Man if they continue in that stuuuupid direction like the Halo of Flies split I think I'm gonna get excited about a new Melvins record again.
Sounds so fresh to my ears. Like that last split track... Useful Idiot..... I didnt expected to hear them play Gang of Four-ish tune...
Not that I don't like Senile. I love it to bits. But it seems like they're just getting to know each other with the Business guys.
Its like ...."RIght.... so lets just put out this easy listening rock record.......and then we can concentrate on something more insteresting... and experiment... maybe."
Seeing them play Senile songs live didnt felt like I was at a Melvins concert...
Whatever. Its just how I feel about it.
I don't know if the new songs (suicide in progress, billyfish) are going to be on the next album but I like them alot. Some great tunes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE-V_S7sHr4
Wow, cool. Billy Fish is great.
Live sampler (Billy Fish, Hold Your Hand, Your Blessened):
http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=8669.0 (http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=8669.0)
wishful thinking: the next release will be a noise-fest. somewhere between COD, POTRE & (A)SA.
reality: the next release will be very similar to (A)SA.
reasoning: Buzz is incorporating the media and tools with which he has to work when writing the songs. Jared and Coady bring layered vocals, drums, RAWKING to the table. therefore, Buzz is going to write more RAWKING, layered vocals and drummy songs. just like he wrote songs with alot of slide bass (ie the fool) when kevin was in the mix. as strange as it sounds, he's a man of logic. he's not going to go against the grain just to prove a point. he's going to take the thinking man's route.
I'd have to agree with Glen and his infiinite wisdom. And yet, what if they did something with even more collaborators, perhaps adding a keyboard player or additional vocalists? Perhaps they'll weave electronics and beats into the songs (I hear thats all the rage right now). :-k
In all seriousness and as much as I enjoy (a)SA, I hope they don't put out another one like it for awhile. Let's cross our fingers and hope that the sweet Melvs continue to push the envelope, musically speaking.
Quote from: glen on November 12, 2007, 09:49:20 AM
reasoning: Buzz is incorporating the media and tools with which he has to work when writing the songs. Jared and Coady bring layered vocals, drums, RAWKING to the table. therefore, Buzz is going to write more RAWKING, layered vocals and drummy songs. just like he wrote songs with alot of slide bass (ie the fool) when kevin was in the mix. as strange as it sounds, he's a man of logic. he's not going to go against the grain just to prove a point. he's going to take the thinking man's route.
Some time ago I was thinking about this and came to the conclusion in a way, the Melvins have always sounded like their bass players. What do you think?
I personally hope they put out a record with minimal guitar. But instead more focus is put into the drums and really low-end bass (ala Lorax style) with guitar thrown in for effects or the occasional meaty riff here and there. Something slow and heavy as fuck anyway...Either that or an all acoustic album with horns and keyboards.
Quote from: norecess on November 13, 2007, 01:28:07 AM
Quote from: glen on November 12, 2007, 09:49:20 AM
reasoning: Buzz is incorporating the media and tools with which he has to work when writing the songs. Jared and Coady bring layered vocals, drums, RAWKING to the table. therefore, Buzz is going to write more RAWKING, layered vocals and drummy songs. just like he wrote songs with alot of slide bass (ie the fool) when kevin was in the mix. as strange as it sounds, he's a man of logic. he's not going to go against the grain just to prove a point. he's going to take the thinking man's route.
Some time ago I was thinking about this and came to the conclusion in a way, the Melvins have always sounded like their bass players. What do you think?
Yes.
Quote from: bathroom creep on November 11, 2007, 03:28:21 PM
Wow, cool. Billy Fish is great.
thank you. Im sure youre an okay guy yourself.
according to Dan Raymond Suicide In Progress WILL be on the next MELVINS release.
personally I like it. its farther down the evolutionary chain than anything on (A)SA.
the schedule by my educated reasoning:
nothing from the MELVINS till after the holidays. then, first of the year they record a new album for spring release.
meanwhile heres to hoping the remix album gets snuck in there somewhere.
And at least one European performance in January, at the Rotterdam Film Festival. If there will be any other dates, it will be probably be limited to a few shows, just like the last Cameron Jamie tour in 2004 (London, Paris, Vienna, Middelburg).
Quote from: Billy Fish on November 13, 2007, 04:43:26 AM
Quote from: bathroom creep on November 11, 2007, 03:28:21 PM
Wow, cool. Billy Fish is great.
thank you. Im sure youre an okay guy yourself.
(http://www.rafe.me.uk/images/emoticons/kiss_smile.gif)
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on November 13, 2007, 10:22:57 AM
Quote from: Billy Fish on November 13, 2007, 04:43:26 AM
Quote from: bathroom creep on November 11, 2007, 03:28:21 PM
Wow, cool. Billy Fish is great.
thank you. Im sure youre an okay guy yourself.
