Birmingham, AL Zydeco 9/29/04

Started by Maggot, September 30, 2004, 12:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maggot

Well the Melvins finally made it back to Birmingham after 2 years (2??hmm). The last show I attended was last year in Athens so I have to say I was pumped up for this show. The show was at a small club (Zydeco) and only about 100 or so people showed up. We made it to the front of the stage with ease only to stand by some idiots that obviously did not pay to see the show or listen to the music. Instead they chose to talk through the entire TDTC set. The only thing mentioned about the band was the fact that the guitarist was a little cold  (.) (.)  True fans I tell you, true fans.
Anyhoo---After an hour of TDTC and after an hour delay THE KINGS finally stepped foot onstage. Buzzo walks over and turns everything up on his amp and within 5 seconds my ears are already shot. YES!!! Just what I have been waiting for.  The only bitch I have about this show (other than the few idiots that Bham crowds always attract) is the fact I could not hear Buzzo's vocals at all. I know the lyrics and still got lost.
Besides these few things the show ROCKED-KICKED ARS!!
Great set list even though I can't remember it all. They did not cover "I want to hold your hand" which I was waiting for all night. no big deal there because they ended it with the most awesome rock star of all time.. "Britney Spears"  talk about clearing the venue out after the show. That's one way to get it done fast.

Maggot

For those of you who don't know this book kicks major azz and is a purchase that must me made.

For those of you who haven't been to a Melvins show this is your chance to get great merchandise and a great price.

I think the book was 25.00
Cd's only 10.00  even for Pigs of the roman empire, which was spotted this week for $18.00, now that is jacked up!
posters can't remember but very cheap.
Same for the t-shirts.  I was unable tp purchase one!  :cry:
Anyone feeling sorry for me yet?

MELVINS ARE MY GOD!   :twisted:

ben138

I was at the Bham show last night and I can honestly say it was one of the best rock shows I've seen.  I have 2 disputes with Maggot's review, though.  I think he might have had trouble hearing the vocals because he was up front or something.  I was about halfway to the back in the center and I could hear Buzz fine.  Also, they did play "I Want to Hold Your Hand," because my buddies and I sang along.  Of course it was Melvinized so it was barely recognizable.  The guys were cool and didn't seem to mind talking to folks after the show.  Buzz disappeared, though and didn't even ride away in the van with everybody else.  Trevor was cool, too and he drove one of the vans, which was funny to see.  I'm not sure why, but Kevin signed my poster as "Dennis Dunnaway."  Who knows what's up with that?  I got a setlist from the stage. Here it is, word for word:

Let it All
--------
Tipping De Leon
Hold Hand
Queen
Par-X
Toady
Fool
--------
Bloated Pope
Pigs - O'
Safty - intro
--------
Bloat
noise
Goat
Lovely
--------
Stooges

Don't miss this tour because they are extra-tight and Buzzo's guitar tone is as good as I've heard it.

Maggot

:o so they did play it?  WOW! Like I said. I couldn't hear a thing. I moved all around the club and couldn't find a good spot. I finally found an ok spot by the merchandise and could hear ok. Maybe all the Melvins shows with out wearing my plugs are finally taking it's toll! WONDERFUL TO KNOW! I am going deaf!!
Were you able to make out the bass lines as well? I couldn't hear Kevin at all. Except for when he did back up vocals. I could hear both Kevin and dale just fine. Buzzos guitar was turned WAAAAY up, he didn't even have the amp mic'd.
What did you think of TDTC?

ALL IN ALL THE SHOW KICKED ASS!! And yes, buzzo was wild. I can't believe he actually talked to the crowd. I have never heard him talk to the crowd like that. AWESOME!

And you got Kevin's, ugh, Dennis's autograph, you lucky FAUKER.  :lol:
I waited around but never saw any of the guys from the Melvins. Chatted with Trevor for a sec and that's about it. I did see the van scene you're talking about. I walked out back with hopes of meeting KING BUZZO but too little too late.

Thanks for the list!

Maggot

"i want to hold your hand"  was that the little intro they played before Queen?   :?

blacksanta

Quote from: ben138I was at the Bham show last night and I can honestly say it was one of the best rock shows I've seen.  I have 2 disputes with Maggot's review, though.  I think he might have had trouble hearing the vocals because he was up front or something.  I was about halfway to the back in the center and I could hear Buzz fine.  Also, they did play "I Want to Hold Your Hand," because my buddies and I sang along.  Of course it was Melvinized so it was barely recognizable.  The guys were cool and didn't seem to mind talking to folks after the show.  Buzz disappeared, though and didn't even ride away in the van with everybody else.  Trevor was cool, too and he drove one of the vans, which was funny to see.  I'm not sure why, but Kevin signed my poster as "Dennis Dunnaway."  Who knows what's up with that?  I got a setlist from the stage. Here it is, word for word:

Let it All
--------
Tipping De Leon
Hold Hand
Queen
Par-X
Toady
Fool
--------
Bloated Pope
Pigs - O'
Safty - intro
--------
Bloat
noise
Goat
Lovely
--------
Stooges

Don't miss this tour because they are extra-tight and Buzzo's guitar tone is as good as I've heard it.

but Kevin signed my poster as "Dennis Dunnaway.

