Town Ballroom, Buffalo,NY

Started by Mount Ambulance, August 08, 2008, 02:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on August 08, 2008, 02:57:21 PM
That's a pretty sweet set list ... know if it varies much show to show?

Yes and no. They mix up the setlists every night, but not drastically. I think I missed out on alot of Joe's Garage material, that would have been the end of the set. That was my fourth time seeing them. DZ's sounding better than ever. Got there really early and caught them doing soundcheck while it was nice and sunny out. The Whigs were the opening band. They were alright, but I couldn't wait for them to be done.

One more thing about the venue in Buffalo, I'm glad it was there. Yeah, the crowd was small but not embarassing like under 100 people. I wouldn't want to see them in a bar like the Mohawk Place or Soundlab. There it would have been packed and uncomfortable. I saw Mudhoney and High On Fire at the Mohawk recently. Amazing shows, but a little too cramped in there. The Tralf might have worked too. That's where Boris & Torche just played.

FartLips

Judy is mad.🤣

bigjim

The Ballroom show was great. Its been since May 2000 since the last time I saw The Melvins.  They were great and the times before that I saw then, but last night it was just so incredibly tight.

Caught the soundcheck at Zappa, but left to go find a place to eat which seemed pretty fucking hard to do as most of downtown Buffalo seemed vacant.  I honestly have never been to a city or small town ever that had so many empty business spaces. 
I'm totally glad I made my way down there, and went to work today running on 4 hours sleep.  Might have to do it again next tour.

MisterBear

Quote from: glen on August 08, 2008, 01:28:23 PM
Quote from: MisterBear on August 08, 2008, 12:06:30 PM


If any of you remember grabbing the Detroit show last year, that was probably my recording, I will have them all up (Detroit, Buffalo, Rochester) on my blog sometime hopefully in near future.  No guarantees but I wanna get'em up soon otherwise it will be a while. 


are you ambulance's friend that I met?   
I got your recording of last year's detroit show.  top notch.
can't wait to hear this year's take.  remember me come dispursement day.

yeah that's me....was nice to meet you.  been so used to having all these virtual friends and never actually meeting any of them.  i'm gonna up the shows over at dime-a-dozen and post them on my blog for those who do not have an account.  almost identical spot for taping this time 'round.  the guitars came through a little better but that kick drum is a little punchy.  Still sounds good to my ears...there's something about that hot sweaty place that I really like even if it makes my whole body feel a giant grimy scrotum.

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: Dudbean on August 08, 2008, 06:38:50 PMThat's sounds like a cool show. Was Sharleena played like the Chunga's Revenge version or the long, killer solo version from The Lost Episodes? King Kong would've been great, too. Can't wait to see them again.

Sharleena was similar to Chunga's version. City Of Tiny Lights had the "Carlos Santana Secret Chord Progression". Imaginary Diseases started with a bang. Perfect guitar tones (on a hollow body Gibson 335?), crazy that Frank never played that on later tours. I recognized Thomas Nordegg(seen on Video From Hell), FZ's old guitar tech now working for ZPZ. He's a little grayer now. He's sort of the wizard of oz with all the vintage gear.
Peaches>Echidna's>G Spot were played as a complete medley. DZ called it the "trifecta" of instrumentals from different decades. Bamboozled was like the original version, but the solo was uptempo, as on the '84 version w/ the Owner Of A Lonely Heart vamp, then back to the standard tempo. The head of King Kong was like the original too, the solos were ripping. During Sheilas solo, it mutated into a few minutes of Fifty-Fifty with her playing Duke's clavinet solo on sax. :shock: Broken Hearts was awesome. Good wholesome fun seeing everybody sing along the "ram it" section with families and cops around.

Sorry to turn this Melvins review page into a Zappa review, but it was a dream come true seeing my two favorite musical entities in one night. :D

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: Dudbean on August 09, 2008, 06:04:00 PM
Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on August 09, 2008, 10:10:38 AM
Sorry to turn this Melvins review page into a Zappa review, but it was a dream come true seeing my two favorite musical entities in one night. :D

I can't see it happening in my neck of the woods, so don't mind me if I'm extremely jealous. Glad you enjoyed it!



Uncle Remus & Willie The Pimp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omzmksqQZxw

Bamboozled By Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-am-QwhDt8


blewis

this was my first melvins show and i was completely blown away.
i hope they live 50 more years to I'm able to see them at
least that many more time.
The one and only....

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: blewis on August 15, 2008, 01:06:30 PM
this was my first melvins show and i was completely blown away.
i hope they live 50 more years to I'm able to see them at
least that many more time.
Woah!  How did you first hear about the melvins?
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!


"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

___-----_____------_____

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on August 08, 2008, 02:54:20 PM
Quote from: Mount Ambulance on August 08, 2008, 11:53:50 AM
 how was the Zappa Plays Zappa ... I've missed that show twice now ... dammit!

Fucking awesome, except that the lightning made it end early a little after 9PM during the King Kong solos. DZ said they had to stop, and see if the lightning would go away. They didn't come back out. I knew it was over, so I hauled ass down Main St. to the Ballroom.

The setlist was:
Approximate>Imaginary Diseases
City of Tiny Lights
Sharleena
Uncle Remus
Willie the Pimp
Peaches En Regalia
Echidna's Arf
G-Spot Tornado
Flakes
Broken Hearts are for Assholes
Bamboozled by Love
King Kong

ha.  busy night.   I like how Dweezil varies his setlist from night to night within the staples.
It's amazing how he evolved as a musician.  One his first tour he was overly careful, now he's mastered the songs so well he appears to be playing effortlessly.  I really loved the show I saw back in July.
Beauty is a Rare Thing - Ornette Coleman


blewis

buttholeman, you're a douche.

I've known about the Melvins for a long long time...
just haven't been into them like I have been in recent years.

I wanted to see them in 06 when they came through
Buffalo, but was too broke.


so, fuck you buddy.
The one and only....

blewis

oh....
and Boris live at my first Melvins show
was about as cool as it can get.
The one and only....

I am the Sun

Quote from: blewis on August 21, 2008, 10:59:10 AM
buttholeman, you're a douche.

I've known about the Melvins for a long long time...
just haven't been into them like I have been in recent years.

I wanted to see them in 06 when they came through
Buffalo, but was too broke.


so, fuck you buddy.

Hey, calm down man. He was just asking you a simple question, why such an attitude?

Idlehanz

Quote from: blewis on August 21, 2008, 10:59:10 AM
buttholeman, you're a douche.

I've known about the Melvins for a long long time...
just haven't been into them like I have been in recent years.

I wanted to see them in 06 when they came through
Buffalo, but was too broke.


so, fuck you buddy.
:?

blewis

wasn't really an attitude, but a south park reference..

buttholeman I'm sure is a real swell guy.
The one and only....