A Senile Animal
12 (38.7%)
Nude With Boots
3 (9.7%)
The Bride Screamed Murder
16 (51.6%)

Total Members Voted: 30

VaticanShotglass

I'm listening to ASA right now.  I forgot to mention how very fond I am of History of Drunks.  My wife is fond of it as well (it made it on our wedding after party mix). 

To be fair, there is "the melvins effect" to acknowledge, whereby each new album is enjoyed and initially processed but looses out to more familiar competition only to be rediscovered a year or two down the road as face slapping wonderful just in time to distract you from their newer release and thus continuing "the melvins effect."

pinkyslim

Have NOT listened to TBSM yet BUT it pretty much is a given WE all are most fond of the "early stuff".
New MELVINS is better than anything BUT old MELVINS. 8)
I listen to NWB and ASA often,  They do not give me the goosebumps such a H.A.T or PIGS  or Maggot.

(((O)))

Quote from: pinkyslim on May 19, 2010, 04:31:20 PM
They do not give me the goosebumps such a H.A.T or PIGS or Maggot.
I dont think that the newer stuff is all that far behind those three. Although yes they were unfeasibly great tho!

deatheats

I'm sure when HAT came out people were like, "sure it's good, but it's not as good as [insert previous melvins album: bullhead, houdini, etc.]"

Dr.Benway

HAT, POTRE and Maggot is the Mel's early stuff? 

Dumpster D

pinkyslim

Dumpster D

VaticanShotglass

H.A.T. and Gluey Porch Treatments will always be fav.s for me.  I'd like to say it is for non sentimental reasons, as they are fantastic albums of depth and quality, able to change how you think of music, but there the sentimental stuff too.  These two, electroretard and Maggot were the first melvins albums I got (it was hard to find stuff when i had to make a 2 hour trip to chapel hill just to get anything better than Circuit City's selection).  I struggled with GPT at first and then it just unraveled and it changed how I thought of music.  A few years go by and H.A.T. comes out and besides being an amazing album (prob my fave by anyone) I got to see them for the supporting tour and the live experience changed how I thought of music.  So yeah none of my endorsements are every really mean on an objective critical level.  But damn, they wouldn't be our favorites if they didn't kick some kind of ass, right?

pinkyslim

Quote from: VaticanShotglass on May 20, 2010, 12:39:24 AM
H.A.T. and Gluey Porch Treatments will always be fav.s for me.  I'd like to say it is for non sentimental reasons, as they are fantastic albums of depth and quality, able to change how you think of music, but there the sentimental stuff too.  These two, electroretard and Maggot were the first melvins albums I got (it was hard to find stuff when i had to make a 2 hour trip to chapel hill just to get anything better than Circuit City's selection).  I struggled with GPT at first and then it just unraveled and it changed how I thought of music.  A few years go by and H.A.T. comes out and besides being an amazing album (prob my fave by anyone) I got to see them for the supporting tour and the live experience changed how I thought of music.  So yeah none of my endorsements are every really mean on an objective critical level.  But damn, they wouldn't be our favorites if they didn't kick some kind of ass, right?

The most logical explanation I can muster up is:

Show me someone who states"ASA, NWB and TBSM are their all time favorite MELVINS releases".

Is this your homework, Larry? Larry, have you ever heard of Vietnam? You are entering a world of pain, son - we know that this is your homework - we know you stole the car... and the fucking money... and... we know that this is your homework!

norecess

They do not give me the goosebumps such a H.A.T or PIGS  or Maggot.

HATER!!!!!

pinkyslim

Quote from: norecess on May 20, 2010, 01:18:39 AM
They do not give me the goosebumps such a H.A.T or PIGS  or Maggot.

HATER!!!!!

"Now that is just ridiculous, Dude. Nobody is going to cut your dick off. Not if I have anything to say about it."

h3r3t!c

ASA > TBSM > NWB

Although NWB includes some of my all time favorite songs (Billy Fish, Dies Iraea), the last songs are more like filler tracks or something (Savage Hippy, Stupid Creep, and that boring last song). Still a very very nice album.

I probably haven't heard TBSM often enough yet, but I couldn't say there's any bad song on it at the moment. The songs haven't grown on me as much as some NWB tracks, but as a whole, I think it's better than it.

ASA is the winner for me - no weak song on the album, lots of highlights (Talking Horse, Civilized Worm, History Of Bad Men, Mechanical Bride), and I probably rank it #1 because of it's freshness, first album with the BigBiz guys, new direction.

I could imagine that one day, TBSM replaces ASA as #1 in my personal ranking, but not for now.