new popularity?

Started by CaptainPungent, August 20, 2008, 07:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainPungent

named in a very popular movie, buzz on fox news, etc. etc.
are the melvins getting...BIG TIME?

i went to the chapel hill show and there were countless kids there, and i only know a select few who are seen there in their teens, but some kind of  new thing has happened.  i don't know whether to like it or not.  of course more love for the melvins means more melvins, but you come across more dickheads than what the usual melvins fan is.
brian walsby's band opened so maybe that has something to do with it, since they are one of those circle pit bands (not my type at all) and that attracts younga peoples.

does anyone else find this extremely weird?
of course i'm happy for them if this is the case

supernaut

maybe quality does win out in the end...

anaconda

jared and coady attract the hipsters.

Idlehanz

I've noticed an insurgence  of members here lately, but I suppose that can be compared to population growth.  People die, people are born.  Melvins fans come and go.  But theer are some of us that are Highlanders.

I didn't notice anything but the usual crowd at the Seattle and Portland shows.  I think Buzz probably went on FOX for A ) Publicity, and B ) he's intelligent and wants to voice his opinion.  But how he got to be on FOX is another question.

Them being in Juno was cool.  Actually, I haven't seen it, but everyone at work knows I love the Melvins, and when they saw the movie, they all came and told me.  I already knew by then, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

I guess I find this no weirder than when I heard they were picked up by Atlantic.  

Btw, where the hell have you been Jamie?  Out there in the 'normal' world?  :P

nothintothenotice

i've definitely notice that is starting to be cool to like the melvins

bUTTHOLEmAN

The melvins have tons of street cred!
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

dead mike

buzz said in one relatively recent interview that the crowds at melvins shows have stayed consistently young throughout the years, meaning fans grow out of them as they get older, or at least stop going to shows.

i doubt being name-dropped in a nouveau-hipster mainstream film is enough to vault a highly impenetrable band (at least to the unwashed masses) into hannah montana-like pop stardom.
Can you all shut your damn cocks for one second? Music is the only thing that's real in this queef world of dildo ass chodes.

- hemispheres

Mad Arab

I wish the Melvins all the success. Just don't bump into me when you are doing all the ignorant moshing. I want to watch the Melvins not some sweaty, drunk hipster jumping around and running into people.

Pelican

As long as I don't have to start going to see them play in arenas, I don't care.

Wouldn't it be weird if it wasn't the hipsters, but another group joining the ranks? What if it was inner city gangstas, or gelled haired quidos with fake tans and track suits? "Aye, you gonna play Nightgoat or what?" being yelled in your ear by Joey Porsche as he sips on his vodka.

anaconda

I've seen them in arenas! It was great!
Melvins, Primus opening for RUSH
Mark D era.       brilliant.

Idlehanz

Quote from: Pelican on August 20, 2008, 10:24:00 PM
As long as I don't have to start going to see them play in arenas, I don't care.

Wouldn't it be weird if it wasn't the hipsters, but another group joining the ranks? What if it was inner city gangstas, or gelled haired quidos with fake tans and track suits? "Aye, you gonna play Nightgoat or what?" being yelled in your ear by Joey Porsche as he sips on his vodka.

Were this to happen, I see the second civil war happening.

irezumi

Quote from: anaconda on August 20, 2008, 10:32:55 PM
I've seen them in arenas! It was great!
Melvins, Primus opening for RUSH
Mark D era.       brilliant.

saw that same arena tour; as well as them opening for White Zombie.

Pelican

Joey Porsche is the one in the Italy shirt thing, and these are his friends.

I'll take hipsters over this any day, see it can always be worse.

[attachment deleted by admin]

irezumi

Quote from: Pelican on August 20, 2008, 10:53:26 PM

When I was growing up these dudes had mullets and drove IROCs. Ah how the times change...

Idlehanz

Quote from: Pelican on August 20, 2008, 10:53:26 PM

Please keep these people away from me.

Where do they inhabit?  I know there's no one like this in Portland.  They wouldn't last a second.