Youth of America > Your Blessened

Started by norecess, May 02, 2009, 10:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norecess

Compare:

Melvins - Youth of America (Wipers cover) live (3:58)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoBaWszBlaw#t=3m58s

with

Melvins - You Blessened (2:40)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAS_667Cwkg#t=2m40s

(deeplinking to a timeframe doesn't work here, so some of you will have to skip to the frame manually, but I'm sure you've done that before)

I found the guitar parts quite similar, that's it really. God bless America.

Dr Geek

Yes, I've noticed that too, although it took me a while to realize why the part in Youth of America sounded so familiar.

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Like Stee

The deeplinks to the time frame worked.  Never noticed that similarity before.  Hmmm.
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

r40f

it is a similar riff but it's kind of just a technique, there isn't necessarily a correlation. 

GrimReaper

Both songs kick ass and that's all that matters.

Andy

Quote from: r40f on May 02, 2009, 01:31:03 PM
it is a similar riff but it's kind of just a technique, there isn't necessarily a correlation. 

I haven't listened to the clip but I think I know which bit you mean. I think that's just Buzz's fast solo guitar lick thing that he does. Like that power chord he does where he changes the notes on the second string of the chord (like the intro bit of Revolve) crops up quite a bit in other songs. I guess it's just the way he plays.
For your health!

Mad Arab

VaticanShotglass

I've always noticed the similarity.  I love that sound.  I need to break out the wiper's version(s) to see how it compares. 

Like Stee

Quote from: VaticanShotglass on May 03, 2009, 08:14:28 PM
I've always noticed the similarity.  I love that sound.  I need to break out the wiper's version(s) to see how it compares. 
Good point.  I've never heard the Wipers version.  Maybe that's Buzz' own addition.
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

seas of luck

I've noticed it too.  Glad to see I'm not alone.

Leroy

Now, where can I get that Wipers album with Youth of America?  I can't find it anywhere.

VaticanShotglass

I highly recommend this:  http://www.amazon.com/Wipers-Box-Set/dp/B00005QK5X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1242016088&sr=8-1

It is the first three wipers albums plus bonus material.  Great stuff.  Though I keep forgetting to check the solo to compare (its a long song and I get into and forget my purpose every time). 

VaticanShotglass

Just checked and the two are actually fairly similar but significantly different.  Overall Greg sage's part (the first break about three to four minutes in) is more chordy and feedbacky and when it gets to the ascending single notes he seems to slide to one note and play it rapidly then slide to another where Buzz seems to do a more hammeron pulloff technique (about four minutes into the song)... Oh wait... (i'm still listening, its a long song) around seven minutes into the Wipers version Sage plays something very similar to Buzz's solo but less fluid and more staggered, slower, less like Your Blessened.