Melvins Lividity + Aspergers=Luckiest Woman Alive

Started by ellenbee19, November 23, 2014, 01:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicismyradar

I'm on the spectrum. This is an interesting topic, because I never thought about the fact that maybe I was experiencing synethesia whilst listening to music.
Also, on other notes touched on here, My favorite instrument to play is the drums, but my favorite instrument is the bass. With all of this speak of low frequency revervibrations, I also like my guitar downtuned and fuzzy. Culminating in a dense wall of sound. I do like cacophonous sounds more than the next guy.
And on that, I almost always sleep with a light on. A desk-lamp type, usually shining down on my bed and surrounding environs, and I don't know how people go without. I think it's mostly because I want to be able to see if I get up in the middle of the night, which also the reasoning behind why I wear my glasses in bed. And leaving the TV or a youtube video on usually helps.
Did I mention I can also process two differential streams of linguistic content, i.e. Listening to a speaker and reading something, and analyzing and compartmentalizing both. I'm not sure many other humans can do that, but I don't know.
Also, because oneupsmanship, I'm ambidextrous.

Bro Hammer

Quote from: musicismyradar on November 27, 2014, 01:26:40 PM
I'm on the spectrum. This is an interesting topic, because I never thought about the fact that maybe I was experiencing synethesia whilst listening to music.
Also, on other notes touched on here, My favorite instrument to play is the drums, but my favorite instrument is the bass. With all of this speak of low frequency revervibrations, I also like my guitar downtuned and fuzzy. Culminating in a dense wall of sound. I do like cacophonous sounds more than the next guy.
And on that, I almost always sleep with a light on. A desk-lamp type, usually shining down on my bed and surrounding environs, and I don't know how people go without. I think it's mostly because I want to be able to see if I get up in the middle of the night, which also the reasoning behind why I wear my glasses in bed. And leaving the TV or a youtube video on usually helps.
Did I mention I can also process two differential streams of linguistic content, i.e. Listening to a speaker and reading something, and analyzing and compartmentalizing both. I'm not sure many other humans can do that, but I don't know.
Also, because oneupsmanship, i'm ambidextrous.

Do you think the drums just offer more return when it comes to sensory input/output?

Mints

Quote from: musicismyradar on November 27, 2014, 01:26:40 PM

Also, because oneupsmanship, i'm ambidextrous.

Ambidextrous? I've seen it with my own eyes, so yeah. The other one, however, provokes question marks. It sounds fascinating but it smells like a steaming pile of nope.

musicismyradar

Quote from: Bro Hammer on November 27, 2014, 03:58:39 PM
Do you think the drums just offer more return when it comes to sensory input/output?
To tell you the truth, I think its because its active and all around, with a lot more to do. But, I'm still not entirely sure myself what my draw to it is. I like how complex you can make things sound but keep them very simple. I like to jazz drum, so that might be a bit different than a ?small? child's way around a set. But maybe your child will, with practice, sound more like a jazz drumming type, with a lot going on all at once, very fastly, but still sounding interesting. It might have to do with the activity and movement of the playing, but I don't know.

Quote from: Mints on November 27, 2014, 07:59:27 PM
Ambidextrous? I've seen it with my own eyes, so yeah. The other one, however, provokes question marks. It sounds fascinating but it smells like a steaming pile of nope.
My therapist didn't believe me either. I didn't know it was "special" until I watched a youtube video where a guy made a joke about it, by putting typed messages as visuals while talking about something else, and in the typed visuals saying something along the lines of:
"Now you're gonna have to rewind the video to hear what i'm saying because it's impossible to process two streams of linguistic information"
I asked my psychologist about it, and he said It's very, VERY rare that someone could do that, but he could prepare a test to figure out the truth behind my statements.
It included a paragraph that was supposed to take as long to read as an audio clip played over it. Then I had to repeat both in some form, I choose written, and I copied both exactly. He was VERY surprised. He wouldn't give me exact numbers on how many people could do the same thing though.
Again, it was one of those things I thought everyone else could do.

JUDY

Quote from: musicismyradar on November 27, 2014, 10:40:03 PM

Again, it was one of those things I thought everyone else could do.

Fascinating

A question for those of you reporting to be on the spectrum. Is it Melvins slow and low that you're most into? How do you feel about Honky? For me, that one might be the weirdest in terms of variety and listening experiences.The feeling I get from Lysol and Stag can be super intense in a meditative way as well. I don't consider myself to be on the spectrum, but Melvins fans are unique in way. I used to joke and say people (like me) that were heavily into them must have 'broke brains.' There are so many unexpected things going on it's like super exciting for my brain to process it. I wouldn't call it a challenge to listen to, but more like a progressive process that my mind and body really enjoy. I don't, like, hear colors as described, but it can be very overwhelming in sensation. I can't say any other band does that for me. Ween does sometimes, but not like this.

(the) Razor

I'm not autistic but I have an INTJ personality type (rarest of the 16). I think you are onto something when Melvin's fans have broke brains, not sure what it is but they hold attention for decades and are a very personal band. I love music but theres not any other band like it.
Don't click this

Bro Hammer

Quote from: (the) Razor on November 28, 2014, 03:49:29 PM
they hold attention for decades and are a very personal band. I love music but theres not any other band like it.

