Melvins Lite - Freak Puke

Started by connor272, February 16, 2012, 12:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Fester

i have been listening to it all day at work. I can't get enough of it... it's the most refreshing melvins album yet. they are even back to doing their weird timing kind of stuff... like on holy barbarian.
Trevor belongs.

FartLips

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on June 01, 2012, 11:06:15 AM
Quote from: ZAPPAJOE on June 01, 2012, 08:56:37 AM
Anyone notice that "Inner Ear Rupture" is the same structure as "Eruption" by Van Halen . . . and the word play in the titles too ?

Yeah. 

Trevor adds something that makes this thing feel different than any other record of theirs.  The constant movement wouldn't be the same without his phrasing. 

Though I admit that I have been imagining what Kevin would have done. 

One high hat.  Two sticks.  Two feet.  More space in the picture.  I can breathe and feel the sway in these tunes.  That is probably close to impossible with two drummers, even drummers as good as Dale and Coady.  DALE on his own!  It's a sound and a feeling I have missed in a weird way, and I didn't realize it completely until listening to this record. 

Anyone reading this should know that the records that have been made with Coady are some of the best things this band has ever done, in my horrible opinion.  Goddamn it though, I love to hear Dale swing sticks.     

=D>
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

Pound4abrown

Quote from: Helen83 on June 01, 2012, 03:53:52 PM
Quote from: Pound4abrown on June 01, 2012, 03:50:35 PM
Its a good time to be a Melvins fan.

It's ALWAYS been a good time to be a Melvins fan......even when they release something we don't particularly love to bits.

Hard to argue that. Though I suppose you could argue that the years with no new album are a bit sad.

Pound4abrown

Quote from: Uncle Fester on June 01, 2012, 06:06:01 PM
i have been listening to it all day at work. I can't get enough of it... it's the most refreshing melvins album yet. they are even back to doing their weird timing kind of stuff... like on holy barbarian.
Trevor belongs.

Holy Barbarians, great song. It was the first one to really perk my ears up upon first listen.

TheSwingSet

Finally caved and took my first listen.....i really hope they release all 50 or so songs they recorded with Dunn.....fucking LOVING this album!
I am really thinking of incorporating the cover into my two-headed Houdini/Kozik sleeve....either that or start a Mackie sleeve on my left arm.

anyways....hope everyone enjoys the beastly oddity that is FREAK PUKE.
"SwingSet you look like a bunch of guys I know in Ireland.  It's a particular  look I can't describe.  A sort of don't fuck with me or I'll kill you look.
I mean all this in the nicest possible way of course"
--conj

Pound4abrown

Quote from: TheSwingSet on June 01, 2012, 09:39:46 PM
Finally caved and took my first listen.....i really hope they release all 50 or so songs they recorded with Dunn.....fucking LOVING this album!
I am really thinking of incorporating the cover into my two-headed Houdini/Kozik sleeve....either that or start a Mackie sleeve on my left arm.

anyways....hope everyone enjoys the beastly oddity that is FREAK PUKE.

Was there concrete verification of that many songs recorded with Dunn?

TheSwingSet

seems like there was an interview floating around recently that stated that many songs were recorded.....someone help me prove i am not getting that old and senile, por favor?!?!
"SwingSet you look like a bunch of guys I know in Ireland.  It's a particular  look I can't describe.  A sort of don't fuck with me or I'll kill you look.
I mean all this in the nicest possible way of course"
--conj

Pound4abrown

Quote from: TheSwingSet on June 01, 2012, 09:52:34 PM
seems like there was an interview floating around recently that stated that many songs were recorded.....someone help me prove i am not getting that old and senile, por favor?!?!

I had heard somewhere something about it too, but I thought it was just a rumor; but based on this album, I would really dig hearing more from this particular line-up.

Captain CoryCory

Heard the AOL (They're still around!?) stream... In a tiny aspect it feels like more of the same. Take out the upright bass and put in Big Business and one or two of these songs would fit right in with that lineup. Maybe I'm crazy but that's the vibe I get from tunes like Mr. Rip Off and A Growing Distaste/Disgust.

Yet at the same time that upright bass really gives it a distinctive feel and really kicks in the twisted perspective of Lite. I was expecting something along the lines of Bootlicker. This is closer to another Honky in some ways with a rawer, simpler experimentation. It feels very grunge-like to me as well.

Favorite tunes so far? The title track. Baby, Won't You Weird Me Out. Leon vs. The Revolution. Holy Barbarian. Tommy Goes Berserk.

Starts off a little slow but by track two or three I was sold. And the ending after Tommy Goes Berserk got me laughing too.

Bigval

Quote from: TheSwingSet on June 01, 2012, 09:52:34 PM

I'm pretty sure I read Buzz saying in an interview Melvins-Lite recorded about 50 songs or something and in true Melvins fashion he said most if not all of them will be released eventually.

Bigval

I haven't yet heard a single song off of Freak Puke but am about to go and put it on my new entertainment system to listen to for the first time, reasonably cranked the tenants in the other flats be damned.

I'll report my findings in 40 minutes or so.

Metalhead Cow

Quote from: Bigval on June 02, 2012, 12:20:55 AM
I haven't yet heard a single song off of Freak Puke but am about to go and put it on my new entertainment system to listen to for the first time, reasonably cranked the tenants in the other flats be damned.

I'll report my findings in 40 minutes or so.

Looking forward to your thoughts. Is your profile picture from the toolbox murders?

Bigval

Quote from: Metalhead Cow on June 02, 2012, 01:16:15 AM
Looking forward to your thoughts. Is your profile picture from the toolbox murders?

Scorpio from Dirty Harry  :)

To be honest I thought Freak Puke was pretty ordinary. I had relatively high hopes after seemingly returning to form with The Bulls & The Bees EP but the only song on there I rated was Let Me Roll It (?). I had to put TB&TB on afterwards just to make sure I wasn't imagining things and yeah that EP is outstanding and unfortunately shits all over FP.

After TBSM I never would've thought a new BB recording would be awesome and the Trevor Dunn one disappointing.

anaconda

bah!! what do u know, you like Ministry's Relapse album!!!!!  :) :o :lol: :-s

Mad Arab

Freak Puke is more to the true form of Melvins weirdness and jamming than what they have done in recent years. This is not in anyway denigrating their releases with Coady and Jared I like them too. But being a long time fan, Freak Puke is more of what I am used to coming from them.

The only thing I would like to see coming from the dual drumming of Dale and Coady is more independent drumwork rather than both doing the same thing. If you are just going to do the same thing always, then whats the point of having two drummers?  Play around with right channel and left channel sweeps to really mess around with headphone users or listening on stereos and mp3 players.  There is just so much you can do with two drummers than playing in sync the same things.