Melvins With Steven McDonald On Bass

Started by meezer, December 03, 2015, 07:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

black stallion

Quote from: ))))(((( on February 26, 2017, 10:21:30 AM
I like that Steve has been confirmed for bass duties for at least 2 new Melvins albums. I'd like to see him stick around on bass for at least a couple of years and a few records. Same goes for Pinkus. I like when Melvins have new bassists for them to have a defined "era". To be seen to have a decent amount of time in the band and then to be able to look back at that phase as a whole.

agreed
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

meezer

Wassup with this new Gibson Explorer style axe?

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

black stallion

i think he used that bass during 90's with RK

black stallion

the more i watch this guy the more i love his style of playing

zlbenson

I've really come around to this guy, after seeing him with the Melvins a couple times now and hearing the new album. I like what he adds musically, with a clear appreciation for 60's rock and psych stuff. I think he is closest to Mark D (if comparing to former bassists).
twitter: zlbenson

GiveMe45

Quote from: black stallion on July 31, 2017, 11:52:27 AM
the more i watch this guy the more i love his style of playing
At Bash I stood on the side of the stage and it was the side of the stage that he was on so I was about 15 feet away from him. Had so much fun watching him

glen

"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

John Schuller

I have a feeling that this is now the definitive line up of the Melvins.

1) Steven is a bad ass bass player
2) Steven is clearly a hard working person
3) He comes from a band that Buzz and Dale love and has endless stories that he can certainly tell
4) He loves the Melvins business model
5) He is having fun and is not an asshole

I just do not see them getting another bass player at this point, I mean, they just went through the era of TONS of bassists in a short amount of time, so the logical thing for Melvins to do now is just keep Steven as a permanent member.

Plus - he is the only other person in the last 25 years to get to do a Melvins Solo Album.

amazonAMAZON

I agree, I think maybe they were saving this honor for the right person. The more I listen to Death and the solo record and "Give it to Me" the more I appreciate how right he is. The test for me was "Sacrifice" live. Not that it's a difficult thing to play, but it's got to feel right. Must say, though, Jared also nailed that one.

))))((((

I don't fault his playing one bit. Not at all. I can sort of tolerate the enthusiasm and silliness on stage too however im not personally fond of his singing voice or the song stylings he brings to the band. He looks the part of a Melvins bassist but really i wish he just got those influences out in Redd Kross (a band i don't like) and worked more with OFF (a band i do really like!). For my money i wish Jeff or Trevor were full time Melvins instead.

glen

you haven't seen the last of Jeff Pinkus.

just sayin. 
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

linoleum blownapart

Quote from: glen on August 01, 2017, 10:14:09 AM
you haven't seen the last of Jeff Pinkus.

just sayin.
2nded on that one.
thrower of the bong water balloons

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: ))))(((( on August 01, 2017, 10:12:04 AM
I don't fault his playing one bit. Not at all. I can sort of tolerate the enthusiasm and silliness on stage too however im not personally fond of his singing voice or the song stylings he brings to the band. He looks the part of a Melvins bassist but really i wish he just got those influences out in Redd Kross (a band i don't like) and worked more with OFF (a band i do really like!). For my money i wish Jeff or Trevor were full time Melvins instead.
Welcome back!
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

black stallion

AxelFoley

Steven is a nice guy and a great bass player, I hope they'll keep him for a longer time (or hopefully he won't get annoyed with Buzz and Dale too soon :P)