(http://www.rafe.me.uk/images/emoticons/kiss_smile.gif)
:P
Somehow I saw it coming. Yeah
Billy Fish, you seem quite cool (too).
About the next Melvins cd:
Suicide in Progress on the album would be great, can't wait to hear it.
I don't think either that they will release anything until next spring. Would be great though. But I guess we'll have to wait.
It'd be nice to have a Gluttony and Lust II (that is, live Lynog) to tide us over until a proper new album. Maybe that would be too predictable a move for Buzzo--man of inexorable but mysterious logic. Anyone know if those shows were professionally recorded?
The only thing we can count on for sure is that the artwork will be done by none other than Mackie. Sux :(
They should let someone else pinch hit.
Some time ago I was thinking about this and came to the conclusion in a way, the Melvins have always sounded like their bass players. What do you think?
[/quote]
I wholeheartedly agree.
Quote from: the bloat on November 13, 2007, 11:42:19 PM
The only thing we can count on for sure is that the artwork will be done by none other than Mackie. Sux :(
They should let someone else pinch hit.
Do you think it sucks that mackie is the only one working on the artworks? like there should be another artist joining in?
Or do you mean Mackie shouldn't do the artwork at all?! :shock:
Mackie IS melvins artwork. its the way it should be.
Quote from: glen on November 14, 2007, 10:59:30 AM
Mackie IS melvins artwork. its the way it should be.
Exactly. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
why wouldn't Buzz want his wife to make the money for the covers,
he said he works very closely with her to get his ideas across visually -
i don't see this changing ever.
melvins artwork is always a treat.
How can someone not like the HAT artwork? It's fucking amazing.
Quote from: rictus on November 14, 2007, 11:17:47 AM
Quote from: glen on November 14, 2007, 10:59:30 AM
Mackie IS melvins artwork. its the way it should be.
Exactly. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
but
everything is
always broken. fix
everything all the time/italic orgy
Agoraphobic Nosebleed lists Florian Bertmer as the artist right along with the guitar, bass, etc... a great idea, which sort of seems like how Mackie relates (professionally) to the Melvins.
Why should their artwork be any different than their music? Would you guys be stoked if they kept putting out albums that sounded like Bullhead? My guess is probably not. You like each album to be DIFFERENT, no?
I'm just saying, change it up. Let another artist create the artwork for their next album. I get tired of Mackie's "clipart combined with words from the lyrics in cursive fonts in the background" approach. Totally one-dimensional.
QuoteHow can someone not like the HAT artwork? It's fucking amazing.
P.S. I love the HAT artwork! Are you kidding me? :love: That's not really the point I'm trying to make.
Album covers like Bullhead and Lysol are great. Mackie didn't have much at all to do with those
and Lysol is a reproduction of a reproduction of a mass produced period painting.
hopefully they will make a bad ass mix tape like all the gangta rappas do.. :-s what the hell is a mixtape anyways?? i just landed on BET and saw some guy talkin about the "PHAT" mix tape he just came out wit. word to your mutha 8)
So if they do indeed go on a massive Australian tour .... when will they squeeze in studio time for the next album ?
Buzz didnt meet Mackie until around 1994, so...
Quote from: Billy Fish on November 15, 2007, 04:19:28 AM
Buzz didnt meet Mackie until around 1994, so...
by my figgers they were already married in 94. a very brief courtship perhaps?
"I realized very quickly that women who are willing to put up with my bullshit, don't exactly grown on trees." That's a quote.
anyway...
for a new album...
I vented this opinion before:
the melvins can of course do whatever they want to do, THAT'S WHAT THE MELVINS ARE.
that said... the collabs (with Biafra and Big Business and Lustmord) don't really do it for me... so I hope a new album is just the Melvins/Dale&Buzz and a basplayer again. whatever comes out is cool...
Pit you idiot (sorry, I don't mean it like that, honest), how many times have you listened to Pigs of the Roman Empire? Clearly not enough. If there's any post-Boner era Melvins album you should adore, except for The MAGGOT (which was recorded almost ten fucking years ago already), it's POTRE. (For the record, I consider POTRE a collaboration album indeed, but not the Jello stuff. That's just a different thing.)
Apart from that, I fully agree. The shows with BB in England, especially London, were a goddamn treat, but as I've said before, I wouldn't mind them getting rid of Big Business and do something different again. Can't help but looking more forward to the new Big Business album than a new Melvins album. But then again, I say stupid things all the time.
Quote from: norecess on November 15, 2007, 08:30:26 AM
Apart from that, I fully agree. The shows with BB in England, especially London, were a goddamn treat, but as I've said before, I wouldn't mind them getting rid of Big Business and do something different again.
