July 26, 2008 Seattle, WA - Showbox at the Market

Started by grays harbor mafia, July 27, 2008, 02:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

grays harbor mafia

WOW, just got back from the show at the showbox and holy shot was it bad!!!! he best set i've seen in ALONG time!!!! saw idlehanz and a bunch of other freaks from MONTE, seriously BORIS??? that was a dream right??
"the ass is last"      oldfartlips
"im just here for the sex" DC

spunkmonkey

It wasn't a dream, 'cause I was there (but I didn't run into anyone from the board).  I'm chock full of things that might make me forget things in the morn, but this was definitely one of the more "rocking" Melvins shows I've seen in a while.  First up:  Moss comes out and plays 2-3 notes 10 or so minutes, tweaking his knobs (yeah I typed that!), enter Dale.  What proceeded was, for a lack of better words, two 10-15 minute  drum solos w/Moss providing the background notes/squelches/squeals. Thunderous if I had to pick a word.  Next up: Big Business.  I pretty much focused on Toshi the whole show because I've read that he wasn't quite up to speed yet.  I'd like to put that puppy to bed because he brought the goods.  Appropriate solos/noise at the appropriate times.  No demerits for him.  Finale: Melvins.  Like I typed, they brought the ROCK this time.  Not surprising since they played mostly NWB and ASA.  All in all, a great show.

PS.  No posters Glen.  per tradition, I'm still gonna hook you up.

PPS.  Rant/observation here.  I've lived in Seattle almost 5 years, and I have to say I'm almost always disappointed in the crowd.  For as great a "music" city, Seattle crowds are apathetic (I know that's harsh. but I said it).

PPPS.  Sorry if I disturbed your beauty rest Glen.

Idlehanz

Damn Spunk, wish I could have met ya. 

     The comic book is out!  5$!!

     I agree with Spunk about the crowd.  It was DEAD.  No moshing.  Not much anyway. 

     Hmmm....what else?  No posters!  That sucked.  Walsby's originals sold out quick.  I talked to John for a while, said you said hi Sweet, and then it was time to enjoy the show.  I filmed everything.  Moss and co played about 30 minutes.  Big Biz sounded great again, and Melvins crushed.  I know this isn't much, but I'm tired and need a beer.  We'll talk more tomorrow.

rhett E rock

man, it's almost 4 am and i'm just getting home.  TRASHED AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  it's been a strange night.  did not see the Melvins comic book.  got the making love demos saw the Reaper and Smellis.  Melvins crushed.  Boris kicked ass.  Buzz seemed really into it the whole time.  i didn't even pay attention to the crowd i was too busy being in awe.  i love the Melvins. 

grays harbor mafia

oh yeah, my girl  snagged me a drumstick from  dale....honestly, i wasn't really into Toshi playing with the BIZ, thats what  makes them bad ass is that its a 2 piece band... It was kind of weird, i kept just staring at toshi the whole show thinkin, whats that guy doin up their?
"the ass is last"      oldfartlips
"im just here for the sex" DC

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: Idlehanz on July 27, 2008, 04:47:39 AM
Damn Spunk, wish I could have met ya. 

     The comic book is out!  5$!!

     I agree with Spunk about the crowd.  It was DEAD.  No moshing.  Not much anyway. 

     Hmmm....what else?  No posters!  That sucked.  Walsby's originals sold out quick.  I talked to John for a while, said you said hi Sweet, and then it was time to enjoy the show.  I filmed everything.  Moss and co played about 30 minutes.  Big Biz sounded great again, and Melvins crushed.  I know this isn't much, but I'm tired and need a beer.  We'll talk more tomorrow.
the AsA comic book?
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!


"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

nothintothenotice

SHOW WAS SWEET.....SO DRUNK THOUGH....GOT 2 DRUMSTICKS....2 WALSBY POSTERS....A DRUM HEAD SIGNED BY DALE AND CODY....RIDDLE BOOK...TOUR EP III....SPENT WAY TOO MUCH.....WHERE THE FUCK WAS THE REAL POSTERS AT HUH?

Idlehanz

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on July 27, 2008, 01:02:57 PM
Quote from: Idlehanz on July 27, 2008, 04:47:39 AM
Damn Spunk, wish I could have met ya. 

     The comic book is out!  5$!!

     I agree with Spunk about the crowd.  It was DEAD.  No moshing.  Not much anyway. 

     Hmmm....what else?  No posters!  That sucked.  Walsby's originals sold out quick.  I talked to John for a while, said you said hi Sweet, and then it was time to enjoy the show.  I filmed everything.  Moss and co played about 30 minutes.  Big Biz sounded great again, and Melvins crushed.  I know this isn't much, but I'm tired and need a beer.  We'll talk more tomorrow.
the AsA comic book?
Yes

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: Idlehanz on July 27, 2008, 01:30:00 PM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on July 27, 2008, 01:02:57 PM
Quote from: Idlehanz on July 27, 2008, 04:47:39 AM
Damn Spunk, wish I could have met ya. 

