melvins + sonic youth album?????????

Started by <--hoax-->, April 19, 2004, 01:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galvano

QuoteThe number of people who die of substance problems every day is probably something I'll never be able to fathom

If it was only substance problems he had, I don't think he would be dead today.

Reverend Ebeneezer

Quote from: Anonymousyou know what i mean

No, I don't actually. Why should we respect an individual simply because of their reputation and celebrity? Fair enough, Kurt gave us Smells Like Teen Spirit which will be played for ever more but we'll still be enduring Cliff Richard and his pap for all eternity, too. The only difference is that you happen to be a Nirvana fan and Kurt's a certifiable 'rock star'. Musically, a lot of his work could arguably be considered pop music and little more.

And, while we're at it, why does a critic's opinion matter more than my own? Because they're published and I'm not? Don't get me wrong, I think Kurt should be respected but I'd argue that someone like Mike Patton or Mark Arm or, yes, predictably King Buzzo should be on a similar pedestal for their contributions to music. Peoplwe dig Kurt because he was pretty and wrote catchy songs. Top and bottom of it, same with the Beatles.
Don't cut me!DON'T CUT ME!
-Thrones, Simon Legree live...

mobmob

Quote from: Anonymouspatton haters have a warped musical perspective
if he's not good, then who is?
this is just stupid
i like every single record of my collection more than anything patton has ever came up with
but now i'm loosing objectivity as well - so i better shut up

Galvano

QuotePeoplwe dig Kurt because he was pretty and wrote catchy songs. Top and bottom of it, same with the Beatles

What about being a down to earth guy and writing lyrics thousands of people could/can relate to.
Don't generalize the fans of Nirvana as being busty blonde teens who liked the singer because he was cute, that would be a big mistake.

Reverend Ebeneezer

Quote from: Galvano
QuotePeoplwe dig Kurt because he was pretty and wrote catchy songs. Top and bottom of it, same with the Beatles

What about being a down to earth guy and writing lyrics thousands of people could/can relate to.
Don't generalize the fans of Nirvana as being busty blonde teens who liked the singer because he was cute, that would be a big mistake.

You've not read many of my posts about Nirvana have you? I'm not trying to categorise all Nirvana fans in any way, I mean I've gone out of my way to aquire bootlegs of the band so I know they're not just vapid teenage girls (although some definitely are). What I mean is that Kurt is naturally idolised more than many of his musical peers because of his looks in addition to his music - why are Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Alice In Chains the big four grunge bands and Mudhoney, Tad, Melvins and their ilk not revered in a similar way? Because one group all have very very marketable frontmen and the others don't. That's where the media attention comes from. I mean, listen to some of Alice In Chains' lyrics, f'rinstance Down In A Hole which to my ears sounds like something a boyband would sing ("I want to be inside of you...I give this part of me for you" Bleh!). Yet we forgive them and revere them despite their obvious marketability.

I'm not dissing Nirvana's music or fans but the fact he was very, very marketable led in some way to Nirvana becoming legends. Why do people not give two shits about Krist Novoselic (or to a lesser extent Dave Grohl)? When they started out Tad headlined and Nirvana opened and who was the last to bne signed to a major? You can't tell me it has nothing do with Kurt.

And down to earth?!? Please! Shooting smack all day and acting the way he did is hardly down to earth. True he can laugh at Axl Rose but he's not "one of the crowd". We only have to think about Something In The Way and the lies he told through that song to see he was a total attention whore...

Galvano

No I may have missed your posts about Nirvana.

I think the media has more to do with the idolisation of Kurt than his looks.
I.e when they released Nevermind, Nirvana was on tour in europe, they would get phonecalls letting them know SLTS was spinning round and round on MTV.
There was no real marketing, no expensive video, MTV just decided it should play 20 times a day.
And we all know what happens to bands that get that kind of rotation on MTV.

Why Krist or Dave didn't get as much attention as Kurt is no big mystery, it happens to most bands, the front man/woman gets the most attention from the press.
And lets face it, during the Nirvana years, Dave wasn't exactly the most vocal person.

When something hits, and hits big, all record labels (the major ones) wants to find the new similar act and make as much money, this happens to all different waves of music.
Ofcourse the bands can choose if they want to jump on the wagon or not.
Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam got on that wagon, they could have chosen to stay low key.
But also the music has a lot to do with it, I mean Melvins also jumped on that wagon to a certain degree when signing with Atlantic but their music is not as easy to sing along with at a first glance.

When Nirvana got big I think they were put in an odd position, I mean while they wanted to sell records, they didn't want to do tv shows (they would toss around their instruments on live broadcasts if made doing a playback show, or they would play a totally different song than what was agreed beforehand with the producers), so they tried to keep their "punk stamp" and still sell records, it's a difficult game.

I still think he was a down to earth guy compared to most people that have sold that many records and given that kind of media attention.

TOOL

This whole thing is pissing me off.  I don't see any messages about  a Sonic Youth/Melvins collaboration here.  Mostly just a bunch of bitching about how Kurt's music sucked and he doesn't deserve any recognation for his music.

