your favorite melvins-sounding band

Started by mullet man, March 20, 2004, 10:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norecess

Quote from: klump on November 18, 2005, 05:47:08 AM
mastodons version of the bit sucks.
I actually heaved while listening to it.

Did the song have anything to do with that?

Kurva

as I said, you wont hear the influence on the very frst listen  :wink:
and does it really MATTER? I mean there "doom", but comparing to Sleep for example, there much less "METAL" if you know what I mean ..
what have ya herd?

norecess

Quote from: Kurva on November 18, 2005, 09:58:08 AM
and does it really MATTER? I mean there "doom", but comparing to Sleep for example, there much less "METAL" if you know what I mean ..
what have ya herd?

No of course it doesn't matter, but that's not what I tried to point out.

I listened to Crippled Lucifer, have they put out anything else then?

Kurva

http://www.southernlord.com/witch.htm

get there split with goatsnake! and/or with asva
have you heard the Asva song - Caprichos? Dylans work on this is so fuckin unbelievable!
hey I could hook you up with BOOTSY KRONOS "Go Fuck Yourself" demos thru slsk, the first demo Stuart played to his Asva boys, where he talks about it / other shit between the songs. priceless!

Kurva

and another thing thats good about The Witch.
it takes time for you

Cloud

Has anyone menrioned Flipper? That's an obvious one really.
Just like your mum does.

Random fact  # 16: All the Misfits best songs start with the letter H.

klump

Quote from: norecess on November 18, 2005, 09:22:37 AM

yeah, I blew chunks the second the drummer started playing.
I dont mind bands covering songs, but I think they should at least play it right or make an entirely different version of the song.

mastodons version just stunk.
and their cover is a poor rip off of Martin Kvammes Tomahawk design.

norecess

Quote from: klump on November 19, 2005, 08:04:32 AM

I dont mind bands covering songs, but I think they should at least play it right or make an entirely different version of the song.

I think Mastodon did a decent job, and watching them live for about two hours and then hearing them playing the first chords of The Bit was freakin' awesome.

And what cover do you mean, Leviathan? That's not the real cover, just a sleeve. I also see some similarities now you've mentioned it but it seems like you also, probably, unconsiously, try to compare things with the stuff YOU like.

Bitches of Copacabana

I'm gonna go with Electric Wizard, High on Fire and Jucifer (one of my all-time faves).
"Be-bop boot and shoe, ding dong the bell has been rang."

Anti Vermin Seed

Mastodons version of The Bit did kinda suck but it was cool that they played it since theyre one of my fav bands.

klump

Quote from: norecess on November 19, 2005, 08:31:24 AM

I think Mastodon did a decent job, and watching them live for about two hours and then hearing them playing the first chords of The Bit was freakin' awesome.

And what cover do you mean, Leviathan? That's not the real cover, just a sleeve. I also see some similarities now you've mentioned it but it seems like you also, probably, unconsiously, try to compare things with the stuff YOU like.

huh? of course I compare it with what I like.
If you like it then fine,I dont have to like it.
I was going to see them (had ordered tickets and everything, but I got sick)
cause I had heard so many fantastic things about them...but after seeing thatvideo clip Im sure I wouldnt have enjoyed myself.

I actually thought some of their old songs were cool (cause it sounded like today is the day minus the whining).
but that macho nacho man attitude gets boring quick. at least for me.

GrimReaper

norecess

Quote from: klump on November 20, 2005, 06:31:23 PM
Quote from: norecess on November 19, 2005, 08:31:24 AM

huh? of course I compare it with what I like.

How is that so naturally?

QuoteIf you like it then fine,I dont have to like it.

Did I really give you the impression to force you to like it?

QuoteI was going to see them (had ordered tickets and everything, but I got sick)
cause I had heard so many fantastic things about them...but after seeing thatvideo clip Im sure I wouldnt have enjoyed myself.

Which video was that? I've never seen any videos by them, except for a few seconds via their website, but the quality wasn't that good. And how could you possibly judge a band how they are live, by watching a video of them?

Look, I don't need any arguments why you don't like Mastodon. I feel that if one doesn't iike a band, he needs exactly zero arguments to feel that way. But judging a band by a video sounds weird. I think I've seen enough dumb videos by bands who still rock live, can't think of any right now, though.

QuoteI actually thought some of their old songs were cool (cause it sounded like today is the day minus the whining).
but that macho nacho man attitude gets boring quick. at least for me.

You mean that poser attitude like Zakk Wylde has? I'm totally with you on that one. But Mastodon aren't posers.

norecess

klump