The Melvins in Carrboro, NC

Started by CaptainPungent, September 21, 2004, 01:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainPungent

The Melvins did an awesome job at the Cats Cradle in Carrboro, North Carolina.  I have never been to a Melvins show, but let me tell you one thing...it was the best fucking show I've been to ever.  If you were there that night, you might have seen me, I was the young kid with long black hair and glasses, I dont know if that will clarify who I am because I know there are a lot of other kids that look like that.  Well, Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsant did an excellent job opening up.  He said that we were the best audience he has had so far on the tour.  I have not heard there music previously, but damn... they are great musicians.  And the guitarist for them, she is so hot, and the drummer was excellent but at one point he looked like he was about to pass out.  Then when they were done with their set, Melvins started setting up.  Oh and by the way, I met Buzz and Dale before the show and they are very friendly people...they said hello to me, and I was star-struck by the rock gods.  The Melvins came out finally and played a few songs.  It is the loudest I've ever heard a band play, and they sure did a fucking awesome job, if I may add.  When they played queen, it sounded just like it did on stoner witch, but even better.  From then on that night people were moshing, and it was the first time I have ever been actually in it.  I had a blast, and Buzz talked to us and made a few jokes, he was really cool.  I had wished to see them after the show, and I waited for them for about 10 minutes.  When most of the audience left or went outside, it seemed to be that they werent there anymore.  I understand them leaving if they did, because touring is very difficult and if they were to talk to people, they would be there till the morning.  Ah...I guess I will have to wait till next year to get a photo with them and possibly get an autograph...but I'm glad I got to talk to them a little bit before the show.  I took some great pics because I was right in front of Buzz, so when I get them developed, sometime I will post them.  It was the best fucking show I've ever seen, and I can't wait for them to come back and play again.

zubata

Amps To 11

Yes, it was a good night. my 5th time seeing the melvins at the cats cradle and by far the heaviest. The last couple times were more rocking compared to this set, which had more of an experimental feel to it, which is fine by me. When they went into that 15 minute drone piece in the middle of the set, I thought I was going shit myself. Then they came out of it with that huge build up that led into Buzzo actually talking to the crowd for once (the first time in a long time I have heard Buzzo speak at a show). They sounded tight but really weird at the same time and thats what I love about the melvins, how they confuse me sometimes. Trevor Dunn's trio was incredible and I got to meet him afterward, very nice cat. good times...

instantlarry

wow, what a show. thats all i can really say. i was the guy in the wheelchair in the front. i was realy impressed with the trevor dunn trio. i bought a copy of neither here nor there, and luckily caught buzz in the parking lot. he was extremely nice and signed my book. i was starstruck as well. the crowd was really chill. its definetly in my top 5 shows of all time if not the best. i was blown away. :twisted:

VaticanShotglass

I was there too.  Great fucking show.  I saw them there in 2002 for the H.A.T. tour as well.  Both shows were amazing.  Great vibe.  I was wondering... was it just me or did they play some songs twice?  Like I think I hear Bloated Pope and maybe lovely butterflies (still in my head) at least twice.  It doesn't matter as the effect was awsome none the less, I just want to know if I'm outta my head on that.  Which is very possible as I drove 3 hours from boone, NC to the show and then 3 hours back, crawling in my dorm at around quarter till 5:00am.  I gotta stop doing that, i was so tired on the way back one of the arrows on the road lanes flew up off the ground formed a dove and flew off to space.  Great fucking show though, plenty of my favorite songs were played.  Like the last song they did, lovely butterflies, um, and a lot more.  In fact I need some sleep now.

Amps To 11

Instant Larry - I remember you, I was sitting on the PA speaker right in front of you. Hope I didn't block your view. Glad you had a good time. I wish I would have stuck around to get Buzzo to sign my book but my friends had to go. Next time I am meeting buzz though!

Vatican- I don't think they played any songs twice. they did play one of the songs off HAT at warp speed though, kind of fucked with my head a little.

did you guys see when Kevin kicked that girls purse onstage and her cell phone and shit went flying everywhere? THat was odd. anyway, good show.

CaptainPungent

I was one of the first to arrive at the club, I was very lucky to atleast meet and talk to Buzz and Dale.  Buzz had to get some things out of the U-Haul or whatever it was so we conversed.  Then later I saw Dale in the club and I waved at him and he waved back.  Later he came by and he said hello.  It was cool.  Hopefully next year if they come I will have enough sense to either get a pic with them or an autograph.  That will be cool.  I remember you also Instant Larry.  Ive heard they have been playing at the Cat's Cradle for a while, so I will be waiting the next time they come, they put on a great show.  

The Melvins have so many cd's...it's crazy man.  I only have 7 of their cd's, and half of the songs they played I havent heard from the cd's I have.  I wish there were more places that stocked their albums, b/c then I'd have a shitload...its so hard to find them.

CaptainPungent

I forgot I already said I met them, I'm one fucking idiot.