I wanna hear more Melvins albums with Coady and Jared just to see what else they're up to. I REALLY like the double drumming and Jareds background singing kinda fits. I think it would be sad if Dale and Buzz kicked them out just like that after one album.
I"m glad I don't have a driver's liscence, I don't have to worry about where this monster is heading. I"m just tagging along for the ride.
Yeah, POTRE is like top 5 Melvins, man. Top 5.
Hey, remember how the Bootlicker and HAT stuff sounds almost totally different live? Or how you'd have no idea what Stag sounds like based on listening to bootlegs of the Bit and the Bloat?
I was going somewhere with this post post post post post post post post post post po
who cares, you small type reading print bastards.
get a grip, an album will come out.
someone will do the graphics, someone will make the music and none of you people will be responsible one bit.
just contiue buying albums and go to concerts and go to concerts and everything will be great.
please continue and live in your cyberworld, none of if
Apart from that, I fully agree. The shows with BB in England, especially London, were a goddamn treat, but as I've said before, I wouldn't mind them getting rid of Big Business and do something different again. Can't help but looking more forward to the new Big Business album than a new Melvins album. But then again, I say stupid things all the time.
man i love the melvins with The BIz....I know the marriage wont last, but i wish it would.. To wath dale and coady play together is awe inspiring... Maybe Hotsuace could do a song with em... :P They should at least come out with one more album, its destined to be way better the more they all play together.
i never question buzz and dale's choices. i cried when i heard ASA, its a masterpiece
ps. "some of you are probably something and will do relevant stuff. good luck."
thanks for saying that gard
Quote from: anaconda on November 15, 2007, 07:51:35 PM
i never question buzz and dale's choices. i cried when i heard ASA, its a masterpiece
ps. "some of you are probably something and will do relevant stuff. good luck."
thanks for saying that gard
I cried when Old Yeller died.
I didn't want to mention the ecstasy taking part, but as a trigger for over emotional behaviour
it is the finest! An individual did ingest a small quantity just prior to listening onto and enjoying
the catharthic experience of the harmony vocals and drum extravaganza that is Melvins mach 10
on ASA
burnt bride gets my vote for next bassist.
Quote from: FART LIPS on November 16, 2007, 12:46:23 AM
burnt bride gets my vote for next bassist.
i want to see double bass action with burnt bride and dytm and double drum action with dale and coady.
If you can't have an opinion on the Melvins right here, of all places, something's gone wrong alright.
Of course I know how to make everyone happy.
The Melvins make an album with a sloppy, dirty, brutal bass player (not Dunn, alltough I like Bungle). Big Business play with them on the super extra bonus hidden song. (Hidden songs are gay)
Big Business warm up
The melvins play a a few songs with Big Business - a short set
The melvins play with the sloppy, dirty, brutal, bass player they met outside pottery barn.
The melvins fanboy is happy.
I"d love to see dunn in the band although he's probably too busy for that.
kicking dirt on jared already, for shame!
Quote from: Billy Fish on November 15, 2007, 07:06:59 PM
who cares, you small type reading print bastards.
get a grip, an album will come out.
someone will do the graphics, someone will make the music and none of you people will be responsible one bit.
just contiue buying albums and go to concerts and go to concerts and everything will be great.
please continue and live in your cyberworld, none of if
Quote from: glen on November 16, 2007, 08:33:12 AM
kicking dirt on jared already, for shame!
I"m just saying if it ever happened that the melvins and big business split up, I'd love to see dunn with the melvins.
Quote from: ManWithNoName on November 14, 2007, 12:02:05 PM
melvins artwork is always a treat.
How can someone not like the HAT artwork? It's fucking amazing.
of course, the guy w/ L.H.O.O.Q. as a signature would say this...
i whole heartedly agree. impeccable taste sir.
Quote from: norecess on November 15, 2007, 08:30:26 AMThe MAGGOT (which was recorded almost ten fucking years ago already)
this seems to be a universal sentiment for people around our age. everyone i know is amazed that '97 is ten years ago...does this happen every decade? i don't think so. there's something about the post-millennium years being culturally lacking that makes the time passing seem very strange.
maybe it is that every decade had its good music era and i feel like the 2000s mostly saw terrible music.
i guess what i mean is the mainstream...in the 50s 60s 70s 80s and 90s there were bands that got REALLY famous that were actually good. i can't think of a single example of this in the past 8 years.
ok, sorry to go so far off-topic.
2000's is full of horrible music because it was not long ago. Every decade is the same I guess, good music but mostly bad, it's just you only look back with rose tinted glasses and forget the bad stuff.
I look at all my CD's from '90 or '91 and that's even scarier how long ago that was.