Dennis Dunnaway was the bass player for Alice Cooper (the band).
Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

thegrumpylil'hermit

overall, i was kinda disappointed with the show.  Id have to disagree on the comment about Buzz's guitar tone being better than ever....sounded quite harsh, and not in a good way, not very pleasing to the ear at all.  Its probably that darn JB he has in his Les Paul.  And im not nit-picking here, it started to really bother me after a while.  I could hear all the vocals loud and clear though.  Kevin's bass as well, although it did cut out at one point during the show which was very noticeable and demonstrated just how much bottom end he provides.  It was temporary though, no big deal.  I know ill probably be banned for saying this...but i think the Melvins are not what they once were as a live band.  This was my fourth time seeing them, and since ive been listening to and loving their records for quite a while now, i was hoping each time to be nothing short of blown away by their live performance(it seems like everyones always hyping them for their live shows), but ive felt sorta let down these last few times.  And its not that im unfamiliar with the material they covered....i recognized each and every song...but even in comparision to some old bootlegs ive heard from back in the day, it doesnt sound quite up to par with the vibe they once put off live.  Im not trying to rain on everyone's parade, just being honest, as i am STILL a big Melvins fan.But my only impression of them this time was that they were very loud, thats it.  And loud does not always necessarily = good.

They did in fact play "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"...just a shortened, heavy Melvinized version.

Buzz went off into some improvized banter before the last song....it went something like this(the most interesting part anyway):

"We wanna thank Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsant for joining us on tour!!....Earlier, Trevor told you guys this was their first time in Alabama...but thats not true, they were here earlier this year.....so, TREVOR DUNN IS A LIAR!!....but dont hate him cause hes a liar....maybe HES JUST STUPID!!...but dont hate him cause hes stupid....hate him cause he's from NEW YORK CITY!!  Actually, dont hate him cause hes from New York, hate Trevor Dunn cause HE'S A RACIST!!  Wait, dont hate him cause he's a racist, hate him cause HIS WIFE's A BITCH!!...."

Despite being let down by the Melvins, I was however pleasantly surprised with Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsant.  Which is odd, because i was planning on skipping out on them initially(i never even really liked Helmet, so Trevor Dunn's name didnt really attract my attention).  It was sort of a slow start but it turns out they have an amazing drummer and the music really grabs you if you allow yourself to get lost in it.  The only way i can describe it is a really weird, eerie and hypnotic-type jazz fusion with plenty of odd time changes.  I was right near the front of the stage on Trevor's end and remember hearing some guy with this really boneheadish Beavis-and-Butthead-type laugh criticizing the band and commenting to his friends on how he wouldnt mind if they cut their set short.  Somebody seriously should've taken a swing at this guy or any of these other goons that go to shows and work their way to the front of the stage only to stand back with their arms folded and insult the opening band to their faces.  You would think a Melvins' fan would have more patience and give the music a little bit more time to sink in.  Oh well, i guess this is pretty much the case at any show.

When its all over, ill still always come back to the Melvins.  There was no turning back after i finally "understood" Gluey Porch Treatments for the first time.  But i may think twice next time they come to town again and i have no money in my bank account and i have to scrounge around for 12 bucks for a ticket.  

Ill be lookin' further into Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsant as well.

Maggot

QuoteI was right near the front of the stage on Trevor's end and remember hearing some guy with this really boneheadish Beavis-and-Butthead-type laugh criticizing the band and commenting to his friends on how he wouldnt mind if they cut their set short.

Would this happen to be the guy with the Mohawk??????     :x

klump

once i payed almost 300 bucks to see the melvins...

benton netty

Quote from: thegrumpylil'hermit
(i never even really liked Helmet, so Trevor Dunn's name didnt really attract my attention)

heh, shouldn't have anyway -- trevor dunn wasn't in helmet! :lol:

CaptainPungent

thats right, he was in mr. bungle

thegrumpylil'hermit

Quote from: tony
Quote from: thegrumpylil'hermit
(i never even really liked Helmet, so Trevor Dunn's name didnt really attract my attention)

heh, shouldn't have anyway -- trevor dunn wasn't in helmet! :lol:

whoops...whatever, i was never really a fan of Mr. Bungle either.  I must have gotten my Ipecac supergroups all mixed up.  For some reason, i was thinking of John Stanier who's in Tomahawk(although he plays the drums  :? ) and ive read that Page Hamiliton or one or more members of Helmet were trained Jazz musicians, so that kinda threw me off as well.  Point is, i knew i wouldnt have to go very far in the Six Degrees of Separation game to get to Mike Patton eventually(not much of a fan of most of Mike's stuff either.  sorry, seems like i hate just about everything today, doesnt it? )

Hey Maggot....no, i wasnt talking about the guy with the Mohawk.  But i just realized something now after looking at your name.  Were YOU that mohawked guy wearing the Slipknot tshirt by any chance?  Maybe i should go back and read your posts again.  Cause you didnt really bother me one bit...you seemed pretty enthusiastic throughout the whole show, thats all that matters.  Unless you were just mocking Trevor Dunn's band.

Maggot

QuoteHey Maggot....no, I wasn't talking about the guy with the Mohawk. But I just realized something now after looking at your name. Were YOU that mohawked guy wearing the Slipknot tshirt by any chance?

No that was not me. I should have said were you talking about the BLONDE HAIRED WANNA B MOHAWK GUY. This guy had no idea that music was being played only 2 feet in front of him. Real jerk off that seemed to only be there to impair our view. Oh and to show off his Spiderman Tattoo the whole show. "look at my pretty tat, look at me, look at me"  ARGH!!!!!!!  :lol:

Quoteoverall, I was kind of disappointed with the show. Id have to disagree on the comment about Buzz's guitar tone being better than ever....sounded quite harsh, and not in a good way, not very pleasing to the ear at all.

I agree with this totally!!!   I actually had 6 first timers at this show so that really sucked. Although they enjoyed the show they all had the same thing to say at the end. "It was pretty good I just couldn't make out much of the songs". I hope they will at least give them another chance. The Melvins still rule!