This^.
I love music. LOVE all of it but the Melvins a truly peerless. Over the last 20 some odd years I've gone from getting into one style of music to another but I have never, NEVER strayed from the Melvins. I've always had a sense of pride that when someone asks me if I have a favorite band I have an immediate answer. It seems harder for most people to be able to pick just one band and say they're the best. Not us Melvin heads. And they are such a personal band, for me that I can't even fathom a life without them. They've been a part of me for slightly more than half of my life and I don't see that changing.

FartLips

My son is autistic. And hates the melvins. Reminds me to trade him in for another one. :P
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

JUDY

Quote from: FartLips on November 28, 2014, 07:55:50 PM
My son is autistic. And hates the melvins. . :P

You're not being specific enough by saying what he likes and what he doesn't like. Like, does he not like music? My bro is weird about music sometimes, you just need to find his comfort zone. He can listen to movies on top volume, but music needs to be super heavy and low. Or high and low. If that makes sense. Don't be like, "Hey, I'm turning on loud and obnoxious music now", or worse...do it without warning....so be gentle. I don't know his age or interests, but just give sensory play things out in the open, like coloring or legos or play-dough (I have a homemade recipe that is nasal sensory if you want it) and put on Lividity. It might go better than you think  :anonymous:

I love music but theres not any other band like it.
Yep. I think we're onto something here.... :buzz:

INTJ personality type (rarest of the 16)

I have an idea, but am not quite certain of what INTJ is, exactly. Can you please tell us about it?

JUDY

As some of you on the lower end of the board know, I'm more than half way through an intensive M.ed Masters of Visual Arts Education program. In a few months, I'll be certified to teach visual arts and media arts, K-12, museum and jr college level. But I've always really had a heart with special needs and art therapy. It's for my brother. I'm a psychology nut and warm hearted person (scorpio) and the  'spectrum' and sensors associated with that are truly fascinating to me. Because of that, I really appreciate to hear your likes and dislikes.

Right now, I'm working university hours at a school with children who have severe special needs. The art we create together is amazing. We roll paint balls and use remote control ladybug doodlers stuffed with stripped sharpie markers on a fixed table. The work is just beautiful. The kids don't express the need or want for music, it mostly makes them distracted and anxious. However, I do imagine my future self doing this with highly functional kids on the spectrum. I can't even imagine the awesome things we could accomplish with one another.

I will play Melvins responsibly.

Bro Hammer

Like I said before, I usually listen to music the most when I'm in the car. If the kids are with me I always start what ever I'm listening to off at low volume. Inevitably I'll hear a tiny voice from the back seat say, "turn it up please" and it's my oldest. Once that happens I'm in and I'll crank it. Then there will come a time when she decides that she wants to listen to a certain song over and over. The first time she told me to turn the music up was when I was listening to Battlefields Forever. I nearly lost it! I couldn't believe she was diggin' on Big Biz! It definitely doesn't happen every time but when it does it's awesome. One of her songs she will ask to play again and again is this little gem by Company Flow-

http://youtu.be/lZL6uOByIGE
I call it the froggy song and every time I play it she gets this huge smile on her face. It just makes me so happy to see music making her happy.
She didn't really care for the Melvins until "Hold It In". Now she'll ask to have that turned up and funny enough I think her favorite song on there is Barcelonian Horseshoe Pit simply because she gets this look on her face like she's in paradise when that song comes on. The main thing, like JUDY said is I never force it or catch her by surprise with music and if she doesn't like what we're listening to I'll change it. It usually works in my favor though because when she asks me to "turn it up" I blast that shit and then it drowns out her sister asking the normal four year old questions of why, when and where that I've already answered a billion times. :)

(the) Razor

Quote from: JUDY on November 29, 2014, 12:44:49 AM
I have an idea, but am not quite certain of what INTJ is, exactly. Can you please tell us about it?

If it weren't for the internet and modern society, I'd be dressed in a grey robe and living in a cave on the edge of town for the rest of my life...if possible with many records to listen to and hard problems to solve. Basically.  :lol:

But seriously do google it, the myers-brigg personality test is well worth taking. It is not astrology, it is astonishingly accurate and it is uncanny how well each personality is described (there are 16 basic types).

http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test
Don't click this

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

ilduclo

' he did a slow striptease of his character armor, and the crowd yelled "KEEP IT ON!" '

William Burroughs, The Yage Letters

(the) Razor

Quote from: ))))(((( on December 04, 2014, 05:47:45 AM
Quote from: (the) Razor on December 04, 2014, 02:21:26 AM
http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test
I gave it a shot! Not sure about some of the particulars in the longer, detailed breakdown tho.

Oh snap - another INTJ.  :lol:

I guess there's varying degrees of it obviously, but I was amazed personally reading some of the descriptions in there, it was like reading a bio. Not just that site, but plenty of others too.

I wonder if there is a correlation between introvertedness (not a word) and the Melvins? My bet would be yes.

Don't click this