Northampton, MA 8/10

Started by moose, August 11, 2008, 06:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

I'm guessing no one else on the board went to this show, so here goes. Got there later than usual. Crowd was already pretty full by the time Moss and Co. took the stage. They made some noise and repetitive riffing while Dale beat the crap out of his drums. It was a good way to warm up the show.
The Biz came on. Started with Hands Up as usual. They seemed a little off on this song, but they tightened up after that. Coady had a problem with something on his kit during one song. He had to stand up and lay off the kick while a roadie fixed the problem. Played a lot of Waterworks, and the new stuff. Oh Jared's shirt said "Fart Hard?". Coady had a cool   percussion unit that was electronically manipulated during one of the new songs.
Long break before Melvins. I had a good spot in the front by now. Came out and did Nude With Boots. Jared was wearing a Captain's outfit, complete with a pipe. Buzz didn't have his cowgirl mumu. Dog Island and Dies Irea were awesome. Crowd was excited for Civilised Worm, but they really lost their shit for Honey Bucket, which I guess is really easy to headbang to. I was so busy defending myself and my wife from moshers that I didn't really get to pay attention to it. The (A) SA stuff was great. I got the impression that they've gained a lot of new fans with that album, judging by the enthusiasm these songs garnered. During the Star Spangled Banner, someone jumped off the stage. It was in the middle of the last verse. The band stopped, and Dale got up and went for the guy. Dude had already jumped, though. Buzz called him out, and threatened ending the show, which was my greatest fear, because I was looking forward to Boris. They sang the Star Spngld Banner again. This time Jared sang in his "captain's voice", which was pretty fucking funny. They played Boris and it was fucking awesome. BUzz's vocals sound like they do on Alive at the Fucker club-really scary and brutal. The end of the song was great. Coady's whining wails are really weird though. Oh yeah My Generation was awesome. So all in all the show was pretty good. I don't know if people are hearing Roadbull at any one these shows, but they didn't play it. Oh yeah Eye Flys. Another highlight. Got three(!) of Coady's sticks after the show, and his smelly disgusting gloves, which are airing out right now. Thanks roadie! Oh yeah, no Northampton poster. I guess they didn't show up....bye!
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

the_consumer

Quote from: moose on August 11, 2008, 06:58:01 AM
I'm guessing no one else on the board went to this show, so here goes.

WRONG.

And I filmed it, too.

So uh, anyone want to give me $200 for my Melvins vs. Minneapolis disc????

GrimReaper

Thanks for the review Moose.

PM me Consumer if you want to trade your film.

Melvins are taking tonight off.

How many of the MLSP vs Melvins cd sets left?

That's a bummer about the poster. It just isn't the same ordering it for $25 bucks (plus postage) off of Gigposters after the show is over.

the_consumer

i got lots of Melvins DVDs to trade, most havent been circulated before.

i think they still had "plenty" left, i only saw one other person buy it and i was standing near the merch table for most of the show.

d3vil0ck

hey, i'm new to this board. last night was the first melvins show i've seen.  it was great and things started off nice because someone randomly gave me a free ticket. pearl street is a club where all of my friends bands used to play when we were kids so i had a lot of memories there, and it turned out all of my old friends were there too. melvins sounded awesome. you're right about honey bucket too, as soon as they went into that the place exploded. honestly, i didn't expect there to be that much action going on but i'm glad there was.

that guy that jumped off the stage was an asshole. he did it twice, and the first time he kicked a buddy of mine in the face. dale seemed really pissed the second time, and i too was worried they'd end the show after buzz called the guy out.

hearing the star spangled banner was fun, especially the second time when jared sang it all in a pirate type voice. boris killed and as stated before buzz sounded absolutely brutal. i was surprised to see so many people knew the new material, too. that was pretty cool.

here's some crappy cell phone pics: http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/d3vil0ck/Melvins%208-10-08/

ps: to the consumer,  if you did film the show, i'd love to get my hands on it. pm me if you'd like.

the_consumer

hey devilock, were you the dude that was handed a free ticket right as you were about to enter the venue? if so, you were right in front of me. i thought it was pretty neat that someone gave you a free ticket!

i'll dvd the show eventually, i also audio recorded it with my Zoom H4 but its slightly incomplete. expect a torrent at dimeadozen soon of that source.

i overheard someone outside the venue after the show saying "i can't believe i just saw THE MELVINS".  Being my 11th (i think) Melvins show, i thought that was kinda cute...