NONE of us is a music expert, except to ourselves, and the the music we personally like.  Don't pretend you are and try to convince other people that your opinion the only one that's right.
There's a lot of things blamed on me that never happened.  But then, there's a lot of things that I did that I never got caught at.

Vcavallo

you shouldn't specify only women.  guys are more inclined to like pretty guys as well, even if they don't know it.  i'll easily admit that i think Kurt was one damn sexy bitch.  i've never been attracted to another male to the point of wanting any kind of physical relationship by any means, but kurt cobain was hot.
Vinney "only takes 15 years to make good on his promises" Cavallo

wonk eye

Quote from: Reverend Ebeneezer
Quote from: The Piss-Machine
By the way, regarding patton; why doesn't any ever mention FNMs last album before the implosion? "Album of The Year" is a monumental tour de force of pop wonder. If my facticity is in line, I think Patton wrote most of that, insofar as they were disintegrating at the time (i.e. keyboard player = gay junkie). As far as I'm concerned, there are moments on that album that bitch-slap some of the stuff from Angel Dust and KFADFFAL.

Then you'll perhaps be dissapointed to know that that "gay junkie" was responsible for a large proportion of Album of the Year. The majority of that record was written by Bill Gould and Roddy, largely because Patton wanted out of the band and only begrudgingly produced any lyrics for it, Mike Bordin didn't really come up with songs anyhow and Jon Hudson was hired too late. I'm not saying it's not a great record-I love some moments off it, but it's very VERY bland in places and what kind of career ender is fucking 'Pristina'?!? Christ...

pristina is the best song on there! it rocks to the max

Reverend Ebeneezer

Quote from: Vcavallo

you shouldn't specify only women.  guys are more inclined to like pretty guys as well, even if they don't know it.  i'll easily admit that i think Kurt was one damn sexy bitch.  i've never been attracted to another male to the point of wanting any kind of physical relationship by any means, but kurt cobain was hot.

I feel the same way about Tad.  :lol:

Vcavallo

Galvano

Quote from: Vcavalloyou shouldn't specify only women.  guys are more inclined to like pretty guys as well, even if they don't know it.  i'll easily admit that i think Kurt was one damn sexy bitch.  i've never been attracted to another male to the point of wanting any kind of physical relationship by any means, but kurt cobain was hot.

I was making a point.
Yes I agree he was one good looking man, but that has nothing to do with me enjoying their music, if he would have had an ass for a face, I would still like the songs.

Vcavallo

Quote from: Vcavalloyou shouldn't specify only women.  guys are more inclined to like pretty guys as well, even if they don't know it.  i'll easily admit that i think Kurt was one damn sexy bitch.  i've never been attracted to another male to the point of wanting any kind of physical relationship by any means, but kurt cobain was hot.

I was making a point.
Yes I agree he was one good looking man, but that has nothing to do with me enjoying their music, if he would have had an ass for a face, I would still like the songs.

good call.  me too.  the face just makes photo-ops more pleasing.  not the music.

Grungeisdead

Quotewe all know damn well kurt would have been nothing if he had never taddled around snorting buzz's farts straight out of his ass.

Yes, that is true. Kurt even said something to the effects "I sat through a 1000 Melvins practices. If that didn't rub off on you than you're probably a really jaded person" He basically admited The Melvins had an influence on him...

Quotewhy are Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Alice In Chains the big four grunge bands and Mudhoney, Tad, Melvins and their ilk not revered in a similar way?

The band(NIRVANA) was once asked after touring with Sonic Youth, why didn't they sell 50,000 (some # like that) of their last album... The drummer at the time (I don't think it was Ghrol..) he simply said "Becuase people are Fu*cking stupid"... Which is true. Most of the NIRVANA fans were Nevermind fans and which was an easy album to get to (carried in all the major retail stores) where as Mudhoney wasn't as easy to get too.

NIRVANA is the band that brought grunge mainstream with a pop cd... Is there anything wrong with pop? Pop in the sense it use to be "simple songs" now it basically any Boy band or Girl singer...

NIRVANA does get more respect than they deserve, but how much respect do they honestly get? When ever some VH1 thing comes on and talks about time period they talk about the record Kurt wanted to rerecord (wouldn't that make you feel shitty?) and Smells like teen spirt comes on all the time. Being pretty much known for one song by a lot of people(or one album), makes you like a one hit wonder when they did have better stuff out there. A lot of B-sides are really good n' grungy IMO.

As a guy, I have no hesitant to say Kurt was hot. His eyes... People said he was a down to earth guy, which was probably really true (never met him can't say)... One reported recordly saw him sitting back stage eating a hotdog and maccaroni and cheese at the height of his In Utero selling, he could have had just about anything he wanted...

To Sonic Youth. Good band. I've only recently started to listen to them (with Kazaa it's easier to find stuff that wouldn't be as easy to find)... I don't really get what the topic creator is talking about as far as it goes to them.