The Bride Screamed Murder

Started by blewis, March 08, 2010, 03:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chomas

when they say "my generation" at the end of track #2 it's like wtf?  there are a few stupid parts, and My Generation is really boring as a track, but overall I am loving the album.  There are a few parts where I'm like wtf but overall it's weirder than the previous 2 efforts which I was hoping for.  Just wish it was longer and there were more tracks.

Like Stee

Quote from: Idlehanz on May 15, 2010, 05:49:41 PM
I don't get the Surfers vibe myself, but I do agree it was totally unexpected.  I still hope they close out the shows with it.  It'd be a great ending and totally upset all the beefheads wanting to hear Revolve or Honeybucket again, so they can get one last punch on someone in the pit.
Couldn't agree more.  It's one of the best parts of the album, and live it will be great.  Just wonder who's gonna play melodica...
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

ZAPPAJOE

After listening to this multiple multiple multiple times over the past week and4 days I can honestly say there isn't a bad track on it. 

Anybody bitching about anything is out of their friggin mind.

I would like a nice studio version of Let Me Roll It . . . maybe on a single or something . . . in the near future.  I'm not bitching.  I'm just being greedy.

Mad Arab

I do like the military cadence vocals on the The Water Glass, it's a cool thing to do with this line up. But it's gonna take some getting used to hearing Buzz sing Rock Me Steady. Couldn't they come up with something else???

Idlehanz

Quote from: change&suffocation on May 15, 2010, 07:50:34 PM
  there are a few stupid parts, and My Generation is really boring as a track, but overall I am loving the album. 

Really?  Boring?  The bass line, and the schlllllllllllllllll vocals.  Love it.  Not heavy enough or something?

Idlehanz

Quote from: Jared Preston Esquire on May 15, 2010, 08:49:16 PM
I do like the military cadence vocals on the The Water Glass, it's a cool thing to do with this line up. But it's gonna take some getting used to hearing Buzz sing Rock Me Steady. Couldn't they come up with something else???
Because it's been done before?  An "indy band" saying Rock Me?  Because all the big label bands say "ROCK ME!" ?  Because the Melvins said "Rock Me"?

Words don't mean a thing.  It's who says them and how they are said that matters.  ( That's pretty much a George Carlin take on words themselves, but I think it applies. )

Granted, it struck me as odd hearing it the first time, but I know Buzz has a deep interest in war's, and in military cadence's.  It makes sense that one has been added in to a song.  And as I've said before, I would love to hear this cadence open the show.

Mad Arab

I do want to point out that this is the best album with this lineup yet. My critiques of it are minor. You can tell that they have fun with these guys and at this point in their lives I think that is very important to Buzz and Dale. You can tell with this album by the little weird parts that they are happy or am I off my rocker?

Idlehanz

Quote from: Jared Preston Esquire on May 15, 2010, 09:00:50 PM
I do want to point out that this is the best album with this lineup yet. My critiques of it are minor. You can tell that they have fun with these guys and at this point in their lives I think that is very important to Buzz and Dale. You can tell with this album by the little weird parts that they are happy or am I off my rocker?
I think your right.  But I think they've always had fun. 

There is never going to be another album you can compare to a previous album.  Never has been. And I get the feeling that's the biggest complaint from a few people on this board.  The Melvins/BB lineup doesn't sound like Kevin era, or Mark era, or Lori.....It never will.  The past is way in the past.

Mad Arab

No it's not that and I can't stand the "elitist" or "indy" attitude that you are talking about. I leave that to college aged individuals who thinks thats a really "cool" way to be.  My angle was that Buzz is like a genius when it comes to cool lyrics and hearing him say Rock Me Rock Me Rock Rock Steady threw me off is all.

The military cadence concept is really cool. A cadence is supposed to be catchy and keeping it simple is a way to make it easily memorable, perhaps that was why he chose "...Rock Steady".

Idlehanz

Quote from: Jared Preston Esquire on May 15, 2010, 09:06:16 PM
No it's not that and I can't stand the "elitist" or "indy" attitude that you are talking about. I leave that to college aged individuals who thinks thats a really "cool" way to be.  My angle was that Buzz is like a genius when it comes to cool lyrics and hearing him say Rock Me Rock Me Rock Rock Steady threw me off is all.

The military cadence concept is really cool.

We agree then :)  It just took us a while to realize that.

(the) Razor

Quote from: Idlehanz on May 15, 2010, 09:05:23 PM
There is never going to be another album you can compare to a previous album.  Never has been. And I get the feeling that's the biggest complaint from a few people on this board.  The Melvins/BB lineup doesn't sound like Kevin era, or Mark era, or Lori.....It never will.  The past is way in the past.

But there's nothing wrong with liking an older incarnation of the Melvins over this one, despite what a few flogs here are saying.

The fact you can have 25+ years worth of favourite albums to pick from is a testament to how fucking great this band is.
Don't click this

Idlehanz

Quote from: Razor on May 15, 2010, 09:13:23 PM
Quote from: Idlehanz on May 15, 2010, 09:05:23 PM
There is never going to be another album you can compare to a previous album.  Never has been. And I get the feeling that's the biggest complaint from a few people on this board.  The Melvins/BB lineup doesn't sound like Kevin era, or Mark era, or Lori.....It never will.  The past is way in the past.

But there's nothing wrong with liking an older incarnation of the Melvins over this one, despite what a few flogs here are saying.

The fact you can have 25+ years worth of favourite albums to pick from is a testament to how fucking great this band is.
Oh, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it.  We all have our favorite lineups.  I just get weary of hearing people complain about how it's not like this album, or that album, or blah blah.  It's never going to be like anything else.  That is why it's so good.

(the) Razor

I see - couldn't agree more.

Don't click this

Mad Arab

Oh I am definitely a bigger fan of their older material, but that's alright. I am not impuning on this line up at all.
They have so much material, I wish they would always do two sets at every show and epitomize their career through the setlist. But as Buzz has said the world is not a perfect place. 

bankrupt

Quote from: Jared Preston Esquire on May 15, 2010, 10:02:09 PM
Oh I am definitely a bigger fan of their older material, but that's alright. I am not impuning on this line up at all.
They have so much material, I wish they would always do two sets at every show and epitomize their career through the setlist. But as Buzz has said the world is not a perfect place. 

Last tour (technically the Chicken Switch tour, I guess) kind of did this, did it not? I mean, they played songs from pretty much every album/era over two sets, with a brief interval.