Doody the Clown

I find it funny when I hear about Dale getting pissed and trying to take motherfuckers out.  I heard the show they did in Oklahoma here in 06 he ended up leveling some drunk dude and dragging him outside.  He seems like a really calm and collected dude compared to Buzzo, but it seems like he has a lower tolerance to bullshit and is a lot quicker to slap some lips shut if he feels it's necessary.

Dale is my kinda guy.  :love:

Idlehanz

Wonder why Buzz didn't give the friends/enemies speech?

I don't think I've ever seen Buzz or Dale go after anybody at a show.  And I've been to quite a few.  Neither of them seem like the type to get physical with somone.  Maybe it's because Moss get's to them first and tosses their ass.

Jozz

Yeah, the only thing I've seen remotely close to Buzzo getting pissed was when some dude tried to touch his guitar when he was playing. He snapped his guitar back so quick that it scared the shit out of the guy. And I've seen tons of Melvins shows, too. People should know at this point that the one way to get any of the guys pissed off real quick is getting too close to the stage or ON :shock: the stage. Be respectful people (not that I think anyone here would do that)!

Idlehanz

I agree, but I think the problem is, when your 17 and have to much energy, and you've managed to get somone to buy you some Natural Light, you tend to want to get involved.   We've all been to shows where there's someone climbing onstage every 10 seconds, and usually they get right back off.  It's the guy that stays and wants to disrupt that ruins things. 

I spent way too much time in the pit at shows, but never got onstage for fear of getting kicked out and missing a single note of music.  Nowadays I can still get down there, hold my own, and laugh like hell when Moss throws some little dipshit ass over teakettle back into the crowd. 

I will never forget the image of the kid in Portland this last Melvins tour.  He was grabbed by his shirt and back of the pants and tossed into the crowd.  Did a half-flip into the crowd, landed on his back on peoples hands, and they pushed him right back up into the air.  Unfortunaley for him, he got tossed backwards, where no one wanted to grab him.    THUD.

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: Idlehanz on August 11, 2008, 05:59:59 PM
Wonder why Buzz didn't give the friends/enemies speech?

I don't think I've ever seen Buzz or Dale go after anybody at a show.  And I've been to quite a few.  Neither of them seem like the type to get physical with somone.  Maybe it's because Moss get's to them first and tosses their ass.
A few years back Buzz kicked some guy, getting ready to jump off,  in the ass, who jumped on stage.. :lol:..I think I got a picture of the guy as he was being dragged out.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

d3vil0ck

Quote from: the_consumer on August 11, 2008, 03:21:11 PM
hey devilock, were you the dude that was handed a free ticket right as you were about to enter the venue? if so, you were right in front of me. i thought it was pretty neat that someone gave you a free ticket!

yep, that was me. i didn't realize the guy was giving the ticket away, i thought he was selling it haha. i asked him how much and he said "nothing".

i can't wait for the audio torrent, should be cool. whenever you do dvd the show, let me know. i've always wanted a copy of a show i've been to, and i could never find one.

also, buzz did give the friends/enemies speech. the guy that was jumping around like an idiot was 29 years old, too. sort of unacceptable.

DamageInc

I also went to this show.  I went with d3vilock. It was my first Melvins show. It was fucking great I definitely need to go to way more, probably one of the best live performances i've seen. The bassist is so damn funny. To the guy making the dvd of the concert, I would seriously get a copy that would be awesome to have.

Idlehanz

Quote from: DamageInc on August 11, 2008, 09:18:06 PM
I also went to this show.  I went with d3vilock. It was my first Melvins show. It was fucking great I definitely need to go to way more, probably one of the best live performances i've seen. The bassist is so damn funny. To the guy making the dvd of the concert, I would seriously get a copy that would be awesome to have.
Welcome to a world beyond Metallica. :) 

HappyNoodleBoy

This was my first show as well. And that douche who jumped on the stage (twice as has been noted) was...well...a douche. I don't know if the Melvins do encores much, but if they do, then that guy killed any chances of one. Ah, well. That's what we get for having an open bar all night :P