What if the melvins added a THIRD drummer?

Started by dead mike, September 09, 2009, 10:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

>>>JZS<<<

ManWithNoName

Quote from: glen on September 10, 2009, 08:22:09 AM
Quote from: molotov on September 09, 2009, 11:44:39 PM
Call Danny Carey and make an EP.

why I oughta....

danny carey doesn't have the beef to play with dale/coady.  he's all tech, neil perty.   he's not versed in the ways of the HEAVY.  at least make it someone who can WAIL.
You don't like Tool. We get it. Listen to Divorce. What's there not to like? Danny Carey is fully versed in the ways of the heavy. So he's not as heavy as Dale? Who is? Dale isn't as technical as Danny? What's the big deal? Dale and Danny are too completely different drummers. I don't find one to be better than the other. Do I prefer Dale over Danny? Sure. I don't know but to me Divorced is solid empirical evidence that not only can both play together awfully well, but they complement each other in a way that Coady and Dale do not. I'm not claiming one drummer is better than the other or anything like that but to suggest that Danny Carey can't keep up with Dale on account of his "lack of heavyness" is like saying Dale can't keep up with Danny because he's not nearly as technical (... or a different kind of technical). it don't make no sense.

Also, even though I'm a canuck, I will ignore the little jab towards the Canadian hero that is Neil Peart.

oh and, I still can't believe how many people are bitching and whining about big melvins. Are you fucking kidding me? Seems like it was not too long ago that we all had a collective raging boner when we first heard the melvins would usurp the biz. STFU and let Buzz & co. do the driving.

>>>JZS<<<

Quote from: ManWithNoName on September 10, 2009, 08:43:04 AM

why I oughta....

danny carey doesn't have the beef to play with dale/coady.  he's all tech, neil perty.   he's not versed in the ways of the HEAVY.  at least make it someone who can WAIL.
You don't like Tool. We get it. Listen to Divorce. What's there not to like? Danny Carey is fully versed in the ways of the heavy. So he's not as heavy as Dale? Who is? Dale isn't as technical as Danny? What's the big deal? Dale and Danny are too completely different drummers. I don't find one to be better than the other. Do I prefer Dale over Danny? Sure. I don't know but to me Divorced is solid empirical evidence that not only can both play together awfully well, but they complement each other in a way that Coady and Dale do not. I'm not claiming one drummer is better than the other or anything like that but to suggest that Danny Carey can't keep up with Dale on account of his "lack of heavyness" is like saying Dale can't keep up with Danny because he's not nearly as technical (... or a different kind of technical). it don't make no sense.

Also, even though I'm a canuck, I will ignore the little jab towards the Canadian hero that is Neil Peart.

oh and, I still can't believe how many people are bitching and whining about big melvins. Are you fucking kidding me? Seems like it was not too long ago that we all had a collective raging boner when we first heard the melvins would usurp the biz. STFU and let Buzz & co. do the driving.

You like Tool & Rush. We get it.  :D .....Big Belvins Rules!!

glen

Quote from: ManWithNoName on September 10, 2009, 08:43:04 AM

You don't like Tool. We get it. Listen to Divorce. What's there not to like? Danny Carey is fully versed in the ways of the heavy. So he's not as heavy as Dale? Who is? Dale isn't as technical as Danny? What's the big deal? Dale and Danny are too completely different drummers.

nothing to do with not liking tool. yet it is.   becuase this is exactly the reason I don't like tool.  they aren't heavy.

but I see your compliment point.  to some extent. 
dale just has that strange timing thing going on.   dale is dale.  there is no other.   

I think coady is an amazing drummer.  prolly my 2nd favorite on earth.  but I'd still be more inclined to hear dale on his own and coady on hi[/i]s own.

but hey,  I don't make the decisions. I just buy the music.  and the tickets.

in closing let me say that I am hoping the next MELVINS albums has more change-off drumming and independent things going on between dale and coady. as opposed to the beat for beat of the last 2 albums.  work OFF each other.  not WITH each other.  IMO.   bringing us back to the original point of this thread.  a 3rd drummer would be left no room.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

jlamour

glen

"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

molotov

rictus

why I oughta....

How about Igor? Or Danny Herrera? Or Igor AND Danny Herrera?  :shock:

PrickHonky

if they were still alive, I would suggest John Bonham and/or Keith Moon
What would a woman that fine want in a big, fat, nasty, greasy, fat, stank, bloated, cheesy-backed, 12-sandwich-eatin' bastard?

Turn around mister, and never trust a girl giving her donuts away for free.

molotov

Uncle Fester

after seeing the melvins as  trio doing houdini its safe to say that they are way better and heavier as a trio. if there is a need for a fourth it should be a second guitarist or synth. I dont like jareds bass playing or his tone either.
but like glen said.. were not the ones who decide this.
theres already a studio album in the works with the current line up. I just hope its not going to be a ASA NWB sort of thing.

rictus

Quote from: Uncle Fester on September 10, 2009, 01:09:59 PM
theres already a studio album in the works with the current line up. I just hope its not going to be a ASA NWB sort of thing.

Third time's the charm?

Like Stee

Quote from: ManWithNoName on September 10, 2009, 08:43:04 AM...they complement each other in a way that Coady and Dale do not.

Yes!

Quote from: ManWithNoName on September 10, 2009, 08:43:04 AMoh and, I still can't believe how many people are bitching and whining about big melvins. Are you fucking kidding me? Seems like it was not too long ago that we all had a collective raging boner when we first heard the melvins would usurp the biz. STFU and let Buzz & co. do the driving.

Seriously?  I was never part of said boner.  I had high hopes at the beginning, but those were dashed at the release of ASA and ASA part 2 (known as NWB).  The recent Houdini shows were proof that they have always been heavier and tighter as a 3 piece.

Quote from: Uncle Fester on September 10, 2009, 01:09:59 PMI dont like jareds bass playing or his tone either.
but like glen said.. were not the ones who decide this.
As a bass player, I totally agree.  The jazz don't cut it for Melvins tone.  Slap a precision on that boy and take away his pedals.  The last two albums have the weakest bass of ANY Melvins records to date.  That, more than the drumming is my biggest gripe about Big Bizvins.  All that said, I'll buy everything that put out with the boys from the Biz, and go see 'em when they come on tour.  I just prefer them as a trio...
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

nickoctane

nickoctane

Say what you will about ASA and NWB, the new line up is the most powerful live version of the Melvins to date.IMO.