The Bride Screamed Murder

Started by blewis, March 08, 2010, 03:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonE5

Wasn't Adam found wandering in England like close to ten years ago? Gibbering and acting totally INSANE. Total cookoo nutter.

jules

Quote from: jonE5 on July 13, 2010, 12:05:24 PM
Wasn't Adam found wandering in England like close to ten years ago? Gibbering and acting totally INSANE. Total cookoo nutter.
Unfortunately so. I seem to remember him being arrested and admitted to hospital for pulling a gun out in a pub.

jonE5

I love the story of how his band went to Malcom McClaren for an image overhaul without Adam. He stole them all away and started Bow Wow Wow. Amazing!

rictus

Quote from: jonE5 on July 13, 2010, 01:18:54 PM
I love the story of how his band went to Malcom McClaren for an image overhaul

Who?

*that was for Buick.

dead mike

I want to be yet another one to extol the virtues of "I'll Finish You Off," which I think is up there with "The Fool, the Meddling Idiot" among melvins epic sludgefests. It's drone metal with a choir of Rob Halford clones harmonizing in a wind tunnel -- tremendous, relentless, withering.

Overall, two months later, this album gets more and more spins each day. I like what Sweet said: It's like relearning to like the melvins. It's challenging and catchy at the same time. It's arena math-metal for stoners. It's also the closest I'll ever get to my dream of an all-Who-covers melvins album, and I'm not just talking about "My Generation." The songs have an off-kilter sort of falling-down-the-stairs-in-fits-and-starts flow to them that reminds me of The Who, ca. 1966.
Can you all shut your damn cocks for one second? Music is the only thing that's real in this queef world of dildo ass chodes.

- hemispheres

ManWithNoName

+1 on an all Who covers melvins album.

Tattoo? Yes, please.

Angus Khan

I agree about Adam and the Ants.  The minute melvins got two drummers I instantly thought Adam and the Ants but now some songs on this album actually sound like they were influenced by kings of the wild frontier.  I don't mind adam and the ants they have some great tunes and some woefully shit ones but adam is an interesting character and his autobiography is worth a read.
...and they all sing the same refrain: its fun to take a trip, put acid in your veins.

Vedro

Everybody know that every new Melvins release it's something new and special in a different way with a twist. Long wait was like a torture, especially when everybody on this board discuss various aspects of album, and this interviewers guys talking about military cadences and Water Glass. 26 of july cd finally arrives, and I start Discover it very much. Listening to it many times I realised how amazing it is.

Everything: Unusual songs structure, military cadence, evil organ from Transylvania, dual drums, a lot of percussion, surf guitar, vocal harmonies, whistle and chant, little funny things, voice distortion, free jazz stuff with Dale's vocal, and of course that My Generation song that Dale wrote was awesome.

I like it as a fan. Can't wait to see them live... They have it, we want it, let's get it :)

molotov

Quote from: Vedro on August 04, 2010, 09:20:34 AM
Everybody know that every new Melvins release it's something new and special in a different way with a twist. Long wait was like a torture, especially when everybody on this board discuss various aspects of album, and this interviewers guys talking about military cadences and Water Glass. 26 of july cd finally arrives, and I start Discover it very much. Listening to it many times I realised how amazing it is.

Everything: Unusual songs structure, military cadence, evil organ from Transylvania, dual drums, a lot of percussion, surf guitar, vocal harmonies, whistle and chant, little funny things, voice distortion, free jazz stuff with Dale's vocal, and of course that My Generation song that Dale write was awesome.

I like it as a fan. Just awesome true rock 'n roll classic.

Can't wait to see them live... They have it, we want it, let's get it :)
Aren't you from Russia?

Pringles

Quote from: Dumpster D on July 05, 2010, 02:24:10 PM
actually I got that too, and for that matter the last three albums ALL have riffs that sound like different era's come back, like the most obvious one it the bass line from Crybaby's 12 minute death mach turned up in senile animal, my theory is jared and coady probably were like "yeah, buzz..remember the riff in THAT song? it's awesome! we should splice it in with this other older sounding melvins riff!"  well some of it's a little modified but I'll be damned to name everything right off the top of my head.

I dunno, they did that a couple of times where they mixed two older sounding riffs together, or back to back and it REALLY worked out great!

some of it is more subltle and may be more reflecting buzz's style more than anything...but out on a limb there's a handfull of things to the notice.

next time I go through all those albums I'll try and compile the "re-issue" riffs, an post it up one of these days.

That exactly how I feel about the new Melvins stuff. The Bride Screamed Murder is my favorite album to date cause its like all there older work put together in one. I even get some Maggot and Gluey Porch Treatment feeling in some riff.
Luck is a residue of design

Pringles

Oh, and when I got the album, I did'nt like the WaterGlass. Now that I heard it live, I think its the best song on the album. It really grow into you.
Luck is a residue of design

Fraser

I can't seem to form an opinion yet. It took me a year to finally appreciate NWB, which is definitely one of my favs so I'm guessing this will be the same. Some great moments, most of which seem to change drastically as soon as they begin. I think I need to improve my 'handle' on it in order to get the full effect. That's okay though, I like a challenge when it comes to music and Melvins never fail to in that sense.

DCGod

Quote from: Fraser on September 20, 2010, 02:44:04 PM
I can't seem to form an opinion yet. It took me a year to finally appreciate NWB, which is definitely one of my favs so I'm guessing this will be the same. Some great moments, most of which seem to change drastically as soon as they begin. I think I need to improve my 'handle' on it in order to get the full effect. That's okay though, I like a challenge when it comes to music and Melvins never fail to in that sense.

No rush dude-take your time, get back with us when you're ready. :)

Mad Arab

Hospital Up has become my favorite off this album. The Water Glass is next. I would love to be able to hear The Water Glass live, but they aren't coming my way on this tour it seems.

Dubwise Ministry Juan

I've actually forgotten what this album sounds like as I haven't heard it for many months.

I will have to listen to it again on the way home under the headphones.