Author Topic: 19 September - Buzz Interview - Dover, NH  (Read 1664 times)

Offline jules

• Onion Ringoes
  • A bad mouth betrays a bad mind
    • View Profile
19 September - Buzz Interview - Dover, NH
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
http://m.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120919/ENTERTAIN/209190303/1006/ENTERTAIN&template=wapart

Record pace: 51 shows in 51 days tour brings The Melvins to Seacoast
By Christopher Hislop
features@seacoastonline.com
September 19, 2012 - 2:00 AM

Creeping up on nearly 30 years, and influencing a vast array of musicians throughout their career, the Melvins (formed in Montesano, Wash., in 1983) are still crafting innovative records, and always looking for ways to keep things fresh.

Most recently, the band is looking to set a Guinness World Record as the only group to tour all 50 states (and Washington, D.C.) in 51 days. Yes, 51 shows in 51 days — including a stop in Dover, N.H. at the Brickhouse on Saturday, Sept. 29. Quite a torrid pace that might otherwise be better suited for a younger act, but for front man Buzz Osborne and co., those words are meaningless.

"You're right, we are creeping up on 30 years here," said Osborne in a recent phone interview. "And let me stress, heavy on the creeping (laughs). We're always looking for ways to challenge ourselves. We're always working hard, which is an aesthetic that seems far removed from many of today's younger bands. There's this strange sense of entitlement in bands today that I just don't understand. What happened to the sentiment of busting your a— to get somewhere? Then again, there's nothing about the music industry that isn't strange to me."

The Melvins call the current incarnation of their lineup Melvins Lite. It consists of Osborne (guitar, vocals), Dale Crover (drums, vocals), and Trevor Dunn (standup bass and vocals). The group recorded and released "Freak Puke," a fine collection of tunes in which you'll still hear the Melvins' distinct metallic sludge in heavy doses, but packaged in a more jazz-oriented framework. Note: the term jazz is used loosely in this context. They're out in support of "Freak Puke," on this 51 in 51 jaunt around the country, which seems fitting, because pushing to the extreme often ends in puking freakishly.

"We've been planning this for a long time," said Osborne. "The idea was to do something we had never done before with a recording, and it worked perfectly. Mission accomplished. Now it's time to get on the road and forward this music to the live setting. Hence the freakish tour schedule."

And to that I would say, look, we're not a bunch of old women. We're pros. We're like a professional football team. All those other bands, those are high school football teams. They're weak. We don't square off against them because what's the point. What high school team that you know of would take a chance lining up against a pro team and expect a positive result? They wouldn't. That equals death. To me, it's all relative. Look, we're not coal miners. To them, we're weak. To them, we don't even exist. That's a difficult job. All we have to do is cruise around and plug in our amps, which doesn't seem so bad when you look at what they have to look forward to on a daily basis. Again, it's all relative."

The Melvins' gig at the Brickhouse will also mark the band's first ever performance in the Granite State. Along with New Hampshire, the tour sees them playing North Dakota, Delaware, Alaska and Hawaii for the very first time.

"We've been through New Hampshire a bunch of times," said Osborne. "Seems like a beautiful place. It's just been bad luck that we haven't played there before. But, all that's about to change, so, well, look out (laughs). I'm looking forward to all these shows...; I'm really looking forward to New Hampshire and the other states we haven't hit yet."

And this Dover show is quite a big deal on several levels. Yes, it's their first time in the state; yes they've been making noise for three decades...; The Melvins represent a major piece of music history. Osborne was the bassist in Kurt Cobain's first band, Fecal Matter. Dale Crover sat behind the kit and helped craft Nirvana's first album "Bleach." Osborne is responsible for introducing Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic to Dave Grohl. They influenced nearly every band from the grunge era, and have an expanded outreach that includes bands such as Tool, Boris, (the late) Isis, and Mastodon. The list is endless.

"Ah yeah, the history is all well and fine," said Osborne. "We've done some things. We've had some luck. We've made some good friends. I just feel fortunate to do what I do. It's not easy to make money playing music. It's incredibly hard. You spend a lot of time just spinning your wheels. We've been lucky enough to pay our living expenses, and to have a lot of fun along the way. What I'd really like to do is become a paid philosopher. Or find a job that pays you to critique critics. I would annihilate that job. But, until that day, I'll keep doing what I'm doing, because ultimately, that's what makes me happy. If you're a part of it, cool. If not, cool. I don't really care what people think. That's not why I'm here. That's the plain and honest truth. At the end of the day, we're just a group of ugly weirdos. That's just the way it is, it's the way it's always been, and it's the way it will always be."

What happens after this record-setting tour comes to a close? Osborne jokes that they'll map out the next year into a series of 52 shows. One show a week for an entire year. Or, he's keen on the idea of the format '30 minutes for 30 bucks.' The more obvious answer is, the Melvins will keep plugging along, and doing what they do (which is generally the unexpected).

"Listen, we're excited to be playing for you," Osborne said. "We're excited to play for anybody at all — drunk or not. I'm friendly with anyone that isn't a (jerk), so don't be a jerk. Let me preface the gig by saying this: Expect absolutely nothing. Leave your expectations on the couch. Come with a clean slate. When something then happens, be amazed. Oh, and yes, I realize my hair is crazy. You don't have to remind me of it. We look like loonies. I get it. I've heard it before. Let's let the music do the talking, eh? We're nice people on the inside (laughs long and loud)."
'Anything doused in any kind of curry is great'  -  spunkmonkey

'Life is silly. The appropriate response is laughter' - amazonAMAZON

Offline pottlukk

• former bassist
    • View Profile
Re: 19 September - Buzz Interview - Dover, NH
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 10:22:44 AM »
Got to meet them after the Dover, NH show.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline pottlukk

• former bassist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 10:24:47 AM »
Got to meet them after the Dover, NH show part II

Offline pottlukk

• former bassist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 10:25:57 AM »
Part III

(((O)))

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:52:24 AM »
Cool. Some great Melvins facial expressions going on there!