Melvins Vs. Promoters Stories

Started by bUTTHOLEmAN, August 25, 2013, 07:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bUTTHOLEmAN

Walsby had an interesting post on facebook- I'm curious about the specifics.. he should do a book full of 'Melvins vs. Promoter'-stories.

QuoteThere is a treasure chest full of great stories involving the Melvins and a few dipshit promoters and venues, all of which revolve around the band more or less standing up for themselves and gladly walking when push came to shove. There have certainly been more than one occasion where the band was told that they would never work in some town EVER AGAIN (just like Hollywood!) only to be welcomed back gladly after some idiot promoter got canned or some "rock club" went bankrupt by a cooler more fair person/club. It is one of the reasons I admire them. They are the underdogs sticking up for the underdogs. I think people can sense that.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

laughingwlucifer65

i would love to hear some stories that pertain to this

jonE5

Satchel Paige

jules

Satchel Paige

Chief Ten Beers

I think there's a story in why Melvins haven't played Buffalo since '09.  Last time was that off night from the Down tour at Town Ballroom. Night before they were with Down in Rochester which was well attended. A lot of people left during Down's set(myself included). I couldn't wait to see Melvins again next night. The Buffalo show was Melvins(2 sets), with Weedeater opening and was pretty poorly attended. Previous two times in Buffalo - '06 & '08 were good turnouts. From what I understand, local promoter was also a member of some local generic stoner-rock band who wanted to open. When they were told no locals, they decided to barely promote the show. Faggots.
There were literally like 8 people watching Weedeater's set, and maybe 50-100 tops by the time Melvins hit stage. Still one of the best shows I saw them play. Seriously, nobody even knew Weedeater were on. 6 months later Weedeater plays to a packed house at a smaller club, and that show was hyped up months in advance. That promoter has since folded, so hopefully the Melvins come through and get a better deal next time. If not, I'll gladly keep driving to Cleveland, Syracuse, or Rochester.

Dumpster D

Weedeater is a good band for sure! Saw them With Gates of slumber a few years back in Toronto!

awesome!

I definetly want to hear these Melvins Vs. promoter stories, Hell, most education I have ever gotten on the *REAL* music Industry!

Melvins stories and Interviews are my main staple because they are not inflated or biased, just the damn Truth, and sometimes Its definetly stranger than Fiction.

(PAUL)

Back in 2004 they were supposed to play at the Rave in Milwaukee but they had a similar situation where there were some local bands that were going to play beforehand, I'm not sure if they had to pay to play (the Rave is known to do that) or if the local bands were just not going to get paid. Anyways, one of those bands Droids Attack somehow got a hold of the Melvins "road manager" (whoever the heck that is) and asked some questions which caused the Melvins to call the Rave and cancel the show because they didn't want to have other openers and/or screw over local bands. Luckily I was able to go to the show the next day in Chicago, but it wasn't until last year that they started playing Milwaukee again, at a different, better venue.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

badhatharry

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on August 26, 2013, 04:06:42 PM
I think there's a story in why Melvins haven't played Buffalo since '09.  Last time was that off night from the Down tour at Town Ballroom. Night before they were with Down in Rochester which was well attended. A lot of people left during Down's set(myself included). I couldn't wait to see Melvins again next night. The Buffalo show was Melvins(2 sets), with Weedeater opening and was pretty poorly attended. Previous two times in Buffalo - '06 & '08 were good turnouts. From what I understand, local promoter was also a member of some local generic stoner-rock band who wanted to open. When they were told no locals, they decided to barely promote the show. Faggots.
There were literally like 8 people watching Weedeater's set, and maybe 50-100 tops by the time Melvins hit stage. Still one of the best shows I saw them play. Seriously, nobody even knew Weedeater were on. 6 months later Weedeater plays to a packed house at a smaller club, and that show was hyped up months in advance. That promoter has since folded, so hopefully the Melvins come through and get a better deal next time. If not, I'll gladly keep driving to Cleveland, Syracuse, or Rochester.

That Town Ballroom show was one of my favorites, just about a perfect setlist and Weedeater were a nice surprise. I'd prefer they keep coming back to Westcott in Syracuse, that seems like a great venue for them.

(the) flutter nuts

I hope they start playing Buffalo again, since they never come to Ontario , Buffalo is pretty close for me.
I got the shits real bad.

glen

Quote from: (PAUL) on August 26, 2013, 05:34:05 PM
Melvins "road manager" (whoever the heck that is)

prolly timothy moss in those days.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

fraxs

Quote from: badhatharry on August 26, 2013, 06:40:07 PM

That Town Ballroom show was one of my favorites, just about a perfect setlist and Weedeater were a nice surprise. I'd prefer they keep coming back to Westcott in Syracuse, that seems like a great venue for them.
I was very happy to see the Melvins play the Westcott. Parking in the area sucks but otherwise went well.

Also, anyone know why the Melvins never have a local opener?
http://www.geocities.com/fraxs37/flipper-main.html Flipper Live Guide

http://www.geocities.com/fraxs37/Melvins MelvinsLive Guide
Both down, returning whenever I get off my lazy ass.

Buckwheat

Quote from: fraxs on September 01, 2013, 08:54:30 PM

Also, anyone know why the Melvins never have a local opener?
just guessing, but they probably don't want to run the risk of having a crappy band play before them.