Buzz Osborne's guide to the greatest Melvins albums ever made

Started by rimb, June 28, 2016, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(PAUL)

Must be the English weather. That or all the doom music.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

spunkmonkey

QuoteOr the Butthole Surfers truth be told.

Greatest band ever!

LuckMach3

Quote from: (PAUL) on June 29, 2016, 04:38:50 PM

I've actually heard that Brits can be depressed due to the weather.  You may be on to something.  It's part of the reason why I love Hotlanta!   8)

Quote from: spunkmonkey on June 29, 2016, 05:18:39 PM

Greatest band ever!

I'm not even kidding when I say that their Blind Eye Sees All dvd, that I bought in 2005, was life changing.  As soon as I saw it I said to myself, "Yes!  This is amazing.  These guys get it.  This is exactly the type of band I need to start."

And that's exactly what I did within a year!  I started a band that I felt like was full of humor, wit, satire, and it went exactly as planned.  The people who got what we were trying to do called us genius and the best band to come out of Augusta, GA since James Brown (Jesus Christ.....I take pride in my work and am very grateful for compliments but I don't know about that.)  I also met this one Melvins fan who thought I would be perfect for his band, Sick Sick Sick, and he literally drove 2 and a half hours to pick me up and take me home for practice because I didn't have a car at the time.  I was even shocked to find out that themelvins.net's very own Dumpster D was already a fan of theirs!  He was a casual fan and probably doesn't remember but hey, it was a cool feeling.   8)

If you want to check out our nonsense here is the very first show we ever played.  We even interrupted our "emo" song to play "The Bloated Pope" back in 2006.  I agree with the fans and Buzz, Pigs of the Roman Empire ruled from day one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVLLIGuJ0-U

Oh right!  This was a thread about The Melvins!  One more thing I wanted to bring up was that I remember Buzz giving Bullhead a 6/10 in that CMJ article while he gave Lysol a 9/10.  Maybe he changed his mind?  Maybe opinions aren't always set in stone?  Honestly my favorite MELVINS albums changes from week to week.
Buttholeman is a power tripping emotional abuser.  He censors my posts and says I need mental health help.  He's a jerk.  Please don't listen to him.  People DO love and respect your opinions.  I'm one of those people.  I love you. PM me if you're stressed.

Start with the following link if you feel sad:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3ZQPezglQ

The Minneapolis Kid

Quote from: LuckMach3 on June 29, 2016, 08:54:21 PM

I'm not even kidding when I say that their Blind Eye Sees All dvd, that I bought in 2005, was life changing.  As soon as I saw it I said to myself, "Yes!  This is amazing.  These guys get it.  This is exactly the type of band I need to start."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVLLIGuJ0-U

Blind Eye Sees All is fucking amazing. Hands down one of the best "live" videos of any band and I can see why and how it would change a persons life! For me is the video of them on some public access station in NYC and they tripping their asses off. At one point King just turns around and starts hitting the wall behind them, Paul's eyes are gigantic and the bass player, i think it was Trevor Malcolm at the time is just staring off into space like he's not even there but is still playing quite well and Gibby is GibbyI can watch that video over and over. It's funny because the punk rock pre-Rubin Beastie Boys are on the same show. I willing to bet the Surfers scared the shit out of everybody in that studio. Dammit now I have to just post it because I want to watch it again. The Butthole Surfers start at 11:07 mark but the BBoys set is decent too.

https://youtu.be/bezWjn1rT1E

That video you posted, to be honest I just kinda skimmed through but I loved it. LOVE IT. I could write an essay on why I think these kind of groups are essential to modern music and btw that bass player has one of the best sounding set up, whatever you wanna call it. That bass sounded tit's!

There's a local band that I love called Repulsar and your video kind of reminded me of their shenanigans as well. The sound and band set up is different but fuckin' A! Here you should check 'em out:[url]http://primadonahue.com/repulsar.html[url]. One of the things they do is every show they show up with a shitload of bubble wrap and eventually just toss all of it out at the audience. I'm sure you can guess what happens next. They're great and their recorded stuff is HORRIBLE but I think it's meant to be that way, but they are one of the funnest bands to see.

Okay! derail over! sorry y'all. Let's get back on topic, but if you wanna talk more Butthole Surfers I'm sure there's a thread in Music and I can talk about them until I'm done talking about them.

And yeah, Buzz wtf? Now that others mentioned it at least HAT should be on that list! All in all he picked some great ones.

