Cincinnati, OH 5-29-2013

Started by Captain CoryCory, May 29, 2013, 07:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain CoryCory

A music store guy asked me why they ain't playing Bogart's. I'm not asking any questions. It's the Melvins in a place similar to the Louisville Palace.

VaticanShotglass

I had fun, but I'm tired.  The Lysol and Eggnog stuff was the highlight for me.  Lots of technical malfunctions.  Buzz's amp crapped out mid song, but Jarred had a gold star moment where he vocalized the guitar part while continuing to play bass.  That was great.

Had several old man moments when watching the kids mosh.  Fucking moshing.  One asshat decided to stage dive where only a few of us were standing.  We all stepped to the side, but I still caught impact, mostly deflected.  I think he face planted.  He was too fucked up to notice me flip him off.  Lots of spilled beer.

Good times.

Captain CoryCory

Quote from: VaticanShotglass on May 29, 2013, 11:43:39 PM
I had fun, but I'm tired.  The Lysol and Eggnog stuff was the highlight for me.  Lots of technical malfunctions.  Buzz's amp crapped out mid song, but Jarred had a gold star moment where he vocalized the guitar part while continuing to play bass.  That was great.

Had several old man moments when watching the kids mosh.  Fucking moshing.  One asshat decided to stage dive where only a few of us were standing.  We all stepped to the side, but I still caught impact, mostly deflected.  I think he face planted.  He was too fucked up to notice me flip him off.  Lots of spilled beer.

Good times.

Finally back in Louisville myself and I'm beat! What a kick-ass show, though!

That asshat was hilarious and we ourselves got a hysterical laugh at that. There's some shows where there's just not enough of a crowd to be doing that shit. Eventually, he got thrown out. Honestly, it was a fantastic set and all of my friends who missed it missed a helluva show! The highlights for me had to have been the following:
- Meeting Mr. Walsby again
- The entire first set and watching the hipsters, metalheads and kids mosh to Hung Bunny (which with the crazy drum solos throughout mutate it into something less subtle)
- All of Eggnog live. Hog Leg in particular sounded really great compared to some live recordings I've heard of it.
- The brother/sister duo that united and did the ring-around-the-rosie mosh during Honey Bucket and Revolve, sending bodies flying everywhere and making the security people's night a living hell! Shit became a sinkhole.
- COW. Live. Half of Bullhead live, really. 
- Getting taken off guard by the slower songs of the second set (Hag Me, At the Stake). At the Stake in particular is intense live. A song I've always overlooked of theirs.
- Taking an old high school classmate to his very first live concert. That makes two people who got their first taste of live music via the Melvins that I know.

VaticanShotglass

Much agreed.  Loved the old stuff.  I went in blind not knowing what set to expect and it was brutal.  Loved the Lysol and Eggnog stuff.  Priceless.  I just wish I wasn't so exhausted when I got there.  Being a grown up sucks.  Oddly enough I popped out of bed ready to work early this morning so, that is good. 

79Shenanigans

Does anyone know where to find the intro that was playing when they'd come onto the stage that night?  Can't figure out what it's from?

Oscar

CoryCory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOFPUFkOpm0

Re-sharing as this is still the best Melvins set I've seen live.

Columbus 2016, Louisville 2012 and Louisville 2015 are also top contenders.

Helen83