Melvins in Boston

Started by Vcavallo, September 16, 2004, 09:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vcavallo

hey fellers.  I drove 3 1/2 hours and 230 miles (one way!) down from school and back in the same night to see my fucking melvins and it was worth every minute of the seven hours of delirious driving...
have to go to class now, will post a review later.  was anyone else there??
Vinney "only takes 15 years to make good on his promises" Cavallo

Hippo-Eki

I was there, it was fucking great! Does anyone know the set list from the show? I didn't recognize a few of the songs and want to track them down. Thanks.

Vcavallo

the set list was exactly the same as the other nights you can read about on the board, except in a different order.

sousauce

i was initiated into the ungodly domain of the melvins' live experience last night...and i'll tell you what, them there boys really know how to mercilessly bludgeon an audience.  their pounding riffs were so relentlessly overpowering that i saw two girls being pulled limp from the crowd, they caught the fever...or had the spirit...maybe buzzo's fro sent them into orgasmic convulsions until they finally went limp.  the crowd was definitely restless though, pitting during drones and whatnot.  one particular messed up dread fell flat on his ass twice, just keeled over like a once raging hard-on that had finished it's business and had nowhere to go but down, nearly taking out a few unsuspecting lads in the process.  this dread continued to needlessly mosh about though during the sludgin' distorted noise kevin was pushing out of his cabinets, leaning against his rig making it sound as though his speakers were ripping apart.  it was phenabulous, utter elation i's tellin' ya.

what parts of the set didn't you recognize there H.E., not sure if i can help you but i think i remember everything they played, maybe :-k

sousauce

let's see....

let it all be
bar-X the rocking M
       this is when the crowd starts swaying a bit, they're getting restless
queen
       eruputs into a full on mosh
i wanna hold your hand
bloated pope
POTRE
        crushing rendition, anyone not pleased with the album versh (not
        me) needs to see the live treatment of these washing winds and
        swirling clicks.....crushing, fookin' monsterous!!!  it seemed like
        they were riffing on something else from the POTRE album towards
        the end of this lengthy piece but it have only been borrowing riffs or
        my imagination.  
the bloat
the fool, the meddling idiot
        i think it was around this time that kevin brought out the pipe, and
        curtsied as he was swinging his mallot, smacking the microphone
        turning the place into one big bass cavity.
lovely butterflies
nightgoat
black stooge
        complete with dale doing a mumble mouth solo during his drum
        solo for the nights closer

no jello....no encore....but buzzo did treat the kids to a psuedo-politico rap on why we should invade canada, which was really keen, he seemed to be a really good mood, laughing'n'joshin'....turns out black stooge is dale's favorite song to play this time out and that kevin is not that happy, or indifferent moreso, to the song.

i know the first two, and last two songs are correct in the set, but everything else is a bit of a blur, and i'm probably forgetting something that i didn't recognize.... #-o

FartLips

Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

Beto Brasil

Quote from: FART W. LIPSNO JELLO!?!?!?! :shock:

thanks God!!
Melvins dont need Jello... :roll:
Trading music since 1999 :

Update : http://www.themelvins.net/beto/DVD.htm

Vcavallo

i think you got it all, buddy.  i saw that dumbass fucking dreadhead bashing about up there too.  where were you?  

Buzz had the following to say, " i want to thank anyone that came down from portland maine...and anyone that came from canada, i figured there would only be a few of you...i think we should invade canada..(cheers)...they definitely wouldn't see it comin', i'll tell ya that much! (he was pleased with this joke)  from there we'll go straight to the north pole!!  i went to the north pole once..when i was in the Navy we went underneath the north pole in a nuclear-powered submarine.  but they made me sign a paper not to talk about it for Sevennnnty-fiiiivvve (buzz's comical slur that can be heard in interviews) years! so don't ask me any more about that....our last song is from our (here he waves his hands in front of his face and hunches over a bit while raising his voice in excitement ) HOSTILE AMBIENT TAKEOVER album!! It's dale's favorite song..you know, DALE CROVER...  Kevin doesn't like this one too much, but it's all a matter of personal opinion i guess, so that's fine..thank you goodnight!"  

it was something very very much to that effect.  i might have some words or placement of words a bit off, but i am pretty sure this is very accurate.  i usually have a horrible memory but this stuck in there pretty well.  i guess after seeing the melvins LITERALLY RUN on and off stage for the past three years has primed me to remember any words that buzz may say at a concert.  

enjoy, my friends!

Duke of Prunes

Yeah, the guy with dreads was a cunt. I took many a dread in the eye that night and at one point he was rubbing his head on my elbow. Fucker.
They also played Tipping the Lion and the Fool, the Meddling Idiot. I think you got everything else.
Damn good show. Anyone tape it?

sousauce

i was straight center about two to four rows of peeps from the stage depending on the ferociousness of the pitting....that's the only good thing about the moshing, as soon as it starts it opens up access to get closer to the stage.  i felt like a buoy in a sea of heads, i'm about 6'4" and a little beefy so i had a great vantage point to see the show.  i always feel hesitant about making my way to the front of the stage 'cuz i feel like i'm blocking too much viewing space for the people behind me, but this was my first live melvins experience, and i needed it all, so fuck'em.  the only thing i couldn't get a glimpse of was kevin's pedal board, i was very interested in how he achieves those swirling looped patterns.  i know it's probably some kind of sampler but which one-what-kind-how's-he-doin'-that?!??!

Vcav....you remembered buzzo's speech strictly from memory?  that's friggin' impressive, man.  now that i've read that, it seems like that's pretty much what he said, exactly.  wow!

sousauce

Beto, there's always room for Jello.... :lol:

Tyler

Quotethe only thing i couldn't get a glimpse of was kevin's pedal board, i was very interested in how he achieves those swirling looped patterns. i know it's probably some kind of sampler but which one-what-kind-how's-he-doin'-that?!??!

I was at the Detroit show and had a pretty good view of Kevin's board.   He had a Line6 Delay pedal to sample and loop himself on the fly.  Couldn't make out the other pedals though...

sousauce

thanks for the  :shock: and info. tyler....

andy the angry bald man

i was there.  fuckin AMAZING show, i'm still thinking about how awesome it was.  anyone tape it?  video or audio?