Crystal Fairy! New Band w/ Buzz, Dale, Teri Gender Bender & Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

Started by vince furnier, October 04, 2016, 08:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rimb

POOP GRENADE

I'm into it.

It would be cool to see this presented as a Melvins release ("woah Teri and Omar are IN melvins") but new moniker suggests a more equal share of songwriting duties.

Teri to handle bass/low end (keys) if this ever goes live?

I cannot ever imagine a Melvins/Volta Tour.

Dumpster D

Godflesh

Quote from: POOP GRENADE on October 05, 2016, 12:04:15 AM
I cannot ever imagine a Melvins/Volta collaboration album.

Fixed.

Although.... This might be shocking and unexpected enough for long-time fans.
--- Heavy user ---

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: ))))(((( on October 04, 2016, 02:07:14 PM
I think it will be interesting to see if now Buzz has worked with Omar, if a load of people from here all of a sudden are going to be big Omar fans. Which kind of happened with Le Butcherettes. Almost no one here cared about the band until they got the Melvins seal of approval.

Duh! Of course that shit's gonna happen ... what else would you expect? Actually seems like you fully expect this to happen and are just being polite framing it as a question. I'll take Melvins fans for $1000 Alex.

Le Butcherettes, meh ...
Helms Alee, meh ...
Totimoshi, meh ...
I could go on but meh.
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

buddy holiday

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on October 05, 2016, 01:49:47 AM
Le Butcherettes, meh ...
Helms Alee, meh ...
Totimoshi, meh ...
I could go on but meh.
that's my opinion too...

the crystal fairy song sounds ok - I am glad it's not under the melvins banner though...

meezer

Le Butcherettes, meh ...
Helms Alee, meh ...
Totimoshi, meh ...
I could go on but meh.
I really value these opinions. But they don't affect mine.

Quote from: ))))(((( on October 04, 2016, 02:07:14 PM
I think it will be interesting to see if now Buzz has worked with Omar, if a load of people from here all of a sudden are going to be big Omar fans. Which kind of happened with Le Butcherettes. Almost no one here cared about the band until they got the Melvins seal of approval.
I've never gotten into any of his music, but I can't say I ever tried. If he pulls them in a general direction away from stuff like Napalm Death toward more stuff I like, Failure and Shudder To Think.... My hero!  :love:
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

DToxico

Quote from: ))))(((( on October 04, 2016, 02:07:14 PMOdd that 'Hold It In' or 'Three Men And A Baby' were also collaborations but still credited as "Melvins" whereas this is considered separate from that.

Since when

Captain CoryCory

After reading Ian's post the project doesn't seem all that shocking but a bit sugarcoated to make it seem like a huge deal. Teri and Omar have had a good working relationship for nearly ten years and there's also the Ipecac connection all four musicians share now. Maybe John Frusciante for a guest spot?  :lol:

I'm sure this album will be great but I'm curious to see what follows of it in the next few years. I'm sure a tour or two will be a given next year in support of the record but then where does it go from there? A One-off like any Les Claypool side project or does all four parties keep it going strong for the years to come?

In closing there's a few musicians who would have been legit shocking to casual and die-hard fans, like Claypool or that Grohl guy who's also in a bunch of bands.

meezer

Quote from: Captain CoryCory on October 05, 2016, 11:32:16 AM

I'm sure this album will be great but I'm curious to see what follows of it in the next few years. I'm sure a tour or two will be a given next year in support of the record but then where does it go from there? A One-off like any Les Claypool side project or does all four parties keep it going strong for the years to come?

No doubt Teri is on her way up in the world. Omar, I don't know. Melvins.... documentary coming out, trending on Facebook every couple of months. Hold on to your adult diapers, folks!  :shock:
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

black stallion

Quote from: buddy holiday on October 05, 2016, 02:02:54 AM
Le Butcherettes, meh ...
Helms Alee, meh ...
Totimoshi, meh ...
I could go on but meh.
that's my opinion too...

the crystal fairy song sounds ok - I am glad it's not under the melvins banner though...

Totally agree with you guys...
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

(the) flutter nuts

Hey Meez.... did anyone post about this on the The Facebook Melvins page yet?

:lol:
I got the shits real bad.

meezer

buddy holiday

Quote from: ))))(((( on October 06, 2016, 08:59:42 AM
Quote from: buddy holiday on October 05, 2016, 02:02:54 AM
I am glad it's not under the melvins banner though...
I know what you mean and im coming around more to that idea myself based on what i think this record could turn out to be like. However im curious how do you (or others) feel about the Paul Leary songs on Hold It In or most of the tracks on The Crybaby in terms of not being (in the true sense) Melvins songs? Although it pains me to say this, i would say Crystal Fairy as a project probably wouldn't be out of place within the Melvins discography on the basis of those sort of more tenuous records or songs they have put out in the past with other musicians involved.
hold it in and crybaby are great...
i think i just can kind of relate more to those musicians that were involved in these collaborations than butcherettes or mars volta / at the drive in.
plus if it does not say melvins on it i don't "have to" collect it, which is good for my wallet  :wink: