Ozma/Bullhead/Eggnog/Lice-All Vinyl Reissues

Started by hagus667, November 17, 2014, 01:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meezer

Listening to Lice-All now.  :lol:
This is so powerful! I already checked out Bullhead and Ozma this morning.
This feels incredible. The house is sludged out.
I bought Hold It In, TMKA, and Fantomas box set recently.
Haven't even listened to those yet, but this is some special, religious type stuff, right here.  :shock:
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

deatheats

Quote from: Idlehanz on January 22, 2015, 08:22:56 PM
Is there street parking down there?  I avoid downtown like the plague.

There is some parking around there (even some right in front of the store), shouldn't be bad in the evenings...I think they are open till 8pm on weekdays.

deatheats

Quote from: meezer on January 22, 2015, 08:40:25 PM
Listening to Lice-All now.  :lol:
This is so powerful! I already checked out Bullhead and Ozma this morning.
This feels incredible. The house is sludged out.
I bought Hold It In, TMKA, and Fantomas box set recently.
Haven't even listened to those yet, but this is some special, religious type stuff, right here.  :shock:

Awesome dude...can't wait to give mine a proper listen.
Pretty great deal.  For some reason I never realized they were being packaged as two albums in one.

I really respect the Melvins for making the albums obviously different from the original presses, they could have easily made identical looking re-issues that further confused the ebay/online purchasing we like to do around here.

EGO the Living Planet

I'm really happy with the way these sound. Even the mp3s blow away my CDs.

Idlehanz

Quote from: deatheats on January 22, 2015, 08:56:48 PM
Quote from: Idlehanz on January 22, 2015, 08:22:56 PM
Is there street parking down there?  I avoid downtown like the plague.

There is some parking around there (even some right in front of the store), shouldn't be bad in the evenings...I think they are open till 8pm on weekdays.

Awesome, thanks!  Hope to get down there Saturday.

EGO the Living Planet

Quote from: Helen83 on January 22, 2015, 10:01:33 AM
The current CDs sound fine and are easy to secure at a good price so I doubt a remaster will appear of those.

That I strongly disagree with. As suggested by my previous post the CDs I have sound awful. Thin, tinny, distant and quiet. The vinyl and the mp3s sound way better. Ozma is like a whole new album. I'm a vinyl buyer and I already bought the LPs but CD buyers should want a sound boost on these albums.

Dumpster D

I wouldnt Say Ozma sounds Awful on Cd, but compared to the Tape you notice the Tightly shut Gate on the compression. Also at a very low Volume level compared to anything post-loudness war. It comes off Very thin and flat sounding as you mention. Im going to say this was Deliberate at the time, and it was done like that for a specific reason.

I think I mentioned Mastering is all different for Tape, CD and LP.

Digital was all still very new in 1989, so Im sure a lot of analog Guys were still working out the brickbats going from Tape to Digital Mastering.

compared to the Cassette I notice the Kick drum has a lot more Depth and the whole mix sounds a bit more dimensional..the OZMA cassette to my ear sounds more *oldschool* than the CD does...my ear says; THIS is how it should sound more than the CD does so I dont know why, but it sounds more closely Related to the GPT sound on Tape.

But alas, the volume on the Cassette is horrible (there it is again, real Figure of Loose speach, I would rather say the volume was Just LOW, the difference being it has a Nicer rounder Volume Swell at certain incraments where the CD is more fixed sounding at any volume. The Tape speed also will play Tricks with the Mix and your Ears and you will pick out more little things you didnt quite hear the same on the other master because of Wow and Flutter % etc.) as it was a low-quality duplication run on Cheap Ferric Tape with Really Low Grade shells and the high end suffers a lot of Drop, but Overall It comes through with something the CD doesnt have in terms of Gut and Power..Analog to analog, the Bias encoded on the Original Tape is still there on the Cassette while the CD doesnt have the Tape Bias signal on it, digital Cant *hear* the Range while the tape will capture it, and also the sweet way the upper mid Harmonics of the mix all distort and blend together on tape...the digital rendering again, cant boast that in the mix....Then Again, Its another can of worms to now Assume this all was mastered Digitally then Pressed. Nothing wrong with that. Lets Presume The original recordings and Masters Might not have been all they *could* be at that point, and therefore You could easily Fix whatever you didnt like originally.

doesnt sound like the band did to these Re-issues what George L. Did to the Original Star wars movies.

I cant wait to hear these!

Captain CoryCory

Just got em' today and saving that special listen for Sunday night. Right off the bat they look freakin' amazing!

Chief Ten Beers

Got these slabs o' wax today in the mail too(Bull Moose). Gonna throw 'em on in a bit.

(PAUL)

I listened to the mp3s and the rips on my computer from the CDs (192 AAC format) and couldn't really tell too much of a difference. Now I only listened to a couple of songs for comparison (Oven, Anaconda, Wispy) with my headphones (some Bose Around Ear headphones, forget the exact model number), and I will say that the mp3s do sound better, but you don't really have to replace your CDs if you don't want to. From what I've heard though (only Bullhead so far) the reissued vinyl sounds the best.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

WeEmptyRooms

So where is the best place to order these? With okay postage to Australia?

Helen83

Quote from: WeEmptyRooms on January 23, 2015, 05:38:28 PM
So where is the best place to order these? With okay postage to Australia?

Rocking Horse Records in Brisbane have them. They used to have a website but I can't seem to find them now? They also sell on eBay....here's a listing...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/391006460814?nav=SEARCH

Just call them up and pay over the phone and grab'em both.

didlisquat

I haven't listened to the Vinyl yet, but the MP3 download quality is no improvement from the cd downloads I did years ago.

I already had these albums on vinyl. The real reason for my purchase was in hopes that Bullhead, Ozma and Lysol got a bump up on my ipod. Eggnog always sounded good, so that wasn't a issue.

I love all of these albums no matter.

To add a little insult to injury, USPS sliced through my priority mail and damaged the Ozma / Bullhead. Fed Ex those thing if you can.

Luckily I'm not a "collector", as long as the vinyl isn't hurt I can deal with it.
when man's only distant relative
has descended on his own
you will know

Dumpster D

MP3s can die!  :x (sorry, I had a minidisc player at one point, and it was pure suckness)