The first new Melvins album you purchased

Started by ))))((((, June 15, 2018, 04:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meezer

Prick in 94 in anticipation of their opening slots for L7.
Bought Stoner Witch after seeing them live and hearing a few songs on the radio and realizing that yes, they actually do make real music.
Stag was the first one I bought new when it came out.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

John Schuller

Quote from: Dumpster D on June 16, 2018, 12:36:44 AM
Quote from: sadcorps on June 15, 2018, 11:12:29 PM
Gluey Porch Treatments

Although technically, I bought Deep Six before that.

Must have been a cool record shop.

I lived in a little town called "Gig Harbor" (right next to Tacoma, Washington). We had a record store there called "Sounds Great" which sold tons of great punk rock records. Between that place and Tower Records in Tacoma - I was covered.

rimb

Pretty sure it was The Crybaby which is an unusual place to start, but it did the trick!

Captain CoryCory

(a) Senile Animal in 2006. Second or third Melvins album I ever bought but the first close to release.

If we're talking literal day of release then I'd say either Freak Puke or Tres Cabrones.

Garnz

My first Melvins album was Houdini which I bought new on vinyl when it came out after listening to Lizzy (at that time I already changed back from CD to vinyl as a preferred media). After that I worked myself through the back catalog...

johnnyg

Mine was actually the live 'Pick Your Battles' CD in 2009. I bought it at the Rasputin Records in Mountain View CA, planning to flip it, but liked it so much (especially kicking machine) that I kept it and became a Melvins maniac ever since. The funny thing is that about a year earlier, I bought 'Houdini' and did not like it. Now, 'Houdini' is still not my favorite, but I love the album.

Nizamark

pretty sure it was prick at one of the kim's in nyc. the one on bleecker maybe

(PAUL)

I bought Stoner Witch through BMG (remember mail order CD clubs?) on a friends suggestion but it was out for probably a year at that point. I really dug it but was somewhat wary, never quite being able to pull the trigger on buying Stag. Then I finally decided to take a chance and there was another new album in the bin called Honky. I was somewhat confused and slightly torn, do I buy Stag or Honky? Finally I was like screw it and bought both. Boy am I glad I did as I love those albums. Now I don't know if that was exactly on release day but I def. bought The Maggot the day it came out and it's been that way pretty much ever since.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

Garnz

Quote from: Nizamark on June 18, 2018, 01:03:35 PM
pretty sure it was prick at one of the kim's in nyc. the one on bleecker maybe

IMO Prick ain't a bad album but it is a weird choice for the first album and stay hooked. Glad you made it :-)

Nizamark

haha. indeed.
tho now that i think of it i might've bought the 'with yo' heart' 7 inch before that.

Peebot

OZMA in late '89. Changed my life forever, never looked back.

Pringles

Since 1993, I was really into Nirvana and that kind of stuff. Then around the winter 2002, I was reading Come as you are, the biography of Nirvana, and in that book they were always talking about how Kurt Cobain and Kris Novosilic liked Black Flag and the Melvins and how the drummer of the Melvins was the drummer on Bleach, a Nirvana album I really liked at the time.

So I was curious, I went to the record store and asked the clerk if he had Melvins and Black Flag album. I came out of there with Black Flag - Damaged and Melvins Ozma cd, which come with Gluey Porch Treatment, but I did not know that.

So anyway, I came at home, unwrap Black Flag album, put in the my radio, Holy shit, this is sooooo goood. I was instantly hooked. Then I gave a try to Melvins Ozma. Like 5 minutes, the song Vile.

BORING.

Skip to Oven with its weird tempo. What the Fu was that. How Nirvana liked that band? Skip to Creepy Smell. The weird intro. This suck. I wasted 20$. I want my money back.

I put Ozma on the shelve and from there I was only listening to Black Flag on repeat.

Then, a month later, I was going to sleep, so I wanted some background music while I was  sleeping and I remembered Vile from Ozma was really slow and kind of quiet, so I put the CD and hit Shuffle.

It landed on track 18 - Eye Flys....

...the next 4 minutes changed my life. At least musically.  It hit me like a freight train.

I remember that night I just went through Ozma and Gluey porch treatment, the whole 30+ tracks, 2 time in a row. I remember a strange feeling of sitting inside a huge empty dark warehouse, flowing on these oppressive riffs and trying to decipher the lyrics, and I loved every second of it.

The following month, I was just catching up on every Melvins album there was. It was right around the release of Hostile Ambiant Takeover.  I think I never listened to a Nirvana album since.
Luck is a residue of design

(the) Razor

Quote from: (PAUL) on June 18, 2018, 04:21:46 PM
I bought Stoner Witch through BMG (remember mail order CD clubs?) on a friends suggestion but it was out for probably a year at that point. I really dug it but was somewhat wary, never quite being able to pull the trigger on buying Stag. Then I finally decided to take a chance and there was another new album in the bin called Honky. I was somewhat confused and slightly torn, do I buy Stag or Honky? Finally I was like screw it and bought both. Boy am I glad I did as I love those albums. Now I don't know if that was exactly on release day but I def. bought The Maggot the day it came out and it's been that way pretty much ever since.

I always thought Stag and Honky would've been a great double album.

They are so Light and dark. Good reading this thread.
Don't click this

DToxico

Nude With Boots right after it came out. The only one I owned before that was the Bootlicker, which I wasn't very fond of but understood wasn't their 'usual' sound and was interested in hearing more. I happened to go looking for Melvins records at my local FYE during the week NWB came out; that was the only one of their albums they had (they only ever carried the most recent one - so annoying how for a couple years they only had a bunch of marked-down copies of Chicken Switch) but it had me hooked.