JUDY

Quote from: LuckMach3 on June 29, 2016, 08:54:21 PM
Quote from: (PAUL) on June 29, 2016, 04:38:50 PM

I've actually heard that Brits can be depressed due to the weather.  You may be on to something.  It's part of the reason why I love Hotlanta!   8)

Quote from: spunkmonkey on June 29, 2016, 05:18:39 PM

Greatest band ever!

That DVD. Is amazing. I'm glad it inspired you!

(around the 40 minute mark)
And then a lot of you might think that there is a guy that is sitting in front of my room and he doesnt have any arms and he doesnt have any legs and his name is matt
yeah
and well there's this girl with another thing
and
we just want to play one more song

Pure. Performance. Gold. The entire recording is monumental.

BERZERKER

Is Buzz some kind of fanboy, trying to know better than us die harders? He isn`t even a forumist on the board, after what I can see!   :x

Dumpster D

Quote from: LuckMach3 on June 29, 2016, 03:50:31 PM
"It was a really fun record to do, and I'd love to do another one with those guys."  Buzz on Hold It In.

Yes!!! Hold It In is highly underrated.  So is Paul Leary for that matter.  It felt so good to hear him playing guitar and screaming again.  It was probably better than what the Butthole Surfers would have come up with at this point.

Also I've always said that Nude with Boots was one of their best records.  I'm glad to see that Buzz still thinks so 8 years later!  Seriously people, give that one another spin and enjoy it for what it is.

Nude with boots spent a whole summer in my Discman back to back day in day out and I have gotten some friends into the melvins lately..it took a lot of work but its paying off, most people wont approach the band Just based on their name...once they hear some of it though they always go: woah! who is this! this is fucking awesome! gotta sneak it in there for em..subjecting people is not a straight forward game, you gotta make them feel like they discovered it themselves.

))))((((

Quote from: Dumpster D on June 30, 2016, 06:15:21 PM
I have gotten some friends into the melvins lately..it took a lot of work but its paying off
It always interests me when people here (or fans of other bands on other forums) talk about trying to get their friends or strangers into the band they like. I've never felt that way myself. In fact as much as music is very important to me, i rarely actually discuss it with people i know. I just know people like their own things and don't really care. I don't feel i need to vindicate my tastes by getting others into it or having someone else to talk with about a band i enjoy. I enjoy listening to what i like in my own little bubble.

The Minneapolis Kid

Quote from: ))))(((( on July 01, 2016, 06:07:54 AM
Quote from: Dumpster D on June 30, 2016, 06:15:21 PM
I have gotten some friends into the melvins lately..it took a lot of work but its paying off
It always interests me when people here (or fans of other bands on other forums) talk about trying to get their friends or strangers into the band they like. I've never felt that way myself. In fact as much as music is very important to me, i rarely actually discuss it with people i know. I just know people like their own things and don't really care. I don't feel i need to vindicate my tastes by getting others into it or having someone else to talk with about a band i enjoy. I enjoy listening to what i like in my own little bubble.

Yeah but what if you make a friend who's really into Stevie Ray Vaugh  but has no idea who Jimi Hendrix is? Would you just leave them in the dark or educate? That's how I always look at it.
For instance the most recent women to rip out my heart and stomp on it liked Eyehategod but had never heard of the Melvins. It was my duty to turn her on. Ofcourse she ended up liking them a lot.
My go to has always been Houdini but I haven't really met anybody lately who hasn't heard of the Melvins so I haven't had to do an introduction but if I do in the future I think Nude With Boots would be the perfect intro album! It's their most accessible album these days. It's got it's straightforward stuff and just enough weird to prepare them for babtisim by Melvins. Strangely enough I lived with four other dudes many years ago and I turned them all on with Honky, of all records! I think they liked it so much because the first time I played it for everyone in the house I was using it to clear out a house party gone wrong. We were invaded by drunk backpack hip hop kids and they made it all the way through They All Must Be Slaughtered but once Mombius Hibachi kicked in they couldn't get out of there fast enough :lol: I remember hearing one exclaim loudly "THIS SHIT IS SATANIC!!!" with true fear in his voice. Once they were gone we sat and listened to the whole thing and I followed it with Stag. It was a huge success!
If I can tell that a person wouldn't like them in the first place I won't even try. I've noticed, not all but most Tool fans I've run into don't want to hear about 'em strangely enough. Even when I play them Divorced their response is usually, yeah it's cool but......