GAMH SF May 2011

Started by gesundheit, May 12, 2011, 06:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gesundheit

gesundheit

Melvins had a very different vibe tonight than other nights that I've seen them. Less interaction (except Dale), more brutality. The sound was fucking HOT. More than ANY other Melvins show did I see fingers in ears and earplugs rampant. They did no less than level the fucking place within the first 15-20 minutes. What can you expect, really, when they begin a show with Charmicarmicat and HB/RBD? I had this sense that the $$ I paid for tickets for two nights was realized well within the first half-hour.

I'm kind of a slut for gear so I'll just rant on some things that I noticed. Buzz was rocking the new lucite the whole night. I think this was my first show seeing him play through the the Marshall amps. Dale and Coady were rocking some different drums than their usual gold flaked kits. Jared was cooking through a 8x10 cab, not his usual multi-combo setup. I assume this tour requires some more "to-the-point" type of amplification and power. Exchanging many smaller, lighter pieces...for fewer heavier, bulkier pieces. Not taking anything away from past shows I've seen there but I feel like GAMH resonated last night like never before. Thank you Melvins! Can't wait for tonight!

jules

Sounds awesome! Did you grab some merch?

gesundheit

I was unable...the money I have paid for my tickets.

Interestingly enough, I don't think the Endless Residency discs sold out. Or, if they did, it happened right at the end of the night. I asked Haze how many were left at the break between sets and he said a pretty good amount. So there might be a few still tonight.

GrimReaper

alfunso

Not really sure how you can rave about the first part of the show. Whenever I see a show at GAMH it seems like it takes 10-15 minutes before you can hear Buzz in the mix. The drums take over, and thats cool, but bascially I am there to see Buzz freaak out on the guitar. There was a great version of Flipper's SACRIFICE in the first set,  when he asked for a sacrifice, it didnt sound like it was a rhetorical question. But in general I thought the HOUDINI set was much stronger.
 I was outside before the show and someone offered Buzz some weed, he said he "wasnt into gateway drugs" [sic] and declined the offer but did accept choclate from another stoner munchie type,,,alfunso

jules

black stallion

Quote from: gesundheit on May 17, 2011, 02:35:35 PM
Dale and Coady were rocking some different drums than their usual gold flaked kits.

DW!
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

jules

Quote from: Dc on May 18, 2011, 07:54:00 AM
Fuck I want that shirt.
https://www.shopssl.de/epages/es10583705.sf/en_US/?ViewObjectID=4636515&ViewAction=ViewProductDetailImage

I'm gonna ask JB where he got his. Awesome t-shirt.

*Edit*  He got his off the internet, we gonna have to poke around there some more to find one.

Dead Bob

Last night was fucking great! Loved hearing 2 of my favorite albums in one night. Was that Dale's son that came out to play drums at the end?

SeattleSam

Quote from: Dead Bob on May 18, 2011, 12:27:10 PM
Last night was fucking great! Loved hearing 2 of my favorite albums in one night. Was that Dale's son that came out to play drums at the end?
Dale's son???  He can't be more than two.
I am a raper guy, obviously.

-Dc

Dead Bob

Quote from: SeattleSam on May 18, 2011, 12:51:42 PM
Didn't know his kid was that young, there was a youngster with long bleach blonde hair that took over his kit for the last song last night, figured it may have been his.

SeattleSam

Quote from: Dead Bob on May 18, 2011, 01:07:52 PM
Quote from: SeattleSam on May 18, 2011, 12:51:42 PM
Didn't know his kid was that young, there was a youngster with long bleach blonde hair that took over his kit for the last song last night, figured it may have been his.
Oh, that was probably his daughter.  She's played on stage before.
I am a raper guy, obviously.

-Dc

gesundheit

It wasn't a dude AND she was pretty fucking cute! How could you mistake her for a dude?  :-k

Who's a beautiful, blonde drummer girl that might have played with the Melvins??? Somebody here has to have an idea 'cause I sure don't...

Maybe we'll never know!? Though there will probably be video.