Melvins Lite - Freak Puke

Started by connor272, February 16, 2012, 12:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: black stallion on October 01, 2012, 11:32:51 AM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on October 01, 2012, 11:31:24 AM
He plays guitar on 'Let me roll it.' 

wasn't just backing vocals?
I pretty sure he played guitar.. let me check.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

jules

glen

Quote from: Hortense on October 01, 2012, 10:38:56 AM

Who IS Dan Raymond?  Really?

an educator.  a worldy traveler.  a bilinguist.  a singer.  the list goes on.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

black stallion

i must admit i cannot stop listening to this album
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

(((O)))

It's funny how my take on this album (bar Tommy...) has altered since release. I didn't really like 'Inner Ear Rupture' or 'Holy Barbarians' before but now think they sit really well within the scheme of things. That whole run from A Growing Disgust into Leon and then Holy Barbarians is my favourite part of the record.

Metalhead Cow

I really dig Holy Barbarians, especially after seeing it live in person and on youtube. It was really cool to see how they approached it in a live setting-it comes off  like a weird  melvinsy lounge song-the weird bass line, the timing of the song and of the drum hits, the timing of Buzz's sparse guitar lines. the "operation lee" (or whatever he says) parts where the song gets kind of tense and crescendos (while Trevor plucks the strings from underneath)-it's all just really quirky and cool. I think Holy Barbarians is a good example of the musical talent these guys have. They could have just recorded the song as a performance as how they play it live. But they made the studio version and live version there own separate creations, yet both instantly recognizable as the same song. I've always liked how this band has approached studio vs. live-In the case of Holy Barbarians the studio version is more ethereal and everything's more distant sounding. It kind of sounds like swarms of birds or locusts are coming. These guys know how to create good moods in the studio, and how to tear it up live.

Metalhead Cow

So I've had a lot of time to figure this out, but I think my favorite song from the album is Baby Won't You Weird Me Out.  :) Mr. Rip Off is a close second.

(((O)))

Quote from: Metalhead Cow on February 27, 2013, 01:05:22 AM
I really dig Holy Barbarians
It was one i thought sucked at first yet now i love it too. Although in contrast to your observation i always sing "operation-ing" tho.  :oops:

black stallion

These guys know how to create good moods in the studio, and how to tear it up live.

totally

Metalhead Cow

Quote from: )))((( on February 27, 2013, 05:06:08 AM
It was one i thought sucked at first yet now i love it too. Although in contrast to your observation i always sing "operation-ing" tho.  :oops:

Who knows what he's actually saying? It's something like "ing", "e", "lee"... it's a mystery  8)

Fureon Nectarmoon

Quote from: Metalhead Cow on February 27, 2013, 03:29:15 PM
Quote from: )))((( on February 27, 2013, 05:06:08 AM
Who knows what he's actually saying? It's something like "ing", "e", "lee"... it's a mystery  8)
I hear "operationese"...

black stallion

i think Mr Rip Off is one of the best songs Buzz wrote in recent years

meezer

Quote from: black stallion on March 07, 2014, 01:35:22 PM
It's pretty wicked, how it sounds like he's working a whammy bar on that track. I spent the whole summer leading up to that show wondering how he would play that live. No whammy, but still a very strange technique of shaking his hand on the fretboard. He's the master of that.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

black stallion

Quote from: meezer on March 07, 2014, 11:15:55 PM
Quote from: black stallion on March 07, 2014, 01:35:22 PM
It's pretty wicked, how it sounds like he's working a whammy bar on that track. I spent the whole summer leading up to that show wondering how he would play that live. No whammy, but still a very strange technique of shaking his hand on the fretboard. He's the master of that.

i can totally see what you mean

JUDY

Random find while flipping through VNA magazine  8)
It's a great international mag, printed on heavy set paper. Not cheap stuff.
I needed this for research and bought it on a whim. Total surprise finding this inside!!

There's a small article on Skinner called THE PSYCHEDELIC DOOMSLAYER and this is one of the featured photos used. No mention of the mighty Melvins, unfortunately, but still pretty cool.