Hostile Ambient Takeover

Started by klump, March 25, 2004, 04:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al27

Believe me, I'm just as confused with my reaction to HAT too.

I hear it and I think "standard post-Atlantic Melvins album" even though NOTHING the Melvins have EVER DONE was STANDARD ANYTHING!

-al27

(the) Razor

HAT is  a weird album. The first time you listen to it it's like..."huh? Is that all?"

But after a while, someone here described it best, you realise it's like the dessert of Melvins albums.
Don't click this

al27

I listened to it a few more times and I find I am liking it more.

One thing I did notice is how prominent Mr. Rutmantis's bass is on this one (as opposed to, say, The Maggot, where he just seems to follow Buzz's guitar around... not that its a bad thing when the album KICKS THAT HARD!!!!). 

Its nice to hear him more.

-al27

anaconda

oh really? capt obvious. HAT is the best mid-to-late period album they ever recorded,
HAT era had the best tours as well. The only slip was the message saved bunk, and rutmanis
getting down with mr brownstone.

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: anaconda on November 28, 2007, 10:19:40 PM
oh really? capt obvious. HAT is the best mid-to-late period album they ever recorded,
HAT era had the best tours as well. The only slip was the message saved bunk, and rutmanis
rutmanis and brownstone?  I heard it was jenkem.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

glen

not to beat a deadhorse here.... but hey, at least it ain't kurt cobain I'm talking about,  BUT:

I still ain't convinced mr. brownstone was involved.  my opinion circles more around the alcohol issue.

but regarless, HAT IS a beautiful thing.        no offense but in a bass battle-royal between kev and jared my money goes all-in on KEV.       there is just so much more style there.  jared is more of a note man.  kev is(was) all over the place.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

rictus

Quote from: glen on November 29, 2007, 11:37:21 AM
HAT IS a beautiful thing.        no offense but in a bass battle-royal between kev and jared my money goes all-in on KEV.       there is just so much more style there.  jared is more of a note man.  kev is(was) all over the place.

Agreed. Jared's more of a guitar player with a bass. Not that there's anything wrong with that, Kevin's
just more versatile. And yes his bass playing is what makes HAT for me my favorite Melvins album.

Justafilthylurker

Quote from: al27 on November 28, 2007, 10:15:20 PM

One thing I did notice is how prominent Mr. Rutmantis's bass is on this one (as opposed to, say, The Maggot, where he just seems to follow Buzz's guitar around... not that its a bad thing when the album KICKS THAT HARD!!!!). 

-al27

A lot of the stuff that sounds like guitar on the Maggot is actually Kevin's bass.

al27

Quote from: anaconda on November 28, 2007, 10:19:40 PM

I, uh, apologise for voicing my opinion? :(

-al27

Uncle Fester

dont worry about him. you see.... hes my...BROTHER.

Eye in Triangle

Quote from: Justafilthylurker on November 29, 2007, 02:12:26 PM
Quote from: al27 on November 28, 2007, 10:15:20 PM

-al27

A lot of the stuff that sounds like guitar on the Maggot is actually Kevin's bass.

They're both men of considerable talent I think, they both bring their own unique dynamic to the outfit. Jared's got the skill man, although I wish he was mixed a little more distinctly from the guitar on ASA and NWB sometimes, like Rutmanis used to be.

PrickHonky

I really love this album and would love to see some live shows from this tour.  Dr. Geek is one of my favorite tunes on the disc; I love that surf guitar tone Buzz uses
What would a woman that fine want in a big, fat, nasty, greasy, fat, stank, bloated, cheesy-backed, 12-sandwich-eatin' bastard?

Turn around mister, and never trust a girl giving her donuts away for free.

Conor

Listening to this tonight for the first time in a very long time. Man Little Judas Chongo is blowing my mind. This is a great album. I'm too young!
I'm going to pray for you all now.

gesundheit

Even with all the acclaim, Little Judas Chongo deserves much more. The sounds in that song are unmatched. A true Melvins (with Kev) masterpiece.

Dumpster D

the double drums when the first Actual song kicks is sweeeet.

the guitar on that song is punk rock GOLD.

no one rocks it like this band...funny Buzz mentioned they didn't spend over 20 grand to record HAT...it's definetly remarkable.

the recording sounds better than anything that cost over 10 million...

I asked this in another post, but who can tell me what the last chord on Brain centre is?

I guessed quicly that it's like a 7th chord...who's got that tune licked?

did anyone else think these guys had a great time making this album?

"isn't this, isn't this simple...isn't this?"

FUCKING BEAUTIFUL!