Everybody Loves Sausages

Started by black stallion, February 08, 2013, 12:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yanayaya

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on April 08, 2013, 11:30:44 PM
Quote from: Yanayaya on April 08, 2013, 09:38:16 PM
I find it very helpful to not compare the Melvins version ... I have to appreciate the Melvins version for it's own sake.  I am not in the camp that everything they cover is better than the original.  How could it be??  You have to have been there to experience the original, or it's just kind of meaningless.  It's a wonderful little tribute is all. Very few performers can really "own" someone else's work. 

True ... though I think Melvins have done a pretty good job at "owning" some of the covers they've adopted over the years. The Coop tunes, or Sacrifice spring to mind ... and they certainly give the Thin White Duke his due here ... that being said I do miss the silky elegance of the second half from Bowie's original ... Melvins take doesn't nail that disco cocaine satin vibe with quite the same vogue.

Quote from: Yanayaya on April 08, 2013, 09:48:47 PM
He (Bowie) also has the unique ability to assemble all the right players to make himself shine!!  Stealing Belew like that was a bit wicked, don'tcha think??!!  We're sooooo glad he did!!

Most certainly. While Bowie is indeed the shit, surrounding himself with giants doesn't hurt ... and while Belew is a full on class A mutant; lets not forget Mr. Slick and the great Carlos Alomar ... who together birthed this classic's dementia and silky elegance respectively.

I can only assume that you have never seen Alice Cooper (especially the original Alice Cooper Band??!!  My Gawd!!  They were phenomenal!!! Check out Neil Smith on drums... I seriously doubt that The Melvins, themselves would ever compare themselves to these Rawk Giants!!  Please give their old records a spin.  I don't believe Melvins were even trying to copy the originals.  Just present their tribute...
Al que está vivo todo le falta y al que está muerto todo le sobra.

Yanayaya

Please don't get me started on Roxy Music!  Especially Brian Eno...

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: Yanayaya on April 13, 2013, 04:30:37 PM
I can only assume that you have never seen Alice Cooper (especially the original Alice Cooper Band??!!  My Gawd!!  They were phenomenal!!! Check out Neil Smith on drums... I seriously doubt that The Melvins, themselves would ever compare themselves to these Rawk Giants!!  Please give their old records a spin.  I don't believe Melvins were even trying to copy the originals.  Just present their tribute...

What would give you this idea? It couldn't be more off base ... I am a HUGE fan of the original Cooper band. Never got the chance to see 'em. I was born the year Killer dropped. But I was raised on those early records. My parents were big fans. They have a photo of me ... I'm about 3 with huge old 70's headphones on ... it's probably Alice Cooper Band (or The Mothers) I'm groovin' to. My dad saw many of the early Detroit era shows and shit and has told me many stories of the even then awesomely inventive stage shows the band threw down. In fact their copy of Killer has my birth circled on the included calender. Yeah, those early records man ... Love It To Death & Killer especially are as a part of my childhood as any cartoon, toy, or nightmare ... and still resonate today just as strong.  I've spun those records literally thousands and thousands of times over. 

I remember when Lysol dropped and ... Ballad of Dwight Fry?!!! Man, that was so cool. Melvins were my favorite band even then and to find out they dug the 'Coop?!! And paid it in full ... Awesome!

Quote from: Yanayaya on April 13, 2013, 04:34:06 PM
Please don't get me started on Roxy Music!  Especially Brian Eno...

And yeah Roxy was another big one round the house ... saw 'em live when I was five.
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: )))((( on April 13, 2013, 04:45:25 PM
Quote from: Mount Ambulance on April 09, 2013, 05:10:23 PM
Dude drinks his own piss for health reasons!
Apparently you need to filter it first somehow. Take out the toxins or something.

you've come by this invaluable life lesson how? via Google? Or perhaps a stomach ache ... or something?

(PAUL)

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on April 13, 2013, 06:09:09 PM
Apparently you need to filter it first somehow. Take out the toxins or something.

you've come by this invaluable life lesson how? via Google? Or perhaps a stomach ache ... or something?

Apparently if you spend any time in Australia it comes up.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: (PAUL) on April 13, 2013, 06:34:31 PM

What you talkin' 'bout Willis? I lived in Australia for a time. I can't remember it coming up, much less going down.

(PAUL)

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on April 13, 2013, 08:16:23 PM

What you talkin' 'bout Willis? I lived in Australia for a time. I can't remember it coming up, much less going down.

Maybe I've been reading too much Bill Bryson but he had a book about Australia and people wandering the middle part of the country/continent and drinking their pee to try and survive.

Anyways, anyone hear the cover of Romance yet? If not here it is: http://social.entertainment.msn.com/music/blogs/blog--exclusive-track-premiere-the-melvins-romance

And here's some more reviews:
http://www.craveonline.com/music/reviews/476631-album-review-the-melvins-everybody-loves-sausages
http://puregrainaudio.com/reviews/the-melvins-everybody-loves-sausages
http://www.pinpointmusic.com/the-melvins-everybody-loves-sausages/
Hail, not fail.

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: (PAUL) on April 13, 2013, 08:22:11 PM
Quote from: Mount Ambulance on April 13, 2013, 08:16:23 PM

Maybe I've been reading too much Bill Bryson but he had a book about Australia and people wandering the middle part of the country/continent and drinking their pee to try and survive.

In A Sunburned Land ... yeah, I've read that. Don't recall the pee pee tea story ... but that's pretty standard desert last ditch shit ... no matter what sand your lost in.

Yanayaya

A sneak peek...

[attachment deleted by admin]

(PAUL)

Are those gonna be out before they're done with the Sugar Daddy 12"s?
Hail, not fail.

(the) flutter nuts

I got the shits real bad.

TosT

oh wow those are beautiful!!! and who doesn't love clowns. now that they're all grown up anyway

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: (the) flutter nuts on April 13, 2013, 10:07:03 PM
Quote from: Yanayaya on April 13, 2013, 09:29:36 PM
A sneak peek...

Oh fuck!!!

where did you find these?
It's from facebook.  The next question: WHICH FACEBOOK page??
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

(the) flutter nuts

I got the shits real bad.

Dan_Halen

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 15, 2013, 02:18:46 PM
Quote from: (the) flutter nuts on April 13, 2013, 10:07:03 PM
Quote from: Yanayaya on April 13, 2013, 09:29:36 PM
A sneak peek...

Oh fuck!!!

where did you find these?
It's from facebook.  The next question: WHICH FACEBOOK page??

Got me, checked Haze, Amrep, Melvins, Walsby and Mackie. Cover art is awesome as usual...good point though Paul. I hope they bust out the last 5 Sugar Daddy 12s first...ahh the never ending saga of the Sugar Daddys!  :lol:
Los ticka toe rest