     The comic book is out!  5$!!

     I agree with Spunk about the crowd.  It was DEAD.  No moshing.  Not much anyway. 

     Hmmm....what else?  No posters!  That sucked.  Walsby's originals sold out quick.  I talked to John for a while, said you said hi Sweet, and then it was time to enjoy the show.  I filmed everything.  Moss and co played about 30 minutes.  Big Biz sounded great again, and Melvins crushed.  I know this isn't much, but I'm tired and need a beer.  We'll talk more tomorrow.
the AsA comic book?
Yes
Sweet
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!


"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

rhett E rock

dammit!  why didn't i see the comic book?  too much tequila i guess.  really wanted the Eggnog shirt but they didn't have my size.

Quote from: grays harbor mafia on July 27, 2008, 12:36:50 PM
oh yeah, my girl  snagged me a drumstick from  dale....honestly, i wasn't really into Toshi playing with the BIZ, thats what  makes them bad ass is that its a 2 piece band... It was kind of weird, i kept just staring at toshi the whole show thinkin, whats that guy doin up their?

yeah, i definitely like them better as a two piece.  i thought they would sound better with Toshi, guess not.  and why didn't Dale get up and shred!?

z

the drums of the first "part" of the porn set sounded similar to zzzz best/safety third from potre..

anyone else notice this... ?


Quote from: spunkmonkey on July 27, 2008, 04:10:30 AM
First up:  Moss comes out and plays 2-3 notes 10 or so minutes, tweaking his knobs (yeah I typed that!), enter Dale.  What proceeded was, for a lack of better words, two 10-15 minute  drum solos w/Moss providing the background notes/squelches/squeals. Thunderous if I had to pick a word. 

Like Stee

What nobody seems to have mentioned so far is that Toshi was part of Porn as well.  He was hunched down by his pedalboard stage left with a little Kawasaki toy keyboard that was circuit bent with all kind of crazy stuff.  It had some kind of lite sensor in it that he kept shooting with a laser pointer to get it to freak out.  Porn was awesome.  During Big Biz Moss was standing off to the side and Billy Anderson walked up and start shooting the shit with him saying he was in town for something, but couldn't quite make out what he said.  And yes, I immediately noticed that Dale started off with the drums from ZZZZ Best/Safety Third.  That set was incredible.  Really cool to see Dale just flailing on the kit, beating the living shit out of it.  From where I was parked I had a perfect view of everything Toshi was doing as well as Dale, then a perfect view of Buzz and Dale during the Melvins set.

Met some of you guys for the first time, Smellis, Grim, Rhet, Dudbean, and someone else I didn't catch the name of.

Smellis said he asked Moss about the Porn/Merzbow record in San Fran and that it's done but waiting on the label to release it.

I totally disagree about Toshi in Big Biz.  First of all they haven't really been a two piece for years now.  Both records have tons of guitar, and they've had either Dale or Toshi playing with them live for a couple years now.  I haven't seen them as a two piece since they opened the original Jelvins New Years show at Neumo's years ago.   (The one w/ Adam Jones and DSS on bass).  Toshi absolutely rocks in Big Biz.  He even enhances the backup Vox now too.  That was evident on Hands Up.  They played a couple songs I didn't recognize.  Hope those will be on the new album.  Both songs rocked.

Melvins killed.  Now that I've seen Eye Flys live (and with the 2-drummer setup as a bonus) I can die content.  Makes me want to hear other stuff off that record though, like Echo Head/Piece Me and Leeech.  I heard some people booing during the Star Spangled Banner.  To them I say "boo."  Or maybe they were just saying Boo-erns.  My Generation was great with just Dale and Coady on vox.  Boris was a nice end to the show.  Especially since the next show I'll be at is Boris in two days.  All together the best show so far with this lineup.

Come back again soon Melvins.
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

glen

Quote from: spunkmonkey on July 27, 2008, 04:10:30 AM


PPPS.  Sorry if I disturbed your beauty rest Glen.

who??           wha??
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Idlehanz

That was Morningstar Rising.

GrimReaper


You back home Idle? Check your PM.

Saw Smellis in his usual spot at the Showbox and while we where talking met Like Stee and cool dude named Roger. Bad Ronald showed up with His woman, Saw Idle briefly and met a friend of his. Rhett E's got a new girlfriend. Dudbean stoped to say high.  Also saw a guy from work.

Good to see the Melvins.net family again!