Good concert, MJ!
you're so worldly!
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 22, 2007, 01:07:41 PM
Quote from: anaconda on April 21, 2007, 02:47:05 PM
don't even go there cap, politics is bad. there are some amazing arabs
Have you heard the song Ahab the Arab?
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: Schnabster on April 22, 2007, 05:44:55 PM
Quote from: CaptainPungent on April 22, 2007, 11:56:05 AM
Quote from: Schnabster on April 22, 2007, 05:28:51 AM
Superb for you, MJ, that a dream comes through in seeing The Melvins live in Israel. Wifey has an aunt living in Jerusalem, we`ve talked about travelling to Israel to perhaps say hi, so I will definately contact you for information when the day comes. Good concert, MJ!
you're so worldly!

Behave, Captain, or I`ll run you over with my camping-wagon!  :shock:
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: Michael Jordan on April 23, 2007, 04:10:47 AM
Quote from: Schnabster on April 22, 2007, 05:28:51 AM
Superb for you, MJ, that a dream comes through in seeing The Melvins live in Israel. Wifey has an aunt living in Jerusalem, we`ve talked about travelling to Israel to perhaps say hi, so I will definately contact you for information when the day comes. Good concert, MJ!

Thanks Schnabster but unfortunately I will not attend the concert. I've been living in Melbourne, Australia for the past 5 years and will only go to Israel next in June. I still can't believe the melvins are playing in Israel and I'm missing it but at least a lot of Israeli fans will have a chance to see them for the first time.

Regarding ur plans to go to Israel, I think u really should.  It is a really beautiful country with great weather, great food and (mostly) good people. Jerusalem is a very special place (even if ur not religious - I'm an atheist), just crazy vibes u get from walking on thousands of years of history. Tel Aviv is a 24 hour party city. I live in Haifa which is about an hour north of Tel Aviv on the coast. Beautiful city but a bit boring...   and the most important thing - DON'T BELIEVE WHAT U SEE ON THE NEWS!!!  95% of it is complete bullshit.
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: Michael Jordan on April 23, 2007, 04:45:33 AM
and now finally to the last part of the interview:


Q: Over the time, why did so many musicians left the band?

The truth is that it always came to personal issues which we couldn't ignore. Since we experienced these personal difficulties I decided it would be impossible to make music with them (bass players). I really loved playing with everyone at a certain point, but every time it got to a situation where I could handle them anymore. It all comes down to their behaviour. 

Q: I recently read something you wrote on your label's website, and you wrote: "The band has been through a lot in the past year - War, drugs, rejection...  but it never stopped looking at what's really important". So what's really important?

We never forgot what lies in our boundaries. You know, when you write a band biography you sometimes try to sound articulate and find words that sound important even if they're not, so there might be a bit of that in that sentence.

Q: So what you've been through recently is irrelevant?

I don't know, I guess it is. And even if it isn't, we can pretend it is. "what can we expect from Tel Aviv"? he changes the topic back to the things he was talking about not too long ago.


Our stuff is too weird

So maybe Osbourne prefers to talk about Israel, but one topic that cannot be ignored is the great influence that the Melvins had on the "Seattle generation" and other rock bands. The Melvins too hail from Washington and during the late 80's had Kurt Cobain as one of their biggest fans. Cobain became friends with The Melvins and it was actually Osbourne who introduced bassist Cheris Novoselic to drummer Dave Grohl, who today still plays with the band he started after Cobain's death - Foo Fighters. From that point onwards Nirvana has paved its way to worldwide success along with other Seattle bands, some of which were connected to the Melvins.

"I understand why I'm being asked about it" says Osbourne. "Nirvana was a very popular band and Kurt died a tragic death. I understand the situation but it doesn't make me feel anything special, it doesn't changes anything / doesn't matter to me.

Q: A lot of people crownd you as the founding fathers of the sound that came from Seattle, the ones who developed a new style and brought something new to the world of rock.

I guess it's true but there is nothing I can do about it.

Q: During the years a lot of bands who were with you in the underground scene have penetrated into the mainstream and experienced great success. Didn't you guys want to do the transition into the heart of popular music?

"I don't know if we've ever had the chance to do that. Our material is pretty weird, especially to people who listens to popular music. I don't think any of these bands or their fans will ever be into that kind of material. Sound wise, we will always be crazier than any of these bands" he summarises, "maybe they liked us, but they didn't sound like us".



that;s it folks...   no proofread so I appologise for any mistakes.   enjoy
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: mopafeena on April 23, 2007, 05:53:59 AM
Thanks man.
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 23, 2007, 10:57:47 AM
THANKS!
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: ManWithNoName on April 23, 2007, 11:12:45 AM
good read

thanks dude
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: norecess on April 23, 2007, 03:13:35 PM
Very cool, MJ. Thanks.
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: OfficerButtcrack on April 24, 2007, 09:17:07 AM
I wish people would stop asking him about grunge. I think at this point we know all about that. And he seems eager to talk about anything else.
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: sebo on April 25, 2007, 07:05:22 AM
That's cool. Thanks man.
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: meanclown on April 25, 2007, 09:16:20 AM
bravo, MJ..thanks..
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: glen on April 25, 2007, 09:19:06 AM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 22, 2007, 01:07:41 PM
Have you heard the song Ahab the Arab?

sheik of the burning sand?   :D
Title: Re: New Melvins interview
Post by: Michael Jordan on April 27, 2007, 01:09:38 AM
Quote from: norecess on April 23, 2007, 03:13:35 PM
Very cool, MJ. Thanks.

Pleasure.

Just posted another Melvins interview from a different website. Also check out the "a month of melvins on Israeli radio" thread to d/l some cool Melvins related radio specials, one of them including an interview with Dale